Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

padraig.od wrote: »
    what map are you getting this information from?

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

The Thin Blue Line on Eir's FTTH map looks interesting to me for 2 reasons. First is that according to them I will be able to avail of their new service. Second is that the blue line to mine & neighbouring houses doesn't follow the existing phone lines. As of now the existing line follows ribbon development over a 40 year period with the line running approx 2-3km away from my house to older residences before looping back to where I live. If they plan to follow the route shown I can envisage a lot of investment to route the new FTTH line to my address. Is their map over optimistic, will Eir be routing new cable or is this blue line dependant on Siro's roll-out?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Nothing to do with Siro.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Manc Red wrote: »

Argggh! The thin blue line stops 50m short of my front door!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

this thin blue line is what exactly?

ftth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

lawred2 wrote: »
    this thin blue line is what exactly?

ftth?

Yes, hover over the "Rural Fibre Routes" button on the map page for info.

Yes, hover over the "Rural Fibre Routes" button on the map page for info.

well after being stuck on adsl for the last how long; we've now got a blue line passing our front door

would you credit that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

We should bear in mind that the 'thin blue line' is only indicative and not exact.

For instance I see a blue line going off road to a small farmers Haybarn where it stops.

I can assure you that is not going to happen ....... so do not take the 'thin blue line' as drawn on the map as 'gospel'.

We should bear in mind that the 'thin blue line' is only indicative and not exact.

For instance I see a blue line going off road to a small farmers Haybarn where it stops.

I can assure you that is not going to happen ....... so do not take the 'thin blue line' as drawn on the map as 'gospel'.

ah yeah but we're on a developing stretch of road in the middle of Malahide, Portmarnock and Swords.

I'd say that the blue line there is reliable enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i'd say most of the blue lines are reliable enough as most of them follow ribbon developments and main roads where people live.

I have seen a few examples that don't make sense tho like blue lines in the middle of nowhere running through fields only to eventually serve 2 or 3 houses, its those sort of lines that I would question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Gonzo wrote: »

I have seen a few examples that don't make sense tho like blue lines in the middle of nowhere running through fields only to eventually serve 2 or 3 houses, its those sort of lines that I would question.
    Unless they run to an existing internet customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

lawred2 wrote: »
    ah yeah but we're on a developing stretch of road in the middle of Malahide, Portmarnock and Swords.

I'd say that the blue line there is reliable enough.
    I look at eir NGA map it seem to go blurry were I live so can't get a accurate look so had to use google earth it seem the blue line end right outside my home.I have to on there FTTH roll out because if I wasn't it would end before my house it kill me not knowing what do you guys think .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're all zooming in an looking if you're just in or just out. Forget it. The lads in eircom networks doing that planning were no doubt zoomed way out doing approximate zones, they didnt decide on a house by house basis for 100K + homes. You could be 500m inside and not get it, or 1km outside and still get it.

Wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

ED E wrote: »
    You're all zooming in an looking if you're just in or just out. Forget it. The lads in eircom networks doing that planning were no doubt zoomed way out doing approximate zones, they didnt decide on a house by house basis for 100K + homes. You could be 500m inside and not get it, or 1km outside and still get it.

Wait and see.
    Actually, the government needs something firm from Eircom to properly map for the NBP contract. The blue lines are probably exactly what they have told the government so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

ED E wrote: »

Wait and see.
    Totally agree. When it comes to mapping, Eir's mapping of live exchanges bears no relation to availability of eFibre at a specific location. So that calls into question the whole mapping process. The efibre map says my 'exchange is now live'. Vodafone tell me 100MB is available when I check my number, Eir say 24MB is available when I check them.
    And this is what I end up with.
    4689743668.png

So the thin blue line should be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I would like to think that the blue lines on the map are a much more accurate representation of where Eir plan to bring FTTH over the map checker for eFibre.

The map for eFibre was totally not representative as it fills the entire exchange with the 'live' status when in reality only a fraction of that area can get efibre.

The blue lines should be fairly accurate because it is mapping a 'cable' of fibre that will be connecting houses along roads. These lines also radiate mostly within 2-5Km of towns and villages and not much further indicating that they are mainly looking after the many ribbon developments that extend from most towns and villages. There is very little if any one off housing or rural roads with just a few houses catered for in this plan. All this leads me to belief that what is mapped is fairly realistic, I just hope that Eir sticks to their word and has this completed mid 2020 for everyone concerned. Even if your lucky and get it in 2017 that's still a relatively long wait!.

I would like to think that the blue lines on the map are a much more accurate representation of where Eir plan to bring FTTH over the map checker for eFibre.

