Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

-=al=- wrote: »
    Put my number in and got these results... not too sure what they mean!

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 1 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 1 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 15 MB

LLU Enabled: No

Would that be "up to" 15 MB?

...I currently have 30Mbps down and 20Mbps up on 4g in the house, but only have 50GB a month, so thinking about changing due to the outdated data cap.

Never ever had broadband available in the house and it's only 20km from the city centre and 4km from a google and microsoft data centre!

The small writing would probably say "up to" 15Mbps, but when it comes to eir Fibre, most people seem to consistently get at or very close to the stated speeds most of the time.

What operator is that 4G with? If it was Three, you could get an AYCE SIM and top it up by €20pm and have unlimited data (it's supposed to be only used in a phone, but you can send one text message and then shove it in a 4G router if you wanted).

If its not Three, then ask a friend/relative who are subscribers to run a speed test at your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

god's toy wrote: »
    Here you go!
    Exchange Code: Unknown
    DSL Enabled: Yes - 12 MB
    NGB Enabled: Yes - 12 MB
    Fibre Enabled: Yes - 18 MB
    MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Better experts than I on here will be able to confirm, but I suspect that you are getting ADSL service from the exchange and your line is routed via a nearer VDSL cab. So if you ordered eir Fibre, they would flip your line in the cab and presto ... you got 18Mbps.
    @ED_E - would this be a fair assumption?

If your line is in good nick then the exchange is 2500m away, no chance its VDSL from there. A vectored cab would give 18Mb about 1500-1700m away, so that would suggest to me that you are connected to a cab around 1KM out from the exchange (is that right for the cabs you mentioned or another cab)?

-=al=- wrote: »
    DSL Enabled: Yes - 1 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 1 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 15 MB

Would that be "up to" 15 MB?

...I currently have 30Mbps down and 20Mbps up on 4g in the house, but only have 50GB a month, so thinking about changing due to the outdated data cap.

Never ever had broadband available in the house and it's only 20km from the city centre and 4km from a google and microsoft data centre!

When ADSL is useful up to 3km being 20km from the city is the same as being 200km from it. Thats why all of north County Dublin is f'ked for BB.

You're probably 5-6km from your exchange but 1800m from a cabinet. Fixed line won't ever be mega fast but it won't suffer contention and you have a 1000GB FUP. If your usage is high it'd be worth it most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

ED E wrote: »
    If your line is in good nick then the exchange is 2500m away, no chance its VDSL from there. A vectored cab would give 18Mb about 1500-1700m away, so that would suggest to me that you are connected to a cab around 1KM out from the exchange (is that right for the cabs you mentioned or another cab)?

Yes spot on. There is one about 1km from the house and it got the new darker green add-on a few months ago. The other one is about 100m from the house too but that only a few years old andmy line was in before that so I'm not connected to it.

So I'm looking at 18 down with 1 to 2 up and that's that? Fine I'll take it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

god's toy, it will be a very nice significant upgrade for you.

First of all, going from 10 to 18 is a nice upgrade. 10Mb/s is borderline for HD video streaming, while 18 will do it no problem and have enough left over for other simultaneous use.

On the upload you are going to go from 600k to 5Mb/s, that will be a massive upgrade for you and make using various cloud services much easier.

Finally VDSL tends to be far more reliable to ADSL.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    god's toy, it will be a very nice significant upgrade for you.

First of all, going from 10 to 18 is a nice upgrade. 10Mb/s is borderline for HD video streaming, while 18 will do it no problem and have enough left over for other simultaneous use.

On the upload you are going to go from 600k to 5Mb/s, that will be a massive upgrade for you and make using various cloud services much easier.

Finally VDSL tends to be far more reliable to ADSL.

Sounds good so! Now if only eir would believe me that I can get it at all as they emailed to say its not available yet .. Must still be in 'testing phase' or something. I told them to look into the checker on there site as its showing up as available now. Suppose I'll just have to wait a little longer.

god's toy wrote: »
    Sounds good so! Now if only eir would believe me that I can get it at all as they emailed to say its not available yet .. Must still be in 'testing phase' or something. I told them to look into the checker on there site as its showing up as available now. Suppose I'll just have to wait a little longer.

There's a 1 month notice period that you may still be in the middle of.

There's a 1 month notice period that you may still be in the middle of.
    Ah. OK so I'll give em a month from today.

Thanks everyone for your help! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    The small writing would probably say "up to" 15Mbps, but when it comes to eir Fibre, most people seem to consistently get at or very close to the stated speeds most of the time.

What operator is that 4G with? If it was Three, you could get an AYCE SIM and top it up by €20pm and have unlimited data (it's supposed to be only used in a phone, but you can send one text message and then shove it in a 4G router if you wanted).

If its not Three, then ask a friend/relative who are subscribers to run a speed test at your house.

