Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I got onto them about dextor on twitter, they said they'd inquire with the relevant team.

In other words, feck off and stop annoying us

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭macker22

i wonder if upc done the same deal as virgin and are gonna add sky1,living,arts and sports to there on demand section

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭decies

Cheers is gone:-/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭AlanMc86

In other words, feck off and stop annoying us

The problem was the licences ran out last weekend for a lot of the US box sets. They were able to renew a few of them.

EDIT: thought people were talking about the missing content recently, picked it up from another thread nvm...

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

On demand live in carpenterstown now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

RBS 6 Nations matches available on RTE player in the News+sport section.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yes, great to see some sport there at last. Against the Head and the U20 games are also airing. Hopefully the Pro 12 will be there before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

decies wrote: »
    Am finding this UPC on demand very very buggey , often getting plank screen when trying to access programmes .

I had a similar problem, but it seems to be fixed now with the latest software update.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The Office (UK) has been up on it for a while now. Watched them all over the weekend. All there except the Christmas Special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

I want to watch the 'Inside Irish Nationwide' programme which was on RTÉ 1 last Monday night, 11 February, at 21.30. I can watch it on the RTÉ Player website here.

However, I'm on UPC Channel 119 looking for it under RTÉ Player. It does not exist. On the UPC On Demand channel a search 'By Day' says a programme called 'Date with Fate' was apparently shown on RTÉ 1 on Monday at 21.30. A search of 'Factual' has no record of it.

Am I missing it somewhere on UPC On Demand, or is UPC only showing some of the programmes, while the RTÉ Player website allows us to see them all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Seanchai wrote: »
    I want to watch the 'Inside Irish Nationwide' programme which was on RTÉ 1 last Monday night, 11 February, at 21.30. I can watch it on the RTÉ Player website here.

However, I'm on UPC Channel 119 looking for it under RTÉ Player. It does not exist. On the UPC On Demand channel a search 'By Day' says a programme called 'Date with Fate' was apparently shown on RTÉ 1 on Monday at 21.30. A search of 'Factual' has no record of it.

Am I missing it somewhere on UPC On Demand, or is UPC only showing some of the programmes, while the RTÉ Player website allows us to see them all?
    This Q has been asked many times. Essentially it's a rights issue. UPC does not have the rights to the entire Player catalogue. If you want to watch the Nationwide prog again it'll have to be on your PC or mobile device.

Eamo71 wrote: »
    This Q has been asked many times. Essentially it's a rights issue. UPC does not have the rights to the entire Player catalogue. If you want to watch the Nationwide prog again it'll have to be on your PC or mobile device.

Thanks. I hadn't a clue about that. As a tv alternative, then, is it possible to get the full RTÉ Player through the internet function on my tv? For instance, because I've connected my dvd/bluray player to my UPC broadband connection I can watch anything on YouTube etc through my tv now. Is there a similar way to watch everything on the RTÉ Player?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Thanks. I hadn't a clue about that. As a tv alternative, then, is it possible to get the full RTÉ Player through the internet function on my tv?

Does your TV have a web browser? You could do it that way.

Paulw wrote: »
    Does your TV have a web browser? You could do it that way.

Just checked and it doesn't seem to - or else I'm missing it (It's a Sony Bravia).

It has a 'Video' section under which is 'Search Internet Video', Sky News, YouTube, Bilabong, AOL HD Content and 20 more (obscure) channels. Under the first heading, I searched for RTÉ Player, and only RTÉ Player content on YouTube came up. Under the 'Network' section, the internet connection is working fine and I can watch content in the above 'Video' section. I notice, however, under the 'Sony Entertainment Network' section there is a 'Music Unlimited' option but Sony's 'Video Unlimited' option is not there. This Video Unlimited option seems to be the new name for Qriocity, which when I bought this TV I was told I'd be able to use in Ireland to watch new releases from all Sony-owned Hollywood studios on the tv instead of going to Xtravision.

