Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Could you explain how you do this on the iPhone?

No bother.
    After adding an email account you can go into the account settings and add more SMTP servers that the account can use. The servers from other mail accounts on the phone are also listed there and can also be used by each account. Clear as mud?:)
    Here's a pic......
    196947.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Ah I see what you mean now. I've had a look around the settings and internet and can't see any way to do that? I don't think its possible unless some one else knows how?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Vodafone update for Ireland now out.

Will update via Zune now :)

Excellent, thanks for that! Any reports on whether it addresses the issue of the phone not switching on or charging after a full discharge? It wasn't mentioned anywhere but maybe it was bundled with the other battery fixes?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

battery issue has cropped up with missus phone..anybody know when the Germans are being their update or do I have to flash an update

vicM wrote: »
    battery issue has cropped up with missus phone..anybody know when the Germans are being their update or do I have to flash an update

The updates are rolling out now, so it should be any day soon. I just checked to see if you could download it but the Germany one is not there. Then again you can use anyone you want. Country Variant ones are the one's that are unbranded. Remember flashing your phone will reset everything on it..

Untitled-12.jpg

On another note, Nokia Drive version 2 is out now. This now has an offline mode. Also there's a new Nokia maps out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yay! Meteor is in that list so should be earlier than next week. No update as of 2 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

kaizersoze wrote: »
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    Could you explain how you do this on the iPhone?

No bother.
    After adding an email account you can go into the account settings and add more SMTP servers that the account can use. The servers from other mail accounts on the phone are also listed there and can also be used by each account. Clear as mud?:)
    Here's a pic......
    196947.PNG

What's the purpose of this do you mind me asking?

What's the purpose of this do you mind me asking?

Don't mind at all.:)
    You can usually only send emails through the SMTP server of your ISP (internet provider).
    Being able to add multiple SMTP servers means I can send emails from various locations depending on who I'm connected to the internet with.

For example, the phone would be connected to the internet on my eircom broadband connection in the office so the email accounts need to be set to the Eircom SMTP. When I'm on the road I'd be connected to the internet via the O2 mobile network so the email accounts would need to be configured to send via the O2 SMTP server.
    On the Lumia I'd have to manually go into the settings and change the server settings each time I changed from one internet connection to another.
    On the iPhone I can input multiple servers and the email would be sent through whichever server was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Would you not rather just sign up for a normal hotmail and there would be no need for any of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Don't mind at all.:)
    You can usually only send emails through the SMTP server of your ISP (internet provider).
    Being able to add multiple SMTP servers means I can send emails from various locations depending on who I'm connected to the internet with.

For example, the phone would be connected to the internet on my eircom broadband connection in the office so the email accounts need to be set to the Eircom SMTP. When I'm on the road I'd be connected to the internet via the O2 mobile network so the email accounts would need to be configured to send via the O2 SMTP server.
    On the Lumia I'd have to manually go into the settings and change the server settings each time I changed from one internet connection to another.
    On the iPhone I can input multiple servers and the email would be sent through whichever server was available.

I'm a bit lost here. Lets say i have an account 'myname@myhost.ie' and my SMTP server is smtp.eircom.ie

When i'm on meteor i use smtp.eircom.ie, when i'm at home i use smtp.eircom.ie, when i'm at work using our own corportate network i use smtp.eircom.ie, when i'm on my friends wifi and he's using smart i use smtp.eircom.ie, when i'm on my friends wifi and he has chorus i use smtp.eircom.ie, when i'm using my friends O2 dongle i use smtp.eircom.ie.

It works everytime.

Why exactly do you need to change it?

• Advertisement

There are 9 email accounts setup on the phone, 7 work and 2 personal.

Some will work without changes but more won't. I find it very hit and miss.
    The Eircom SMTP fails on the O2 network most of the time. I've always found the Eircom servers unreliable at the best of times anyway.

You can use one SMTP server with all email addresses. I use googles server for all my outgoing email, but you can pick whatever one you want.

