Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do with Tim Tebow?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

How could he do a decent job? He didn't really do a decent job in Denver. It's going to be difficult to find coaches who want a guy who can't throw the ball to be their starting QB, especially when they are basically being told that wins don't really matter and they have to do it just to sell tickets. Not to mention how damaging it would be for the players to be basically told that that selling out tickets is more important than winning, what free agent would ever want to sign up for a situation like that?

You're right, dragging your team from one of the poorest records in the league, to a Playoff win over the steelers constitutes much more than a "decent job"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

How could he do a decent job? He didn't really do a decent job in Denver. It's going to be difficult to find coaches who want a guy who can't throw the ball to be their starting QB, especially when they are basically being told that wins don't really matter and they have to do it just to sell tickets. Not to mention how damaging it would be for the players to be basically told that that selling out tickets is more important than winning, what free agent would ever want to sign up for a situation like that?

So the guy can't throw the football, only there to sell tickets yes?

So who was it that took the dreadful Broncos to the playoffs and beat the Steelers? I think Tebow is fantastic but i'm not so stupid to think that he is a top 10 QB or anything of the sort. But this assertion that Tebow is nothing but a marketing tool who cant play QB really bugs me. The guy had some great games last year, made great plays, was helped with an excellent D, kicking game no doubt but he was the QB for all these games. He was QB for the last 5 minutes against the Dolphins, last 2 minutes against the Jets, whole game against the Steelers. He is not some dope who has never played the position and cant throw.

Who gives a rats rear end if free agents dont want to sign up for that, i dont see Jacksonville knocking them back as it is btw.

TimThomas wrote: »
    Oh yeah Im being aggressive. Punching my PC here also and screaming at it. Love it when people use the aggresive tags or calm down tags or relax bro stuff. Everyone on the internet is a psychiatrist apparently. :rolleyes:

Your definition and my definition of a "few" are completely different. Try 8 pages in 43 hours. And not every post is about people caring about him only giving an opinion on where they think he will go. I gave my opinion on it doesnt mean I give fook about him.
    Seeing as we're getting so literal, you asked "who gives a fook" about Tebow. I would suggest anyone posting on this thread does in one way or another, even if it's hand-wringing frustration at why we admire the guy.

Try three months to get to 7 pages on the Manning thread, then yeah, the term a "few hours" fits the bill nicely, for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

HigginsJ wrote: »
    So the guy can't throw the football, only there to sell tickets yes?

So who was it that took the dreadful Broncos to the playoffs and beat the Steelers? I think Tebow is fantastic but i'm not so stupid to think that he is a top 10 QB or anything of the sort. But this assertion that Tebow is nothing but a marketing tool who cant play QB really bugs me. The guy had some great games last year, made great plays, was helped with an excellent D, kicking game no doubt but he was the QB for all these games. He was QB for the last 5 minutes against the Dolphins, last 2 minutes against the Jets, whole game against the Steelers. He is not some dope who has never played the position and cant throw.

Who gives a rats rear end if free agents dont want to sign up for that, i dont see Jacksonville knocking them back as it is btw.

The fact people are saying the main reason for Jags to hire him is because he will help sell tickets and jerseys and no because he'll go in there and win games pretty much confirms he's far more of a marketing tool than a QB. The guy also had some terrible games and made some horrendous plays. He was QB for the defeat to the Bills, chiefs and getting crushed by the Pats. A team won't be successful if they can't attract suitable players and free agents, it's a simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

The fact people are saying the main reason for Jags to hire him is because he will help sell tickets and jerseys and no because he'll go in there and win games pretty much confirms he's far more of a marketing tool than a QB. The guy also had some terrible games and made some horrendous plays. He was QB for the defeat to the Bills, chiefs and getting crushed by the Pats. A team won't be successful if they can't attract suitable players and free agents, it's a simple as that.

Fair enough your entitled to your opinion. You think he'll go there and be a marketing tool, i think he'll go there and get them to 8-8. All i can finish with is this:

Tim Tebow > Blaine Gabbert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I give a fook! Lets not forget that we wouldn't be taking about this if it wasnt for Peyton F***ing Manning. The Bronco's would have stuck with and we would all be exicted to see if Tim could build on a marvelous year last year with plenty of sprouts of improvemtn to get behind him.

All this adversary and all the critics he has had and he answers to it all last season and now some poeple act as if that didn't happen. That cannot be taken away.

