Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Psygnosis wrote: »

Would anyone have a schedule of when the rollout and what towns are set to go live on dates.
    How exactly are they doing it setting up small cabinets outsides people estated where I presume fibre will go to from the main exchange. These cabinets will then provide the internet to the house over the existing copper is this correct.

There is a list of the 10 exchanges to be upgraded on the eircom wholesale website.
    Basically they change the cable from your local green cabinet back to the exchange with a fibre, copper runs from the cabinet to your house. This is known as FTTC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

In the UK the ratio between homes with fibre an homes with fibre to the box at the bottom of the road is around 1 in 10...with the 10 getting the slower tech.

eircom will have upgraded around 15 out of their 1200 exchanges by the end of 2012 and in so doing they will still miss people by their own admission.

Most of those who will be upgraded will have fibre near the house, not in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, with the way the eircom debt mountain is, a better resourced company might be running the show by 2015.

eircom are Janus, telling their senior bondholders they will get their money back (they won't) while telling their customers that proper broadband is coming soon ( it ain't) :(

UPC will destroy them by end 2014 and UPC are, frankly, crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

I take it this will only benefit those who can currently get a decent speed on their copper lines ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

long_b wrote: »
    I take it this will only benefit those who can currently get a decent speed on their copper lines ?

Not really, as the length of the line will now be only from the local cabinet to your house, the cabinet will be fed by fibre. The speed will be determined by your distance from the local cabinet.So if you live a long distance from the local cabinet you won't get full speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

bealtine wrote: »
    Not really, as the length of the line will now be only from the local cabinet to your house, the cabinet will be fed by fibre. The speed will be determined by your distance from the local cabinet.So if you live a long distance from the local cabinet you won't get full speed.

UPC works in a similar way only the last bit is coaxial cable rather then copper?

If the backbone of Eircoms network was fiber it would be a vast improvement on what is there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The 10-15 exchanges that people have mentioned, are these the already rolled out exchanges in south co dublin and wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Psygnosis wrote: »
    How exactly are they doing it

I'll bet that's a question most of the engineering staff in eircom are asking themselves - hard to 'reach' 1m homes when you haven't got a washer.

Unless of course by 'reach' you mean that fibre will be somewhere in the same postcode as your house. In which case I'm sure they'll hit the targets :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

Anyone have an idea of the sort of costs involved in doing this for Eircom per cab/exchange, assuming that no civils are involved because ducting is in situ already.

Am I correct in assuming that fiber is point to point, that it's not possible to "tap into" an existing fibre "cable". In my case the trunk cable comes out to Rathangan from Kildare following the road, at its nearest it's less than a KM from the cabinet serving my house, which is almost 3Km from the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

How close would you need to be to a cabinet to receive decent speeds like 25meg? My line can only handle about 3 meg at the minute so If I could get anywhere near 20 I would be delighted. I'm in 1 of towns listed in the phase 1 rollout and there's no UPC available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There are quite a number of cabinets that are poorly placed and end up serving villages or areas which are nowhere near the cabinet itself. Rural towns and villages that might otherwise benefit from being connected to larger exchanges are going to lose out when the cabinet that serves them all is still 3km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

nilhg wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of the sort of costs involved in doing this for Eircom per cab/exchange, assuming that no civils are involved because ducting is in situ already.

Am I correct in assuming that fiber is point to point, that it's not possible to "tap into" an existing fibre "cable". In my case the trunk cable comes out to Rathangan from Kildare following the road, at its nearest it's less than a KM from the cabinet serving my house, which is almost 3Km from the exchange.

They announced they are spending 5 million on upgrading letterkenny but it depends how far they are going with the fibre. What does an eircom cabinet look like, how big is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Ranicand wrote: »
    UPC works in a similar way only the last bit is coaxial cable rather then copper?