Most SMTP servers don't care what email address is sent, as long as you have the right credentials to log into it.

EDIT: As an example, if i want i can send an email as you (if i knew your email address) but you'd get the reply. Or send you an email from 'troika@irelandforsale.com', although i'd never get the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Looks like they sorted out the battery issues with the new update. Just got nearly 1 1/2 days out of the phone with some pretty long camera usage during that period.

Looks promising :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

TBi wrote: »
    You can use one SMTP server with all email addresses. I use googles server for all my outgoing email, but you can pick whatever one you want.

Most SMTP servers don't care what email address is sent, as long as you have the right credentials to log into it.

EDIT: As an example, if i want i can send an email as you (if i knew your email address) but you'd get the reply. Or send you an email from 'troika@irelandforsale.com', although i'd never get the reply.

SMTP servers which require authentication, such as google's are often pretty flexible like that. Traditionally many ISP's SMTP servers didn't require authentication, so to prevent them being used as spam relays they would only relay emails from that users on that ISPs network.

stevenmu wrote: »
    SMTP servers which require authentication, such as google's are often pretty flexible like that.
    Hence no need for all those SMTP servers if you use one of these.
    stevenmu wrote: »
    Traditionally many ISP's SMTP servers didn't require authentication, so to prevent them being used as spam relays they would only relay emails from that users on that ISPs network.

In understand this, but most now use authentication and work on other networks, especially nowadays since people move from network to network a lot more than before.

Still he only needs 1 of the 7 SMTP servers listed if it can use authentication and be flexible. He has GMail listed, so unless there are security concerns he could just use that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

TBi wrote: »
    Still he only needs 1 of the 7 SMTP servers listed if it can use authentication and be flexible. He has GMail listed, so unless there are security concerns he could just use that.
    Yeah, that'd be the best option alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Looks like they sorted out the battery issues with the new update. Just got nearly 1 1/2 days out of the phone with some pretty long camera usage during that period.

Looks promising :)

Finally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Anybody else having problems with proximity sensor? sometimes doesn't work and calls get put on hold mistakenly..
    also WIFI sometimes freezers and the phone needs a reboot:-(
    might have to flash another ROM to prevent turmoil in this household

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Johnzy Fitzgerald

Quick question (based on the update list that AntiVirus posted)...
    I just got my 800 today from Three :-) and in the 'about' section, my carrier is listed as 'CV UK'.
    So am I to understand from this that I have the UK Country Variant, and does that mean updates will be available to me as soon as they are released? No having to wait on the carriers (Three in this case)?

Thanks in advance

Quick question (based on the update list that AntiVirus posted)...
    I just got my 800 today from Three :-) and in the 'about' section, my carrier is listed as 'CV UK'.
    So am I to understand from this that I have the UK Country Variant, and does that mean updates will be available to me as soon as they are released? No having to wait on the carriers (Three in this case)?

Thanks in advance

Yip, your correct partly correct. Nokia will push the CV updates to your phone but they do them in batches based on your phones product code.

They do tend to push them out pretty quickly :)

• Advertisement

vicM wrote: »
    Anybody else having problems with proximity sensor? sometimes doesn't work and calls get put on hold mistakenly..
    also WIFI sometimes freezers and the phone needs a reboot:-(
    might have to flash another ROM to prevent turmoil in this household

No problems like that on mine but I think I did have the proximity problem when I first got my phone, I remember my ear would then put the call on hold a few times? That would have been back in December and it hasn't happened since. I think a hard reset may have been what fixed it, not sure though :confused:

Well that's perfect then.
    Having to wait (and hope) for the networks to provide updates was one of the main things that I was worried about when moving over to Windows Phone.

Anyway, now that I have your attention, can I ask one more question?
    My OS version was listed as 7.10.8107.79, after connecting to the Zune software I was told there was an update available.
    I updated and strangely enough the OS version is still 7.10.8107.79.
    Although at least one bug seems to have been fixed (when I increased the screen brightness, the capacitive buttons never lit up).