It's with Meteor. I've exhausted and tried all of the mobile BB networks since it's been my only option for years! Meteor gives the best, reliable, consistent and strongest signal for 50GB @ €20 a month, it isn't too bad. But with more and more devises connecting to it lately and more demanding services, it's starting to get high come the end of the month! I'd probably use more data if I had it but it's never really been an issue! The 3 AYCE option is pretty viable too. They don't really seem to get onto folks for the FUP, which is nice of them :pac:

VWn3rsN.png

Current 4g speed... I think I'm looking at that vs. an up to 15MB line for maybe twice the cost, but it offers more data.
    When ADSL is useful up to 3km being 20km from the city is the same as being 200km from it. Thats why all of north County Dublin is f'ked for BB.

You're probably 5-6km from your exchange but 1800m from a cabinet. Fixed line won't ever be mega fast but it won't suffer contention and you have a 1000GB FUP. If your usage is high it'd be worth it most likely.

Thanks for that. and I think your spot on with the distances, that makes total sense for my location. I'm not to up on how fixed line services work, we've never had the option until recently to have it, but it looks like my options come down to a "fibre" BB service with less speed, higher cost but with more data vs the current problem of just data limit!

Maybe a backup AYCE 3 sim would be the best option for when needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Are these cabinets anything to do with Eir? If so, what are the poles for? Or are they ESB things? Having googled the company name on the thing and then looking on their site, could these be cabinets used to protect private group water supply test stations?
    20160508_184814.jpg20160508_184817.jpg20160508_184808.jpg20160508_185139.jpg

• Advertisement

ESB boffins will chime in I'm sure but the fact that it has a mini pillar would hint that its not them, they're used to feed homes or other peoples plant. Whether its eirs or local traffic signals etc I couldnt say. The post could be used for a point to point radio link.

ESB boffins will chime in I'm sure but the fact that it has a mini pillar would hint that its not them, they're used to feed homes or other peoples plant. Whether its eirs or local traffic signals etc I couldnt say. The post could be used for a point to point radio link.

Could it be group water supply test stuff? I dont really care, I just came across a good few of them when i was driving around earlier desperate to see if I could find a cabinet close to my house.

According to Eir, the efibre will be live on 25th of this month, but that the exchange for it has not been built yet. I wonder if they will build some new cabinets for it.....if I ordered a telephone line now, to avoid the delay in use for when its live, is there a chance they would connect me to some old setup and I may not get the best speeds compared to if I wait until its gone live and then order?

According to Eir, the efibre will be live on 25th of this month, but that the exchange for it has not been built yet. I wonder if they will build some new cabinets for it.....if I ordered a telephone line now, to avoid the delay in use for when its live, is there a chance they would connect me to some old setup and I may not get the best speeds compared to if I wait until its gone live and then order?

When I looked for the other thread it appeared there was already a newish mini exchange in place.

EtB4VzT.jpg

Streetview from 09 is pretty mushy but that looks like it wasn't long in. ESB pillar in place etc, private property so no planning permission. Thats one KNN could phone in in a day. Far side may even be a spare plinth left there for expansion later on.

When I looked for the other thread it appeared there was already a newish mini exchange in place.

EtB4VzT.jpg

Streetview from 09 is pretty mushy but that looks like it wasn't long in. ESB pillar in place etc, private property so no planning permission. Thats one KNN could phone in in a day. Far side may even be a spare plinth left there for expansion later on.

I drove down to that place today, its the back of a small housing estate. There were loads of kids playing football right in front of it so I didnt get out and have a nosey around.

Do they have a typical distance from the exchange where they put a cabinet, or is it different for everywhere?

With a fullsize exchange the eVDSL goes inside the building in a rack. With a mini exchange/RSU like that they just plonk it beside it.

Cabs not at the exchange itself go where old copper cabs were placed when phones first came to the area. Your area isnt getting any of these at the moment. Eyeballing it less than 100 lines will qualify I'd say, the rural blue routes will have the big impact.

NB: You should probably keep this to its existing thread.

Enhanced is just sales speak for Vectoring. The NGA network is far from congested so its nothing to do with load or neighbours signing up (they may increase the noise floor by 1-2% but nothing significant).

There's something up individual to your setup/line that vodafone need to get to the bottom of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

NB: You should probably keep this to its existing thread.

Enhanced is just sales speak for Vectoring. The NGA network is far from congested so its nothing to do with load or neighbours signing up (they may increase the noise floor by 1-2% but nothing significant).

There's something up individual to your setup/line that vodafone need to get to the bottom of.

Thanks Ed, have moved post to my own Fibre up 24hrs thread.

With a fullsize exchange the eVDSL goes inside the building in a rack. With a mini exchange/RSU like that they just plonk it beside it.

