Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

bk wrote: »
    Actually in fairness to Eir, they are way ahead of BT in almost every aspect (as are Virgin Media Ireland ahead of their UK parent).

BT use VDSL2/FTTC for the vast majority of their customers, just like Eir do, the difference is that BT don't use vectoring like Eir do, so BT's product tops out at 80Mb/s, compared to 100Mb/s for Eir.

BT has exactly the same issues with delivering broadband to rural areas that Eir has. In fact they are worse, as they aren't using vectoring or exchange launched VDSL. Eir likely deliver 80Mb/s to a larger percentage of their customers then BT do.

Eir are now rolling FTTH out in rural Ireland, while BT have no plans to do the same in the UK. They are messing around with G.Fast as a way to avoid deploying FTTH. In fact, unlike Eir, BT really don't seem to have a plan for the rural UK.

Eir are actually doing things and they seem to be doing it as quickly as could be expected. It is our politicians who endlessly blather on and mess things up, just look at the NBP mess.
    This. Whatever about the long winding on mess that the NBP is becoming, eir have to be commended for their work in this field. Homes in the absolute middle of nowhere near me will have access to 1Gbps by the end of the year, faster than I can get in Limerick city at present!

open eir connected 3,300 premises to FTTC last week, they really are going as fast as they can (when they want to!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Is 100mb the fastest speed that can be got from FTTC ? I live about 500 metres from a cabinet and I'm told my line is capable of 90mb, however when I do a speed test, the best I get is approx 70mb. Im just wondering could say 300mb be sent to the cabinet, resulting in say 250mb to me, or is it because it's copper to my house from the cabinet that means the max copper can take is 90/100mb ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

galtee boy wrote: »
    Is 100mb the fastest speed that can be got from FTTC ? I live about 500 metres from a cabinet and I'm told my line is capable of 90mb, however when I do a speed test, the best I get is approx 70mb. Im just wondering could say 300mb be sent to the cabinet, resulting in say 250mb to me, or is it because it's copper to my house from the cabinet that means the max copper can take is 90/100mb ?

VDSL currently supports a maximum of 100Mbps. It doesn't matter what Eir push to the cabinet it won't increase your speed past what you're getting. It's the copper line limiting you there. If they pushed fibre from the cabinet to your house then that would allow you to get much better speeds.

VDSL currently supports a maximum of 100Mbps. It doesn't matter what Eir push to the cabinet it won't increase your speed past what you're getting. It's the copper line limiting you there. If they pushed fibre from the cabinet to your house then that would allow you to get much better speeds.

I suppose in time, new technology will allow for greater than 100mb on the copper wire, provided you're not too far from a cabinet. In the meantime, do we really need speeds in excess of 100mb ? Unless you're a high tech business uploading and downloading huge files etc ? Other than that for example, Vodafone only require 40mbs for their TV service which has quite a few HD channels, allows recording of 4 channels at one time etc, 6/7 Mbps will stream Netflix in HD no problem, 2mbs will stream SD and so on. I know it's not all about streaming TV, but the target should be to get 50mb to EVERY house in the country, not just getting 1GB via FTTH to selected towns and selected pockets of the countryside. If you look at the Eir map of projected routes for the FTTH, in loads of cases, it will run along one road, but skip neighbouring roads and side roads, so one house will have 1GB and their neighbour half a mile away on a side road, will have diddly squat !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you look at the Eir map of projected routes for the FTTH, in loads of cases, it will run along one road, but skip neighbouring roads and side roads, so one house will have 1GB and their neighbour half a mile away on a side road, will have diddly squat !
    You surely do not expect eir to do the NBP out of their own coffers?
    The 'blue-lines' are eir's proposed commercial roll-out of FTTH.
    Accept it for what it is - a commercial endeavour.
    Otherwise the question could be "why do not UPC/VirginMedia roll out their service to everywhere including rural Ireland?"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

but the target should be to get 50mb to EVERY house in the country, not just getting 1GB via FTTH to selected towns and selected pockets of the countryside. If you look at the Eir map of projected routes for the FTTH, in loads of cases, it will run along one road, but skip neighbouring roads and side roads, so one house will have 1GB and their neighbour half a mile away on a side road, will have diddly squat !

The target is NOT 1Gb via FTTH, the goal is 30Mb/s for every home in Ireland by 2020 (likely won't be achieved now).

