Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do with Tim Tebow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Serious post:

As a Jets fan all I care about is that the Jets win. If I'm wrong and Tebow helps us do that then great. My disappointment at this move is down to my belief that he will not help us do that.
    No patience here?

Mark Sanchez - a 5th overall pick you traded 1st and 2nd round picks and 3 additional players for - has a lower career QB rating than Tim Tebow. A QB rating that doesn't take into account everything Tebow has done running the ball, just pure passing statistics.

You also just gave him a payrise. That's a funny way of displaying impatience.

Two AFC Championship appearances during his first two seasons have helped breed patience. There were more than mere murmours of discontent towards the end of last season though. Even Chad and Vinny were buried by New Yorkers during non playoff seasons, and they were extremely likeable guys off the field. Sanchize is not.

Also, the deal we cut with Sanchez was all about improving our position. Irrespective of how much he personally pockets from it, the deal achieved the following key points:

- Sanchez's cap number reduced for 2012 and 2013;
    - A cap penalty of $4.8m if cut between the end of the 2013 season and end of March 2014;
    - Signed up through to March 2017 if he makes that ever more unlikely leap to above average NFL QB;

So, we gave ourselves more flexibility now, the option to walk away at minimal cost two years later, and solidity if he does get it between now and then.

My issue is that in two years time this entire roster's window will have expired, and if Sanchez hasn't become the guy then a complete overhaul should be effected. I don't think Tebow improves us in this compete window, and I think him still on the roster could only complicate or obscure the rebuilding project required in two year's time.

vetinari wrote: »
    I mentioned this in the Broncos thread but will mention it here as well. Ditching Tebow for Manning is hands down a failure if the Broncos don't reach at least the AFC championship this year or next. EXF is definitely finished if that doesn't happen.

If they win 10 games this year and lose in the divisional playoff game, the idea that it was "hands down a failure" is, to be frank, dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Don't get me wrong Lloyd, I'd still start Sanchize. But I'm a fan of the trade (as much as a Patriots fan can be a fan of a Jets trade) because like him or loathe him, Tebow is a hard-working, enthusiastic and determined player who will do everything he can to be a starter. If that doesnt light a fire under Sanchez, nothing will. And it certainly doesn't hurt having his red zone skills under Sparano for situational playcalling.

As an aside, why do you say Sanchez isn't likeable off the field? I've always liked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Don't get me wrong Lloyd, I'd still start Sanchize. But I'm a fan of the trade (as much as a Patriots fan can be a fan of a Jets trade) because like him or loathe him, Tebow is a hard-working, enthusiastic and determined player who will do everything he can to be a starter. If that doesnt light a fire under Sanchez, nothing will. And it certainly doesn't hurt having his red zone skills under Sparano for situational playcalling.

As an aside, why do you say Sanchez isn't likeable off the field? I've always liked him.

Did you watch the HBO Hard Knocks series with the Jets. For me Sanchez came off very badly. Seemed to have a spoilt/arrogant attitude. Didnt want to step up and take leadership.

Also in the programme one of the episodes had Joe Namath critcising the way Sanchez was taking the snap. Said it leaves more room for fumbles. On a number of vital occasions this season it came to pass.

Well, leaving aside the dressing room turmoil last year and bad relations he has fostered with members of the team; his public comment on the contract extension; modelling; purported relationships with 17 year olds, etc is a world away from the humble, solid and committed type of guy Chad Pennington was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Did you watch the HBO Hard Knocks series with the Jets. For me Sanchez came off very badly. Seemed to have a spoilt/arrogant attitude. Didnt want to step up and take leadership.

Also in the programme one of the episodes had Joe Namath critcising the way Sanchez was taking the snap. Said it leaves more room for fumbles. On a number of vital occasions this season it came to pass.

Broadway Joe hasn't met a mic he hasn't swallowed whole.

Sanchez didn't seem like a bad kid in Hard Knocks, just that he was clearly and obviously a kid and not a leader.

Syferus wrote: »
    Broadway Joe hasn't met a mic he hasn't swallowed whole.

Sanchez didn't seem like a bad kid in Hard Knocks, just that he was clearly and obviously a kid and not a leader.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

if Tebow-mania didn't go hand in hand with Tebow this trade would be a good move. When the Jets go on a losing streak, the cries for Tebow are going to hit Sanchez's confidence imo!

if Tebow-mania didn't go hand in hand with Tebow this trade would be a good move. When the Jets go on a losing streak, the cries for Tebow are going to hit Sanchez's confidence imo!

That's one of the key reasons Ryan's brought him in. He's telling Sanchez to either up his game or forget about it.

If he somehow does it, he'll have earnt it. I don't see how that happens, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Jets > Tebowmania > LuckyLloyd

/that song by Alanis Morrissette comes to mind............"Isn't it Ironic" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Now if he had of gone to the Patriots, as some sources were speculating about. Then he would never have played as QB, but aside from the obvious reasons. The Patriots already have their number 2. Belichek would probably have given him an amalgamation of roles - RB or SL or TE depending on what he needed at the time. Undoubtedly Tebow still wants to keep playing as a QB, so it's a good move for him. The healthy competition will do Sanchez no harm at all, the question is though can he step up?

