Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do with Tim Tebow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,263 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I really thought we'd dodge a bullet there. :(

How I long for the days of Chad Pennington, Vinny Testaverde, Curtis Martin, Laveranues Coles and Kevin Mawae, etc. Humble guys who played their guts out and got in the playoffs with a minimum of fuss.

We've had the Favre circus, Revis holdout, Sanchize experiment and Rex Ryan era the past few years and now Tebow comes to town. I'm just tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Syferus wrote: »
    Shambolic behaviour by the Broncos front office, they've really messed around Tebow and not even his more ardent critics can say he isn't one of the classiest individuals to ever enter the league, he deserved far better than all this.

they dont care, they just want Tebow gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,024 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

they dont care, they just want Tebow gone!
    If Manning doesn't work out and I'm going to really enjoy the fallout from it in Denver.

eagle eye wrote: »
    If Manning doesn't work out and I'm going to really enjoy the fallout from it in Denver.

realistically though Tebow wasn't the long term solution either!

Fallout, what fallout? They have a limited window to be good given their makeup in key positions and Manning maximises their superbowl equity during that period. If he gets injured or is awful, whatever, they offload him and the likes of Champ, etc and start a rebuilding project with cap room being created and likely high draft picks coming in tandem. And they have offloaded the Tebow circus elsewhere.

And there won't be major recriminations because they gambled on arguably the greatest QB to ever walk the earth.

Elway has played this perfectly it must be said.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Fallout, what fallout? They have a limited window to be good given their makeup in key positions and Manning maximises their superbowl equity during that period. If he gets injured or is awful, whatever, they offload him and the likes of Champ, etc and start a rebuilding project with cap room being created and likely high draft picks coming in tandem. And they have offloaded the Tebow circus elsewhere.

And there won't be major recriminations because they gambled on arguably the greatest QB to ever walk the earth.

Elway has played this perfectly it must be said.
    The fans loved Tebow and they traded him. As I said earlier if they struck with Tebow this year they basically has a free year because if he doesn't work out they don't take the blame for it. They certainly take the blame now if they don't make the playoffs.

No playoffs = end of EXF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Hard to say Tebow wasn't the long term solution but enough has been said about that already.

I have to agree though that you lose nothing if the Manning deal doesnt work out for whatever reason. Anyone without that "elite" guy really had to be interested in getting Manning in. Its not very often that a future HOF QB is on the open market. You take your shot.

The fans loved Tebow and they traded him. As I said earlier if they struck with Tebow this year they basically has a free year because if he doesn't work out they don't take the blame for it. They certainly take the blame now if they don't make the playoffs.

No playoffs = end of EXF.

The fans will love having a Hall of Fame QB under center, that's what every fan dreams about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sorry, what's EXF?

I've seen it on this thread a few times now

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Sorry, what's EXF?

I've seen it on this thread a few times now

THinks its Elway & Fox but i'm open to correction

• Advertisement

realistically though Tebow wasn't the long term solution either!
    How on earth do you know that? He has started 16 times for the Broncos and the team has gone 9-7 in those games. Over those two seasons in games he didn't start the team went 5-16. You gotta give him the chance after that.

I personally believe he is going to bring success to almost any team he plays for. The Jets would be an exception though with that poisonous locker room. He will get to play there though because Sparano loves his wildcat.

The fans will love having a Hall of Fame QB under center, that's what every fan dreams about.
    What? Every fan wants the playoffs, if they don't make it then its game over for EXF, nothing surer. These fans got to see the playoffs last season and a win over the Steelers. There are loads of people in Denver not happy with all thats happened in the last few days.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    THinks its Elway & Fox but i'm open to correction
    Elway Xanders Fox.

Tebow will get his chance to start for the Jets at some point I have no doubt. The way Sanchez was playing for the last couple of months last season it wont be long before same thing that happend in Denver happens with the Jets. I;'m sure all Jets fans will be looking back at the Broncos Jets game this year and wondering what would have happened had the QB's been reversed.

And the team is set up for Tebow to do well. Similar in so many ways to Denver. Great O-line (bit of tackle help required) good running game, great D to keep things tight.

I can guarantee Tebow wont throw 2 interceptions to a 320lb DT thats for sure. Also Nick Mangold will prob be happy to have someone under centre who wont fumble a dozen snaps a year.

Elway Xanders Fox.

What role is Xanders?

HigginsJ wrote: »
    What role is Xanders?
    General Manager.

How on earth do you know that? He has started 16 times for the Broncos and the team has gone 9-7 in those games. Over those two seasons in games he didn't start the team went 5-16. You gotta give him the chance after that.

He doesn't deserve a chance over Peyton Manning and that's all that matters really! Having him as a backup is a bad idea and I don't believe he'll ever be anything more than a mediocre QB (you obviously don't agree but it's not worth rehashing the debates that have repeated ad nauseum over Tebow)

He doesn't deserve a chance over Peyton Manning and that's all that matters really! Having him as a backup is a bad idea and I don't believe he'll ever be anything more than a mediocre QB...
    Peyton Manning coming off 14 months out of the game and 4 neck surgeries. How do you know he is going to get back to the level he was at before?

