Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 angela59

Having suffered for last two years with broadband that keeps dropping I eventually after crying down the phone got an engineer out from eircom - he was from KN who do the work for eircom. He advised us our line was on an old ADSL line going through the exchange in Bagenalstown - on his ipad it showed it is 9kms away hence slow broadband! He also told us there is an efibre cab 1.5kms from us 1500 meters and our line is going through that and no reason we cannot get efibre just get on to provider who is Eir. Did this spoke to sales, tech support who all say no it cannot be done your line does not support efibre! Getting out a second engineer next week to prove to eircom that it can be done. Anyone been in this situation before or am I getting wrong advice.

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

angela59 wrote: »
    Having suffered for last two years with broadband that keeps dropping I eventually after crying down the phone got an engineer out from eircom - he was from KN who do the work for eircom. He advised us our line was on an old ADSL line going through the exchange in Bagenalstown - on his ipad it showed it is 9kms away hence slow broadband! He also told us there is an efibre cab 1.5kms from us 1500 meters and our line is going through that and no reason we cannot get efibre just get on to provider who is Eir. Did this spoke to sales, tech support who all say no it cannot be done your line does not support efibre! Getting out a second engineer next week to prove to eircom that it can be done. Anyone been in this situation before or am I getting wrong advice.

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/
    They may be going by your cable records which may be incorrect and indicate your further away than you actually are. Any of your neighbours have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 angela59

hi evosteo

Checked with neighbours no they don't have it - we are in rural area not too rural though 1.5 miles from town. I think you could be correct about cable records - we are in this house 23 years. Frustrating though to get to right person if efibre there why cant we connect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Sorry if this has been asked already.

I live in a village outside Kilkenny and a fiber cabinet build is in progress. There's also another at the top of the village planned.

I'm wondering as a customer what does the thin blue line represent on the map, it passes by my house. Does it mean the houses not on it can't avail of fttc? I know it's not highly accurate as pointed out in previous posts, just want to know what it means!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I'm wondering as a customer what does the thin blue line represent on the map, it passes by my house. Does it mean the houses not on it can't avail of fttc?

The blue lines represent planned rural fibre direct to the home (FTTH) routes, hover over "Rural Fibre Routes" at the top of the map for a description. Nothing to do with FTTC.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97031231#post97031231

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Thanks the_cush.

The cabinet is due to go live soon was talking to an engineer today. I'm about 300 meters from it. At the moment we're synced at 20MB or so on adsl2. Is distance the only relative factor or do things like SNR etc come into like they do for adsl. The cabinet is built right beside the local exchange. I'm slightly worried as our downstream SNR is 6.5 even though the exchange is so close. I might need to get the line checked by engineers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I am near BNC1 011A. I am just wondering why are people taking account of the number on each cabinet. What can I do with the number? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its just an identifier, based on the number of the old cab it pairs with.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I see the F2H will stop 600m from my house..... thats a pain in the head. Anyway of convincing them to keep going :)

yop wrote: »
    I see the F2H will stop 600m from my house..... thats a pain in the head. Anyway of convincing them to keep going :)

Wrong thread, and the blue lines don't mean a whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ED E wrote: »
    Wrong thread, and the blue lines don't mean a whole lot.

Sorry! Totally misread the thread title!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

Slight off topic ! but

My internet went down Thur. at 5:30 pm......Eir where here Fri morning at 10:30 and rewired my phone line ..

All fixed ! I don't work for Eir (Eircom whatever!), but come on, that's fast service. And yes I'm with Eir to. Wonder how long they take to fix a non Eir customer?

M.

It's the same, timeframes have been matched for several years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

The Lady in this video says they should have completed 1.6 million homes by the end of June. Still waiting for my upgrade for over a year. Better be know problems after waiting?

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ The map should be updated if this is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Was amazed to see a gang of KN lads setting up to pull fibre yesterday in Brittas Bay, Wicklow.
    Didn't expect them to be out working on a bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

jspuds wrote:
    Was amazed to see a gang of KN lads setting up to pull fibre yesterday in Brittas Bay, Wicklow. Didn't expect them to be out working on a bank holiday weekend.

Now I just need to save for a house in Brittas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Sorry if wrong thread.

My line is now showing up as eFiber ready (rathdrum wicklow) BUT only at a crappy 18mb :mad:... BOO

Getting 10mb on adsl at the mo and its ok, can anyone tell me is the Efiber as reliable as the NG adsl? would it be worth getting eFiber even at only 18mb??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

god's toy wrote: »
    Sorry if wrong thread.

My line is now showing up as eFiber ready (rathdrum wicklow) BUT only at a crappy 18mb :mad:... BOO

Getting 10mb on adsl at the mo and its ok, can anyone tell me is the Efiber as reliable as the NG adsl? would it be worth getting eFiber even at only 18mb??

I don't know the full details of the 18Mbps profile, but the upload is possibly a little higher than 1Mbps (maybe 3Mbps). Your probably on < 1Mbps at the moment.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I don't know the full details of the 18Mbps profile, but the upload is possibly a little higher than 1Mbps (maybe 3Mbps). Your probably on < 1Mbps at the moment.