Cabs not at the exchange itself go where old copper cabs were placed when phones first came to the area. Your area isnt getting any of these at the moment. Eyeballing it less than 100 lines will qualify I'd say, the rural blue routes will have the big impact.

Are you replying to my posts ED E or something else?

If so, how do you know if an area is getting cabinets? Do you work with Networks, or is this publically available information?

openeir.ie/Our_Network/ Have a gander!

I'm no part of it, just reading the tea leaves. Where OpenEirs maps let you down IrelandOffline have more detail for the old exchanges (and also cover WISPs and cellular).

As I wait until the 1st June, I test and retest the line... and its getting worse, gone from 18mb to 15mb now :( would it really be worth the hassle 'upgrading' from 12mb I have now? (unless they have a better upload at 15)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

As an aside I was watching UK tv over the weekend and BT have Hollywood actor Ryan Reynolds advertising their new Infinity product with fastest speeds of up to 52Mbps. Shows you how far ahead eir are in this regard – eir’s standard 100Mbps product has been out about 2 years now.

joe_99 wrote: »
    As an aside I was watching UK tv over the weekend and BT have Hollywood actor Ryan Reynolds advertising their new Infinity product with fastest speeds of up to 52Mbps. Shows you how far ahead eir are in this regard – eir’s standard 100Mbps product has been out about 2 years now.

They have other products too. Its all well and good Eir potentially having 100Mb, but how many people can actually obtain it? They need to flood the countryside with thousands of cabinets or get the FTTH done now, not in a million years. Its great talking about what can be achieved, but for the majority of people outside a main town, internet is woeful and cringe inducing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

They have other products too. Its all well and good Eir potentially having 100Mb, but how many people can actually obtain it? They need to flood the countryside with thousands of cabinets or get the FTTH done now, not in a million years. Its all well and good talking about what can be achieved, but for the majority of people outside a main town, internet is woeful and cringe inducing.

Meanwhile your local wireless isp want a piece of the pie and is slowing down the FTTH process by trying to get its snout in the trough.

Even though they could probably resell FTTH anyway. Or god forbid run the wire themselves in conjunction with community groups.

Or provide ISP level services to differentiate themselves (usenet, large file sharing etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

aphex™ wrote: »
    Or provide ISP level services to differentiate themselves (usenet, large file sharing etc.)

how many ISPs provide usenet these days? Debatable whether it's even worth ISPs providing email, when online providers do a much better job of it.

loyatemu wrote: »
    how many ISPs provide usenet these days? Debatable whether it's even worth ISPs providing email, when online providers do a much better job of it.

No idea it was just one example but here is an isp which provides decent periphery services. I would take it over bit torrent if possible. A lot of people could use a large file transfer service for example to send personal video files or databases etc http://www.free.fr/freebox/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

maybe, but similar services are available for free on the web and many WISPs are one man and his dog operations that wouldn't have the expertise to maintain a whole load of peripheral services.

Well it works for free.fr. Also, I'm fairly sure some form of differentiation does well in most markets, in any business.

You know the constant nitpicking when people put forward ideas? That annoys the **** out of people. You must be a barrell of laughs to be around.

No need to be pissy.

In general ISPs have moved toward quad play but dropped ancillary web services. ISP Xs webspace will always suck compared to Squarespace/Hostgator/Whoever. Nobody wants johndoe@aol.com. It might work for Free but generally I don't see it going anywhere.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They have other products too. Its all well and good Eir potentially having 100Mb, but how many people can actually obtain it? They need to flood the countryside with thousands of cabinets or get the FTTH done now, not in a million years. Its great talking about what can be achieved, but for the majority of people outside a main town, internet is woeful and cringe inducing.

Actually in fairness to Eir, they are way ahead of BT in almost every aspect (as are Virgin Media Ireland ahead of their UK parent).

BT use VDSL2/FTTC for the vast majority of their customers, just like Eir do, the difference is that BT don't use vectoring like Eir do, so BT's product tops out at 80Mb/s, compared to 100Mb/s for Eir.

BT has exactly the same issues with delivering broadband to rural areas that Eir has. In fact they are worse, as they aren't using vectoring or exchange launched VDSL. Eir likely deliver 80Mb/s to a larger percentage of their customers then BT do.

Eir are now rolling FTTH out in rural Ireland, while BT have no plans to do the same in the UK. They are messing around with G.Fast as a way to avoid deploying FTTH. In fact, unlike Eir, BT really don't seem to have a plan for the rural UK.

Eir are actually doing things and they seem to be doing it as quickly as could be expected. It is our politicians who endlessly blather on and mess things up, just look at the NBP mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I noticed yesterday that the three cabs in Newmarket-on-Fergus are now completed so the e-fibre seems on track for end next month for that exchange.

Advertisement