Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

No, not got any of them, would be a bit worried about milk there, how's the KJB for milk? We've one here who is topping for milk but her mother is sim bred so there's milk behind her.

I have the same concerns. Her mother doesn't have a very big udder but makes a good job of here calf all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I have the same concerns. Her mother doesn't have a very big udder but makes a good job of here calf all the same.

You could always try her & if you're not happy with her after the first year, ship her off. I know if I had a nice heifer & was unsure & sold her, I'd be sorta wondering if I had done the right thing selling her on the assumption she'd have no milk instead of knowing for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Hi All. I’ve mainly LM X Cows running with a CH bull. Planning to AI few cows with either maternal LM or a SImmental to hopefully breed few replacements.

In your experience do you think the CH crosses better with LM X or SM X?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Hi All. I’ve mainly LM X Cows running with a CH bull. Planning to AI few cows with either maternal LM or a SImmental to hopefully breed few replacements.

Both are ideal to cross with the CH
    As you’ve LM cows I’d go with the SI
    Which is a great cross

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Swings and roundabouts, simmental will bring bone and hair and size, and weight gain, but also big cows, limousin will bring more muscly calfs but lighter, bull calfs off simmental will be discounted compared to limousin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

Has anyone any Cross Liam calves yet looks a nice bull

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

High bike wrote: »

He does alrite and will probably breed nice heifers but what will the bull calves be like. I used KJB a good bit a few yeas ago, he's off Ronick Hawk also, had some nice heifers but the bull calves could be plain enough.
    Have Brooklands Marco on some cows here.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Gudstock

Simmental should bring great docility and milk in. There is a penalty on selling weanling bulls with white faces even if they are good quality, ideally finishing the bulls would be better. I have used Sim bulls for past 4 years and building up Sim mothers in the herd. Great to go in and be able to put your hand on their back without takeoff or kick! There are some Sim bulls that dont throw as many all white faced calves as others (depends on cows too of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Really enjoying these Dovea videos, this is the 6th one they've done for sucklers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cN3Z6BLuWKk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

High bike wrote: »

I've a cow due in 2 weeks. I'll let you know.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Really enjoying these Dovea videos, this is the 6th one they've done for sucklers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cN3Z6BLuWKk

Fine fine cows there,

Fine fine cows there,

Ya serious broody type cows. Those farms shown on that Dovea series though, have some savage limestone land.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

What are the thoughts on sexed semen? Are there any good bulls in ai companies that have sexed.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

I have an angus heifer for ai this morning how would a saler cross with her. I need to try and bring more milk into the herd.

dodo mommy wrote: »
    I have an angus heifer for ai this morning how would a saler cross with her. I need to try and bring more milk into the herd.

A Saler bull is a grand cross on any heifer imo. You might get a black calf with that cross. Which company are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

tanko wrote: »
    A Saler bull is a grand cross on any heifer imo. You might get a black calf with that cross. Which company are you using?

Bova today, what saler would you recommend using out of bova, dovea, progressive in the future. I'd have strong lmx cows but I seem to be running out of milk, I'll probably use si on a few as well any recommendations their.

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Bova today, what saler would you recommend using out of bova, dovea, progressive in the future. I'd have strong lmx cows but I seem to be running out of milk, I'll probably use si on a few as well any recommendations their.

I've used the Bova bull Valliant VTA a bit, have a nice cow off him. They have a new Saler bull called Manclaux, he should be a very good bull but he's unproven yet.
    Have used Highfield Odran SA2153 a lot on heifers, a very good bull but unless your Ai tech has him in their pot he's gone now. Have six heifers incalf to Knottown Roy for the spring, hopefully he'll be good.
    Dovea have Ulsan, anyone who has used him seem to be happy with him.

Curaheen Earp would be my favourite Sim bull at the moment, he breeds medium sized well muscled cows and very good bulls.
    Have some nice calves off Clonagh Frosty King this year also. Bova have some very good Sims but i haven't used any yet.

If your heifer has a bit of size today you could try the Lim Loyal, he seems to be breeding nice heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Moondarrig Knell seems like a good potential LM bull for replacements except that the ICBF docility score is so low. Just wondering if people are finding that his stock are lively in reality?

Moondarrig Knell seems like a good potential LM bull for replacements except that the ICBF docility score is so low. Just wondering if people are finding that his stock are lively in reality?

We only had the one so far. Put him on a salers x heifer who is very quiet and can be easily rubbed. Of all the calves the knell is by far the most nervous and flighty. She will calm over time but won't be kept here. Quality is OK, should have the milk which is the big plus. He is 1 star docility for a reason.

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    What are the thoughts on sexed semen? Are there any good bulls in ai companies that have sexed.

I think CWI sexed semen can be got, €38 a straw iirc.
    I'm sure there a few more, can't think of them at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I've 3 weanling heifers in the shed of him, with 2 Zag & 1 lodge hamlet heifer too. I find Knell very quiet even quieter than Zag. I can handle & rub most of them too. But I feed nuts twice daily & they were walked 3 times daily since birth which has a lot to do with it as well.

I've 3 weanling heifers in the shed of him, with 2 Zag & 1 lodge hamlet heifer too. I find Knell very quiet even quieter than Zag. I can handle & rub most of them too. But I feed nuts twice daily & they were walked 3 times daily since birth which has a lot to do with it as well.

That would be an example of nurture vs nature

I found Knell heifers top quality but flighty. I got rid of them. I have used again but for terminal calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Has anyone much experience with calving Knell? Have a muscular Gamin heifer due to calf down to him at 28 months in January, she's on a diet, hopefully calf won't go too big

If she had a heifer you would be fine but the bulls can be another story. I'd be careful if she was mine and keeping her lean on hay.

Have a nice Knell heifer weanling here and she's very flighty too,if she doesn't settle over the winter in the shed she's for the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Anyone here knowledgeable about Exmoor Galaxy LM5205 from Bull Bank.

This came today. You'd think they'd proof read it. :rolleyes:
    Full of mistakes. Anyone spot them?

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Anyone here knowledgeable about Exmoor Galaxy LM5205 from Bull Bank.

He's a great looking bull with serious breeding in him. Very few calves off him here yet tho. Have you tried Gamin (ZGM), it's hard to look past him for consistently producing top quality terminal Limousin cattle imo and he's very easy calved.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    He's a great looking bull with serious breeding in him. Very few calves off him here yet tho. Have you tried Gamin (ZGM), it's hard to look past him for consistently producing top quality terminal Limousin cattle imo and he's very easy calved.

Put 2 Gamin straws in a pb cow this year and the aul bitch missed,had a THZ straw in the pot so stuck it in her and she's in calf now.Will try Gamin again next year I like him

Advertisement