Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

PaulieBeef wrote: »
    Is there any information on what we can expect being at one of these locations, or timelines for completion etc.?
    Not that I'm aware of. Just sit back and hope for the best basically. At least Ireland is doing something about the broadband deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Is there any information on what we can expect being at one of these locations

According to the webpage:
    To date, over 1,000 locations have been identified as target areas for the proposed fibre based connections.

or timelines for completion etc.?
    2017-2020 according to the NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ger Byrne 1

is it true that eircom are doing something with the ESB networks to bring broadband true the power lines to rural areas far away from the cabinet e
    We are 9 km from our cabinet and it looks like we will never get proper broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

is it true that eircom are doing something with the ESB networks to bring broadband true the power lines to rural areas far away from the cabinet e
    We are 9 km from our cabinet and it looks like we will never get proper broadband

No

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nope.

ESB are in partnership with Vodafone.
    Eircom are also trialling fibre to the home.

These will be premium products. At present eircom only have to run fibre to one cabinet to be able to offer faster broadband to hundreds of people connected to the cabinet by copper.

Running fibre to each one of those customers would be a lot more expensive.

Yes these products may be offered to rural customers, but it's unlikely to happen any time soon unless the government sponsors it or until after the shorter quicker installs have been done in the more profitable suburbs.

Is there any option out there for a static ip address to run security cameras
    The only broadband we can get is 3 under the nbb scheme
    and they can not supply a static ip address
    theirs keep changing and that means the cameras will not work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Option 1: look for a wireless ISP in your area. For a static IP address you will probably need a business-grade package, which will be upwards of €50-60 per month.

Option 2: look into dynamic DNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

www.dyndns.org

I use their service on several camera set ups on 3 mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

kaizersoze wrote: »
    www.dyndns.org

I use their service on several camera set ups on 3 mobile.

They went 'pay only' a short time ago and I moved on to a different free DDNS provider.

• Advertisement

who is the other provider

Is there better camera systems to use this way and is there somebody that would connect the system
    I am in south Wicklow

who is the other provider

I settled on TwoDNS.de after trialling several.

A quick search should show up several alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Yes I tried them and another I recall

http://freedns.afraid.org/

and probably more before I settled on the replacement for dyndns

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Use NO-IP, theyre excellent.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

murphaph wrote: »
    I'd just get a combo saorview/freeview sat receiver and be done with it. eVision seems like a product without a market to me (unless you're in an apartment and can't mount a sat dish)

I'd agree with this , I don't see the need to get evision either . Us netflix would also be a good alternative to Xbmc and saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hoggy102

Hi,

The Killeagh (East Cork) exhange is soon to be Efibre enabled. What speeds can I expect to get, I'm currently getting 1.6Mbps on a 2Mb sycn.

Hoggy102 wrote: »
    Hi,

The Killeagh (East Cork) exhange is soon to be Efibre enabled. What speeds can I expect to get, I'm currently getting 1.6Mbps on a 2Mb sycn.

The exact same. It wont change.

• Advertisement

Hoggy102 wrote: »
    Hi,

If you're more than 1.7KM-2KM from the exchange, you're out of range of eFibre, so you will stay with what you have currently.

If/When the NBP rolls around to you, then you will get picked up by that.

Have you any Wireless ISPs operating in your area that could give you better speeds? If you're not sure, then go to this map, drop the marker on your house and tick the Wireless ISPs option. If coverage is shown from one or more companies then give 'em a shout and they would do a signal test to make sure that they can hit your house, which shouldn't cost you anything. They should also be able to indicate what kind of speeds you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hoggy102

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    If you're more than 1.7KM-2KM from the exchange, you're out of range of eFibre, so you will stay with what you have currently.

If/When the NBP rolls around to you, then you will get picked up by that.

Have you any Wireless ISPs operating in your area that could give you better speeds? If you're not sure, then go to this map, drop the marker on your house and tick the Wireless ISPs option. If coverage is shown from one or more companies then give 'em a shout and they would do a signal test to make sure that they can hit your house, which shouldn't cost you anything. They should also be able to indicate what kind of speeds you can get

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

If that's the case then why is the whole bloody area covered with the same colour, makes no sense. That implies the whole area under the exchange is able to get the service.

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    If that's the case then why is the whole bloody area covered with the same colour, makes no sense. That implies the whole area under the exchange is able to get the service.

Thats the retail map. Use the wholesale map.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

I'm in a rural area and we are just over 2km from the village, but I see there's a new cabinet about to go live only 0.7km away as the bird flies and about 1 to 1.5 km away depending on how the wires are routed. When this cabinet eventually goes live, will there be any immediate improvement or will I have to wait for fibre to be routed from the cabinet to my house and if yes, will they automatically run fibre to my house as I'm a current Broadband customer or will I have to make a request? Also I'm currently with Vodafone, but out of contract, is there any advantage in switching back to Eircom?

ED E wrote: »
    Thats the retail map. Use the wholesale map.

Unfortunately the wholesale map doesn't actually show the VDSL coverage area ... or does it and I've not spotted the magic button to make it do so. :p

SeamusFX wrote: »
    I'm in a rural area and we are just over 2km from the village, but I see there's a new cabinet about to go live only 0.7km away as the bird flies and about 1 to 1.5 km away depending on how the wires are routed. When this cabinet eventually goes live, will there be any immediate improvement or will I have to wait for fibre to be routed from the cabinet to my house and if yes, will they automatically run fibre to my house as I'm a current Broadband customer or will I have to make a request? Also I'm currently with Vodafone, but out of contract, is there any advantage in switching back to Eircom?

Once the cab goes live you have to order an upgrade, through any provider. They give you a new socket and then change your cable over at the cab. Existing phone line stays in place. Vodafone are typically best value.
    MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Unfortunately the wholesale map doesn't actually show the VDSL coverage area ... or does it and I've not spotted the magic button to make it do so. :p

They dont because they are doing it correctly. Covered and non covered areas doesnt make any sense at all when you're heavily dependant on legacy copper plant and how it may or may not be run. Even drawing 2KM circles around each cab isnt really honest.

Eircom retail have tried to make it "idiot friendly" with their lovely green swathes but in reality this just leads to disappointment for many.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Are eircom currently going back to do all the E01 'cabs' of previously enabled areas that had the whole exchange area enabled bar the actual exchange itself?

The rollout in rural areas seems to have stalled with very few of the areas down for May either done, or currently have no planned live date.

The retail map is badly needing an update too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Alsalmo

I live in Naas and a "promoted" post from eircom appeared in my Twitter account yesterday inviting me to sign up for 1,000 Mbps broadband.

We have had up to 100 Mb for a while (I get about 57), and wonder if this is happening, or is promised, for many locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Nollog

Alsalmo wrote: »
    I live in Naas and a "promoted" post from eircom appeared in my Twitter account yesterday inviting me to sign up for 1,000 Mbps broadband.

We have had up to 100 Mb for a while (I get about 57), and wonder if this is happening, or is promised, for many locations.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057315844&page=48 66 Towns

So far reports from Letterkenny, Drogheda, Wexford Town, Castlebar, Kilkenny, Naas, Sanyford, Sligo, Tralee, Carrigaline, Cavan, Douglas, Ennis and Greystones.

Advertisement