Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USC Query

Options
  • 26-01-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

I earned €9,450 last year as I was only employed for a few months. I paid €386.40 in USC which is 4%.

My understanding of the 2011 USC rates is that under €4,000 you didn't have to pay, and under €10,000 you paid 2%.

The "lovely" lady I was "talking" to today from the revenue does not agree with me. She reckons that under €4,000 you had to pay 2% and under €10,000 you had to pay 4% and therefore I am not entitled to a refund.

I even asked her would she mind checking those figures on the computer because they didn't sound right, and she told me, way too quickly, that the computer agreed with her. Which of us is right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I earned €9,450 last year as I was only employed for a few months. I paid €386.40 in USC which is 4%.

My understanding of the 2011 USC rates is that under €4,000 you didn't have to pay, and under €10,000 you paid 2%.

The "lovely" lady I was "talking" to today from the revenue does not agree with me. She reckons that under €4,000 you had to pay 2% and under €10,000 you had to pay 4% and therefore I am not entitled to a refund.

I even asked her would she mind checking those figures on the computer because they didn't sound right, and she told me, way too quickly, that the computer agreed with her. Which of us is right?

Not sure where she is getting her figures unless there is another income on file for you for 2011. See the link below. It's 2% up to 10036 euro.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/usc/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

There was an exemption in place in 2011, amounting to €4004.00, so anyone earning below this was not liable to the income levy. She's giving you the wrong info there, sounds like she's using the current year figures (€10,036 @2%)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 krusty_10

Looks like you should be due a refund alright. Rate was 2% of all your income up to 10036. Total earnings under 4004 was USC exempt.
    We are assuming as already mentioned where your total income for the year was only 9,450 in all employments in 2011.
    You paid the higher rates because you only worked a few months, breaching the monthly/weekly ceilings that of the 10K equivalent.
    I would get back on to Revenue.
    So if you earned more that 4004 in 2011.
    2% - on the first €10,036
    4% - on the next €5,980
    7% - on the balance

• Registered Users Posts: 59,569 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

MOD SNIP

One week ban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I am in a similar situation. I was made redundant in June so it looks like they have charged me rates for the whole year and that i have overpaid. I emailed my local revenue office last week but have not heard back yet. There is no information on revenue.ie on how to apply for a refund. Citizens information site does mention refunds but apparently there is no system in place yet. I can view my details on paye online but cannot find anywhere to make a claim.

It's ridiculous that we are never told about anything like this. I tried to ring their offices but the wait time was over 10 mins so that would have eaten up my phone credit.

• Advertisement

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I am in a similar situation. I was made redundant in June so it looks like they have charged me rates for the whole year and that i have overpaid. I emailed my local revenue office last week but have not heard back yet. There is no information on revenue.ie on how to apply for a refund. Citizens information site does mention refunds but apparently there is no system in place yet. I can view my details on paye online but cannot find anywhere to make a claim.

It's ridiculous that we are never told about anything like this. I tried to ring their offices but the wait time was over 10 mins so that would have eaten up my phone credit.

It's one of the busiest times of the year for the PAYE areas where these queries are dealt with. You could be waiting 8 to 10 weeks for a resolution. If you received a USC cert when you were made redundant, scan it and email it to your local PAYE area along with note saying you want the year reviewed. If they need anything else they will inform you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I've emailed too. Got a reply last week asking for my PPS number so they could look into it for me. Haven't heard anything since. Good job you didn't wait the 10 mins because the waiting time is usually at least twice what the stupid machine tells you and twice now I've been told that me, the revenue website and everyone on here are wrong and of course I'm not due a refund because the rate for €10,000 and under was 4%!

It's one of the busiest times of the year for the PAYE areas where these queries are dealt with. You could be waiting 8 to 10 weeks for a resolution. If you received a USC cert when you were made redundant, scan it and email it to your local PAYE area along with note saying you want the year reviewed. If they need anything else they will inform you.

I know its busy but they should have some sort of system in place like they do for health expenses, p21 statement e.t.c. That only took a few days to appear in my bank as i done it online.
    I have given them my name, pps number and home address which should be enough as i presume they can view my USC details on their system just like i can.
    I've emailed too. Got a reply last week asking for my PPS number so they could look into it for me. Haven't heard anything since. Good job you didn't wait the 10 mins because the waiting time is usually at least twice what the stupid machine tells you and twice now I've been told that me, the revenue website and everyone on here are wrong and of course I'm not due a refund because the rate for €10,000 and under was 4%!

I have calculated that i am owed half of what i paid by using their 2% on the first €10,036 and 4% on the next €5,980.
    Don't get me started on the prsi refunds :D That will take months

I just got a reply to the email I sent them.

The income exemption limit for USC in 2012 is €10,036.  In 2011 the exemption limit was €4,004 so therfore you should have paid income levy in 2011.

I'm not disputing whether or not I should have paid it! I don't actually think it's worth fighting with them about it anymore. There clearly not willing to refund people who have been overcharged.

I just got a reply to the email I sent them.

The income exemption limit for USC in 2012 is €10,036.  In 2011 the exemption limit was €4,004 so therfore you should have paid income levy in 2011.

I'm not disputing whether or not I should have paid it! I don't actually think it's worth fighting with them about it anymore. There clearly not willing to refund people who have been overcharged.

I wouldn't let it go, they have charged you at the wrong rate. I still haven't got a reply back from them yet.

• Advertisement

They just emailed me again. Since when do they work Saturdays? :O Apparently they've changed their minds and I might be entitled to a refund. I have to send them a copy of my P60, which I don't have. Not much use to me but may help someone else!