Thanks, would that be more reliable or about the same seeing as it's still a huge line to travel to get to me?

Getting 670 up now according to modem... woo :confused:... But yea I would take 1mb up or more if I could get it.

bugs me that i am 2km away from exchange but there is 2 new boxes between us and i'm just not connected to them.

full line spec is:

Speed: 12288 kbps/670 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 32.9 dB/ 15.7 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6.3 dB/ 18.4 dB

Thanks, would that be more reliable or about the same seeing as it's still a huge line to travel to get to me?

Getting 670 up now according to modem... woo :confused:... But yea I would take 1mb up or more if I could get it.

bugs me that i am 2km away from exchange but there is 2 new boxes between us and i'm just not connected to them.

full line spec is:

Speed: 12288 kbps/670 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 32.9 dB/ 15.7 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6.3 dB/ 18.4 dB

Ooooo ... Those figures gives a line length of nearly 2.4KM, which is out of range of VDSL (2KM) let alone eVDSL (exchange VDSL 1.5KM).

Fire your number into this and read us back the results.

If it still shows you as Fibre enabled at 18Mbps, then you might actually be connected via a cab at 1.2-1.3KM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

The Lady in this video says they should have completed 1.6 million homes by the end of June. Still waiting for my upgrade for over a year. Better be know problems after waiting?

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ The map should be updated if this is true?

With 8 weeks left to the end of June and no maps updated in months, I think we can assume that there isn't a hope that the roll out will be completed on time and the maps will be pushed back to the end of 2016, at the earliest. If I put on my tinfoil hat, I might suggest that some of the delays are connected to the awarding of the NBP project as certainly the updates seemed to stop once the tender process was delayed, but maybe that's just me.... :cool:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

BandMember wrote: »
    With 8 weeks left to the end of June and no maps updated in months, I think we can assume that there isn't a hope that the roll out will be completed on time and the maps will be pushed back to the end of 2016, at the earliest. If I put on my tinfoil hat, I might suggest that some of the delays are connected to the awarding of the NBP project as certainly the updates seemed to stop once the tender process was delayed, but maybe that's just me.... :cool:
    What are you on about? The map was updated last week!

marno21 wrote: »
    What are you on about? The map was updated last week!

Not in the area(s) that I've been looking at - the last update was months ago and all work that was in the construction stage with a timeframe on it was put back to the planning stage! Some of these areas were due to go live before the end of 2015. Very frustrating. :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is your area under 'Fibre Build Commenced'?

Is your area under 'Fibre Build Commenced'?

It was, along with many others, until the NBP got delayed. Now it's listed at the planning stage. Although, if you don't highlight it and zoom in on it, it says "fibre build commenced - work in completion stages". So, in short, who knows.... :confused:

BandMember wrote: »
    It was, along with many others, until the NBP got delayed. Now it's listed at the planning stage. Although, if you don't highlight it and zoom in on it, it says "fibre build commenced - work in completion stages". So, in short, who knows.... :confused:
    Should be done soon - open to correction but as far as I know the FTTC rollout is independent of the National Broadband Plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Ooooo ... Those figures gives a line length of nearly 2.4KM, which is out of range of VDSL (2KM) let alone eVDSL (exchange VDSL 1.5KM).

If it still shows you as Fibre enabled at 18Mbps, then you might actually be connected via a cab at 1.2-1.3KM.

Put my number in and got these results... not too sure what they mean!

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 1 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 1 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 15 MB

LLU Enabled: No

Would that be "up to" 15 MB?

...I currently have 30Mbps down and 20Mbps up on 4g in the house, but only have 50GB a month, so thinking about changing due to the outdated data cap.

Never ever had broadband available in the house and it's only 20km from the city centre and 4km from a google and microsoft data centre!

Should be done soon - open to correction but as far as I know the FTTC rollout is supposed to be independent of the National Broadband Plan.

Fixed that for you. ;):p

Yeah, fingers crossed that it will be done soon but if you look at the total number of exchanges that are still in the planning stages with work to be completed by the end of June, you can understand why so many people are skeptical....

Here you go!

DSL Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 18 MB

So I have a question, as both the cabs near me are being worked on now and I am getting the 18mb reading from the exchange 2kms away, but am probably going through one of them to get there, if they upgraded both the cabs would my speeds increase too? or am I locking myself out by getting it now at the furthest point away from me??

• Advertisement

Here you go!

DSL Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 18 MB

So I have a question, as both the cabs near me are being worked on now and I am getting the 18mb reading from the exchange 2kms away, but am probably going through one of them to get there, if they upgraded both the cabs would my speeds increase too? or am I locking myself out by getting it now at the furthest point away from me??

Better experts than I on here will be able to confirm, but I suspect that you are getting ADSL service from the exchange and your line is routed via a nearer VDSL cab. So if you ordered eir Fibre, they would flip your line in the cab and presto ... you got 18Mbps.

@ED_E - would this be a fair assumption?

Advertisement