Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

No On Demand for me (in Cork city). Pressed the Red Button, and it came up with an alert saying there's a problem with the wiring in my home; and suggested I run the test on the Test channel (999). Did so, and that failed too.

I've had problems in the last few days with the DVR box shutting down when switched on (mentioned in another thread), but it's strange that the picture quality is fine on my existing channels, yet On Demand fails completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

who_me wrote: »
    No On Demand for me (in Cork city). Pressed the Red Button, and it came up with an alert saying there's a problem with the wiring in my home; and suggested I run the test on the Test channel (999). Did so, and that failed too.

I've had problems in the last few days with the DVR box shutting down when switched on (mentioned in another thread), but it's strange that the picture quality is fine on my existing channels, yet On Demand fails completely.
    If the test on channel 999 is failing you have no or a bad return path.
    Look careful at your in house wiring and be sure you have a proper booster installed (if any) and you did not have cheap coax cable installed.

The On Demand application (the so called menu) is checking the return path before it shows the menu.

Although your picture might be perfect (MPEG can handle a lot of loss in the signal) you still can have a bad return (or no) return path. The docsis modulator inside your box is of a lot worse quality than the professional docsis modulators in the hub locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

All working here in Limerick, 2 questions, will on demand come from the 500gb per month broadband allowance or is it seperate.
    Also I dont know my pin, not sure if I ever set one, is there a default pin like 0000, then change it to what you want.

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    All working here in Limerick, 2 questions, will on demand come from the 500gb per month broadband allowance or is it seperate.
    Also I dont know my pin, not sure if I ever set one, is there a default pin like 0000, then change it to what you want.
    No, it does NOT use your 500 GB allowance per month. It is going via complete different path.

The default PIN code is 0000 unless already set (by you) to another code ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I have it now in Dougas, Cork. Looks impressive so far although the movies seem a bit costly at €4.99 but hopefully thats something that will come down a bit.

• Advertisement

WoodenShoe wrote: »
    If the test on channel 999 is failing you have no or a bad return path.
    Look careful at your in house wiring and be sure you have a proper booster installed (if any) and you did not have cheap coax cable installed.

The On Demand application (the so called menu) is checking the return path before it shows the menu.

Although your picture might be perfect (MPEG can handle a lot of loss in the signal) you still can have a bad return (or no) return path. The docsis modulator inside your box is of a lot worse quality than the professional docsis modulators in the hub locations.

Interesting, thanks!

I was told at the time of installation that I was the first HD customer in Cork; maybe that wasn't such a good thing! ;) I also have been in touch with them regarding broadband speeds, which they attributed to a flaw (still unresolved) outside the building; could this be the same issue I wonder?

That could be a flaw, but I've never heard for taking such a long time to be unresolved.
    If you connect your media box directly with the shortest cable you have (less than 1 meter) to the outlet in your house without anything else connected to it; are you able to see On Demand? If so; the flaw is not outside.

Do you have BB as well? And that is working properly? On Demand is using a the same return path.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Says it's not available in my area yet when trying it on the tv, but seems most have it in Cork at this stage,and it says its available on the website address check

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

titan18 wrote: »
    Says it's not available in my area yet when trying it on the tv, but seems most have it in Cork at this stage,and it says its available on the website address check

yes its on in cork alright, you didnt try the old turn it off and turn it back on? worked for me when it was working on one box and not on the other

just seen it today pretty good:)

hope new content is added regularly though, a bit bare at the moment, great selection of movies in fairness!

for once well done upc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Is it common for the service to go down. Been down all evening(in Galway). Frustrating when you've gotten used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭jmcc

Tested it today (Dunmore Road,Waterford). Quite good. Needs a back path so an ordinary amplifier in the path will cause problems. I guess this is the end for Xtravision if the movie selection keeps improving.

Regards...jmcc

That could be a flaw, but I've never heard for taking such a long time to be unresolved.
    If you connect your media box directly with the shortest cable you have (less than 1 meter) to the outlet in your house without anything else connected to it; are you able to see On Demand? If so; the flaw is not outside.

Do you have BB as well? And that is working properly? On Demand is using a the same return path.

Hmm, the outlet is about 4 metres away from the TV & media box etc., so that could be tricky. Could the length of that cable be the cause?

