Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRSI Refund

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Hi, just got my prsi refund this morning, very substantial amount so it is very welcome indeed. Just wanted to thank posters on boards.ie as I would never have known about this issue if I hadn't been browsing different forums here. Can't remember which thread it was originally so I can't directly thank op. Anyway, thanks everyone, it's very much appreciated.

I applied on 19th January, received cheque today, 20th July. Very long wait, I had begun to think nothing would come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 truckerswife

hi ncur,

its a long time,i posted mine 1st wk in feb,so hopefully only a few wks left:) was on maternity leave in 2009 and part time for 2010 so expecting a refund,

do you mind me asking did you get much???

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

ncur wrote: »
    I applied on 19th January, received cheque today, 20th July. Very long wait, I had begun to think nothing would come of it.

Ok, so by doing some of the maths I should get mine in the next few weeks. Sent it in late Jan or early Feb so looking good. Would be great to get it before the BH weekend but don't think i'll be that quick. Just some time in August would be great.

Glad you got it, btw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Hi truckerswife and lang, appreciate the good wishes, I hope you both get yours too!

I got close to €1100 back in total for 2008, 2009 and 2010. Slightly irked that as a low income earner, who has been increasingly penalised disproportionally in tax matters, that the government took more than they should and made no effort to reimburse me, I had to chase them for money that was mine.

I know that this is the scenario for claiming tax back on general expenses such as refuse or medical or whatever, but if I don't claim that back that's my own hard luck, this prsi refund is not quite in the same classification I think.

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

There are many many employees due this refund , but unaware so.

The Government know this too and have acknowledged it in the past .

They are attempting to uncomplicate the current set-up , by making USC cumulative and under the Revenue Dept instead of DSP.

• Advertisement

ncur wrote: »
    Hi truckerswife and lang, appreciate the good wishes, I hope you both get yours too!

I got close to €1100 back in total for 2008, 2009 and 2010. Slightly irked that as a low income earner, who has been increasingly penalised disproportionally in tax matters, that the government took more than they should and made no effort to reimburse me, I had to chase them for money that was mine.

I know that this is the scenario for claiming tax back on general expenses such as refuse or medical or whatever, but if I don't claim that back that's my own hard luck, this prsi refund is not quite in the same classification I think.

Good luck everyone!

I was on maternity leave in 2007also and because was not aware of refunds due till jan 2012 have lost out on 2007:mad:

as of the 25.07.12 they are now working on prsi refunds for feb so fingers crossed not long left

as of the 25.07.12 they are now working on prsi refunds for feb so fingers crossed not long left

That's good to know. Hoping that, because I actually posted mine late Jan (or early Feb), the refund due will arrive here in the next week. Will be much welcome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Just for the info of others, I posted off my claim the day after it was all over the news (late January / early February I think) and I got my cheque today :D

Does anyone know how the refund is calculated? Is it your full PRSI that's refunded or the Income levy that's refunded. I have all my payslips from 2010 but none of the totals seem to add up :confused: Just want to make sure I got what I was entitled to.

havent a clue but there is a calculator with red ok on line and you put in how much you earned and how many wks ya worked not sure if its correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Liz23

Hi All,

I sent off my application, a cover letter and my p60 at the end of January, heard back today, i need to send in more stuff from my employer. I was on mat leave until august of 2010, and paid just under 400 euro in prsi. Dose anybody know what this is about. I would have thought it was straight forward. I feel awkward going back to my employer about something from 2 years ago!!

Liz23 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I sent off my application, a cover letter and my p60 at the end of January, heard back today, i need to send in more stuff from my employer. I was on mat leave until august of 2010, and paid just under 400 euro in prsi. Dose anybody know what this is about. I would have thought it was straight forward. I feel awkward going back to my employer about something from 2 years ago!!

I really hope they don't need more information from me was on maternity leave from july 09 to jan 2010, have been waiting since beginning of feb for my refund:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Liz23 wrote: »
    Hi All,

It should be straight-forward .- If you worked 6 months ( Jan-Feb and Sept-Dec ) and you were on ML for 6 months .

Your earnings need to be below €26,000 and fluctuate above and below €500 pw.

Maybe your P60 did not show you starting or finishing on an A1 contribution.

They are now working on February 2012 .....see here :
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/PRSI/Pages/PRSIIndex.aspx

Well, well, well. I went to work yesterday and returned this morning (Shift work, not time travel) and what did i find on my kitchen table waiting for me......?????.....Yes, you guessed it....a Cheque from the DSP.

