Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

So just ring Eir or get onto the Eir forum here and see if anyone can sort it for me? Appreciate the help

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, its just a few clicks for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Local exchange has two 'sets' of numbers ...... that is numbers beginning with three digits that are different.
    Lets say one lot of phone numbers are
    368xxx
    and the others
    476yyy

All are serviced by the one exchange.

The 368xxx numbers report the following
    Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 15 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 15 MB

Fibre Enabled: No

LLU Enabled: No
    with varying speeds up to 17Mb/s depending on location and down to 3Mb/s for distant connections.

The 476yyy reports are like this
    Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 17 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 17 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

LLU Enabled: No

The most notable feature is that on 368xxx lines the fibre is not enabled while on the 476yyy lines it is shown as enabled.

My questions are:

Is this a common occurrence?
    What is the most likely explanation for it?

Do no 368 numbers prequalify or just a few?

ED E wrote: »
    Do no 368 numbers prequalify or just a few?

I have tried about a dozen, from various locations and none show fibre enabled.

• Advertisement

If the town has two racks then its possible they've jumpered one and not the other yet.

If the town has two racks then its possible they've jumpered one and not the other yet.

Is this an unusual situation? ........ just wondering out of interest ....

Just an update.
    After a rigmarole of getting my non land-line land-line number I got the upgrade. However Eir Tech suggest 80Meg for now. Think it's best. The downstream signal went from 27 to 12. Significant change so think I'll stick to the 80Meg

EDIT: SNR / Atten stabilized back to the other numbers and still at 80Meg will request the 100M tomorrow?

Edit2: Rang, they could only bump me up to 90M. So far so good and downstream signal is around 20. Overall drop of 7db for the increase of 30meg

Is this an unusual situation? ........ just wondering out of interest ....

Only OpenEir would know. I suspect not as its high return for little work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fr0zen

So im currently on a 40/10 connection straight to the exchange in Carrigaline but I have multiple cabinets very close to me (within 400m) but my ping timings around Ireland and Europe are still relatively bad, out of curiosity is there any possibility that I could be changed to a cabinet , have you ever heard of this happening? and if I were to be changed to a cabinet would that improve my ping?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

No, and no.

I had a quick look at eir's map today (it's been a while since I did)
    https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/
    and I failed to notice any cabinet that was coloured for completion in more than one year.
    I was more than a little impressed with the quantity and times indicated TBH.
    By the looks of it they hope to have all their cabinets live within a year.

I must remember to check that map regularly to see if it is updated to reflect the cabs to be done in the following six weeks and six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I had a quick look at eir's map today (it's been a while since I did)
    https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/
    and I failed to notice any cabinet that was coloured for completion in more than one year.
    I was more than a little impressed with the quantity and times indicated TBH.
    By the looks of it they hope to have all their cabinets live within a year.

I must remember to check that map regularly to see if it is updated to reflect the cabs to be done in the following six weeks and six months.

Don't bother with that map. Use this one instead, it's more reliable.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Don't bother with that map. Use this one instead, it's more reliable.

There are no indicative times in the pop-ups on that map and no coloured indicators based on expected completion/live dates, that I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

There are no indicative times in the pop-ups on that map and no coloured indicators based on expected completion/live dates, that I saw.

On the right hand side of the map, tick "All" under Select NGA Exchange Status. The markers that show up will give you a rough idea when.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The most accurate information is on the fibrerollout.ie website

The eir Fibre Info map is basically bluff in order to give some sort of indicative date. The dates are wildly inaccurate for exchanges turned on soon, and vaguely accurate for the planned FTTH homes being done at the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Eir Salesmen knocking at doors today in my village. My house is now Efibre enabled. They said it take a week for the tech to call to the house and connect me.

My internet for the last year every evening the speed would drop to 1meg was on 6meg the year before. They blamed it on Congestion. Now today its close to 7.30pm its at 6meg have not seen that speed in over a year! I'm on the same Asdl1 line, so why is suddenly working again? Does Efibre at your home improve ASDL1 speeds?

Eir Salesmen knocking at doors today in my village. My house is now Efibre enabled. They said it take a week for the tech to call to the house and connect me.

