Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRSI Refund

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

I phoned the department to see where my application is as I'd sent it in over 6 months ago (start of March) only to be told that they are now processing claims as of the 12th of February.

So in the space of a month and a half they have processed 13 days claims.

They must zero work during the summer months.

I was told it would take at least another 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

faoile@n wrote: »
    I phoned the department to see where my application is as I'd sent it in over 6 months ago (start of March) only to be told that they are now processing claims as of the 12th of February.

So in the space of a month and a half they have processed 13 days claims.

They must zero work during the summer months.

I was told it would take at least another 2 months.

Tbh, I'd forget about it and just wait on the cheques to arrive. It took me nearly seven months to get my refund. Was worth the wait tho in the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

do they send you a letter back even if you are not entitled to a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Got a letter today saying i was getting 243 for 2010. I was entitled to money back for 2008 I thought, as I earned over 500 per week for jan - end of april, and then left to go travelling, didn't earn over 25K for the year.

Anybody else find mistakes in theirs?

EDIT: Turns out my brother mis read the letter! Money I got was for 2008. Had my hopes up for getting more after on friend got €800+ and another €900! €243 better than nothing I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 F09torres

Do you mind me asking when you applied for this?
    I applied for it feb 22nd, and I'm well fed up of waiting for a response!
    Funnily enough my case is very similar to yours, I went travelling at the start of may in 08'
    Still I'd be happy with €240, better than nothing sure!

• Advertisement

F09torres wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking when you applied for this?
    I applied for it feb 22nd, and I'm well fed up of waiting for a response!
    Funnily enough my case is very similar to yours, I went travelling at the start of may in 08'
    Still I'd be happy with €240, better than nothing sure!

yeah think I was just getting greedy hearing how much other people were getting! I applied first week in Feb as far as I recall, definitely before the 10th as far as I remember so I'd say you'll be waiting another two weeks... it's one of those things that you wish you'd forgotten about instead of thinking about it everyday! Just got letter today, cheque is yet to arrive!

Cheers for getting back to me.
    Ya, il be waiting another while I'd say. I could do with it now but nothing I can do except wait I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

How come its taking so long for some people? I called into my local tax office a couple of weeks ago with my P60 for last year, and the cert to show what levy I paid. Could only find the cert for 2010 but it was enough for them, and got 2 cheques in the post a week later. One for 2010, and one for 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

irish-stew wrote: »
    How come its taking so long for some people? I called into my local tax office a couple of weeks ago with my P60 for last year, and the cert to show what levy I paid. Could only find the cert for 2010 but it was enough for them, and got 2 cheques in the post a week later. One for 2010, and one for 2011.

Because its a PRSI refund dealt with by the DSP not Revenue. They are two different departments so would have different ways of allocating resources to meet demands for particular items of work.

The refund you are talking about above, was the short lived income levy and the USC which is dealt with by Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

they are still dealing with claims from February. there's only a few of them dealing with it and the fact that everybody in the country is applying whether they meet the criteria or not doesn't help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 bigburd

BhoyRayzor, just curious how do you know they are working on Feb still?

I've tried ringing them numerous times but there is just a message saying they cannot take the call.

I sent an application in for 2008 and 2010 in Aug/Sept last year, they returned it telling me to follow up with my employer for 2010 but they refunded me for 2008.

My employer wrote to them weeks ago in relation to the 2010 claim as it has nothing to do with them but I haven't heard anything since. I assume I'll be waiting about 6 months :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lindsay173

sent my application 17th of Feb and got the payment today:)

Did anybody else have a long time to wait before confirmation that the cheque was on the way (detailing the amounts) and getting the cheque?

Mine's been over a week and most people seem to get them on the same day or the next day.....

Got the letter this morning, hoping the cheque will follow shortly.
    How long did others have to wait on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Did anybody else have a long time to wait before confirmation that the cheque was on the way (detailing the amounts) and getting the cheque?

Mine's been over a week and most people seem to get them on the same day or the next day.....

one day gap

F09torres wrote: »
    Got the letter this morning, hoping the cheque will follow shortly.
    How long did others have to wait on this thread?

THey seem to be slower at giving out the cheques! they used to arrive on the same/or next day for what I can tell... still no sign of mine. One of the lads in work is in the same boat, got the letter but no cheque so I'm not overly worried.. but would prefer to have it in hand!

You'd think when it takes them 7 months to respond that their correspondence would be the end of it.
    Could do with the money now having gotten my letter last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

What's the situation if they don't get around to my letter until 2013, will I lose out on a year? I didn't send the letter by registered post or anything, nor did I get an acknowledgement of receipt - how can I be sure I don't lose out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

snappieT wrote: »
    What's the situation if they don't get around to my letter until 2013, will I lose out on a year? I didn't send the letter by registered post or anything, nor did I get an acknowledgement of receipt - how can I be sure I don't lose out?

It will have been stamped the date it was received.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LouC15

How long do you normally have to wait for the cheque to be issued? I got a letter from them 2 weeks ago, telling me I was entitled to a refund and that a cheque would be issued shortly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 joushikijin

inigo wrote: »
    My wife and myself sent letters end of January 2012. I've just received a cheque on the post from the DSP. I presume it's my refund. Firstly, and after a couple of months, we thought we weren't going to get anything back, then forgot about it. So don't despair yet! ;)

Did your wife got her refund yet? My wife and myself sent the letters at the same day and she got her letter & cheque six months ago but I haven't received anything so far. :mad:

I got my cheque thorough yesterday morning, about a week after getting notification from dept of soc protection. Hope that helps people waiting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭~Trixiebelle~

My partner got his today too. He got his letter a month before the cheque issued so worry not if the cheque doesn't come within a few days!

Yeah I got mine yesterday after getting the letter 17/09 so three weeks... they must be back to issuing cheques again this week as a couple of the lads in work got them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Sent my letter away 15 weeks ago...Heard nothing yet? When should I be hearing something(on average)

Sent my letter away 15 weeks ago...Heard nothing yet? When should I be hearing something(on average)

My bf sent his in Jan/Feb so it's a fair wait!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

do they send you a letter to let you know their decision, whether you are entitled to a refund or if you are not entitled to anything? I was borderline just over the 26,000.

daver123 wrote: »
    do they send you a letter to let you know their decision, whether you are entitled to a refund or if you are not entitled to anything? I was borderline just over the 26,000.

Hmmm... As far as I'm aware 26k is the cut off so anything above it does not warrant a refund.

Still worth putting in though.... I've been entitled as has my bf so the only letters we received was just to notify an amount and that a cheque would issue shortly. Took about 8 months to get the letter mind so patience is required unfortunately!

I was waiting over 30 weeks anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

daver123 wrote: »

If you had a medical card in relevant year and earned over 26k , you have a claim , ( if your employer did not know you had a MC )

Advertisement