Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

MeheeHohee wrote:
    Has anyone much experience with calving Knell? Have a muscular Gamin heifer due to calf down to him at 28 months in January, she's on a diet, hopefully calf won't go too big

We have a Knell stock bull here and his quiet as a lamb, by far the quietest stock bull we've had on the place.
    His first calves (9) were born this Autumn and all calved unassisted so far and he was used mainly on 1st time calvers. Nice small calves at birth that shape up well in 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Had few knell calves here this year, few from first calvers and all calved away on their own.
    Have kept one as a replacement, and she's nice and calm

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Royals

See a lot of eby heifers going for big money what are peoples opinions of him as a cow maker?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

I would consider them too small, lacking in milk and calving ability to make good cows but sure he can breed those roany heifers that lads are going mad for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Royals wrote: »
    See a lot of eby heifers going for big money what are peoples opinions of him as a cow maker?

Have an eby here, lovely sweet easy fleshing type. Crosses well on cwi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭White Clover

I have a RIO heifer here that was one of a bunch bought with the intention of fattening her. She's 23 months, dark red and a pure pet. Not over tall, around 430kg.
    If I was to put a Dovea bull on her, what would people recommend? I'm out of touch with AI bulls with a few years. Might be as far on to sell springing as to finish her.

My man is with Munster Bovine now, what bull would people recommend, the heifer weighed 480kg this evening, she did a good thrive since August.

My man is with Munster Bovine now, what bull would people recommend, the heifer weighed 480kg this evening, she did a good thrive since August.

The Lim Moondharrig Knell LM4217 might be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭White Clover

tanko wrote: »
    The Lim Moondharrig Knell LM4217 might be your best bet.

Thanks Tanko.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Gudstock

Anyone watch the sale from Stranolar today?
    Incredible beasts there and incredible prices too. Surely this is a passing fad though? The prices every week at all these different special sales are becoming bonkers surely and there is no money in beef? What are your thoughts on it - is it millionaire hobby farmers or ones with a very good off farm job or something to do with covid and people maybe having more to spend because no foreign holiday or boozing??
    On another note, how are these animals actually bred? Are a lot of them side door jobs and by embryo transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 antrimite

Gudstock wrote: »
    Anyone watch the sale from Stranolar today?
    Incredible beasts there and incredible prices too. Surely this is a passing fad though? The prices every week at all these different special sales are becoming bonkers surely and there is no money in beef? What are your thoughts on it - is it millionaire hobby farmers or ones with a very good off farm job or something to do with covid and people maybe having more to spend because no foreign holiday or boozing??
    On another note, how are these animals actually bred? Are a lot of them side door jobs and by embryo transfer?

I have watched a few of these sales online, mad money being thrown about for some pretty mediocre heifers. They’ll be put in calf to easy calving Lim bulls and cut out the side then a Fresian cow will raise the calf for them. The monopoly money men will flush them to some fancy BB and make their money back that way... I much prefer a nice Sim x heifer with milk and hardiness to be wintered outside, calf and rear a calf herself and do it for 7/8/9 years! But each to their own!

• Advertisement

antrimite wrote: »
    I have watched a few of these sales online, mad money being thrown about for some pretty mediocre heifers. They’ll be put in calf to easy calving Lim bulls and cut out the side then a Fresian cow will raise the calf for them. The monopoly money men will flush them to some fancy BB and make their money back that way... I much prefer a nice Sim x heifer with milk and hardiness to be wintered outside, calf and rear a calf herself and do it for 7/8/9 years! But each to their own!

Your evidently at it a long time, any other words of wisdom. Not much land fit for cows outside on a night like tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Any suggestions from Dovea or maybe PG for an easy calving LM bull to add size to a ped second calfer?

The likes of CWI, LM2014 and LM4217 could be options.

tanko wrote: »
    The likes of CWI, LM2014 and LM4217 could be options.