If the backbone of Eircoms network was fiber it would be a vast improvement on what is there now.

coaxial cable is still made from copper though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

coaxial cable is still made from copper though.

co-ax is an unbalanced cable though with much more bandwidth capacity and lower attenuation than twisted pair...

nilhg wrote: »

i.e. you'll be less than a kilometer from the DSLAM (the DSLAM is currently in your exchange)
    iMuse wrote: »
    What does an eircom cabinet look like, how big is it?

bit of a crap shot

http://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.290065,-6.199379&spn=0.007209,0.021136&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.290132,-6.199446&panoid=kxsrKSDHZEEK-dW-g2mLDQ&cbp=12,253.34,,1,12.68

in around 2M long, 2 cubic meters I think it's volume is

Clonee, Mervue, Tallaght, Ballyboden, Douglas, Swords, Donabate, Dooradoyle, Letterkenny and Palmerstown are the next locations to be ran out ....

ducts going in around Tallaght & Ballyboden the last few weeks, Technicians being drafted in for the process, closing dates for applications is next week ...

Judging by how fast Sandyford and Priory Park were done, all going to plan with no snags, the majority of the Dublin locations could be up and running by the end of the summer the latest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

On top of the 10 listed exch area's, Clonee, Mervue, Tallaght, Ballyboden, Douglas, Swords, Donabate, Dooradoyle, Letterkenny and Palmerstown .another 45 exch area's have been added - the area's being done have yet to be announced.
    Clonee , Tallaght ,ballyboden ,Sword's ,Donabate and Letterkenny have started and will be up and running this summer.
    I don't know about the country location's or palmerstown , but I beleive they have started ,planning etc etc all done.
    I believe there will be a mix of FTTH + FTTC , across the area's , but will mainly be FTTC .
    Techician's are being asked this week if the wish to transfer to the new fibre build team's , that are being set up across the country in the next month.
    The cost is in the region of 300 million euro's and without doubt the staff side will deliver on or before time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sounds interesting. The amount of work involved for FTTC should be fairly small as others have pointed out. As long as there's room in the existing cabinets, as far as I can see it's little more than pulling the fibre along the already existing ducts owned by Eircom and relocating the DSLAMs from the exchange to the cabinets. Not as much work as, for example, UPC had to do to broadband enable Bray which involved a lot of digging for new ducting plus renewal of a lot of their existing coax cable.

New cabinets will be needed. Alongside the existing Green ones or in place of them.

-new cabs needed
    -ESB supply
    -subducting for fibre

some additional new cabs needed in the Dublin area (i.e. trenching in new cables)

then whatever civils are needed thereafter (wall/jointbox/groundwork rebuilds) ....

that's all in ideal circumstances.... then you have stuff like collapsed or full ducts, complaints from various sources etc... which all hold up the contractors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

There was work going on at the cabinet outside my flat in Ballyfermot (Palmerstown exchange) this morning. Maybe unrelated. Not that it matters for the foreseeable. Moved to UPC years ago.

arctan wrote: »

in around 2M long, 2 cubic meters I think it's volume is

Yep, that is one. It can do 192 lines max I think.

Eircoms top 67 Exchanges serve over 1m lines between them and have 10,000 lines each. Minimum.

If your exchange is not on this list then you may consider an upgrade is somewhat unlikely to say the least.

TLH Tallaght
    CRA Crown Alley
    BDT Blanchardstown
    DBN Dolphins Barn
    BBH Beggars Bush
    NMN North Main
    MER Merrion
    BLP Belcamp
    PRP Priory Park
    BLB Ballyboden
    DLA Dunlaoghaire
    SRD Swords
    WAL Walkinstown
    LMK Roches Street
    QKR Quaker Road
    FNG Finglas
    MVW Mervue
    DBC Drogheda
    RMS Rathmines
    PAL Palmerstown
    DDK Dundalk
    TRE Terenure
    DDM Dundrum
    KNY Kilkenny
    SAN Santry
    WTD Waterford Central
    BRI Bray
    NUT Nutley
    ENS Ennis
    CHF Churchfield
    CAB Cabra
    CRW Carlow
    SRL Summerhill
    WHI Whitehall
    NAS Naas
    ROC Rochestown
    LKY Letterkenny
    TWV Tralee
    MGR Mullingar
    SLA Shantalla
    WRD Wellington Road
    DGS Douglas
    CKC Cork Central
    AUV Navan
    STN Sutton
    DNU Droichead Nua ( Newbridge)
    DYX Dennehys Cross
    CLK Coolock
    CLM Clonmel
    LKD Dooradoyle
    CRL Crumlin
    CBR Castlebar
    CLT Clontarf
    CLD Nangor Road
    BNC Ballincollig
    LCN Lucan Ballydowd
    SKL Shankill
    PHB Phibsboro
    BRN Balbriggan
    CHD Caherdavin
    PGS Portlaoise
    TYC Tycor
    SHP Ship Street
    GAL Galway
    KLN Killarney
    SNH Sandyford Aeh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ozmo

Clonee, Mervue, Tallaght, Ballyboden, Douglas, Swords, Donabate, Dooradoyle, Letterkenny and Palmerstown are the next locations to be ran out ....

ducts going in around Tallaght & Ballyboden the last few weeks, Technicians being drafted in for the process, closing dates for applications is next week ...