The map for eFibre was totally not representative as it fills the entire exchange with the 'live' status when in reality only a fraction of that area can get efibre.

The blue lines should be fairly accurate because it is mapping a 'cable' of fibre that will be connecting houses along roads. These lines also radiate mostly within 2-5Km of towns and villages and not much further indicating that they are mainly looking after the many ribbon developments that extend from most towns and villages. There is very little if any one off housing or rural roads with just a few houses catered for in this plan. All this leads me to belief that what is mapped is fairly realistic, I just hope that Eir sticks to their word and has this completed mid 2020 for everyone concerned. Even if your lucky and get it in 2017 that's still a relatively long wait!.

I understood the gov attitude to be that anything not completed by 2017 was to be included in the NBP.
    Did I misunderstand ?

I understood the gov attitude to be that anything not completed by 2017 was to be included in the NBP.
    Did I misunderstand ?

Yes, end of 2016, so either way, anybody that doesn't have a minimum of 30 Mbps by then will be included in the NBP.

Yes, end of 2016, so either way, anybody that doesn't have a minimum of 30 Mbps by then will be included in the NBP.

This means that eir's statement to have those 'thin blue lines' completed by end of 2020 is meaningless ...... as the majority(?) will be in the NBP :)

This means that eir's statement to have those 'thin blue lines' completed by end of 2020 is meaningless ...... as the majority(?) will be in the NBP :)

Unless they're planning to use some other technology like FWA until 2020, and FTTH is completely rolled out?

• Advertisement

Unless they're planning to use some other technology like FWA until 2020, and FTTH is completely rolled out?

You think that likely?

I would not think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ask yourselves the following: which entity has done more to improve broadband, the state or Eircom? I'd put more faith in Eircom than defer to the NBP given the choice!

the NBP is outdated before it even gets started, we've been what seems like years hearing about this 30meg minimum for every home in the country yet nothing seems to be moving forward with the NBP.

It's great knowing that Eir/Eircom have stepped in and are willing to provide the majority of us with decent fibre and those of us along the blue lines are no longer part of the NBP. While 2017-2020 is along way off I have reasonable confidence that Eir will complete it by the end of 2020 once they have a decent amount of teams working on several areas at the one time.

We won't know who wins the contract for the NBP till sometime next year and I can just imagine whoever wins the contract, will take them years, maybe 10 years to complete it.

the NBP is outdated before it even gets started, we've been what seems like years hearing about this 30meg minimum for every home in the country yet nothing seems to be moving forward with the NBP.

30Mb/s is specified by the EU who will be part funding this roll out.
    It's great knowing that Eir/Eircom have stepped in and are willing to provide the majority of us with decent fibre and those of us along the blue lines are no longer part of the NBP.

That is not yet certain ..... see previous posts.
    While 2017-2020 is along way off I have reasonable confidence that Eir will complete it by the end of 2020 once they have a decent amount of teams working on several areas at the one time.

The info at present would indicate that those areas will remain within the NBP unless eir complete them by 2017, not 2020.
    We won't know who wins the contract for the NBP till sometime next year and I can just imagine whoever wins the contract, will take them years, maybe 10 years to complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭funnyname

The info at present would indicate that those areas will remain within the NBP unless eir complete them by 2017, not 2020.

Let's hope NBP is also ftth then as well else it's just pissing our money down the drain again like they did with subsidising 3 to provide "broadband".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

funnyname wrote: »
    Let's hope NBP is also ftth then as well else it's just pissing our money down the drain again like they did with subsidising 3 to provide "broadband".
    yea don't want to be getting broadband of imagine or ripplecom because I don't think they be able to make a future proof network.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

Totally agree. When it comes to mapping, Eir's mapping of live exchanges bears no relation to availability of eFibre at a specific location. So that calls into question the whole mapping process. The efibre map says my 'exchange is now live'. Vodafone tell me 100MB is available when I check my number, Eir say 24MB is available when I check them.
    And this is what I end up with.
    4689743668.png

So the thin blue line should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I'd just move house that that terrible internet!! No serious...just sell up and go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭mikedoherty99

Why are eircom using 2 shades of green to indicate planned or in build fibre

Like couldnt they use 2 different colours to make it simpler?

Why are eircom using 2 shades of green to indicate planned or in build fibre

Like couldnt they use 2 different colours to make it simpler?

there the new map colours since they relaunched as Eir, it is a bit more difficult to make out. I think the old colours were Green for live, Blue for in progress and Orange for planned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭mikedoherty99

there the new map colours since they relaunched as Eir, it is a bit more difficult to make out. I think the old colours were Green for live, Blue for in progress and Orange for planned.

i hope this is not a portent of things to come

Advertisement