Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRSI Refund

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

arnold72 wrote: »
    sorry this is in reply to a question , mine was posted middle of november 2011

i sent mine in same time , phoned them up very nice to talk to , said huge backlog , they will prioritise if urgent , if not was told another 6 months at least , got cheque just there , not anything near what i expected as in small , i had good earnings but qualify under the medical card , not sure if its a refund just of prsi overpayed or health levy payed , is there any way of calculating exactly or close to what one would be owed , how is it done? love to know thanks. is it 2 % of employee prsi ? is it 2 % of total gross yearly pay , i know im over the 500 euro a week on all weeks anyway , please hepl lol

As far as I can remember it is only if you earned less than €26000 a year and in any one week earned more than €500 you are entitled to refund for the overpayment of that week. If you earned over €500 in all weeks then you would have earned more than the €26000, so would not be entitled? Just my (very) limited understanding of the process.

I sent mine in late Jan 2012 so will not be holding my breath. Have moved house since I sent in original application. I sent in another letter giving my forwarding address, but just to be sure I arranged with An Post to re-direct any mail for the next 6 months. I just hope they will have got it all sorted by early Dec this year. Either they send it to old address, or the new address before then and I'll be very happy. The funds could come in very handy lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If your P60 gross pay is less than €26,000 and you paid PRSI , send it in to claim .

Fluctuation above and below the €500 p/week is okay , as long as your total earnings is less than 26k.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 arnold72

If your P60 gross pay is less than €26,000 and you paid PRSI , send it in to claim .

Fluctuation above and below the €500 p/week is okay , as long as your total earnings is less than 26k.

thanks for replies , im entitled because i have the medical card so i fall undera different bracket ....( got it due to financial hardship )... anyway i got a response cheque on he way but only for an amopunt over 200 euro cannot get an answer anywhere if i should be getting all the weeks i payed over 500 which is all , it seems i just got payed for the few weeks i had the medical card at the end of the year , the income levy gave full years refund , cant get through on phone to ask trawled the net no one knows can anyone find out should i get refund of the full year ? the people under the 26,000 do ... thanks

If your P60 figure is in excess of €26,000 , you only receive the refund of health contribution for the duration of your medical card only .( not the full year )

This is on the basis that your employers did not know you had medical card and deducted full PRSI .

Make sure your employers are aware of your change in circumstances and they will amend payroll to deduct reduced amount due to full medical card

• Registered Users Posts: 42 arnold72

If your P60 figure is in excess of €26,000 , you only receive the refund of health contribution for the duration of your medical card only .( not the full year )

This is on the basis that your employers did not know you had medical card and deducted full PRSI .

Make sure your employers are aware of your change in circumstances and they will amend payroll to deduct reduced amount due to full medical card

thanks for that , that is what i was afraid of i only had it 6 wks to the end of the year , the employer knows and i pay reduced usc 4% it doesnt hit 7% a help in itself ....
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 lizzie051

Just wanted to share my good news...... I sent my claim on the 2nd of December... and received a cheque yesterday for 1700.00 euro happy days

lizzie051 wrote: »
    Just wanted to share my good news...... I sent my claim on the 2nd of December... and received a cheque yesterday for 1700.00 euro happy days

That's great news. Good that they are moving onto December and a nice amount you got back off them. I'm not exactly sure how much I'm due back, but I only sent my claim in in late January so will be a bit longer before I find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Got mine yesterday after sending in a letter about in in the first week of December. It's more than I expected. Very welcome at this time of the month :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

They're still only processing December refunds according to website, sent mine in start of Feb, it's an extremely slow process!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What do I have to do exactly to claim a refund?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    What do I have to do exactly to claim a refund?

It tells you in the 7th post in this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

Can anyone who has had a refund expand on how much they received and how much per A1 week?