Jags don't want him. But yea he would give significant improvement over Gabbert. Gene Smith should do an Elway on it, Tebow can give Gabbert some motivational speech in "manning" the fck up facing a rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Tebow traded to the Jets for a 4th round pick.

Interesting enough. Pressure is going to be a lot higher on Sanchez now whether Tebow has the ability or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

The Broncos will look to sign a decent veteran back-up - rumoured to be one of San Diego's Billy Volek, Chicago's Caleb Hanie, Houston's Matt Leinart, St. Louis' A.J. Feeley.

Caleb Hanie and the three words Decent, Veteran and Quarterback shouldn't be in the same sentence.

He was absolutely appalling from what I saw of him last year after Cutler's injury.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Wow there mustn't have been much demand for Tebow if the best the Broncos could get was a fourth rounder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I did not see Tebow to the Jets coming at all...i think he'll start over Sanchez, as he is a natural born leader, Sanchez is most certainly not and there isnt much difference in playing ability.

I used to sit on the fence with my opinion of Tebow, neither hate him or love him, but i respected him but now that he is a Jet, FCUK TEBOW!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Wow there mustn't have been much demand for Tebow if the best the Broncos could get was a fourth rounder

They got a 4th and 6th for Tebow and a 7th

Most analysts said they'd be doing well to get a 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Tebow traded to the Jets for a 4th round pick.

Interesting enough. Pressure is going to be a lot higher on Sanchez now whether Tebow has the ability or not!

Sweet Jesus. Pardon the pun.

Ryan and Tebow, it's a like a buddy cop pairing. Tebow in New York is about a thousand times more nuclear fuel for the media than Peyton Manning would have been.

Poor Sanchize, though, if he thought the pressure was rough before..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ugh, why did it have to be the Jets of all the teams in the NFL.:(

More of a case of an unwanted commodity by the seller. Even if there were 5 teams in for him, they knew that the Bronco's wanted rid and that there's the chance he could be cut if they waited around.

Amazing to think that Tebow's stock has fallen from the day of his first round draft despite winning a number of games at Denver in his first starting season, turning around their season and winning a playoff game. Even the fact we know it was a reach for him to be a first rounder (most had him at late 2nd/3rd I think?), for him to go for a 4th despite having NFL experience behind him just shows how much work sides think is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MrDisgruntled

Wow if he wasnt overhyped enough then send him of to NYC the home of Americas other most overhyped athlete Jeremy Lin....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

I didn't really want Tebow but now that he's here I'm giddy!

Tebowmania vs The Sanchize!

New York is going to explode!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Please god no, we don't want or need Tebow Mania thank you very much. We've got a two year window with a half decent roster and Sanchez will get that time to try and become an above average NFL QB. If he doesn't do it, we cut him in March 2014 and engage in a complete rebuilding project.

Denver will offload Tebow in some way, shape or form. This is their chance to do it, and Elway is too smart to pass on the opportunity.

Tebow is shaping up to be a terrible backup the rest of his career. He requires a custom tailored offensive package, can't make all the throws to aid defensive preperation, and will have the fans screaming for him to be put in whenever there are two losses in a row. Right now the only spot that makes some sense backup wise would be Philadelphia as he could probably come in and run the same packages as Vick / Young. The Patriots would probably find innovative ways to utilise his skilset without any intention of him being groomed to start at QB, so that could work too.

But for me, he needs to go somewhere he can start for better or worse. It's the lolphins or Los Jaguars so, and I think Los Jaguars don't give a damn about winning if they can sell the stadium out, and Tebow can offer that at the very least - so I reckon he'll end up there.

He's probably worth a 4th round pick.

well you got the 4th round pick right. Enjoy Tebow-mania!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Tony Sparano will absolutely love working with Tebow, and could actually come up with some decent packages for him. Unless Sanchez struggled even more than people expect, it's going to be similar to Tebow's rookie year, i.e. plug him into a specially designed play in goal line situations and the occasional 3rd and short.

It's actually a great move for the Jets, and given the details of Sanchez' new contract, it's also an opportunity for Tebow (although I would have liked to see him start elsewhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Just to clarify -

The deal for Tebow is as follows -

Denver receive a 4th round and a 6th round pick

NY Jets receive Tebow and a 7th round pick

Best of luck to Tebow - interesting times for the Jets - as a Broncos fan I am happy with the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Wow if he wasnt overhyped enough then send him of to NYC the home of Americas other most overhyped athlete Jeremy Lin....

Are you for real?