Eir aren't using FTTH because it can do 1Gb/s, they are using FTTH because it is the only technology that can achieve consistent 30Mb/s in rural areas. Every other broadband technology is severely limited by distance, the further you are from the node, the less speed you get, quickly falling to nothing. Fiber is the only broadband technology that isn't effected by distance, which is what makes it so ideal for rural applications. This is why Eir is using FTTH, the fact that it also delivers incredibly high speeds is purely a happy coincidence to the main goal, the icing on the cake.

And why do you think Eir are only delivering FTTH in pockets?! Eir plan on delivering FTTH to 300,000 rural homes out of their own pocket, almost half of all the "rural" homes in Ireland. We should be jumping up and down in joy that they have opted to do that!

And they would like to do the other half, even harder to reach homes, with FTTH too, but understandably with Government subsidy.

Your anger is misdirected galtee boy, don't blame Eir for this mess, blame the TD's you voted for and who are currently making a mess out of the NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

6/7 Mbps will stream Netflix in HD no problem.

If only it was as straight forward as that.
    I am currently on 61432(kbps) in a major city yet streaming netflix on HD last few weeks is a no go.
    Matters are hopefully in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I suppose in time, new technology will allow for greater than 100mb on the copper wire, provided you're not too far from a cabinet.

Technology may come along to push more 1s and 0s through copper, but I wouldn't expect open eir to invest in it. The equipment they have for VDSL is very expensive to purchase, operate and maintain. The equipment needed for FTTH is less so.

I would expect open eir to complete their existing roll out of VDSL and then fully engage with rolling out FTTH to the 300,000 homes on their current plan, the NBP if they get a slice of the action and then finally to loop back around and upgrade their VDSL customers (hopefully COMREG will have dropped the USO for a copper pair for every cow shed in the land by then).

Edit: - Then BK puts out this interesting thread about G.Fast.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Technology may come along to push more 1s and 0s through copper, but I wouldn't expect open eir to invest in it. The equipment they have for VDSL is very expensive to purchase, operate and maintain. The equipment needed for FTTH is less so.

I would expect open eir to complete their existing roll out of VDSL and then fully engage with rolling out FTTH to the 300,000 homes on their current plan, the NBP if they get a slice of the action and then finally to loop back around and upgrade their VDSL customers (hopefully COMREG will have dropped the USO for a copper pair for every cow shed in the land by then).

I wonder what effects that might have for those companies providing VOIP services ....... will it mean they will have to supply a backup PSU for the modem to ensure Phone connection in the event of a supply failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I wonder what effects that might have for those companies providing VOIP services ....... will it mean they will have to supply a backup PSU for the modem to ensure Phone connection in the event of a supply failure?

Sure won't the country be covered in mobile phone masts to satisfy the independents in the Government - as long as your iThing has a charge, shure you'll be grand!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

None, USO doesnt apply to them. The USO already allows eir to provide fixed radio telephony in the back arse of beyond. Dropping the "landline if €7000 or less to run it" just frees up OpenEir from their chains of having to connect Bettys 56k line in Some Boreen, Middle of Nowhere, Kerry.

Getting the eircom group out of a debt hole just allows them better compete with the Sparks and Eurogiants, a benefit for everyone.

Most phones nowadays arent 48v powered and dont work in an outage anyways.

ED E wrote: »
    None, USO doesnt apply to them. The USO already allows eir to provide fixed radio telephony in the back arse of beyond. Dropping the "landline if €7000 or less to run it" just frees up OpenEir from their chains of having to connect Bettys 56k line in Some Boreen, Middle of Nowhere, Kerry.

Getting the eircom group out of a debt hole just allows them better compete with the Sparks and Eurogiants, a benefit for everyone.

Most phones nowadays arent 48v powered and dont work in an outage anyways.

I cannot see it going completely like that.
    I could imagine a requirement where a phone is provided as part of the package that there would need to be (at least) the option for a backup PSU for the connection in case of emergency.
    Whether the cost for that would be borne by the provider or the recipient is another matter.

USO is currently extended 6 months from Jan 1 2016, we could see it changed in July at the earliest.

From the horses mouth:
    with ComReg’s proposal to extend the designation on the basis that “there is a clear trend to cancel fixed lines, particularly in rural areas in favour of mobile connectivity and a general trend to focus fixed connections on broadband only.”