So to give some timeframe for those wondering:

Original letter sent: last few days in Jan or first few days in Feb.
    Cheque dated: 31/07/2012
    For those of you wondering it was for €359.94 which was a refund for 2010.
    There was no refund for either 2008 or 2009 as I earned over the limit.

The money is much appreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rockchickk

posted my letter end of january, start of Febuary, have heard nothing, rang phone number, no one picking up.

rockchickk wrote: »
    posted my letter end of january, start of Febuary, have heard nothing, rang phone number, no one picking up.

its so frustrating waiting 6 months for a refund, wouldn't think if it was the other way a round it would be as slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rockchickk

just hope i get letter soon letting me know either way sick of waiting.

same as that sick waiting on the famous check, checked with my hr and i was under for 2yrs so def due something, hols around the corner and be great bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

How do you not know if your due a refund?

From the criteria it pretty straight forward. Your P60 should tell you too.

I sent away my application at the end of February and still waiting.

The phone number is useless they never answer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

faoile@n wrote: »

How do you not know if your due a refund?

From the criteria it pretty straight forward. Your P60 should tell you too.

I sent away my application at the end of February and still waiting.

The phone number is useless they never answer :rolleyes:

And why can't they answer the phone?

Because they're wading through a mountain of correspondence from people who aren't entitled to any refund and couldn't be bothered to figure it out for themselves, or send in all the relevant info... all of whom have to be duly processed and responded to.

So if you know you are due a refund and you're frustrated waiting, thank all the bogeys who have clogged up the system! I knew about this years ago, submitted a claim for 2009 in early 2010, and received my refund within a few weeks, so it wasn't always so slow.

• Advertisement

Because they're wading through a mountain of correspondence from people who aren't entitled to any refund and couldn't be bothered to figure it out for themselves, or send in all the relevant info... all of whom have to be duly processed and responded to.

So if you know you are due a refund and you're frustrated waiting, thank all the bogeys who have clogged up the system! I knew about this years ago, submitted a claim for 2009 in early 2010, and received my refund within a few weeks, so it wasn't always so slow.

Exactly I know loads who sent of letter and then checked p60,people just heard refund and taught great :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Liz23

Quick question. I sent in my application at the end of January. I know I'm entitled to a refund as I was on maternity leave in 2010. I sent it a copy of my P60 with my cover letter at the end of January. I received a letter 3 weeks ago asking for a breakdown of my wages and Prsi. I sent this on straight away. Still haven't heard anything back. Will I have to wait another 6 months to receive MY money???

That is exactly what I was implying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

My wife and myself sent letters end of January 2012. I've just received a cheque on the post from the DSP. I presume it's my refund. Firstly, and after a couple of months, we thought we weren't going to get anything back, then forgot about it. So don't despair yet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Got the letter on the post this morning explaining that I will receive a cheque with my refund soon... :rolleyes: Nevermind, I got my refund...

inigo wrote: »
    Got the letter on the post this morning explaining that I will receive a cheque with my refund soon... :rolleyes: Nevermind, I got my refund...

They did the same for me.....letter and Cheque arrived on the same day. Letter must be issued in one office and the Cheque in another, but on the same day....efficiency!!! :P Glad you got your refund!! Enjoy. I havent actually spent mine yet, but have a few things that it could go towards....hhmmmmm....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dellas84

Will you confirm whether 2010 was the last year of PRSI refund ?

I'm not sure where I had that info from, anyway as far as I am aware you can claim 4 years back but only up to the end of 2010.

Obviously you apply now but only for years 2008 - 2010.
    I would aprreciate if you could provide me with link to site with that information.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

dellas84 wrote: »
    Will you confirm whether 2010 was the last year of PRSI refund ?

I'm not sure where I had that info from, anyway as far as I am aware you can claim 4 years back but only up to the end of 2010.

Obviously you apply now but only for years 2008 - 2010.
    I would aprreciate if you could provide me with link to site with that information.

Thanks in advance

It's easily available if you google.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Press/PressReleases/2012/Pages/pr010212.aspx

There appears to be very little activity of late they're still processing February claims according to the voicemail and website.

Do they do any work during the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

I wrote in in February, got reply plus cheque for 900ish approx 3 weeks ago representing one year where I worked abroad for a large chunk of the year. Thanks to those on boards who brought this issue to my attention. Am planning a modest fiscal stimulus to help revive domestic demand as a result. Feels like free money!

Advertisement