Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

I recently won a Samsung Galaxy Note and I absolutely hate android so I would love to change over to a Windows Phone, specifically the Nokia Lumia 800. I was just wondering from user experience what are the main problems with the phone itself and the Windows OS? Thanks a million. Hopefully this will help me decide what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

55% left after 12 hours. Was getting low battery warnings at this stage yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I recently won a Samsung Galaxy Note and I absolutely hate android so I would love to change over to a Windows Phone, specifically the Nokia Lumia 800. I was just wondering from user experience what are the main problems with the phone itself and the Windows OS? Thanks a million. Hopefully this will help me decide what to do.

Well all the problems that were following on the launch are sort of gone now. Battery and sound were the main ones as far as I recall.

Nokia pushed out updates to fix those. So none that I can name right now :) The only downside I see of this is that it doesn't have a front facing camera, but if you don't intend to use Skype on your phone a lot I wouldn't be worried ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I installed the latest firmware now and for the first time since I have my nice Lumia I survived more then 24 hours without a charge, this morning I still have 33% left with an estimated additonal 10 hours, sure 34 hours is still nowhere near the advertising but I am on 3 with push e-mail for 2 exchange accounts so that is a new record for me.

I installed the latest firmware now and for the first time since I have my nice Lumia I survived more then 24 hours without a charge, this morning I still have 33% left with an estimated additonal 10 hours, sure 34 hours is still nowhere near the advertising but I am on 3 with push e-mail for 2 exchange accounts so that is a new record for me.

Its the most your going to get out of a phone with 1500 mah battery.

Unless your an extremely light user :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Was this an update via zune or you forced it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Well all the problems that were following on the launch are sort of gone now. Battery and sound were the main ones as far as I recall.

Nokia pushed out updates to fix those. So none that I can name right now :) The only downside I see of this is that it doesn't have a front facing camera, but if you don't intend to use Skype on your phone a lot I wouldn't be worried ;)

You can always stand in front of a mirror when skyping :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

chrislad wrote: »
    Just forced the updated and went from that firmware to 1600.2487.8107.12070

Will report back in a few days and report on the battery, which was the only issue I was having.

Two days testing and I'm much happier. On 30% now after taking off charge at about 7am, and I turned on push email for the first time in two weeks. I did a quick diagnostic with a store model on the older firmware.

I was getting a drain on about 130 on my phone with internet on, push and with phone signal on 3G. The store phone, with no internet, no sim card, no wifi etc, just the phone on with nothing running, was pulling down 180.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

vicM wrote: »

Forced it, got tired of waiting for it.

But it looks like Nokia is now pushing it out world wide, you can check the status of the push here:

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-lumia-800-software-update/nokia-lumia-800-software-update-availability

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

vicM wrote: »

Forced it, got tired of waiting for it.

But it looks like Nokia is now pushing it out world wide, you can check the status of the push here:

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-lumia-800-software-update/nokia-lumia-800-software-update-availability

Mine is listed as available, and nothing. And unbranded, no waiting for carrier approval. Will have to force it after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

Mine is listed as available, and nothing. And unbranded, no waiting for carrier approval. Will have to force it after all.

Same for me (unbranded phone, no Irish carrier) - Zune pushed it this morning, so I'd say it is imminent for you.

Neffa2 wrote: »
    Same for me (unbranded phone, no Irish carrier) - Zune pushed it this morning, so I'd say it is imminent for you.

Nevermind, plugged it in again and it's now updating.:D So that's all amazon.de phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

confused by all this. I'm with Meteor. How do i update to get longer battery life?

Fran1985 wrote: »
    confused by all this. I'm with Meteor. How do i update to get longer battery life?

You have to update your phone via Zune. Look through a couple of pages of posts. You will see it

It's not available officially on Meteor yet. You just have to plug your phone into a pc/laptop and when zune starts up there's an option to update your phone now. You can force the update using the guide on the last few pages of this thread, or wait- they are rolling them out fast, it would probably be there within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Have to say this update has really improved the battery life in this phone - I guess I will be keeping it now.

At the moment time since last charge: 1 day 17 hours, estimated time remaining: 9 hours. I will admit I always have 3g and Wifi turned off until I get home from work - but I turn it on now and again during the day to check stuff. I also listen to music for around 2 hours a day on the way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Have to say this update has really improved the battery life in this phone - I guess I will be keeping it now.