Additionally, ComReg has previously indicated that in principle, a managed Voice over Internet Protocol (“VoIP”) service over a high speed quality network could satisfy the requirements of a voice AFL USO, if provided at an affordable price.33 This is because the VoIP service will provide access at a fixed location allowing for voice and data services.

Eirs response to their draft is interesting though, basically throwing a hissy fit at increased targets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I suppose in time, new technology will allow for greater than 100mb on the copper wire, provided you're not too far from a cabinet.
    MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Just in case anyone isn't clear, phone grade twisted pair is very lossy per distance and that loss is what determines the speed limits. Pretty much the only way to offer higher speeds is over shorter and shorter distances. FTTC just shortens the distance to the broadband port by moving them from the exchange to the cab.

If you are miles and miles from the port then FTTC isn't going to do much for you. And line quality in the last mile can hobble your connection too.

Your anger is misdirected galtee boy, don't blame Eir for this mess, blame the TD's you voted for and who are currently making a mess out of the NBP.[/QUOTE]

I'm not angry, I have my 70mb from a cabinet 500m away, which will give me TV from Vodafone etc if I want it. I'm just genuinely sorry for the poor sods who may be only hundreds of metres from the " blue lines" but will watch their neighbours get up to 1gb, while they struggle with at best 1mb, and you're right, it's the politicians who are promising 30mb to EVERY home in the country, but we will be lucky if that happens by 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

I Hope Eir allow the people near the blue line upgrade to FTTH if there willing to pay it won't cost much probably €2,500 which wouldn't be bad since FTTH adds value to your house.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    I Hope Eir allow the people near the blue line upgrade to FTTH if there willing to pay it won't cost much probably €2,500 which wouldn't be bad since FTTH adds value to your house.

totally agree, there are many examples of blue lines stopping short of 10/20 houses within a very small area and ive even heard it stopping short of 40/60 houses over a small area while there are other scenarios of blue lines running for miles and only passing 3 to 4 houses. Those close by should be able to pay a bit extra to connect a whole community up rather than waiting up to another 10 years for the NBP to happen, if it ever happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Got hooked up this morning

5324442142.png

Stuck on the 40/10 profile until they vector the exchange?

DSL synchronization status:
    Up
    Connection status:
    Showtime
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
    Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
    Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
    Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
    Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
    Upstream interleave depth:
    Downstream interleave depth:
    Line standard:
    VDSL
    Upstream line attenuation (dB):
    Downstream line attenuation (dB):
    Upstream output power (dBmV):
    Downstream output power (dBmV):
    Downstream interleave depth:
    None

You may have to wait a day but they should be able to bump you to 50_15.

You may have to wait a day but they should be able to bump you to 50_15.

Thanks Ed I'll give them a ring monday

• Advertisement

I'm guessing if the prequal isn't over 40Mb they won't be able to increase the speed? Haven't rang them yet but seen similar threads around this place

I'm guessing if the prequal isn't over 40Mb they won't be able to increase the speed? Haven't rang them yet but seen similar threads around this place

Yep. Call them anyway and speak to a tech, they can request a new prequal test from OpenEir manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Hey guys,
    Sorry if not exactly the right place to ask the question, but been on Eir for the last 2 months all been good and no complaints (touch wood). Just wondering how or why would my line be only using a 60M profile rather than the full what is attainable 120 (or at least the 100M)

Are you in very close proximity to the cab? I've limited faith in the modems ability to read attenuation. Attains and SNR are excellent.

Are you in very close proximity to the cab? I've limited faith in the modems ability to read attenuation. Attains and SNR are excellent.

Cheers for quick response ED E.
    As the crow flies Im about 75 - 100m from the cab. However could be anything further with actual cable runs. I did suspect that SNR / db read very well and thought that maybe over the 60M would be available to me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

can vectored FTTC potentially reach up to 120meg and Eir has it capped at 100 max?

Maybe, not sure. No way to really tell if vectoring is enabled though right? Even still Im curious as to why Im on 60M if the line is capable of doing more.

Figures adapt as you change profile, so going from 60-80 you might see attainables fall but that line should manage 90Mb at the minimum if not the full 100.

business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/ - whats your prequal?

Exchange Code: Unknown
    DSL Enabled: Yes - 15 MB
    NGB Enabled: Yes - 15 MB
    Fibre Enabled: Yes - 100 MB
    LLU Enabled: No

• Advertisement

You're golden so.

Advertisement