Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRSI Refund

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Evelynmc

If i want them to look at my contributions for the last 4 years do i just have to state my pps d.o.b and name n that, then say i would like you to review my contributions from 20XX-2011 ? Thats all i have to say? bit silly but i rang them before and this ignorant girl who answered said "Well ya have ta have a reason for wanting to claim it" lol... ugh hate those kinda ppl.. but seriously thats all i have to say and post it up to them?

Also I got payed monthly in one of my jobs, does that affect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

I was told about this by girls from soccer and also girls in work.
    A few here in work got their refunds in Nov and they ranged from €150 - €1,000 but they sent theirs back in August maybe
    I sent my end Oct / mid Nov and I have heard nothing yet but a girl that mailed it off 2 weeks before me got her refund week before Xmas so fingers crossed that they just took a break for Xmas/New Year and that mine is still there somewhere.
    I phoned the line for PRSI Refund and its just an automated system saying they cannot take the call but if enquirying about the refund that it has to be made in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 glasses16

Following up the PRSI topic, I worked on a CE Scheme from 2007-2010, earned over €352 so paid PRSI every week, just wanted to know if I paid the Health Levy part of PRSI as I have a Medical Card. Just wondering would I be eligible for a refund, wishful thinking maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

glasses16 wrote: »
    Following up the PRSI topic, I worked on a CE Scheme from 2007-2010, earned over €352 so paid PRSI every week, just wanted to know if I paid the Health Levy part of PRSI as I have a Medical Card. Just wondering would I be eligible for a refund, wishful thinking maybe!

I don't think you earned enough to qualify for a refund, even though you have a medical card (as you need to have been earning over €500pw to be paying A1 ), but you should do a quick check using these calculators, then submit a form if it looks likely.
    http://www.redoaktaxrefunds.ie/prsi-refund-calculator-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Can anyone tell me if gross income (for the purpose of this health levy refund) is income before deductions for pension.
    Or is it income as it appears on your P60 and P45.

Also, after retirement, is occupational pension counted as income.
    I wouldn't have thought so as no PRSI comes off an occupational pension.

If anyone can answer this, i'd be very grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lush Puppy

Great advice here :)

So I filled out my MED 1 forms for years 2009 & 2010 about a month ago and yesterday I posted off my PRSI refund letter to the DSP. Today I received a sum of money into my bank account from The Collector General. I know its not the PRSI refund as I'd only posted that yesterday but I was wondering are MED1 refunds and PRSI refunds lumped together or is the payment I received today solely Health expenses? (I incurred an awful lot of health expense last 4 years)

Also! While I have ye :D
    I was on a €24,000 salary for last 3 years so according to www.redoaktaxrefunds.ie I am due a PRSI refund of a minimum of €1000+ for 2010 alone, this seems a little sensationalist no?

I'm not very good with tax etc but my naive understanding is all these taxback.com's etc just seem to make you do all the collecting and correlating of info to then send it in under their supervision and consequently claim money off you as a service expense? Is it me or is that daft? You've already done the work so you may as well file it yourself no? I've claimed rent, med 1 and sent off for Prsi just by looking at what info they asked me to collect for them. Or am I being too broad?

Lastly! :P on www.redoaktaxrefunds.ie they have a prsi refund calculator and a tax refund calculator. Pardon my ignorance but whats the difference? :o

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Lush Puppy wrote: »
    Great advice here :)

So I filled out my MED 1 forms for years 2009 & 2010 about a month ago and yesterday I posted off my PRSI refund letter to the DSP. Today I received a sum of money into my bank account from The Collector General. I know its not the PRSI refund as I'd only posted that yesterday but I was wondering are MED1 refunds and PRSI refunds lumped together or is the payment I received today solely Health expenses? (I incurred an awful lot of health expense last 4 years)

Also! While I have ye :D
    I was on a €24,000 salary for last 3 years so according to www.redoaktaxrefunds.ie I am due a PRSI refund of a minimum of €1000+ for 2010 alone, this seems a little sensationalist no?

I'm not very good with tax etc but my naive understanding is all these taxback.com's etc just seem to make you do all the collecting and correlating of info to then send it in under their supervision and consequently claim money off you as a service expense? Is it me or is that daft? You've already done the work so you may as well file it yourself no? I've claimed rent, med 1 and sent off for Prsi just by looking at what info they asked me to collect for them. Or am I being too broad?

Lastly! :P on www.redoaktaxrefunds.ie they have a prsi refund calculator and a tax refund calculator. Pardon my ignorance but whats the difference? :o

Many thanks!

PRSI is not tax. It is dealt with by the DSP. The med 1 form you filled out was for tax relief on your health expenses from Revenue, a separate entity from the DSP. The refund paid to you by the CGs is in relation to your health expenses.

Regarding using an accountant or company like taxback or Redoak for basic PAYE tax issues, no one needs to pay for this. If you can post in an internet forum you can use Revenues free online service to manage your own PAYE claims or reviews. There are videos to show you what to do and everything is colour coded with help buttons in English.