They just emailed me again. Since when do they work Saturdays? :O Apparently they've changed their minds and I might be entitled to a refund. I have to send them a copy of my P60, which I don't have. Not much use to me but may help someone else!

Seems a bit weird asking for a p60 when i'm sure they could access it ? Also weird getting a reply on a saturday.

I know its busy but they should have some sort of system in place like they do for health expenses, p21 statement e.t.c. That only took a few days to appear in my bank as i done it online.
    I have given them my name, pps number and home address which should be enough as i presume they can view my USC details on their system just like i can.

Lessons learned from the short lived income levy should have taught Revenue to wait until at least March before dealing with USC refunds as by then the bulk of P35s containing the USC info should have been filed by employers. Problems with multiple employments that Revenue knew nothing about until after claims had been made, led to extra work trying get back refunds issued with only a portion of the info required.

Just to be clear, the PAYE anytime system and ROS system are constantly being monitored and redeveloped to ensure they are fit for purpose and as user friendly as possible. It has taken years to get where it is now. If money, time and staff were no object then we could do pretty much anything.
    As the USC was only introduced in 2011 and has already been altered for 2012, I would have thought that there really wouldn't have been any point expending the resources (money and staff) in developing an online claim service for the USC just yet.

Seems a bit weird asking for a p60 when i'm sure they could access it ? Also weird getting a reply on a saturday.

It's a bit odd to receive the email on Saturday but the P60 request is not odd. Your employer may not have not filed their P35 for 2011 yet giving the full information on pay, tax, PRSI and USC to Revenue as yet. In order to ensure that they have all pertinent information on file for you, you will either have to wait until that happens or provide the P60.

I got a reply saying my claim has been processed and i should receive a letter shortly. I'm guessing this will be some sort of form or else a big feck off. Hopefully its a cheque :D

I got a reply saying my claim has been processed and i should receive a letter shortly. I'm guessing this will be some sort of form or else a big feck off. Hopefully its a cheque :D

That's great. Let us know if there is a cheque with that letter! I rang them again today. They said they can't do anything until my employer does her tax returns for last year, but at least they've stopped telling me that I'm not due a refund.

That's great. Let us know if there is a cheque with that letter! I rang them again today. They said they can't do anything until my employer does her tax returns for last year, but at least they've stopped telling me that I'm not due a refund.

Will do

Just checked paye online and there's an income levy document in my request history stating that a refund of USC has been made to my account. It was for the amount i was expecting too :D
    Just have to wait for it to appear in my bank now

Just checked paye online and there's an income levy document in my request history stating that a refund of USC has been made to my account. It was for the amount i was expecting too :D
    Just have to wait for it to appear in my bank now

Great news! Enjoy spending it when it comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

How do I find out how much USC I paid in 2011? Is it on the P60 or PAYE anytime or can I just go through my payslips each month and add it up myself?

• Advertisement

MuddyDog wrote: »
    How do I find out how much USC I paid in 2011? Is it on the P60 or PAYE anytime or can I just go through my payslips each month and add it up myself?

You should have been given a USC cert with your p60. If you are registered on paye online you can check there.

You should have been given a USC cert with your p60. If you are registered on paye online you can check there.

Was just given my P60...no USC cert. I am registered for PAYE anytime but I can't find the figure anywhere there either. Can I just add up the USC on my payslips from last year?

Was just given my P60...no USC cert. I am registered for PAYE anytime but I can't find the figure anywhere there either. Can I just add up the USC on my payslips from last year?

Click on 2011 and on the left hand side of the screen you should see view usc details for 2011

Click on 2011 and on the left hand side of the screen you should see view usc details for 2011

Yeah I've done that. Says they are not on file.....

Yeah I've done that. Says they are not on file.....

Your employer might not have submitted their p35 yet. It said not on file on mine for a while then changed to show the amount.
    Check your last payslip for 2011, it should give you the whole amount deducted for the year

Great news! Enjoy spending it when it comes!

I'm hoping it comes into my bank tonight. The last refund appeared in my account at about 2am. I 'll be going out to watch the liverpool man u game if it does and sip on a few pints of the black stuff :D

I used the USC calculator above and added up my USC paid on my payslips throughout last year and it seems I've overpaid 117.01. Now I'm trying to find the USC Refund Claim Form on Revenue but can't find it anywhere!!! Anyone have a link for it?

Thanks!!!

Edit: Or do I just wait till my employer files the P35 and then Revenue will refund me if it is found that I have overpaid USC for the year?

I used the USC calculator above and added up my USC paid on my payslips throughout last year and it seems I've overpaid 117.01. Now I'm trying to find the USC Refund Claim Form on Revenue but can't find it anywhere!!! Anyone have a link for it?

Thanks!!!

There is no form. Email your local revenue office and ask them to review your USC details as you believe you have overpaid. Include your name, address and PPS number. You could ring them but they take a while to answer the phones.

I officially give up!

Today I got an email asking for my USC certificate instead of my p60, and a letter in the post to say I am not entitled to a refund. They can keep the money! It's just not worth the effort for €180

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It is very dispiriting to read the list of screw ups from Revenue here.

If someone tells you incorrect information over the phone ask for them to send it to you in writing quoting the relevant legislation which supports their treatment which you are entitled to under the customer charter. Make sure you get the name and district of the person you are talking to and ask for the inspectors name to address it to referencing the person handling the claim.

Your December 2012 Last Payslip should show cumulative amounts year to date which should suffice until the employers P35's and USC certs are processed on their systems

Advertisement