I sent off my application in March and judging from comments it'll be Christmas before I get my refund :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

An Ri rua wrote: »
    No, not in this case. DSP are going through the claims in the order they got them and so there's few shortcuts.
    I actually used the 'complaint' form to the webmaster on the DSP site to advise them that it might ease the enquiries if they updated where they were at in the block of work. I got a phonecall back and the lady in question (Liz) was extremely nice and professional (as they are) and explained that unfortunately they are having to go through every single application and then send letters advising of entitlement. That unfortunately even includes the muppets (40-50%) who have clearly no basis for a refund; but still have to have letters sent to them.
    I advised them to update where they were at in their workload as even though they could still be on say October or November applications, they had last updated the website in mid-March; which confuses people.
    Considering that they could be getting a lot of stick from people for delays on legitimate applications (like many of yours and mine), I think frustration would be best vented to the Minister who perhaps could have letters to those 40-50% frivolous applications delayed until those who are genuinely eligible are dealt with. Or not to send letters at all. Why should stupid muppets who can't work out basic entitlements get priority over genuine claimants? The DSP staff are no doubt working very hard but their results are being diluted by muppets, including a few on Boards, who can't read basic prerequisites....

Not issuing letters to ineligible claims will not help the situation as the work will already have been carried out in determining if the claimant is eligible. Letters are not hand written in this day and age.

Their IT system should be able to identify eligible refunds and claims issued automatically if the minister so wished.

A situation where it takes a government department 6 months to process a claim in ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

It's a joke and they don't even answer their phones. I'm convinced there's only one person working on all the claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

It tells you in the 7th post in this thread...

So i just write a letter saying, hi I want you to review my prsi payments. Here is my number?

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    So i just write a letter saying, hi I want you to review my prsi payments. Here is my number?

You need to send them a photocopy of the relevant P60 along with the letter asking for a refund of PRSI
    If you had a medical card in relevant year , send them a copy of it as well

As far a I am aware you DO NOT need to send a copy of your P60 or medical card. I just checked this site: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/PRSI/Pages/PRSIIndex.aspx this morning and it was says you need to give name, PPSN and your address. They appear to have gone through Decembers claims fairly fast because they are now saying (since 5/7/12) that they are currently processing claims received in Jan 2012.

Hoping to here from them in the next month or so considering I but the claim in end of Jan. Bring on the much needed funds!!! I know I'm entitled to something, just can't remember how much. Anything would be good!!

According to this info page , you should send P60 :
    claims for refunds should be made in writing and a copy of the P60 for the previous tax year should be sent to:
    PRSI Refunds Section,
    Department of Social Protection,

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/prsi_refunds.aspx

It may not be necessary to send in your P60 or medical card , but I would personally recommend it , to ensure there is no reason not to give maximum refund .

It may not be necessary to send in your P60 or medical card , but I would personally recommend it , to ensure there is no reason not to give maximum refund .

It's definitely not necessary cos the Refunds section will have all your details on the computer. But I get what you are saying about be safer than sorry. Hoping my claim goes through without issue, got it into them when all the hulla-ballu was in d'media. Put PPSN, Address and Name on the letter and said to them the amount of refund I thought I was due.

I have since moved house and also wrote a letter to them that I have changed address and have also changed my address with the Revenue. Hoping the 'systems' talk to each other and the refund makes it's way the new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

lang wrote: »

It's definitely not necessary cos the Refunds section will have all your details on the computer. But I get what you are saying about be safer than sorry.

And how can you be sure they have your P60 details on record? They don't magically appear on their system. First the employer has to send in their P35 to revenue, secondly your correct details have to be on it, and thirdly their system has to communicate correctly with the DSP one...

I'd sooner send in my P60 than hope all of the above apply and find out 5/6mths later that they need it.

• Advertisement

Itchianus wrote: »
    And how can you be sure they have your P60 details on record? They don't magically appear on their system. First the employer has to send in their P35 to revenue, secondly your correct details have to be on it, and thirdly their system has to communicate correctly with the DSP one...

I'd sooner send in my P60 than hope all of the above apply and find out 5/6mths later that they need it.