At the moment time since last charge: 1 day 17 hours, estimated time remaining: 9 hours. I will admit I always have 3g and Wifi turned off until I get home from work - but I turn it on now and again during the day to check stuff. I also listen to music for around 2 hours a day on the way to work.

Amen to all of that. It really has shifted the phone into the "usable and practical" category. Prior to the updates I was having issues with switching the phone on when it drained fully, it wouldn't even switch on when plugged in, but that seems to have been addressed too.

I am also glad that there has finally been some updates for the navigation software which has improved its usability also.

I guess I am happy with the phone for now :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Anyone here know if it supports emoji that is compatible with the iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Have this coming to me either tomorrow or Thursday as a work phone, after suffering with a HTC Wildfire S for the last few months. Awful phone.

Looking forward to the Lumia. Hopefully I will enjoy using it a lot more than the HTC.:)

mad muffin wrote: »
    Anyone here know if it supports emoji that is compatible with the iPhone?

I haven't tried it yet, but this looks interesting.

Edit: I just sent myself a text with the Emoji (b) which represents a pint of beer. It worked fine, but I guess it's a bit more cumbersome than the iPhone because you have to type the characters in as opposed to tapping on the Emoji in a list. I doubt I'd remember them all!

Further Edit: The full list thats linked to in the above article is very hard to read, so here are two more links where the pictures and characters are a bit clearer:

Here and Here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Ronan H wrote: »
    I haven't tried it yet, but this looks interesting.

So the actual icons are built into the keyboard like on the iPhone?

mad muffin wrote: »
    So the actual icons are built into the keyboard like on the iPhone?

No I don't think that works yet. When you click on the smiley face in the keyboard at the moment, there's a list of smileys, but they are represented by the characters, so it's hard to figure out which are which. Also, some of the built in ones don't work when you use them.

The list on the websites are extra ones, but I dunno if there's a way to integrate them into the phone interface, so short of having a photographic memory, it might be a bit cumbersome to use.

As you suggest, it would be far better if they were represented by the actual picture. Maybe down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Is there any shop in the Waterford/Cork area that will let someone play around with the Lumia before buying?

All the shops I've been to only have tablets and iPhones to sample. The Lumias are all dummies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

I'm pretty sure that all Vodafone shops have live Lumias you can use

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

So the new sw update for the Lumia has greatly improved the battery life - but just for info, when mine is fully charged, the most i get for battery life is 1day 7'hrs..is this what everyone else gets?

Also after a day of heavy usage as work phone ,defo needs a charge..prob 2-3 hrs talk, emails ( manual sync) and some bluetooth calls in car, wifi browsing at home, general browsing on 3G during day.

I do find the iPhone 4 better for battery, but I am liking the Lumia , hoping for more sw updates to improve the phone and better apps to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Battery life on this phone pre-update really is crap - I got less than 12 hours today with only light web usage - no calls/music/whatever. Meteor update still 'waiting for approval'. A stupid decision to ship the phone with that type of life imo.

Also, does anyone have the music icon on the (default) Bing search app? It's supposed to function like Shazam but apparently is region-specific.

impr0v wrote: »
    Also, does anyone have the music icon on the (default) Bing search app? It's supposed to function like Shazam but apparently is region-specific.

I don't anyway. My phone is German.

impr0v wrote: »
    Battery life on this phone pre-update really is crap - I got less than 12 hours today with only light web usage - no calls/music/whatever. Meteor update still 'waiting for approval'. A stupid decision to ship the phone with that type of life imo.

Its part of Bing/Zune Music search which is not available here. You can still use third party apps

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I've had mine a day or so now and really liking it. One thing though, mines a Vodafone phone and the firmware ends in 11501 and is showing as the latest firmware available, both on the phone and in Zune yesterday on the work PC. Shouldnt the latest firmware end in 12070?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

adox wrote: »
    I've had mine a day or so now and really liking it. One thing though, mines a Vodafone phone and the firmware ends in 11501 and is showing as the latest firmware available, both on the phone and in Zune yesterday on the work PC. Shouldnt the latest firmware end in 12070?

Vodafone may not have released the firmware update yet. Best to contact them or search for it in Google.

Advertisement