Went with 2014, looks a good bull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

MeheeHohee wrote: »
    Went with 2014, looks a good bull

Probably the bull that gets the best feed back on this thread.

Has anyone used the AI services Shorthorn bull Annanwater Scotsman? Used him recently on a Sim cow hoping for a nice heifer replacement

DukeCaboom wrote: »

Yeah and some photos of lovely progeny by him.

With quality commercials making going so well at the moment, going to try a few BBs in some of the older big pedigree Limousin cows. Any suggestions of Blues which cross well on lims?
    Have seen good things said about AZL, DBZ, PPS. Seems a lot of the older blue bulls can no longer be got

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

antrimite wrote: »
    Has anyone used the AI services Shorthorn bull Annanwater Scotsman? Used him recently on a Sim cow hoping for a nice heifer replacement

Is that the Eurogene bull?
    If so FIL had 2 great cows off him, loads of milk
    Both had lots of twins and loads of milk to feed them

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Is Ivor the best pick between him, eby and cwi on Dovea?
    Would cwi be more maternal?
    Maybe worth trying all 3 to see how they go

Is that the Eurogene bull?
    If so FIL had 2 great cows off him, loads of milk
    Both had lots of twins and loads of milk to feed them

Yes that’s him, easy calving figures were the main attraction as she’ll hopefully be calving out on the hill herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Sugarbowl wrote: »

Has any one her used him on heifers?

Funnily a buddy here had one Lm2014 calf here this year and she was nuts. I know one swallow & all that but she was his only wild calf in the farm & her mother was always docile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Funnily a buddy here had one Lm2014 calf here this year and she was nuts. I know one swallow & all that but she was his only wild calf in the farm & her mother was always docile.

Have few heifers in calf to him at the moment - Supposed to be easy calved but time will tell! The only thing that has put me off using him is that his docility figures are very poor - only 1 star across breed - so not sure how good he would be for replacements.

The great thing about Ivor is how easy calved he is, had a bull and a heifer this spring off two second calvers and they hardly knew they calved.
    I'd say he'd be fine on heifers. They're light boned but growthy and shapey.
    EBY is a serious bull but you'd want a bit of size in a heifer/cow for him, he can bring great shape and muscle.
    Never used CWI but he seems to be breed leggier taller animals, would be the best of the three to breed heifers.

The Ivor calves here are average for docility, not wild anyway.

Anyone that hasn't tried Gamin ZGM should give him a try, easy calved and serious muscle and shape to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Last four bulls (kept the pedigree lad) went here last weekend, all May calves, two blues & two non ped limos.
    The BZC black lad, while an easy calving bull, was my pick, buyer preferred one of the imousin boyos! Beauty in the eye of the chequeholder so of course I agreed with him :D
    wztzbezm.jpgeFlwmlfm.jpg

I still like Loyal as a heifers bull, the one here is doing a mighty thrive at the moment, fantastic temper too, not overly quiet so he'd not deck ya if you bend over but he loves a scratch & some attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

What are ye’re thoughts on Bivouac from Dovea? Is he as easy calved as his figures suggest?

What are ye’re thoughts on Bivouac from Dovea? Is he as easy calved as his figures suggest?

Yes, big cattle after him but not that shapey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Used him twice, got twins & a heifer calf off a first calving Salers. Sold the twins at 7 months for 1550 I think (honestly can't recall which of the sets last year made what) but this is them at 6 months.
    Keeping the heifers calf for a cow, she had no problem calving at all.
    As said above, plainish but if you've the right animal & don't want something too hard calved I'd work away. I'd put him on heifers if they're framey enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I really liked 2014 calves very easily landed but yea I noticed them a bit sporty round a field. I had three last summer from heifers and one heifer needed a solid pull the other two calved on their own. They got a fair bit of handling yet a few weeks later they’d take you for laps. Sold them on with calves at foot, I was sorry to let them go but needed to sell something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Very easy calving and very short gestation and growth cattle but needs a beefy cow not good on shape

Advertisement