Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

Flip Flop wrote: »
    Just noticed that both the Good Wife and Blue Bloods have disappeared from the US Boxset selection. Very annoyed about this as I was only 2/3 through Season One of Blue Bloods and both shows weren't meant to expire till December 31st.:mad:
    For the record all the shows that had disappeared are now back. Don't know what the problem was but I'm delighted they've fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Just noticed that both the Good Wife and Blue Bloods have disappeared from the US Boxset selection. Very annoyed about this as I was only 2/3 through Season One of Blue Bloods and both shows weren't meant to expire till December 31st.:mad:
    For the record all the shows that had disappeared are now back. Don't know what the problem was but I'm delighted they've fixed it.

Still no Dexter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Infoanon

On Demand crashing all evening - Dublin South West

MGM Movies down to 7 movies.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Doesn't the UPC feed just pull down the same video from the same CDN as the website?
    No, it would be unheard of to give direct access to a CDN like that to a 3rd party like UPC. RTE would feed any content that they have given UPC rights to play out to them
    You would think RTE would have rights for 7/21 day catch up online regardless of the client,

Rights have to be negotiated and paid for for every single mode of broadcast. Its very very far from one Rights negotiation suits all broadcast scenarios.

UPC OnDemand is IP based, our media boxes are just another client.

UPC on Demand is Not IP based and UPC STBs are not a IP broadcast client.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

So, moved into my new address on the assumption that UPC on demand was available in mine area. It is. But it turns out the monthly package i pay isn't high enough? Anyone else have this problem? I assumed it was available to all UPC customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

quarryman wrote: »
    So, moved into my new address on the assumption that UPC on demand was available in mine area. It is. But it turns out the monthly package i pay isn't high enough? Anyone else have this problem? I assumed it was available to all UPC customers.

Yes that is correct. It is only available to people who

1) Are in an enabled area
    2) Have the correct box type
    3) Are on a higher package (the amount of shows you will see depend on your package)

Off the top of my head I think it's a min of around 35 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Infoanon wrote: »
    On Demand crashing all evening - Dublin South West

MGM Movies down to 7 movies.....

Couldn't get Firefighters on RTE via UPC all weekend.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

zg3409 wrote: »
    Yes that is correct. It is only available to people who
    3) Are on a higher package (the amount of shows you will see depend on your package)

You get On-Demand no matter what your package is (as long as you are an enabled area and have a UPC STB) but: if you have the Digital Value package, you cannot access TV Box Sets. You can still view the TV Players (i.e. catch-up TV, like RTÉ Player and 3player) and order PPV movies though.

You need either the Digital Select or Digital Max packages to access TV Box Sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

half the shows I want to watch seem to "crash" as I play them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

on demand available in Carlow as of today liking what I see so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

icdg wrote: »
    You get On-Demand no matter what your package is (as long as you are an enabled area and have a UPC STB) but: if you have the Digital Value package, you cannot access TV Box Sets. You can still view the TV Players (i.e. catch-up TV, like RTÉ Player and 3player) and order PPV movies though.

You need either the Digital Select or Digital Max packages to access TV Box Sets.

That is not what I was told by the UPC rep on the phone.

He informed me since I was only paying for the minimum package that I wasn't entitled to the On-Demand service.

They want me to pay extra to get it. Fúck em, they can stick their on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭me89

Working in Kilkenny now

Edit: Wont let me play anything, says its not part of my subscription,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

icdg wrote: »
    Nope, the adverts are played as separate videos online, whereas the UPC version has no commercial adverts, but incorporates a single trailer as part of the same video as the show. This means the videos for the UPC version are actually of slightly longer lengths than on the website.

Yes I've noticed the difference in the ads. Do you know if RTE host those videos, are they up on Akamai or does UPC host them? The process must take time as TV3 tends to be hours behind RTE in terms of getting content up on UPC, but on their website it's instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

patrickc wrote: »
    on demand available in Carlow as of today liking what I see so far.

Yes, available in Carlow. Not sure there's anything I'd want to look at on there at the moment though.

New "TV Search" service added to the EPG today. Go into guide press search and go to TV search. Put in the name of a prog you're looking for and it comes up with dates and times etc...
    Nice feature.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yes I've noticed the difference in the ads. Do you know if RTE host those videos, are they up on Akamai or does UPC host them? The process must take time as TV3 tends to be hours behind RTE in terms of getting content up on UPC, but on their website it's instant.

No idea. At a guess I'd imagine UPC host them, given the excellent performance (never any buffering) and instantaneous access.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Anybody know what the story is with the on-demand service in Dublin 15 (Clonsilla)?
    It just says "You are not subscribed to this channel"
    I put my address into the UPC website and it confirmed that its not available at my address. No indication of when it will be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shane.

Dean09 wrote: »
    Anybody know what the story is with the on-demand service in Dublin 15 (Clonsilla)?
    I put my address into the UPC website and it confirmed that its not available at my address. No indication of when it will be though.

i got a tentative release date for my address in dublin 12.........dec 2013! yes thats dec 2013!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

shane. wrote: »
    i got a tentative release date for my address in dublin 12.........dec 2013! yes thats dec 2013!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek:
    What a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shane.

Eamo71 wrote: »
    New "TV Search" service added to the EPG today. Go into guide press search and go to TV search. Put in the name of a prog you're looking for and it comes up with dates and times etc...
    Nice feature.

it is a good feature, but will anyone use it because the guide is so slow to load

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Dean09 wrote: »

Mine has been down the last 48 hours or so as well in D 15 area even though irt had been workng up until now...any ideas or word as to why its on the blink?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Some programmes appear to be unavailable on the UPC version of RTE Player. For instance, Prime Time. I wonder why?

Newly added to US box sets:
    America's Next Top Model
    NCIS
    Sex And The City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

America's Next Top Model
    NCIS
    Sex And The City

NCIS going on tonight...

celticbest wrote: »

NCIS going on tonight...
    Never watched it. Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

I like the new Halloween animation just as much as the Olympics one. The main menu was looking kind of bare without an animated background.

Top Gear added to box sets. It's on the cover flow bar. Not yet under the BBC Factual banner yet.

America's Next Top Model
    NCIS
    Sex And The City
    And now they've disappeared...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

I live around the porterstown road area in Dublin 15 and have also been told it won't be rolled out until December 2013... :(

• Advertisement

shane. wrote: »
    it is a good feature, but will anyone use it because the guide is so slow to load
    If folks can't wait a few seconds... there's little hope for the world :D
    BTW NCIS and Sex And The City have reappeared in the Box sets

Advertisement