My internet for the last year every evening the speed would drop to 1meg was on 6meg the year before. They blamed it on Congestion. Now today its close to 7.30pm its at 6meg have not seen that speed in over a year! I'm on the same Asdl1 line, so why is suddenly working again? Does Efibre at your home improve ASDL1 speeds?

That means they've bothered to move the ADSL rack over from radio onto the fibre that feeds the efibre cabs in the exchange.

You'll probably see pretty consistent and likely better latency now too.

That means they've bothered to move the ADSL rack over from radio onto the fibre that feeds the efibre cabs in the exchange.

You'll probably see pretty consistent and likely better latency now too.

Thanks for the information. Around 27 ping at the moment about 430 metres from my local exchange my house.

marno21 wrote: »
    The most accurate information is on the fibrerollout.ie website

The eir Fibre Info map is basically bluff in order to give some sort of indicative date. The dates are wildly inaccurate for exchanges turned on soon, and vaguely accurate for the planned FTTH homes being done at the end of the year.

I have a feeling a lot of exchanges will go live by the end of June. A video i posted awhile back featured a lady working for EIR said 1.6 million homes will be connected by the end of June. Its only showing 1.4 million connected on their maps. I had my doubts as the map was showing Summer/Autumn for me. But its available now for me and June is not even arrived yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I have a feeling a lot of exchanges will go live by the end of June. A video i posted awhile back featured a lady working for EIR said 1.6 million homes will be connected by the end of June. Its only showing 1.4 million connected on their maps. I had my doubts as the map was showing Summer/Autumn for me. But its available now for me and June is not even arrived yet.
    6,600 homes, 16 exchange cabinets and 19 additional cabinets were enabled last week.

open eir, like Will Grigg, are on fire.

6,600 homes, 16 exchange cabinets and 19 additional cabinets were enabled last week.

open eir, like Will Grigg, are on fire.

I missed that news, got a link? Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

saw Eir and KNN working between Clara, County Offaly and Kilbeggan, Westmeath on Saturday and today. Also saw Eir working around the Tara exchange last week.

I'll post my speed stats when i am connected. My line is connected to the exchange. A cabinet is located there about 430-450 metres.

Would i be guaranteed more then 50 meg at that range, anyone know?

Said 5 to 10 days to connect. New Contract 64 Euros a month 12 months. Staying away from the 18th month contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

What I don't understand at all about this is Donohill was down a month ago as done within 12 months while the bigger exchange right next to it that would serve probably triple the number of people has been demoted yet again from Spring to Summer to Autumn. Donohill is literally just a pub, a small estate and farmers. No offence to anyone in Donohill but it's a blink and it's gone village.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

demoted yet again from Spring to Summer to Autumn.

Looking at the map earlier today our local exchange has gone to Autumn also. Started off as Spring/Summer then moved to Summer in early May and now pushed back to Autumn. A nearby exchange Doon, Co Limerick is going live at the end of June.

What I don't understand at all about this is Donohill was down a month ago as done within 12 months while the bigger exchange right next to it that would serve probably triple the number of people has been demoted yet again from Spring to Summer to Autumn. Donohill is literally just a pub, a small estate and farmers. No offence to anyone in Donohill but it's a blink and it's gone village.

AS has been done to death before, this isnt just about how many it serves. There are many many factors taken into account that are mostly not public knowledge. For example: The Core network may be the far side of Donohill and has to be run to there first before upgrading the bigger exchange later on. Or it could be something else. Zero point in second guessing.

• Advertisement

Hey guys,
    Recently moved and now closer to the cab so my DSL sync is great and has the potential to do 130M.
    Strange thing is the DSL keeps dropping out every so often. Think it might be worth while asking to be put down to a 90M profile

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):20478
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s):102396
    Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):26840
    Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):131006
    Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):12.5
    Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):17.4
    Upstream interleave depth:0
    Downstream interleave depth:0
    Line standard:VDSL
    Upstream line attenuation (dB):9.9
    Downstream line attenuation (dB):6.7
    Upstream output power (dBmV):-17.8