Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    What are you going for 150 300 or the big kahuna....

Well I asked for the 1GB and they didn't mention any other options(!) (this was on the phone, so looks like I got (one of) the trained rep(s) who knew what the 1GB offering was - that was more than the website knew too(!))

18 month contract, 4 @ EUR 30, rest @ EUR 87 plus Noonan's pension fund surcharge

Includes unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles too..

Hmmm might kill of sky for a while too ;)

Now to wait and see if I need to sacrifice chickens or the neighbours cat for it to all work...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

davork wrote: »
    EUR 87 plus Noonan's pension fund surcharge

What surcharge is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

/\/ollog wrote: »
    What surcharge is this?

I assume he means VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Deagol

I just got that email telling me I can get FTTH. According to the number checker I can't but I'm still going to ring them and act suitably outraged when they tell me they are spoofing me :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,526 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ED E wrote: »
    I assume he means VAT.

So if 23% VAT is added, this is the billed cost per month?

€107 per month regular price for 1Gb/s
    €92.25 - 300Mb/s
    €82.41 - 150Mb/s
    (€36.90 per month for the first 4 months in all cases).

According to pervious posts the phone service is bundled, is this the standard POTS service or is it via fibre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

eircom techies very busy splicing fibre for Long Lane area, including Meadowbank, along with Binnion Ave., Cnocanar, Errigal Rd., Sliabh Sneacht Rd and Close etc., etc., beside LKY1_005 - my cab. And am I getting FTTH? Not from bloody eircom, "because your not ducted".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

The Cush wrote: »
    So if 23% VAT is added, this is the billed cost per month?

€107 per month regular price for 1Gb/s
    €92.25 - 300Mb/s
    €82.41 - 150Mb/s
    (€36.90 per month for the first 4 months in all cases).

According to pervious posts the phone service is bundled, is this the standard POTS service or is it via fibre?

No, the 87euros includes the VAT for the 1Gb. I don't think there is any other charges afaik.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Not being smartarsed here but why on earth would you need 1 Gbit? My connection is 20 Mbit and everything on Netflix/Spotify etc. loads instantly.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Not being smartarsed here but why on earth would you need 1 Gbit? My connection is 20 Mbit and everything on Netflix/Spotify etc. loads instantly.

Try running a 4k netflix, plus downloading an update to Lotro, with a missus also running netflix and a daughter and all her friends streaming youtubes.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Deagol wrote: »
    Try running a 4k netflix, plus downloading an update to Lotro, with a missus also running netflix and a daughter and all her friends streaming youtubes.... :D

No problem to my 45meg connection either. If VF or Eircom offer me FTTH, would I take it?? Would a one legged duck swim in a circle? Of course I would!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Deagol wrote: »

Netflix 4k uses just 16Mb/s, so even a 100Mb/s FTTC connection would easily handle multiple 4k streams.

To be honest, there is very little or no consumer need for 1Gb/s

But that isn't really why FTTH is important, the reason it is so important is because it is capable of bringing a solid, dependable, high quality connection to even the most rural of homes. Something copper based tech can never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

spacetweek wrote: »

Because:

drevil.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

sirione wrote: »
    i got an email from eircom today saying my house was ready for the new ultrafast broadband, so i went on to eircom chat and the guy said it was a mistake, loads of people got that email he said. what the f**k is going on with eircom? im in drogheda by the way, do they have to run new cables to your house for this?

Yep - Shiny new fibre optic cable. :P

bk wrote: »
    Netflix 4k uses just 16Mb/s, so even a 100Mb/s FTTC connection would easily handle multiple 4k streams.

To be honest, there is very little or no consumer need for 1Gb/s

But that isn't really why FTTH is important, the reason it is so important is because it is capable of bringing a solid, dependable, high quality connection to even the most rural of homes. Something copper based tech can never do.

I get 70mbps currently and the above scenario is enough to cause stuttering on the streams. I forgot to mention as well that what if you have the Eircom IPTV service? It's one reason I haven't taken the TV service.

But you're for the most part correct, I just want fast for the sake of it :).

:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Just because we may not need Gigabit speeds now doesn't mean we may not need it in a few years time. It's good to be future proof and even if it turns out we don't need those speeds for years then just being able to download full Bluray rips and games etc. in <5mins makes it worth it in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

There is no guarantee that Eircom will keep the progress up. FTTH is ahead of schedule by years only because of SIRO. If SIRO backs off, expect Eircom to pull back, so you could argue.... Grab it while you can.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just because we may not need Gigabit speeds now doesn't mean we may not need it in a few years time. It's good to be future proof and even if it turns out we don't need those speeds for years then just being able to download full Bluray rips and games etc. in <5mins makes it worth it in the meantime.

But working in the IT industry and with a big industry in broadband I simply can't see any technology in the medium term that requires anything like 1Gb/s

Sure some revolutionary break through technology like VR or direct brain interfaces might come along and surprise us and require it, but nothing we have today or likely to have in the medium term will require.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted FTTH is been rolled out as it will be so beneficial to more rural people and it is definitely the technology of the next 100 years, I'm just not sure most people actually need it right now.

Obviously if I was living in a rural area getting just 5Mb/s, I'd be delighted to get FTTH. However I think I'd just recommend them to get the 150Mb/s service and save themselves €30 per month.

Likewise, if you were on 100Mb/s FTTC or even better UPC 240Mb/s I definitely wouldn't say it is worth paying almost double for the 1Gb/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/

New map showing 300,000 FTTH reach by street level is now available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

joe_99 wrote: »

where? I just see the existing map showing FTTC rollout.

FTTH was officially launched today - there's a fancy video on the website where yet again various Eircom suits reminisce about the days of dialup... we get it guys, dialup was sh!t, but that was nearly 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

loyatemu wrote: »
    where? I just see the existing map showing FTTC rollout.

Click on rural fibre routes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

jd wrote: »

ok - disappears when you try to zoom in though. also doesn't indicate where it will be available in urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

well at least the goverment now can take them of NBP but mean less money for rest of us unlucky people I just hope my lot doesn't get a wisp as the winner:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

loyatemu wrote: »
    ok - disappears when you try to zoom in though. also doesn't indicate where it will be available in urban areas.

It relates to the rural ftth that eircom announced as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

joe_99 wrote: »

My house is right at the end of a small blue line coming from a planned 2016 1Gb/s FTTH enabled exchange...here's hoping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Looks as if they are taking the fibre out along pre-existing routes. Some of the markers around Letterkenny extend out to 12 -13 Km from the main exchange in the town. It will take another 4 years to complete but the wait will be worth it for those in rural areas.. Coupled with Siro, blanket coverage seems to be the order of the day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Rural blue route near my Kerry house makes no sense. It goes up a 1km road with about 6 houses, and then stops a couple of hundred metres from another 6 houses. It's not a distance from exchange thing either.

I have to admit I'd prefer the relative certainty of the NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

ED E wrote: »
    I assume he means VAT.

VAT is added on top of the 87?

Jaaysus, and here I was with the impression all prices in the eurozone were legislated to include VAT in the display price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

/\/ollog wrote: »
    VAT is added on top of the 87?

Jaaysus, and here I was with the impression all prices in the eurozone were legislated to include VAT in the display price.

Thats my understanding too. Was that not clarified by another poster yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Ah jasus going by the blue line,it stops about a kilometer from my gaff.
    Well actually a kilometer one way and about 2 the other.
    FFS!!!!!

Maybe these are just rough(here's hoping)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

87 € is a bit pricey tbh

Advertisement