Now if he had of gone to the Patriots, as some sources were speculating about. Then he would never have played as QB, but aside from the obvious reasons. The Patriots already have their number 2. Belichek would probably have given him an amalgamation of roles - RB or SL or TE depending on what he needed at the time. Undoubtedly Tebow still wants to keep playing as a QB, so it's a good move for him. The healthy competition will do Sanchez no harm at all, the question is though can he step up?

It has the potential to do alot of harm to Sanchez, his future as a starter, let alone a franchise QB, hangs in the balance now. For the Jets, though, it's the right move.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Jets > Tebowmania > LuckyLloyd

/that song by Alanis Morrissette comes to mind............"Isn't it Ironic" :pac:
    Only because what you have mentioned is in no way Ironic...

much like the Song Ironic by Alanis Morrisette :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

now the jets have 3 qbs who are not starting quality. rex ryan is an outstanding defensive coordinator and he's entertaining but he's a terrible head coach the guy seems clueless

nerd69 wrote: »
    now the jets have 3 qbs who are not starting quality. rex ryan is an outstanding defensive coordinator and he's entertaining but he's a terrible head coach the guy seems clueless

Sanchez, Stanton and McElroy yea? Least they have Tebow!!! :p

There's a good chance Greg McElroy will be murdered on his first day back anyway, so I wouldn't count him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

nerd69 wrote: »

Ludicrous to be using words like terrible and clueless. The chap is a bit of a bellend but hes done good by me as a head coach so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Two AFC championship games in a row, yea clueless alright. :rolleyes: Is this the soccer forum or something?

Two AFC championship games in a row, yea clueless alright. :rolleyes: Is this the soccer forum or something?

May have made 2 AFC championships games in an row (& lost) but they didnt even make the playoffs this year ;)

I actually like Rex, think he is good coach and good to his players. Seems a funny guy.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    May have made 2 AFC championships games in an row (& lost) but they didnt even make the playoffs this year ;)

I actually like Rex, think he is good coach and good to his players. Seems a funny guy.

YES - ANY COACH THAT HAS LOST TWO CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES AND MISSED THE PLAYOFFS SOME SEASONS IS CLUELESS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

As an aside -

It appears that the trade of Tebow to the Jets still hasn't been completed. Because the repayment of some of the advanced salary was involved in the deal, Tebow has to sign a new contract with the Broncos and the contract has to be active for at least one day. So it appears that Tebow will sign the contract today and the trade will be completed tomorrow.

Further controversy exists about the trade. Tebow claims he wasn't given a choice - Elway and Fox claim that the Jags actually offered a better deal than the Jets and they left it to Tebow to decide. I tend to believe EXF, because of his popularity in Florida, I think Tebow was trying to justify not picking the Jags. If he really wanted to go to the Jags he could just refuse to sign this new contract - but I don't think he will.

It's probably alot more more murky than that. The Broncos only 'gave' him the option after they'd agreed to the Jets trade but had hit the contract snag.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,963 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

As an aside -

It appears that the trade of Tebow to the Jets still hasn't been completed. Because the repayment of some of the advanced salary was involved in the deal, Tebow has to sign a new contract with the Broncos and the contract has to be active for at least one day. So it appears that Tebow will sign the contract today and the trade will be completed tomorrow.

Further controversy exists about the trade. Tebow claims he wasn't given a choice - Elway and Fox claim that the Jags actually offered a better deal than the Jets and they left it to Tebow to decide. I tend to believe EXF, because of his popularity in Florida, I think Tebow was trying to justify not picking the Jags. If he really wanted to go to the Jags he could just refuse to sign this new contract - but I don't think he will.
    You are accusing Tebow of lying:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I would say TT's ambitions lie higher than most (even his supporters) give him credit for. Awesome competitor.

2848p3.jpg

A good old fashioned New York welcome for brother Tebow!

Ha ha that's a great welcome!!

Just gonna leave this here....
    Dawkins says Tebow “laid hands” on injured neck

From time to time, some of you have joked that Jets quarterback Tim Tebow should try to heal injured players and/or opponents.

It’s time to stop joking.

Safety Brian Dawkins, who played for the Broncos during the two years of the Colorado version of Tebowmania, told Alex Marvez and Jim Miller of SiriusXM NFL Radio that Tebow tried to heal Dawkins’ injured neck last season.

“In our Bible study sessions when my neck was pretty bad and I’m hurting, [Tebow] along with our chaplain and [Broncos director of player development] Jerry Butler laid hands and prayed on me pretty good,” Dawkins said. “They brought snot and tears to my eyes and all that type of good stuff with prayer.”

We present this information without opinion or comment. Because we suspect that at least 100 of you, maybe a lot more, will have something to say in the comments.

tim-tebow-god-jesus-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Just gonna leave this here....

Shame they decided not to bother doing it for the play-offs.

• Advertisement

Shame they decided not to bother doing it for the play-offs.

Where does it mention anything about playing good defence?

Hiyoooooooooooooooo! :)

Advertisement