Look through all the great QBs and see how many continued to perform after that age. Elway, Favre and Warner did but Montana, Young, Marino, Kelly, Aikman and then the other most prolific ones over the last decade and a half in McNair, Bledsoe and McNabb, they were all done at 35. Ok Brady is still going but he is two years younger than Manning. Most QBs start to decline at age 33 and most are done at 35/36.

Now look at Manning's last season, he has his worst QB rating since 2002 and it was the Colts worst regular season since 2002 also where they both times went 10-6. He may have been on the decline before the neck surgery and there is a real chance he never recovers. I just think there is a real possibility that this is a huge mistake which has been made by EXF.

Peyton Manning coming off 14 months out of the game and 4 neck surgeries. How do you know he is going to get back to the level he was at before?

Look through all the great QBs and see how many continued to perform after that age. Elway, Favre and Warner did but Montana, Young, Marino, Kelly, Aikman and then the other most prolific ones over the last decade and a half in McNair, Bledsoe and McNabb, they were all done at 35. Ok Brady is still going but he is two years younger than Manning. Most QBs start to decline at age 33 and most are done at 35/36.

Now look at Manning's last season, he has his worst QB rating since 2002 and it was the Colts worst regular season since 2002 also where they both times went 10-6. He may have been on the decline before the neck surgery and there is a real chance he never recovers. I just think there is a real possibility that this is a huge mistake which has been made by EXF.

There is a very good chance Manning never plays to his 2007 level again, but I still think that risk is worth taking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nike will be loving this

Tebow on a new team means many more jerseys sold

He's been way up near the top for jerseys sales since he entered the league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Look, I loved Tebow as a Bronco and wish him all the best but if we even have Manning at only 75% he's still the best QB we've had since Elway by a distance.

Manning could well fit in the Elway, Favre and Warner bracket, the first two had their injury issues as well, even if Favre just repeatedly soldiered on. Elway's knee was ruined (he actually walks with a cane now) and his biceps on his throwing arm was in a bad way, he tore the tendon in the 1997 preseason but went on to put two Superbowl years together at 37 and 38.

Manning's last season he also dealt with a raft of injuries, underperforming or new teammates and it was a SB hangover year. Minute he leaves they go 2-14 with the same side he'd got to 10-6 and an unlucky playoff exit only the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The Jets are a way superior team to the Broncos in terms of personnel, Tebow has a far better chance to succeed now he has team with weapons and a coach and management who actively want him. Ryan knew full well what bringing Tebow to town meant for Sanchez. He has plans for Tebow and they don't involve him just being a situational QB.

In any case, I am consoled by the realisation that brother Tebow is in the worst possible place for him. Nice people out West supporting a franchise with lowered expectations the last few years. They cheered for Tebow through horrendous three quarter stretches.

This is New York BAYBEE!! No patience here, Tebow will be booed out of town. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

In any case, I am consoled by the realisation that brother Tebow is in the worst possible place for him. Nice people out West supporting a franchise with lowered expectations the last few years. They cheered for Tebow through horrendous three quarter stretches.

Can we appoint you leader of the opposition now or should we have a coronation where Chucky The Tree passes the mantle onto you? :pac:

Tebowmania will be even stronger in NYC. He's used to people not liking him, that's the very reason he is so big ticket, people either love him or hate him. There will be plenty of both in the metro area.

Typical Jets fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Typical Jets fan.

Steady on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

No patience here?

Mark Sanchez - a 5th overall pick you traded 1st and 2nd round picks and 3 additional players for - has a lower career QB rating than Tim Tebow. A QB rating that doesn't take into account everything Tebow has done running the ball, just pure passing statistics.

You also just gave him a payrise. That's a funny way of displaying impatience.

No patience here?

Mark Sanchez - a 5th overall pick you traded 1st and 2nd round picks and 3 additional players for - has a lower career QB rating than Tim Tebow. A QB rating that doesn't take into account everything Tebow has done running the ball, just pure passing statistics.

in 2011 Sanchez's QB rating was 78.2 and Tebow was 72.9, Sanchez had a 56.7 completion % and Tebow had 46.5. I would take Sanchez under centre for my team any day over Tebow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

I mentioned this in the Broncos thread but will mention it here as well. Ditching Tebow for Manning is hands down a failure if the Broncos don't reach at least the AFC championship this year or next. EXF is definitely finished if that doesn't happen.

• Advertisement

Typical Jets fan.
    No patience here?

Ah come on lads, can we not have the odd lighthearted post every now and again!!

Maybe my jokes need to be more obvious:

- Sparano won't be able to run the wildcat with Tebow. Ronnie Brown was different after all - he could kinda throw, sort of;

- Tim Tebow - even struggles to complete a trade;

and so on, and so on.

Advertisement