Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Do you inseminate 12 hours after standing heat as per non sexed?
    Yes if on in the morning ai in evening.about 10/12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Has anyone got any older calves by the Bova bull Loyal (LM 4184)?
    Do they stay a bit on the small side?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Has anyone got any older calves by the Bova bull Loyal (LM 4184)?
    Do they stay a bit on the small side?

Bull we sold in April was by him, only grew when he was over 10 months &was thriving when we sold him. Mother was tall though.
    Have another this year off a heifer and seems bigger.

Bull we sold in April was by him, only grew when he was over 10 months &was thriving when we sold him. Mother was tall though.
    Have another this year off a heifer and seems bigger.

Would you like him as a bull? I'm thinking of getting some straws, if my AI guy allows me.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Would you like him as a bull? I'm thinking of getting some straws, if my AI guy allows me.

I'd only put him on heifers tbh, there's much better bulls for cows out there imo.
    He gives great calves that pop out easily off a heifer, better than ZAG anyway!

• Advertisement

I'd only put him on heifers tbh, there's much better bulls for cows out there imo.
    He gives great calves that pop out easily off a heifer, better than ZAG anyway!

Ya, it was heifers I wanted him for. It's just with the pedigrees, I don't want to end up with small cows from him.

Ya, it was heifers I wanted him for. It's just with the pedigrees, I don't want to end up with small cows from him.

I've only had two bulls off him so someone else prob has more usage off him which can say better. Here's the heifer with calf when she calved, a framey type. Dunno what he'd be like off smaller heifers.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113351298&postcount=5929

Actually while I'm at it, here's the first Loyal fella too. ERE dam.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113285068&postcount=5903

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Well he's not a tall bull then, the cows off him would have zero scope in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭tanko

Sure if the heifers have any bit of height to them he should throw good calves.
    He’s easy calved, looks decent for milk at the minute anyway and has a very good pedigree.
    He’d be a safe option on heifers, no point destroying a nice heifer with a hard calving bull imo.
    What alternatives are out there
    LM 2014 is easy calved and suitable for heifers, should have a bit of size and nice shape to them but milk mightn’t be great, time will tell.
    Knell should bring size and seems to throwing nice stock but a bit harder calving, should be milk there.

Patsy, here's this year's Loyal bull. He likes the ladies already :D
    He's young & he'll never be a superstar but he's a nice little fella off a heifer.

4YMPS1vh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

Has anyone ever flushed a commercial cow for embryo transfer, just an idea, cost will probaly be through the roof but we have a cow who is head and shoulders above the rest. For the last 3 years she has gotten her calves to 1.7kg p/d at 200 days. Weighing in at 640 kg herself. Just a thought so please be kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever flushed a commercial cow for embryo transfer, just an idea, cost will probaly be through the roof but we have a cow who is head and shoulders above the rest. For the last 3 years she has gotten her calves to 1.7kg p/d at 200 days. Weighing in at 640 kg herself. Just a thought so please be kind.

It’s the same cost whether a PB or commercial
    You’re looking about €750 + AI and depending on success you could get anything from 6-16 embryos

There’s lots of places advertising the service, best give them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Supposedly there is concerns over the legitimacy of a CH bull brought in by their society? Anybody have info on this?

http://charolais.ie/2020/10/06/official-statement-regarding-military/

Supposedly there is concerns over the legitimacy of a CH bull brought in by their society? Anybody have info on this?

http://charolais.ie/2020/10/06/official-statement-regarding-military/
    Have you not heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Have you not heard?

Only saw it cause it was shared by the Charolais society on Facebook. Looked him up on ICBF and he only has 1 generation of parentage which is strange. Is it another Ballinloan Jagerbomb situation or is it more like where did this bull come out of at all with so little known about him?

Have you not heard?

What is this about?

tanko wrote: »
    What is this about?

Only messing....... I've no idea.
    Could be clever marketing? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭893bet

Anyone hear good at reading the Stars and ratings? Could PM the ear tag number.

Have a lovely heifer that I would like to put in calf. She is from ZAG who is gives not very milky daughters which is why I am reluctant. Hoping there might be enough milk coming down the mothers side.

She is a lovely long square LMx heifer. 14 months and already 450 kg I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

893bet wrote: »
    Anyone hear good at reading the Stars and ratings? Could PM the ear tag number.

Have a lovely heifer that I would like to put in calf. She is from ZAG who is gives not very milky daughters which is why I am reluctant. Hoping there might be enough milk coming down the mothers side.

She is a lovely long square LMx heifer. 14 months and already 450 kg I would say.

Send it on there and i’ll Have a gander

I've two young ZAG cows with similar figures to your heifer. They are medium sized, fairly well muscled docile cows but they do lack a bit of milk and you'd know it in their calves. Both of them have good fertility and have gone in calf easily so far anyway. I think ZAG cows would cross well with Simmental bulls.
    If you like the heifer i'd keep her on.

• Advertisement

I see the new PG beef catalogue is out, a few new CH and Lim bulls.

Lapon CH4321 looks decent, anyone tried him?

I see the new PG beef catalogue is out, a few new CH and Lim bulls.

Lapon CH4321 looks decent, anyone tried him?

Where did you see that?

There's a link to it on Agriland beef section.

There's a link to it on Agriland beef section.

Thanks. Here it is;
    https://cdn.agriland.ie/uploads/2020/10/PG-Beef-2021-web-3.pdf

Gas how Agriland have it up before their own website does?

Two Excel (LM4027) calves. Bull on left, heifer on right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Too nice calves there....

Nice calves, will you use Excel again, what's he like for calving?

Nice calves, will you use Excel again, what's he like for calving?

I'll deffo use him again. Both their mothers were AI'd to him again. They are on the small side, so used him to add size and muscle.
    Calving wise, I wouldn't use him on heifers and cows would want to be good calvers, but I wouldn't consider him a hard calver. Definitely worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭893bet

I've two young ZAG cows with similar figures to your heifer. They are medium sized, fairly well muscled docile cows but they do lack a bit of milk and you'd know it in their calves. Both of them have good fertility and have gone in calf easily so far anyway. I think ZAG cows would cross well with Simmental bulls.
    If you like the heifer i'd keep her on.

Below is the heifer I had asked to be looked at.

Zag heifer. 13 months old now. Weighted 405 on the 20 July

Some pictures below which don’t do her justice. Numbers on her for milk are average enough but going to chance her in December.

479-D9-CFA-CC7-F-4413-A06-C-3-A4-F130-AD57-A.jpg

7-EA60-F68-47-D9-4-C2-E-9-BC5-1-D584-C7-DB142.jpg

DF13-A7-D8-63-CA-4-F55-B493-C7-C381834287.jpg

Have a second ZAG also. 12 months old. Weighted 350 in July and throve a lot since. Better numbers milk wise. She is only 12.5% ch! Will put her in calf also.

295-C3-FB6-156-B-4-FE5-BFA3-6-C43513-E32-CE.jpg

86695-E01-E523-4096-8312-A9-ADD2-BA05-CB.jpg

B0-DC48-BA-946-F-4-C1-D-B1-D6-4996-F7031647.jpg

(Field is gone a tad soft....).

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »

(Field is gone a tad soft....).

Every field is soft!

If I had to choose between the two I'd take the Lim, I'm a sucker for a nice deep set tail. :D

Advertisement