Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

vectra wrote: »
    Can anyone elp me get Picture messaging working on this?

Just do yourself a favour and forget about picture messages...Its such a pain. Especially if your on Meteor. Start using Emails. Their hassle free and need no settings. Do have in mind you need data on to send and receive MMS.

There is a thread in Faq with settings. Go read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,400 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nokia Music on the Lumia is only of any use if you want to pay for music through that service, so I can just install it, right? Can anyone suggest a better music player?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Nokia Music on the Lumia is only of any use if you want to pay for music through that service, so I can just install it, right? Can anyone suggest a better music player?

There's been a couple of grumbles on this, to be honest. It's my only gripe with the Lumia, I haven't been able to find a decent one that's even as good as Nokia's own previous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Nokia Music is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Nokia Music is free.

It's free to usel, but it's clearly geared towards guiding you to paid services and the actual player end of things is serious lacking as a result. The interface is horridly limited and a significant step down from previous or alternative smartphone music apps in terms of navigation and listening options.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It can also stream, or download, free playlists.

But yes, you can just uninstall it, and you can reinstall it again at any time from the marketplace.

It's free to usel, but it's clearly geared towards guiding you to paid services and the actual player end of things is serious lacking as a result. The interface is horridly limited and a significant step down from previous or alternative smartphone music apps in terms of navigation and listening options.

The store is geared to sell you music like any store would, the mix radio is completely free.

I've never had anything pop up asking me to buy a song and I use the mix radio all the time. It's great!

Now who the hell would use it to play their own music instead of the zune player? Why would you do that?

You have to have a play with Nokia Music. It's a music shop but you also have mix radio. You can download offline play list with the latest chart, dance or whatever you like music for free. All you need is an Internet connection.

It's a really good apply. Sometimes I rob my mums phone to put it on the sound system cause the play lists have really good music.

How do I change the homepage of Internet Explorer by the way? Also, can I change the default search from Bing to Google?

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Now who the hell would use it to play their own music instead of the zune player? Why would you do that?
    It's all a bit silly really, two places on the phone to buy music, two places to play your music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Battery life is fine. My mum gets 1~2 days out of it easy.

Unless your a Twitter, game, music junkie you'll struggle to get more than 12 hours from any phone

Any smart phone. Unless its the Razer Maxx ( Li-Ion 3300 mAh battery)

My basic non smart 2g phone lasts for a good week if not more.

It's all a bit silly really, two places on the phone to buy music, two places to play your music.

Actually its the only place you can buy music on the phone. You can't buy music from Zune as its not available in Ireland.

It's an app, you can uninstall if you don't want it or use it.

That's the way all smartphones are really. They have any number of different apps that do variations on the same few things. Use the ones you like, uninstall the ones you don't.

How do I change the homepage of Internet Explorer by the way? Also, can I change the default search from Bing to Google?
    Anyone help with this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Can't be done. Not yet at least.

Anyone help with this one?

Networks are the ones who set the search engine in the browser. As far as I know you can't do it without a rooted phone.

Try out bing, for most of the time it's just as good as Google. If you're doing local search include Ireland or locality at the end of the search phrase and it works great. There's also an official Google search application in the marketplace. You can also pin Google website to your startsscreen

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

Bought my Nokia Lumia 800 today! Got the guy in the shop to disable maps as someone said in a review that this can help lengthen the battery. Anyone know if this is true.

angeline wrote: »
    Bought my Nokia Lumia 800 today! Got the guy in the shop to disable maps as someone said in a review that this can help lengthen the battery. Anyone know if this is true.

lol, no disabling maps won't help lenghten the battery life, I think he may have meant the "Location Service" which does eat the battery but not by a huge amount.

If I where you I would not worry about disabling options unless you are having a battery problem, if you do have a battery problem then you can start turning options off :-)

Will have to call back to shop tomorrow as I can't send picture messages and customer service didn't help. I'm with O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boolx

Thinking of buying this from O2, currently 199 which gives a lot of phone for the money (and I get a 10% discount I think).

Anyone had any luck with unlocking one of these? I'm in the UK a fair bit so would need to be able to use it on giffgaff (UK network).

I see from some threads in XDA that a user unlock is possible if the bootloader is Qualcomm but not if it's 'Dload', so if anyone could comment on the bootloader type of an O2 lumia 800 :P that would be helpful.

Or maybe I can get it unlocked for 10 from some shop, I'm not sure.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

You can't change the homepage, but you can pin any page to your start screen. Just click on the three dots option button and choose Pin to Start. A workaround more than anything else, but good to know. You could have a few favourites pinned there...

There's a "Find my phone" service, where the phone sends it's location to Microsoft every now and then, so if you lose it or it's stolen you can track it down. If you go into the settings, theres two options that you can enable or disable, enabling means the location will be more accurate and updated more often, but will use some extra battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Will have to call back to shop tomorrow as I can't send picture messages and customer service didn't help. I'm with O2.

Make sure you have mobile data turned on first.

I had same issue and am o2 too. The guru had it twice and couldn't sort it. Turns out the phone was faulty and had to get a replacement.

One thing I noticed was I couldn't send an email outside of Ireland which was strange. Those issues were sorted by replacing the handset only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Anyone buy this in carphone warehouse? If so was it unlocked? Would rather stay on meteor than jump to 02.

Been in to O2 shop today and girl couldn't sort the problem with picture messages!! Neither could tech support. Great. Have a new phone and can't send any photos.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Been in to O2 shop today and girl couldn't sort the problem with picture messages!! Neither could tech support. Great. Have a new phone and can't send any photos.......

Went to my local o2 store today and the guy in the store had it sorted in about 3 minutes.
    Picture messaging perfect now, Viber also sends pic messages

Did you try installing and running the network setup app?

Yep, did all that. Then installed Zune as advised by O2 on boards with the data cable. Think I'll give up on it for tonight and go back to shop tomorrow and hope someone else there can sort it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Yep, did all that. Then installed Zune as advised by O2 on boards with the data cable. Think I'll give up on it for tonight and go back to shop tomorrow and hope someone else there can sort it. Thanks.

Ditto, seeing the guru but will be returning the phone unless it can link with my computer and my MP3, mp4 and other music will synch with the phone. I find it daft that bluetooth won't work with a Noki2 express music and that none of the music on that phone will transfer to the 800 via either PC, Bluetooth or MMS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its that a feature of Windows Phone though. Its not unique to the 800. Its a bit like the iPhone limitations.

Advertisement