Question: Is it possible to download a browser to this Sony tv and expand the range of internet programmes I can watch through the tv? Is there an alternative way of achieving this aim?
    Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

irish nationwide was on the rte player app on the samsung smart tv
    watched it on tuesday morning

ftakeith wrote: »
    irish nationwide was on the rte player app on the samsung smart tv
    watched it on tuesday morning

Very interesting. I googled for an RTÉ Player app for Sony Bravia and found this article in The Irish Times confirming the RTÉ Player-Samsung link:

"Samsung has done a deal with RTÉ to bring the Player to its smart TV platform, and it is also available through the PlayStation 3 console. UPC has also brought it to its on demand platform.

Not all programmes make it on the RTÉ Player for copyright reasons, but RTÉ pledges to make more than 200 hours of programming available."

No sign of a Sony-RTÉ link-up yet, though. However, 'TV3 has also made its catch-up service available to other platforms; it appears on the Sony Bravia internet connected TVs, for example'. I can't see it on this Bravia. Do I have to download it from somewhere or should it be there already?

Merged - please use the sticky!

Some new additions to On Demand include Matt Smith's first series of Doctor Who (though David Tennant's final story, "The End of Time" is still missing) and the first three series of Red Dwarf, the Young Ones, The League of Gentlemen and the Office (UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Great having The League of Gentleman on OD,but I wasn't finished watching Black Adder yet!

Great having The League of Gentleman on OD,but I wasn't finished watching Black Adder yet!

They all die in the end... ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

where can you complain to UPC about missing content. Just got to the end of season 2 of Doctor Who and theres two episodes missing. Is there anything they can do competently?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

When did they add SKY ON DEMAND to the UPC On Demand Section??

EDIT: NEVERMIND :)

Was just on to the UPC Talk To forum about missing episodes on Doctor Who.
    Only to be told that the episodes were unavailable due to some rights issue.
    Season finale.
    Who would agree to buy a season of any programme and not have the entire season???
    <REMOVED>
    Could you imagine the <REMOVED> f they did that with a programme aired on regular television?
    "Apologies customers. We're not broadcasting the series finales of Glee, Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey or 30 Rock because we didn't secure the rights"
    <REMOVED>

Calm down. Some of the language used there was completely out of order

Not sure what the rights issue could be with Army of Ghosts/Doomsday - it was there before (and conversly the series 4 finale was missing). Normally it is due to commercial music being used but I can't recall anything from these two episodes.

You should hear some of the language used when I'm on the phone to them.
    The <REMOVED> pales in comparison.
    I'm sorry, but you'd think they would sort out any issues regarding rights, before making content available to their customers.
    It shows lack of respect or regard for the people paying their salaries and smacks of unprofessionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭decies

I think the sporting rights issues across UPC in general is a far bigger pain.

You should hear some of the language used when I'm on the phone to them.
    The <REMOVED> pales in comparison.
    I'm sorry, but you'd think they would sort out any issues regarding rights, before making content available to their customers.
    It shows lack of respect or regard for the people paying their salaries and smacks of unprofessionalism.
    Actually it doesn't. Same thing happens on Netflix according to a thread i just read. Netflix US suffers from this regularly because the Studios purposefully keep back key episodes and finales to make you go out and buy the box sets. And this is what BBC is, it seems, doing in this case. So pick up the phone and give the beeb some of your invective ;-)

spelling
    decies wrote: »
    I think the sporting rights issues across UPC in general is a far bigger pain.

Absolutely. Particularly on RTE player.

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Actually it doesn't. Same thing happens on Netflix according to a thread i just read. Netflix US suffers from this regularly because the Studios purposefully keep back key episodes and finales to make you go out and buy the box sets. And this is what BBC is, it seems, doing in this case. So pick up the phone and give the beeb some of your invective ;-)

Well I won't ring the BBC.
    I'm not their customer. If thats the game they play, why play along. Its not like there arn't thousands of other series(available in their entirety) to be bought up. And who the hell will buy a Boxset for two episodes, when there are other ways to watch your favourite shows...;)

• Advertisement

Well I won't ring the BBC.
    I'm not their customer. If thats the game they play, why play along. Its not like there arn't thousands of other series(available in their entirety) to be bought up. And who the hell will buy a Boxset for two episodes, when there are other ways to watch your favourite shows...;)
    I totally agree with you. I think any studio or TV company that does this is mad particularly taking into account your last point :-)
    Unfortunately there's some idiot in the chain of command telling them this is the way to go.

Advertisement