Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options
1283284285286287289»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kevinbad2010

BandMember wrote: »
    Thanks to both of you for the reply. Did another check and I have noticed one or two other exchanges in the county as having been boosted from 70 to 100 on the Fibre Where and When site. However, when I run a few numbers/addresses from my exchange/area on the Eir site, they get the same speeds as before (up to 70 max). I checked the closest numbers to the exchange, they all stayed the same.

So, I would imagine it's either a typo on the where and when site or else the Eir site hasn't been updated yet (which is no surprise as it's an absolute disgrace how inaccurate it is), but obviously I'm hoping that the former is actually the correct situation.... :D

I suppose the main point of my post was to see if anyone else had experienced vectoring or seen a bump on their speeds anywhere else as I would imagine that they have been doing it in as many places as possible - if they are actually doing it at all??

I believe Eir systems actually limit the amount of based on what operator did what you could probably call up eir and ask for a speed test on your line to see if it can be upgraded my one was changed on Eir status a few times from 30 to 20 and to 25MB now yet I still have the same speeds as always above that at 40MB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

BandMember wrote:
    Thanks to both of you for the reply. Did another check and I have noticed one or two other exchanges in the county as having been boosted from 70 to 100 on the Fibre Where and When site. However, when I run a few numbers/addresses from my exchange/area on the Eir site, they get the same speeds as before (up to 70 max). I checked the closest numbers to the exchange, they all stayed the same.

I suspect the card has been updates to support vectoring, but the lines have not yet been retested to give new prequal values.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,490 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

BandMember wrote: »
    However, when I run a few numbers/addresses from my exchange/area on the Eir site, they get the same speeds as before (up to 70 max). I checked the closest numbers to the exchange, they all stayed the same.

Maybe the APQ file hasn't been updated to reflect the vectoring upgrade yet?
    Have you checked any numbers beyond 1.5 kms, the limit for unvectored VDSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭BandMember

The Cush wrote: »
    Maybe the APQ file hasn't been updated to reflect the vectoring upgrade yet?
    Have you checked any numbers beyond 1.5 kms, the limit for unvectored VDSL?

At this stage, it's hard to know who has and hasn't a landline in the area so where I can't find a number, I've been testing addresses. However, this isn't great as sometimes that whole section of the webpage comes up completely blank (nothing there at all) when I try more than two or three addresses or somewhere I know is on the edge of the 1.5km distance....

I'm gonna run a few speedtests later and see what they throw up. All I can do for now, might try Eir live chat tomorrow and see what they say too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jd wrote: »
    I suspect the card has been updates to support vectoring, but the lines have not yet been retested to give new prequal values.

It would be normal for them to run the MTAU again afterwards even just to verify their work.

That said the APQ on OpenEirs side could be up to date but the LOs havent refreshed it yet. Or it could just be an error, their site can be all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭BandMember

Did a couple of speedtests tonight, but no improvement in speed. I'll give Eir a shout tomorrow and see what the story is....

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fr0zen

Anyone have any ideas of how I have 10mb upload but the max download I can get is 40? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

fr0zen wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas of how I have 10mb upload but the max download I can get is 40? Thanks

Because you are probably around ~930m from the cab or if connected to an exchange ~750m.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

fr0zen wrote: »
    It's not a linear relationship because the lower, more stable frequencies in the spectrum are used for upload and the higher, more noise sensitive frequencies are for download. So your noise sources will not affect upload and download equally. At least that's understanding of it.

In practice the rating is applied by attenuation measured by the MTAU/DSLAM. There are lines that for whatever reason might work on 80_10 but its not permitted and they're forced to 40_10.

fr0zen is most likely at the normal range for that kind of profile though as ItHurts described.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 PingPong911

Fibre cabinet up and running in my area. Anyone reckon what I could get from these stats?

Connection Speed: 9215 kbps/670 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 37.5 dB/ 20.7 dB
    Noise Margin: 7 dB/ 22.22 dB

Max I can attain on Speedtest.net at the minute is 8Mbs

We cant use those stats, they're unrelated. Unless your "cabinet" is actually an exchange, then you're ineligible.

ED E wrote: »
    We cant use those stats, they're unrelated. Unless your "cabinet" is actually an exchange, then you're ineligible.
    Quite strange. Because one of the reps from Sky said i'm eligible on a 30Mbs profile on the cabinet that went live just last week. Line distance i'm about 350m, however that line could actually be longer, possible routing itself all round my estate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Quite strange. Because one of the reps from Sky said i'm eligible on a 30Mbs profile on the cabinet that went live just last week. Line distance i'm about 350m, however that line could actually be longer, possible routing itself all round my estate.

try your number in the link below, will let you know if you pass for fibre or not

http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/

I get this

Exchange Code: Unknown
    DSL Enabled: Yes - 10 MB
    NGB Enabled: Yes - 10 MB
    Fibre Enabled: Yes - 30 MB
    LLU Enabled: No

However I done a line check on both of my neighbors homes and they both seemingly get 40Mbs on the Eir line check. Would there be a possibility for me getting a bump up to 40 or is 30 just about it for me?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I get this

Exchange Code: Unknown
    DSL Enabled: Yes - 10 MB
    NGB Enabled: Yes - 10 MB
    Fibre Enabled: Yes - 30 MB
    LLU Enabled: No

However I done a line check on both of my neighbors homes and they both seemingly get 40Mbs on the Eir line check. Would there be a possibility for me getting a bump up to 40 or is 30 just about it for me?

seems like Eir have you down for 30, your neighbours are probably closer to the cabinet. FTTC speeds fall off a cliff very quickly after 1km from cabinet.

Prequals are only an estimate. Wait till install, you may get 20, you may get 50. Often the install process fixes legacy problems with terrible internal wiring.

Advertisement