Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    For easy calving LM - would ye go for Knell from Munster or EBY/LM2014 from Dovea?

Lm2014

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah for calving ease i'd go for LM 2014, he's light boned and very easy calved.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

But Knell would make the better replacement heifer of the 3 - would I be right in saying that?
    Calving difficulty aside, would ye still go for LM2014?

Have two LM2014 calves here, bull and heifer, haven't used Knell.
    I suppose Knell might be the better option if you keep the heifer calves as replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Gudstock

Had 3 knell heifers this year, lovely, lovely stock. Would avoid on very fleshy maiden heifers. All 3 were fairly flighty, all got the road and was happy with prices. One of them was a real cow maker...still debating whether i should have held her but try to tell myself to keep sorting docility and dont have anymore nervy ones....

• Advertisement

Gudstock wrote: »
    Had 3 knell heifers this year, lovely, lovely stock. Would avoid on very fleshy maiden heifers. All 3 were fairly flighty, all got the road and was happy with prices. One of them was a real cow maker...still debating whether i should have held her but try to tell myself to keep sorting docility and dont have anymore nervy ones....

He has a poor score for docility on ICBF, not a good thing.
    Still i think i might have kept the good one and hoped she calmed down over the winter in the shed and if not sell her in the spring.

Loyal from Bova is suitable for heifers, nice quality to them and should be milk there, not the biggest tho.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    But Knell would make the better replacement heifer of the 3 - would I be right in saying that?
    Calving difficulty aside, would ye still go for LM2014?

You'll have a nice easy calved calf out of Lm2014, don't get greedy on maidens, Lm2014 leaves nice heifers too

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Anyone kept any fiston heifers as replacements?
    What are they like for milk etc?
    Keeping two this year off two milky cows, be interesting to hear others experience of him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

You'll have a nice easy calved calf out of Lm2014, don't get greedy on maidens, Lm2014 leaves nice heifers too

What’s his gestation like?
    Have a nice 13m CH was thinking of calving at 24/25M
    Thinking Lm or SA

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Amateur Farmer

I've used LM2014 and Knottown Roy on most of the maiden heifers this year, used both of them last year on two maiden heifers and very pleased with the calves and no problem with calving either. I was nervous of docility with a salers bull but the calf is one of the quietest we've had on the farm.

• Advertisement

What’s his gestation like?
    Have a nice 13m CH was thinking of calving at 24/25M
    Thinking Lm or SA

Lm2014, don't think it'd be too long on a ch cow, he's easier calved than some sales and angus

I've used LM2014 and Knottown Roy on most of the maiden heifers this year, used both of them last year on two maiden heifers and very pleased with the calves and no problem with calving either. I was nervous of docility with a salers bull but the calf is one of the quietest we've had on the farm.

Have a Knottown Roy heifer calf off a ZAG heifer here and she's very quiet, have a few Highfield Odran calves this year and they're very quiet also.
    The two LM2014 calves had a gestation of 288 and 283 days.

tanko wrote: »
    Have a Knottown Roy heifer calf off a ZAG heifer here and she's very quiet, have a few Highfield Odran calves this year and they're very quiet also.
    Was the gestation for Odhran and Roy any shorter

He's the gestation for the Odran calves here this year.
    June 10-March 23 H, June 17-April 03 B, June 18-April 04 B, June 26-April 08 B, July 09-April 18 B, July 12-April 21 H. July 14-April 22 H.
    The Roy one was June 24-April 02 H.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

June 10-March 23 H, June 17-April 03 B, June 18-April 04 B, June 26-April 08 B, July 09-April 18 B, July 12-April 21 H. July 14-April 22 H.

I actually tried munster lately for odran straws but they said they were all out.

That’s 291 days for bulls 283-287 for heifer
    EBY seams to be as short

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Used Roy here as well this year, had a Feb born PB bull sell last week for 990 at 400kgs. Will Use him again for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I actually tried munster lately for odran straws but they said they were all out.

Feck it, was hoping to get more off them this year. I’ve a couple left in the pot - they’ll be precious now! :)

The lad who bred odran had ch & sa weanling bulls in macroom about a month ago.
    Serious cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

That’s 291 days for bulls 283-287 for heifer
    EBY seams to be as short

I was a bit surprised that would be that long. Stock bull here so no idea how long they carry but what would you reckon the actual gestation would be for CH bulls then if SA up at 291 for bulls?

• Advertisement

I was a bit surprised that would be that long. Stock bull here so no idea how long they carry but what would you reckon the actual gestation would be for CH bulls then if SA up at 291 for bulls?

Generally the CH average about 289 days
    283 was shortest to 294 longest
    Have had LM go to 303 days

I’ve found the Dam is more of a factor than the bull for gestation

The extra days make bigger calves

That's a pity, he's a great bull. Have six heifers here in calf to Knottown Roy for the Spring.
    The Bova bull Valliant VTA is Odrans sire, he's a very good bull too. They have a new Saler bull called Manclaux also.
    I was talking to a Dovea Ai man last week he isn't impressed with Ulsan at all.
    Bullbank have a serious looking Saler bull called Forez but he's €30/straw, i might splash out on a few.

That's a pity, he's a great bull. Have six heifers here in calf to Knottown Roy for the Spring.
    The Bova bull Valliant VTA is Odrans sire, he's a very good bull too. They have a new Saler bull called Manclaux also.
    Bullbank have a serious looking Saler bull called Forez but he's €30/straw, i might splash out on a few.

Was actually looking at that bova bull Manclaux too for the spring .
    If you go the bull bank facebook & go a good bit back along he has photos of his own cows which are Forez.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I had a Ulsan calf last year (out of a heifer) that was excellent..
    If it had been a heifer I would have kept it for breeding.
    He was surprisingly quiet, much more so than most LMs.

What saler bulls gave the breed a bad name?

I've a beguin stock bull here & he is a pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

I wonder is there any Calf's out of Manclaux yet

essgee268 wrote: »
    I wonder is there any Calf's out of Manclaux yet

There’s none recorded on ICBF yet, you would think some should be arriving soon. Have you tried him?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

There’s none recorded on ICBF yet, you would think some should be arriving soon. Have you tried him?

just 1 0n a shorthorn cow but 4 months off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What saler bulls gave the breed a bad name?

I've a beguin stock bull here & he is a pet.

I think it was like the first limousin in the country, the french sent over their nutters in the first load.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

I had a Ulsan calf last year (out of a heifer) that was excellent..
    If it had been a heifer I would have kept it for breeding.
    He was surprisingly quiet, much more so than most LMs.

Ulsan heifer off a zag 1st calver.Parth granddam.She's in calf now to Lm2014. She's quiet.Have 3 Rio cows too and are v quiet.

Advertisement