Whatever you like to do is fine. I was just pointing out that it was not totally necessary to send your P60/Medical Card. If you feel more at ease with sending them in along with your other details then by all means do so. Considering the Dept of Social Protection have records on how many Stamps (and in what Class of PRSI you paid in a given period) I'm sure (although have no firm evidence) they can do the sums.

What you are doing by sending in P60/Medical Card is making it that bit easier for the person in Refunds Section to do the calculation, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

lang wrote: »
    Considering the Dept of Social Protection have records on how many Stamps (and in what Class of PRSI you paid in a given period) I'm sure (although have no firm evidence) they can do the sums.

What you are doing by sending in P60/Medical Card is making it that bit easier for the person in Refunds Section to do the calculation, etc.

And how do they have the details of PRSI class and no. of contributions in a period? From the P35L details provided by the employer.

So unless you have seen the P35 submitted by your employer, and know for a fact that the details agree with the P60 they gave you, it's foolhardy not to submit the P60 with your claim.

Lets have a look at one of the refund situations .

Where the employee has earned more than €26,000 and had a medical card for part or full of the relevant tax year .

Does anyone seriously believe that the HSE ( who issued the medical card ) informs the DSP ( who control the PRSI ) and and that either inform the employer ( who deducts the PRSI.

If all Departments - HSE , DSP , Revenue , commumicated with each other , there may be no need for so many refunds/ overpayments .

It is the responsibility of the Employer to establish if the employee has a medical card ( From www.welfare.ie )

I reckon about 80% of employers do not follow this rule .
    - Medical card holders, people aged 70 years and over, recipients of a Widow’s or Widower’s Pension from the Department of Social and Family Affairs, a One-Parent Family Payment, a Deserted Wife’s Benefit/Allowance and recipients of a Widow’s or Widower’s Pension acquired under the social security legislation of a country covered by EC Regulations do not have to pay the Health Contribution - even if their pay is more than €500 per week.

- It is the employer’s responsibility to establish if employees fall into any of the above categories

In the case of a married couple where the wife earns less than €500 per week and the husband earns more, is the wife eligible to claim a refund?

PRSI refunds are based on stand-alone P60's and not dual incomes .

Check back through the thread and you will see the criteria.

Based on what you say , your wife may be entitled to a PRSI refund , if she paid PRSI and earned less than €26,000 .

Send P60 to address provided earlier .

... it's foolhardy not to submit the P60 with your claim.

So I may be foolhardy then...aw well :D. I certainly have more pressing matters to concern myself with over the coming weeks/months than worry about whether someone is efficient and competent in their job.

I'm not overly concerned as the letter is in with them now and all I have to do is wait. If, according to their records, I am due no refund (which I know I am due), then I can always re-apply and submit the relevant P60's.

Just speaking to my other half (who works in HR Administration and has had to deal with such claims):

If you download the form from the website and submit it to the Dept, the Dept then forward the forms to your employer for them to fill out relevant information.

If you merely send in a letter, the Dept write a standard letter to your employer asking them to verify the P35 details submitted on your behalf.

So while the different Deptartments may not speak to each other, the Dept of Social Protection speaks to your employer. I would be confident enough that my employer has the correct details as I know the person who looks after Payroll keeps meticulous records on all the worforces' behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 truckerswife

hi just wondering has anyone who sent in claim in jan got a refund yet????

hi just wondering has anyone who sent in claim in jan got a refund yet????

Hey,

I sent mine in end of January (probably actually reached their offices very early Feb) and no word as of yet. I'm hoping in the coming weeks that there will be something in the post to me. I'll keep y'all posted as and when I hear anything.

Thanks Lang I sent mine early Feb, see they are working on Jan but from previous post it looks as if it took from 23rd of may to the 5th of July to do Dec, hols mid of Aug so be great to have it, was on maternity leave one of the yrs

• Advertisement

Hi just wondering has any one tried redoak, to claim there prsi refunds??? If so was it any way quick, waithing since beginning of Feb for mine

Advertisement