(The UPC broadband is working, but not delivering anything like the specified bandwidth. I'm on the 120Mbps package and typically getting about 20).

I'll call them, but I'm usually not home before the close of their support hours; and the first thing they ask is typically if you're at the TV to try some steps.

Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

I'm just wondering how often it will be updated or when new content will be added?

Buglim wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how often it will be updated or when new content will be added?

i was told by a upc agent today that when it is up and running in every place it should be then more new content will be added:)

Hmm, the outlet is about 4 metres away from the TV & media box etc., so that could be tricky. Could the length of that cable be the cause?

(The UPC broadband is working, but not delivering anything like the specified bandwidth. I'm on the 120Mbps package and typically getting about 20).
    4 metres shouldn't be a problem if you have nothing in between and are using a good quality cable. I am using Hirschmann KOKA 799 cable with KOKWI plugs. And my box is 8 metres away from the outlet. No booster and no splits in it.

I do have also 120 Mbps and I am reaching that during the day. Evening hours will be somewhere between 80 and 120 Mbps. But my (Cisco EPC-3212) modem is connected with just 30 cm cable. It took me some time to get all working in the way it should be and found out that the cable is the most important thing about it. Check that all before you call the guys :)

Good luck!

4 metres shouldn't be a problem if you have nothing in between and are using a good quality cable. I am using Hirschmann KOKA 799 cable with KOKWI plugs. And my box is 8 metres away from the outlet. No booster and no splits in it.

I do have also 120 Mbps and I am reaching that during the day. Evening hours will be somewhere between 80 and 120 Mbps. But my (Cisco EPC-3212) modem is connected with just 30 cm cable. It took me some time to get all working in the way it should be and found out that the cable is the most important thing about it. Check that all before you call the guys :)

Good luck!

Thanks. They installed the coax cables and splitters, so presumably if there's any problem there they have to fix it. I'll check the coaxial & Ethernet cables when I get home, to see if there's anything obvious.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭south

Having the same problem. Its bringing up the options but won't play anything

south wrote: »
    Having the same problem. Its bringing up the options but won't play anything

If you contact them, they'll ask you to try a couple of things: check the cabling for any loose connections; and then go to channel 999 and press the red button to start a test. It might also help if you made a note of the error message & code when you try to view something.

You could save a little time by doing these first, then getting on to UPC support. They'll send someone out shortly.

If you contact them, they'll ask you to try a couple of things: check the cabling for any loose connections; and then go to channel 999 and press the red button to start a test. It might also help if you made a note of the error message & code when you try to view something.

You could save a little time by doing these first, then getting on to UPC support. They'll send someone out shortly.

I also heard the bad news that the On Demand menu is visible for every one even if you do not have the connection to the actual system yet :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Just noticed,if you buy a movie on one box,it is not available to view on the other box.Not a huge thing,but it would be nice to say,be watching a film downstairs and finished watching it in bed.

I also heard the bad news that the On Demand menu is visible for every one even if you do not have the connection to the actual system yet :confused:

Probably true. I saw the 'Press the Red button" prompts on RTE and TV3 before the system had been rolled out in Cork. And I can still view the menus even though there's a problem viewing any of the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Anyone have a list of the Boxsets available On Demand? Or is that them all listed on their site? Doesn't seem to be much of a selection.

is it only me or isnt it possible to watch on demand at about 2a.m?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bubblessos

Living on Abbey Road, Ferrybank and still no UPC on demand. Have rang UPC and they cannot confirm when it will be available in this area (upc broadband is not available either). Curious to know what area in Ferrybank has UPC On Demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

If broadband is not available then On Demand won't ever be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

bubblessos wrote: »
    Living on Abbey Road, Ferrybank and still no UPC on demand. Have rang UPC and they cannot confirm when it will be available in this area (upc broadband is not available either). Curious to know what area in Ferrybank has UPC On Demand?

Any area that can't get UPC broadband is unlikely to also receive On-Demand as it works over their DOCSIS network.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

boardzz wrote: »
    If broadband is not available then On Demand won't ever be available.

you mean - not until at least Broadband is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

you mean - not until at least Broadband is available.

That's why I said if broadband is not available...duh

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

In Moyglass area of Lucan and still don't have this.
    Anyone in Lucan have it yet?

Advertisement