The below links should assist you further.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/online/paye-anytime.html

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/faqs/how-do-i-work-out-my-tax.html

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it11.html

Can't help you with PRSI side of things unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

@Lush Puppy.
    You may be due a USC refund if you earned under 26k. Your prsi refund will take at least 3 months. For the USC refund you need to ring or email your local tax office.
    Have a look at this thread first though

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056530712

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lush Puppy

I'd no intention of using taxback sites, I was just inferring that they seemed to be a lazy cop out way of doing it when you can just do the research yourself and be proactive about it. Thankfully my "knowledge of posting in internet forums" has helped me do as such and claim back a substantial amount of money so far.

Thanks for the replies and links, very helpful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Lush Puppy wrote: »
    I'd no intention of using taxback sites, I was just inferring that they seemed to be a lazy cop out way of doing it when you can just do the research yourself and be proactive about it. Thankfully my "knowledge of posting in internet forums" has helped me do as such and claim back a substantial amount of money so far.

Thanks for the replies and links, very helpful! :)

Wish I could link that reply to the Revenue website. It would make life a lot easier if more people took that approach to their tax affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭assasins creed

so its taking them 3 months to process prsi refunds is that correct ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

It can depend, mine was sent in about 7 months ago, they didn't have any details on me for the years I was due a refund, the years I knew I wasn't due anything they had details for.

I got all the details for each year and each company during the years, I got a letter this week to say im owed two cheques for several hundred.

Im a contractor so mine would be more work to balance compared to a person working in a single company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Munsterlad2012

bfocusd wrote: »

It can depend, mine was sent in about 7 months ago, they didn't have any details on me for the years I was due a refund, the years I knew I wasn't due anything they had details for.

I got all the details for each year and each company during the years, I got a letter this week to say im owed two cheques for several hundred.

Im a contractor so mine would be more work to balance compared to a person working in a single company.
    Did anyone send in an application for refund on the 2nd week of November gone that has heard something back. I send in a letter on the 17th of November and now they will not answer their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Did anyone send in an application for refund on the 2nd week of November gone that has heard something back. I send in a letter on the 17th of November and now they will not answer their phones.

I sent mine around that time and have not heard nothing yet. Some friends sent it in around the same time too and they haven't heard back either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Munsterlad2012

BohsCeltic wrote: »

I sent mine around that time and have not heard nothing yet. Some friends sent it in around the same time too and they haven't heard back either.
    I rang them two weeks ago (when they were answering the phones) and they said they were on the first week of November applications. Surely they most be on the 2nd week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

I got a cheque for €780 this morning,and i sent off my letter at the end of October,so be ready to wait if you are entitled to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

Does anyone know how much was overpaid for each A1 week?

Was it €10/€20 etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

This is going to sound ridiculous, but I thought this only came out in january? And that it would take 3-4 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

booboo88 wrote: »
    This is going to sound ridiculous, but I thought this only came out in january? And that it would take 3-4 weeks?

It was only reported in the media in January,and its more like 3-4 months not weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Kamjana wrote: »
    It was only reported in the media in January,and its more like 3-4 months not weeks.

Well feck em anyway :(
    Im just wondering what on earth takes so long?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Weight

it is not advertised but anyone with a full medical card or an eu widows pension is entitled to a health levy refund regardless of income

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

booboo88 wrote: »
    Well feck em anyway :(
    Im just wondering what on earth takes so long?

Most likely because thousands of EJITS are applying who are not entitled to anything. If they had even basic competence in money matters and / or citizenship, they would know that they are entitled to nothing. The rules are very simple on this one; for most cases. 17,000 out of 44,000 cases were reported as not entitled to anything (frivolous). That's partly why its taking so long to get your hands on the money you're entitled to (your money).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭busymom31

i applied in nov as we had a medical card and werent on the right class

anyone that applied in nov hear anything yet.

tried to ring but they must be up to their eyes they arent answering the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Hi all I wanted to claim my tax back from the revenue so i sent my P21 in.

A few days ago they sent me a cheque for my USC payment, how is this so ?

Does it mean that I cant claim my PRSI back ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Dagged

Hi all,

Just want to ask if I need to send copy of P60 also or simple letter is enough?

Thanks in advance :)

To Dagged: I'd say it would be no harm to send in your P60 if you have it to hand, but others have said that writing them a letter with your PPS No. etc. would suffice.

To Freezw4real: Revenue do not deal with PRSI refunds, you need to apply to
    PRSI Refunds Section, Dept. of Social & Family Affairs, Oisin House, Pearse Street, Dublin 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Dagged

Thanks

One more question:

Does claim effect your credit ability? I mean if you would like to take lone from bank in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tatjana78

Weight wrote: »
    it is not advertised but anyone with a full medical card or an eu widows pension is entitled to a health levy refund regardless of income

I maybe mistaken but Medical card holders pay the Universal Social Charge on their income (except for social welfare and HSE payments), but at a maximum rate of 4%. The only exemption is for people earning less than €10,036 per annum. Please correct me on this one if I am wrong.

Does anybody know if you would have paid the health contribution if you worked on a CE scheme and earned over €352. I was going to write to them about this but dont want to bother them if it was such a thing as I didnt pay it. I have a medical card a long time now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I think I am eligible for this refund. Is it simply just a matter of sending them a letter asking them to check or do I need to fill out a form?

Advertisement