Anyway what I'd like to know is, is 7.10.8107.79 the newest OS version available?
    Secondly, should I actually be looking at 'Firmware revision number' instead to find out how up to date my phone is?

Thanks again by the way. It's greatly appreciated.

Well that's perfect then.
    Having to wait (and hope) for the networks to provide updates was one of the main things that I was worried about when moving over to Windows Phone.

Anyway, now that I have your attention, can I ask one more question?
    My OS version was listed as 7.10.8107.79, after connecting to the Zune software I was told there was an update available.
    I updated and strangely enough the OS version is still 7.10.8107.79.
    Although at least one bug seems to have been fixed (when I increased the screen brightness, the capacitive buttons never lit up).

Anyway what I'd like to know is, is 7.10.8107.79 the newest OS version available?
    Secondly, should I actually be looking at 'Firmware revision number' instead to find out how up to date my phone is?

Thanks again by the way. It's greatly appreciated.

The latest update for the Lumia is a firmware update not OS. The latest OS is the one you've listed above. It sounds like you have the latest firmware which fixed the buttons bug.

The firmware version should end 8107.12070. There should be a big improvement with your music sound. Also the battery bug has been fixed too.

Yup, I seem to have the the latest firmware alright.
    Handy too, as that button bug already already had me annoyed. Never had a chance to notice any other obvious bugs/battery problems though.
    Cheers for answering my questions by the way.

Nokia Music now showing up in the Marketplace for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Hi All

Just wondering if somone can help, got my new unbranded lumia 800 saturday but the battery life and sound is really bad, quick search on the net and there is new sw for this well known issue but i dont knwo when or how i will get it?

current version is 1600.2483.8107.11501 but i need 12070 variant for the fix - i have an unbranded model on Vodafone, i've noticed on Vodafone forum some members saying they have received it but i stil dont see anything in Zune.

Is there any other way to get the sw onto the phone, or do i just need to wait for it to appear in zune?

cheers

edit: found this website, easy to do, hopefully battery will improve now http://nokiainnovation.com/2012/03/guide-how-to-get-the-latest-lumia-800-update-now/

Bulmers wrote: »
    edit: found this website, easy to do, hopefully battery will improve now http://nokiainnovation.com/2012/03/guide-how-to-get-the-latest-lumia-800-update-now/

Thats too easy! :D

The handy thing about using the cab sender method is it keeps all your data the other way using Nokia Care Suite deletes all your data and you have to re-install all your apps again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Bulmers wrote: »
    Hi All

Just wondering if somone can help, got my new unbranded lumia 800 saturday but the battery life and sound is really bad, quick search on the net and there is new sw for this well known issue but i dont knwo when or how i will get it?

current version is 1600.2483.8107.11501 but i need 12070 variant for the fix - i have an unbranded model on Vodafone, i've noticed on Vodafone forum some members saying they have received it but i stil dont see anything in Zune.

Is there any other way to get the sw onto the phone, or do i just need to wait for it to appear in zune?

cheers

Few comments under that making me too wary to use that. I'll wait for the official one I think.

I know my phone is coutry variant Germany but it doesn't list that under carrier in about..is that normal?

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm on 1600.2483.8107.11501. Hopefully not enough of a change to delay the update.

Just forced the updated and went from that firmware to 1600.2487.8107.12070

Will report back in a few days and report on the battery, which was the only issue I was having.

• Advertisement

Few comments under that making me too wary to use that. I'll wait for the official one I think.

I know my phone is coutry variant Germany but it doesn't list that under carrier in about..is that normal?

This has been out for quite a while and is working fine. This method was developed over on xda well before the Nokia Lumia was out. This way of flashing is perfectly sate and is in fact a lot safer than updating with Zune!

You can backup your phone before hand using this. :)

Advertisement