Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

This app is not available for your device...damn...

Check in the Nokia market place, I installed it from there and it works fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Me too. Big improvement on the messenger version.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I got it Saturday. Big improvement alright. I haven't been able to make a voice call though, it connects but no sound on either end. I only know one other Viber user though so don't know which end the problem is on. Has anyone else made a voice call ok with the Nokia version?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭pedatron

Anyone else find whatsapp much slower on this phone in comparison to Android?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭JCB1

stevenmu wrote: »
    I got it Saturday. Big improvement alright. I haven't been able to make a voice call though, it connects but no sound on either end. I only know one other Viber user though so don't know which end the problem is on. Has anyone else made a voice call ok with the Nokia version?

I've got the same issue, I've tried a number of Viber users, same issue each time. Any ideas ?

• Advertisement

It actually seems to be a widespread issue, the app has been pulled and they are working on a fix: http://wmpoweruser.com/viber-2-2-app-pulled-from-windows-phone-store/.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

It actually seems to be a widespread issue, the app has been pulled and they are working on a fix: http://wmpoweruser.com/viber-2-2-app-pulled-from-windows-phone-store/.

ThAnks for the update.

Is anyone else wondering how on earth something so fundamental slipped through the testing phase? Seriously?

Am I expecting too much!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Ronan H wrote: »

ThAnks for the update.

Is anyone else wondering how on earth something so fundamental slipped through the testing phase? Seriously?

Am I expecting too much!?

Their testing is obviously not thorough enough. They should make use of the open/closes beta features in the marketplace..

It does seem a little odd that the main feature of the release doesn't seem to be working for anybody. Especially when it has been promised for release, and then pushed back a number of times. Double especially because they seem to be working closely with Nokia on it, it's pretty easy as a developer to develop software that relies on some component, and to actually have that on all your own devices but forget that the general public won't, but I would have thought testing with Nokia would have ruled that out.

It does seem a little odd that the main feature of the release doesn't seem to be working for anybody. Especially when it has been promised for release, and then pushed back a number of times. Double especially because they seem to be working closely with Nokia on it, it's pretty easy as a developer to develop software that relies on some component, and to actually have that on all your own devices but forget that the general public won't, but I would have thought testing with Nokia would have ruled that out.

The voice call feature has indeed been promised for ages on the "official" Viber app from Viber themselves, but the one in question here is the Nokia version. The official Viber app still doesn't have the voice call functionality.

This Nokia one seems to have just appeared out of the blue, or at least that's how it seems to me anyway, I hadn't heard a peep about it and suddenly there it was with voice calling included. Notwithstanding the fact that the voice calling didn't actually work, it was an impressive release from Nokia.

To pick up on something you said about Viber working closely with Nokia on it, I wonder what is the actual crack there. Were they actually working together on it? Does it seem a bit odd to people that they would release their own version, and then co-release (if you will) a version with Nokia? I assumed that the Nokia version was a separate entity altogether, but if it was a collaboration, why did they leave both versions in the Marketplace?

Tis a bit confusing, but interesting. I'd like to hear more on the collaboration (or not as the case may be) if anyone has any information on it?

Ro

• Advertisement

I'm not sure exactly what the relationship is or what went on during development. I know that a few weeks back WMPowerUser had an announcement up that the next version with voice was ready to be deployed, that disappeared shortly after, and then a few days later there was another announcement that the next version was going to be released exclusively for Nokias.

The app appears in the marketplace as being published by Nokia, so at some point they must have recieved it, signed it and submitted it to the marketplace. There's a thread over on XDA where one of the Viber team has been commenting. There's mentions of external factors, and I think there's a mention somewhere of needing to work with OEMs because they have access to more functionality than normal developer.

Not a lot of info I know :)

I'm not sure exactly what the relationship is or what went on during development. I know that a few weeks back WMPowerUser had an announcement up that the next version with voice was ready to be deployed, that disappeared shortly after, and then a few days later there was another announcement that the next version was going to be released exclusively for Nokias.

The app appears in the marketplace as being published by Nokia, so at some point they must have recieved it, signed it and submitted it to the marketplace. There's a thread over on XDA where one of the Viber team has been commenting. There's mentions of external factors, and I think there's a mention somewhere of needing to work with OEMs because they have access to more functionality than normal developer.

Not a lot of info I know :)

Cool thanks. It all just seems a bit loose, but I guess if the end result is a fully functional version of Viber (which, lets face it, is WAY overdue), then it will hopefully be worth it.

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Being looking for a phone for ages now to replace my 5800. Lumia 800 is now €200 with O2. Very very tempted to get as could not justify paying over €400 for it.

