Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

tanko wrote: »
    FZF is the best cow making limousin bull i've used, better than On-Dit i think.
    He breeds powerful cows and real good bulls. He is harder calved than average and lacks a bit of milk, best used on medium sized milky cows.

How did you find him fertility wise. I'm steering towards sa & si cows here and I'm afraid I'm going to miss out on the limousin power. I'd hate in a few years to end up with a crop of calves all hair & zero muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭tanko

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    How did you find him fertility wise. I'm steering towards sa & si cows here and I'm afraid I'm going to miss out on the limousin power. I'd hate in a few years to end up with a crop of calves all hair & zero muscle.

Only used him one year about six years ago, had no problems getting cows into calf with him and his daughters seem to have good fertility.
    Have been using more Sim and Saler than Lim bulls here also the last few years to try and improve the milk situation.
    I think that Saler cows crossed with a CH bull giving those hairy yellow calves are the are the ideal job nowadays.

Only used him one year about six years ago, had no problems getting cows into calf with him and his daughters seem to have good fertility.
    Have been using more Sim and Saler than Lim bulls here also the last few years to try and improve the milk situation.
    I think that Saler cows crossed with a CH bull giving those hairy yellow calves are the are the ideal job nowadays.

King of the ring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thatsfarming.com/farming-news/video-salers-cross-charolais-ticking-all-the-boxes-for-mayo-farmers/
    A lot of middlin calves there, need limousin for the style

Thought the exact same when I watched that video back along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Anyone but Ionesco (ion) straws from Munster/ pg the last time they had them?

I bought 5 at €18 each and 4 used with 4 repeats.
    By comparison, I've used maybe 8 straws from Bova Ai of Gamin and excel and not one repeat.

That's a pity, had an ionesco bull for a few years and he bred serious stuff, really square long calves with good bone in them and plenty of shape, I'd still have him if he didn't go down with tb :(. I'd rate him highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Anyone but Ionesco (ion) straws from Munster/ pg the last time they had them?

I bought 5 at €18 each and 4 used with 4 repeats.
    By comparison, I've used maybe 8 straws from Bova Ai of Gamin and excel and not one repeat.

Used Ionesco back years ago on FR cows for replacement and nearly every straw a calf, the last lot of suckler and ped cows very poor results. Used the last one two years ago on a cow that one straw every year to get in calf and she repeated and held.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

FZF is the best cow making limousin bull i've used, better than On-Dit i think.
    He breeds powerful cows and real good bulls. He is harder calved than average and lacks a bit of milk, best used on medium sized milky cows.

Fzf is a good bull. Bring long cattle that will have power. Not suitable to sell as weanlings though as more growthy than muscular.
    Not easy calved. I'd only use on mature cows. Hardest LM I've calved

adne wrote: »
    Fzf is a good bull. Bring long cattle that will have power. Not suitable to sell as weanlings though as more growthy than muscular.
    Not easy calved. I'd only use on mature cows. Hardest LM I've calved

From what i remember he wasn't easy calved but they weren't that hard pulled, the calves were very long and big framed but didn't have shapey ends and weren't going to get stuck at the hips.
    Only for mature cows alrite but he does breed a serious cow i think.
    Bullbank have him now, don't know if he's still available.
    Dromanig King is a similar type of bull, mightn't be just as hard calved, only have two of them yet tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mereside Favori (FZF)heifers. From Bullbank facebook;

https://www.facebook.com/1655427747827500/videos/411726680229340

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Looking at a bull he is a son of OKH Keltic Handsome, similar to OKH this bull has a calving difficulty on heifers of over 10, I have used OKH a few times on heifers & was happy enough, so do ye in the know think this son of his would be ok.

What is the bulls mothers breeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Looking at a bull he is a son of OKH Keltic Handsome, similar to OKH this bull has a calving difficulty on heifers of over 10, I have used OKH a few times on heifers & was happy enough, so do ye in the know think this son of his would be ok.

Uncle has an OKH bull. His heifer calving difficulty on ICBF is 8.5%. Find him very easy calving and good muscled calves after.

Anyone on here any experience of ballinloan jagerbomb outside of the issues with his pedigree. Stumbled upon a serious bull weanling out of him that can't be registered obviously. Money's a bit strong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Anyone have any Tomschoice jet cows on the ground....what are they like?

Anyone on here any experience of ballinloan jagerbomb outside of the issues with his pedigree. Stumbled upon a serious bull weanling out of him that can't be registered obviously. Money's a bit strong though.

Apart from the issues, I’d be worried about calving.... if I wanted a serious terminal bull and good weanlings but that I could get them out, I’d use dancer....he is proven and no questions over the parents:D

No experience of him but he’s supposed to be a serious terminal bull but not easy calved.
    I suppose he was popular for a reason.
    The calving difficultly would be a worry.
    Are you getting rid of your Lim bull?

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Apart from the issues, I’d be worried about calving.... if I wanted a serious terminal bull and good weanlings but that I could get them out, I’d use dancer....he is proven and no questions over the parents:D

Last bull was by dancer.

No experience of him but he’s supposed to be a serious terminal bull but not easy calved.
    I suppose he was popular for a reason.
    The calving difficultly would be a worry.
    Are you getting rid of your Lim bull?

He's gone, I sold him a few months ago.

And here he is, jagerbomb x on dit x alfy.

• Advertisement

Fair animal, size and muscle. Are you going to use him on heifers?

Fair animal, size and muscle. Are you going to use him on heifers?

I don't know yet. There's something in the back of my head telling me I might live to regret it if I did.

I don't know yet. There's something in the back of my head telling me I might live to regret it if I did.

Serious animal.....I’d be worried by those hips on a heifer.......but he could be one of those bulls who produce small calves. Look forward to seeing pictures of his off spring in time. Best of luck with him

Ha pain has no memory Limestone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭High bike

And here he is, jagerbomb x on dit x alfy.
    Great power in him,what mt is he??

Dickens heifer incalf to Beguin for Feb.

Was plain when I bought her but filled out nicely in the last year.

Vta cow incalf to earp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Vta cow incalf to earp

You’ve good stock
    When they due

You’ve good stock
    When they due

She's due mid March. Bought her as a dry cow and said I'd chance a straw in her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

For easy calving LM - would ye go for Knell from Munster or EBY/LM2014 from Dovea?

Advertisement