Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I wonder what Boxes this service will be avaialble on?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They could use the standard hd box. They have interactive buttons for Euro news, so the box is capable. Or RTE just blew the news on the horizons release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

The cable modem was only enabled in the DVRs last year and currently do nothing. Really there is nothing stopping them releasing a software update to support a UI and use the IP network already available to stream the RTE content, direct from RTE similar to iOS devices. Isn't VOD already available in The Netherlands on our existing DVRs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Do people reckon this willl only be available on the UPC HD DVR's?or would it work on the SD! DVR's too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It doesn't say what year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Should work on Sd box aswell.

Anything firmed up yet on the exact release date & what UPC decorders it will work on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

do rte upscale the programing for the player, anytime ive looked on it the video seems horribly pixilated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭decies

Just talked to UPC repair man today, their hoping to get tv3 player as well, still in talks with bbc and itv for interactive content !!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There was a suggestion in an Irish Times article this week that RTÉ Aertel Digital will also make an appearance on UPC later in the year. No date given though.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0419/1224314921261.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 dekop

Upc have being banging on for years that there going to introduce everything from interactive, movies on demand, for years now, end result they don't do any of them.
    The most progressive feature they did bring to their tv service was hd, which was well overdue, plus hd selection is awful, think sky at that time were moving on to 3d at that time.
    Upc are crap.
    I'm still a upc customer which might contradict everything i have just said, just needed to have a rant, thanks upc, always there when i need to relieve some stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The OpenTV variant of Aertel Digital is being finished off at the moment, the groundwork was put in place last year as part of migrating everything to fit the digital service on DTT.
    UPC were also recently seeking to hire people with VoD systems experience specifically noted as part of the job spec.

So while UPC have been banging on about interactive services for years, it should finally happen this summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

dekop wrote: »
    Upc have being banging on for years that there going to introduce everything from interactive, movies on demand, for years now, end result they don't do any of them.
    The most progressive feature they did bring to their tv service was hd, which was well overdue, plus hd selection is awful, think sky at that time were moving on to 3d at that time.
    Upc are crap.
    I'm still a upc customer which might contradict everything i have just said, just needed to have a rant, thanks upc, always there when i need to relieve some stress.

The new Horizon Box will bring all this check out the Horizon thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056579482.
    3D? Dead as a door nail until we can view it without glasses. Sky bolted out of the 3D gate before they realised what a load of tosh it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

A red button has appeared on RTE1/2 and TV3/3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 e46318ise

no red button on mine yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭decies

Mines a Cisco dvr , the button is not on screen , you have to press the red button and you get a service not available announcement .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I've a Cisco HD box, and pressing the red button on RTE One, RTE Two, TV3 and 3e gives that message too

No red button on RTE Two HD, RTEjr or TRTE

Could be testing for RTE Aertel and 3 text

Try red twice. You get a please wait, then the service is not available message.

Sort of related. The on demand button is now active. It starts loading a menu for me then states its not available.

This is what I'm getting,

RedButton.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Could be testing for RTE Aertel and 3 text

Digital Aertel coming to UPC later this year according to an article in the Irish Times last week
    Likewise, RTÉ’s Aertel service will live on beyond the switch-off of analogue TV in October as Aertel Digital. It’s already available on Saorview and will make its way to UPC homes later this year, an RTÉ spokeswoman says, while the old version will be on the Sky platform.

Anyone hear an update on the launch date?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

celticbest wrote: »
    Anyone hear an update on the launch date?

Probably have to keep an eye on Twitter. UPC announces a lot of its stuff there.Keep an eye here. Or one day it'll be suddenly on your TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Can anybody else access the tv3/rte player menu but not actually watch anything?

And also, if ya go to channel 777 and just wait for a few seconds, a menu with the option of 'UPC on demand' comes up!
    Theres also an option for discovery on demand but its the same as the other 2 players, not working yet!

ciano1 wrote: »
    Can anybody else access the tv3/rte player menu but not actually watch anything?

And also, if ya go to channel 777 and just wait for a few seconds, a menu with the option of 'UPC on demand' comes up!
    Theres also an option for discovery on demand but its the same as the other 2 players, not working yet!

Was the channel locked before?! Getting access denied, indicating its a subscription channel.

Just tried red on discovery channel 208. The wait logo displays the discovery channel logo itself. Looks rather nice, then it fails to load. So from the looks of it, red button services will be coming to more channels soon!

Was the channel locked before?! Getting access denied, indicating its a subscription channel.

Don't know... Just noticed it tonight.
    The channel itself seems to have upc on demand previews on a loop.

Not sure if everyone can access it but heres some pics:
    IMG_20120508_004101.jpg

IMG_20120508_004030.jpg

IMG_20120508_003936.jpg

IMG_20120508_003832.jpg

IMG_20120508_003615.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jackindub

Just tried red on discovery channel 208. The wait logo displays the discovery channel logo itself. Looks rather nice, then it fails to load. So from the looks of it, red button services will be coming to more channels soon!

Just checked and on Disney and Disney junior a Disney logo pop up when you press red button. Interestingly on MGM it says " more films please wait" when you press red. The usual "this service is not available " message appears after a second or two. But at least a sign of things to come.

jackindub wrote: »
    Just checked and on Disney and Disney junior a Disney logo pop up when you press red button. Interestingly on MGM it says " more films please wait" when you press red. The usual "this service is not available " message appears after a second or two. But at least a sign of things to come.

MGM does the same thing for me as it does for 3/Rte player.... Loads up and brings me to the on demand menu.
    When I click on a programme I want to watch, the logo screen pops and nothing happens! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 jackindub

ciano1 wrote: »
    MGM does the same thing for me as it does for 3/Rte player.... Loads up and brings me to the on demand menu.
    When I click on a programme I want to watch, the logo screen pops and nothing happens! :(

Not getting that menu myself just the loading but seen as service isn't even launched yet I won't start complaining . Nice sign of things to come though.

Advertisement