Nearly left shop with it today, might leave with it tomorrow.

But must ask, how much of a difference between W7/7.8 and W8? and the OVI Maps on the Older Nokia smart phones and the Nokia Maps on the Lumias?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Maps are as good as the old Nokia Ovi ones, I upgraded from a Nokia N8 and have used the Lumia 800 maps in the car and they are excellent. The Nokia drive is really good on the phone. Its also easy to download new maps on the phone minus any PC connection.

The Zune software is used for connection to a PC. This differs from the old Nokia Ovi suite which is redundant. However all your favorites saved on you nokia account will transfer on signin to the Nokia Maps. Check the phone has Windows phone 7.5 OS, if not upgrade it first; note this takes a while so be patient and in my experience is best done through a PC with Zune.

Windows Phone 7.8 promises to have a lot of the features of Windows 8 however some newer apps developed for Windows 8 may not run, we really do not know however at the excellent price for the Lumia 800 its worth a chance.

Remember to setup a hotmail account if you do not have one and all your contacts will be stored in this account. This makes future windows phone upgrades pretty painless. Note I used live.ie as this domain has plenty of nice email names left.

I should add the build quality of the phone is excellent and the size is perfect.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Being looking for a phone for ages now to replace my 5800. Lumia 800 is now €200 with O2. Very very tempted to get as could not justify paying over €400 for it.

Nearly left shop with it today, might leave with it tomorrow.

But must ask, how much of a difference between W7/7.8 and W8? and the OVI Maps on the Older Nokia smart phones and the Nokia Maps on the Lumias?

That's the phone I came from too :)

For €200 the lumina 800 is a bargain. Use it until the 820 with windows8 drops to a similar price a you can't go wrong.

Some step up from the 5800, in every way.

Cool phone and as said build quality is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

is it possible to get a lumia 800 unlocked and if so how much does it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

is it possible to get a lumia 800 unlocked and if so how much does it cost?

You can get one for £199 on Amazon.co.uk but you'd better hurry there's only 5 left!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/279-2119585-5526532?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nokia+lumia+800

Viber with HD calls is back apparently?

http://www.wpcentral.com/viber-hd-windows-phone-returns-nokia-collection

I had an update pending this morning so not sure if voice works yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Cant see anything on the nokia website, or in the manuals, but can I only download maps and voice guidance via the handset, or can I download via Lpatop and transfer the handsent via data cable.

Plus, when opening nokia drive, the handset is telling me I need a data connection, I thought unassisted GPS was available, or will this message stop once I have maps downloaded?

Yes, you would need to download them from the app itself, so handset only as far as I know.

Once you have maps downloaded it does work without any data connection available.

• Advertisement

Dub XV wrote: »
    Viber with HD calls is back apparently?

http://www.wpcentral.com/viber-hd-windows-phone-returns-nokia-collection

I had an update pending this morning so not sure if voice works yet.

Yes calls back up and running on Viber.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dub XV wrote: »
    Yes calls back up and running on Viber.

cant find it on marketplace on my phone? Uninstalled it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

I'm looking at buying the Lumia 800 in the next few days. Just two questions. It doesn't have a front facing camera. Is this a major disadvantage when taking a photo? Alos I have read mixed reviews about the battery. Is it poor or has it improved? Thanks.

adox wrote: »
    cant find it on marketplace on my phone? Uninstalled it last week.

Oh right. I was still using mine for text.

When I woke up Saturday morning there was an update pending and low and behold, calls are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

angeline wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying the Lumia 800 in the next few days. Just two questions. It doesn't have a front facing camera. Is this a major disadvantage when taking a photo? Alos I have read mixed reviews about the battery. Is it poor or has it improved? Thanks.

Front facing cameras are just used for video calls. they're normally lower resolution so no, it doesnt affect picture taking. The lumia takes great photos.

Its had battery issues (software issue) but if the phone is properly updated, they should be resolved now. Same as other smartphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How do you find the camera and music sq?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

angeline wrote: »

Front facing camera not really missed. The battery is basically as good as any other smart phone provided the software is at Windows phone 7.5

My advice is do not buy at the original 400euro plus price. The phone is being discounted and can be picked up 200euro or less sim free online or with O2 prepay.

I expect all other operators in Ireland to follow O2's lead on price. So basically you should pay no more than 200euro or if going for a contract upgrade get it free on a 12month contract.

Do not sign a 18-24 month contract as if buying an S3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Has anyone unlocked the 800 with a code bought online or in an unlocking shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The 800 takes a micro sim yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

Thanks. I'm already with O2 on prepay so will pick it up for €200!

Advertisement