• Advertisement

Giving Sanchez the extension seems even more silly now. Sanchez wont start and if he does the fans will go mental screaming for Tebow.

Sanchez is already disliked by the fans and the lockerroom, now way he will be more popular than Tebow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

So, did Elway keep to his word? Did Tebow want to go to NYC, even though everything said he wanted to go back to Florida and that the Jags were seriously interested?

If this was just a draft pick grab it'd be a final parting insult by Elway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Tebow will play a rich man's Brad Smith's role. Sanchez will still start

Odds on Tebow being a starter by the end of the season? :pac:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post?id=11210
    1. The circus is coming to town, and the Jets just love a circus, don't they? Is this their "Little Brother" response to the Giants winning the Super Bowl?

2. The attention-seeking Jets couldn't get Peyton Manning, so they take the next-best quarterback in terms of generating buzz. Sometimes you wonder if they're more concerned with back pages than victories. Hey, if we can't get a phenomenal quarterback, let's grab a quarterback phenomenon.

3. The risk far exceeds the potential upside. At best, the Jets get a change-of-pace quarterback who can run the Wildcat a few times per game, gain 20 or 30 yards and cause a small headache for defenses. At worst, they get a divisive quarterback controversy that undermines incumbent Mark Sanchez.

4. The Jets just gave Sanchez a three-year contract extension, affirming their faith in a quarterback whose stature in the locker room took a hit last season. The Tebow acquisition is counter-productive because all it does is re-open a can of worms that should've been buried.

5. As soon as Sanchez has a bad game, the Tebow-maniacs -- and the converts -- will be screaming for a quarterback change. It won't be an every-so-often thing. It will become the soundtrack of the Jets' season. It will put a lot of pressure on Rex Ryan, who will be in charge of trying to manage the madness.

6. After all the locker-room problems they experienced last season, the Jets should be focused on coming together and rebuilding the chemistry they enjoyed in 2010. Tebow is a polarizing presence that will split fans, and judging from Antonio Cromartie's recent tweets, could split the players.

7. It doesn't make sense from a salary-cap/roster management standpoint. First of all, the Jets just gave Drew Stanton a $500,000 signing bonus to be the No. 2 QB. If they were interested in Tebow -- and they had to know he'd be available if Manning landed in Denver -- why not hold off a few days? They just wasted $500,000 that could've been spent elsewhere.

More waste: They gave up a fourth-round draft pick, and they're paying $1.1 million in salary, for a specialty player who doesn't play special teams and probably won't be on the field more than a dozen snaps per game. At least Brad Smith, the Jets' old Wildcat, contributed in other roles.

8. The luster of the Wildcat has worn off. Teams have caught up to it, and it's no longer the offensive weapon it used to be.

9. You can't help but wonder about the role of Jimmy Sexton in this move. Sexton is Tebow's agent and he also represents new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano. And he's also good friends with GM Mike Tannenbaum. Hmm. "Don't underestimate that connection," one league source said.

10. Tannenbaum said after the season that the QB depth chart would have a different look in 2012. Man, he wasn't joking.

Lol i forgot earlier today Antonio Cromartie basically told Tebow to F off on twitter lol lol lol

Odds on Tebow being a starter by the end of the season? :pac:

Id say he'll be starting week 1, if not week 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MrDisgruntled

Are you for real?

Of course im for real. Tebow is a fifth tier player at best and Lin could perhaps be a third tier player but both have been such good media stories that they have got much more exposure than their talent warrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Are you for real?

Of course im for real. Tebow is a fifth tier player at best and Lin could perhaps be a third tier player but both have been such good media stories that they have got much more exposure than their talent warrants.

That's linsane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Syferus wrote: »
    So, did Elway keep to his word? Did Tebow want to go to NYC, even though everything said he wanted to go back to Florida and that the Jags were seriously interested?

If this was just a draft pick grab it'd be a final parting insult by Elway.
    I am sure that if the Jags offered the same as the Jets, Elway would have let Tebow have his choice. Elway's job is to look after the interests of the Broncos - not Tebow's interests, Tebow has an agent for that. Elway did what any good VP/GM would do - made the right moves to benefit the team - no player is bigger than the team and every player who goes into the NFL knows how the system works. Tebow is a big boy and if he is good enough he will succeed - if he is not then he will go the way of thousands of other hopefuls who didn't make it. either way the Bronocs will still be around in a years to come when Elway, Manning and Tebow will be nothing more than distant memories.

• Advertisement

The Jets? Gutted.

Advertisement