Judging by how fast Sandyford and Priory Park were done, all going to plan with no snags, the majority of the Dublin locations could be up and running by the end of the summer the latest

What kind of speeds would you get from this, without having fibre to the door? Will it approach UPC speeds?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ozmo wrote: »
    What kind of speeds would you get from this, without having fibre to the door? Will it approach UPC speeds?

Here in Wexford speeds are 150Mbs in many areas and 50Mbs in others.Mate of mine was doing some work for Eircom and said takeup was low from the public in Wexford.They see €20 a month on something that barely works (3g dongles) as better value than superfast fibre optic broadband:rolleyes:

http://www.fibrepilot.ie/locations#wexford

https://www.magnet.ie/fibre/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

ozmo wrote: »

can't comment on the FTTH because there has been very little uptake, hence feedback about it .... but circa the 100 Mb/s wouldn't be far off ...

FTTC ... majority of places it'll be rolled out first, most premises will be less than a KM from the cab .... VDSL2+ starts losing a lot of signal after 1KM... within that KM speeds from circa 25 to 30 minimum, right up to 45 are the norm ...

again.. depending on your line conditions from the cab to your house too ...

10 Megs has been thrown around as the absolute minimum .... sounds ****e, but this is to people who might not have been able to access broadband at all due to line length or conditions ...

big plus also, over the likes of UPC is, when you're gettin your 25 or 30 or whatever, that's what you are getting, you woun't be contending with the rest of your estate, no fluctuating or drop off of speed during peak times, it's all your datastream...

tested a 25 Meg UPC line earlier and was only getting 12 on it, which fluctuates a lot .... again they'll have some similar problems as Eircom, long line lengths, bad lines etc... but once anyone has more than 6 - 8 Megs the majority seem happy with speeds cos it'll download your everyday stuff fairly sharpish unless you're using the likes of Netflix etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

tested a 25 Meg UPC line earlier and was only getting 12 on it, which fluctuates a lot .... again they'll have some similar problems as Eircom, long line lengths, bad lines etc...

Someone pointed out earlier the difference between coax and twisted pair. Have a read of it. Completely different technology AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I don't know about elsewhere, but a lot of Cork City areas seem to have had new cabinets put in in the last 10 years or so. There was a major tidy-up of their local network cabling in older parts of the city where it would have had a lot of overhead lines running back to exchanges in the past.

I would assume this might make life easier for them with a fibre rollout as the cables should be fairly structured and there was a lot of new ducting put in place relatively recently.

They eliminated a lot of the old overhead networks.

I think the same is true in a lot of parts of Dublin and I assume elsewhere too.

The list of exchanges there is pretty much all the pre-1970s major urban ones. Outside of that list of large exchanges, there are a lot or urban ones that are <10,000K lines, particularly in newer areas! These are scattered around Cork and Dublin etc. The technology radically changed in the 1980s and more so in the 1990s and 00s that allowed for small exchanges (RSUs) to be put in in newly developed areas. It was often more cost effective and practical than extending existing exchanges and kept the line lengths more reasonable.

There are plenty of <10,000K exchanges that would be perfectly suitable for fibre-to-home rollout too. Any urban area really should be fine. Even small towns are suitable (if there's sufficient fibre to the exchange and ducts and cabinets in the urban area)

The major ones listed there were mostly originally large urban exchanges that would have started out as Step-By-Step or Crossbar switches and were subsequently switched over to digital in the 1980s/90s. Hence, they have huge numbers of incoming lines.
    Many of these are pretty vast!

• Advertisement

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Someone pointed out earlier the difference between coax and twisted pair. Have a read of it. Completely different technology AFAIK.

different technologies along it ... the cables are the medium

UPC still have high contention on the lines, it's fine for the moment but in a few years without more speed upgrades you'll see drop offs and crap speeds

Advertisement