Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Limousins nowadays are pets compared to what they were thirty or forty years ago. I have a three year old great granddaughter of OEI here at the minute and i'm not looking forward to trying to get her into a trailer to the factory in the next month or two. She wasn't too bad until about six months ago but she's very flighty now. That OEI must have been one crazy yoke.
    I've only used a few Saler Bulls but i've found them quiet so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Ulsan heifer off a zag 1st calver.Parth granddam.She's in calf now to Lm2014. She's quiet.Have 3 Rio cows too and are v quiet.

I’ve a Rio cow here too - one of my best I’d say. Plenty of milk and good temperament.

Are Rio straws still available does anyone know?

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I’ve a Rio cow here too - one of my best I’d say. Plenty of milk and good temperament.

Unfortunately no i think he's long gone. Was a great bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

tanko wrote: »
    Unfortunately no i think he's long gone. Was a great bull.

What a bull is right. Always remember a very plain black lm weanling heifer 300kg €450 I bought in ennis years ago. She had some of the best calves we ever had, when genotyping came in it turned out she was RIO. Always said if id to clone one cow it would have been her.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Sugarbowl wrote: »

Yes they are like pets.Lots of milk and great chars of them
    Gonna try breed a few replacements off this one.She had a lovely IS4 heifer in calf to knell now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I sold a Rio heifer in Ennis mart a few years back. :(
    Anyway ICBF at the time said she had no milk. Mad after when they have rio 5 stars.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Yes they are like pets.Lots of milk and great chars of them
    Gonna try breed a few replacements off this one.She had a lovely IS4 heifer in calf to knell now.

Nothing as good as the CH x SA cross
    Perfect example there
    Don’t have to worry about calving difficulty as much with the SA and the more muscle in the bull the better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

On the CH/SA cross, have a lovely golden, hairy Bivouac heifer off a first calving Ulsan, going to be a keeper I reckon! The Saler heifer was off a pb limo heifer so a nice 3 way breed.
    Find the Salers breed very hairy calves, or maybe it's just cold in Leitrim :D

On the CH/SA cross, have a lovely golden, hairy Bivouac heifer off a first calving Ulsan, going to be a keeper I reckon! The Saler heifer was off a pb limo heifer so a nice 3 way breed.

What age are the sax heifers calving down at to ch at?

Bit of both : - P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

This is my Rio with CH calf - last suck happened this morning. Will dry her off now. Lovely feb heifer calf but will have to sell her I’d say as I’ve my best picked out to keep. Will make a great cow for someone!

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    What age are the sax heifers calving down at to ch at?

That lass was 23 months, one the previous year calved at 22 months to the neighbours CH. Once they're big enough I bull them, regardless of age. Though it helps that I know the history of the cows going back 4/5 generations. If I was buying in, I'd definitely be more cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Does anybody have a price list for the bulls in WWS (Worldwide sires). I emailed them yesterday but heard nothing back yet. Got straws off them earlier in the year but I can’t remember where I seen the prices

That lass was 23 months, one the previous year calved at 22 months to the neighbours CH. Once they're big enough I bull them, regardless of age. Though it helps that I know the history of the cows going back 4/5 generations. If I was buying in, I'd definitely be more cautious.

You've some cojones Haywire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Used Roy here as well this year, had a Feb born PB bull sell last week for 990 at 400kgs. Will Use him again for sure

Was he sold for breeding

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    You've some cojones Haywire :)

Or zero sense:pac:

Ah no, if the dam, grand dam etc had small calves or was fine for calving every year without issue I'd have no worries with an easy ch on a heifer.

Or zero sense:pac:

Ah no, if the dam, grand dam etc had small calves or was fine for calving every year without issue I'd have no worries with an easy ch on a heifer.

If a heifer has good wide hips & pelvis they’ll have no problem

If a heifer has good wide hips & pelvis they’ll have no problem

Yep, the salers & blondes I'd have no worries with throwing anything onto them, I'd be more wary with the limousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

Yep, the salers & blondes I'd have no worries with throwing anything onto them, I'd be more wary with the limousins.

Do blondes make good cows? Are they easily calved and how about milk? I would have thought the wouldn't be easily calved as they are so fine boned.

Do blondes make good cows? Are they easily calved and how about milk? I would have thought the wouldn't be easily calved as they are so fine boned.

Only have 2 of them here but they throw out calves every year with no issue, the KCE cow has grand milk, reared twins last year. The KOY cow isn't great for milk or temper though, was meant to be her last year but had two cows break at 6 weeks so I gave her one chance with a TVR straw & luck was with her as she held. Blue5000 used to have a lot of blondes, he might be able to give a better perspective on them.

They cross very well with limousin or blue.

• Advertisement

Have 1 blonde cow here, BAxHO
    Super cow to calve great wide cow but this cow needs a small muscle bull

Does anybody have a price list for the bulls in WWS (Worldwide sires). I emailed them yesterday but heard nothing back yet. Got straws off them earlier in the year but I can’t remember where I seen the prices

I don't have the list but if you look at the Active bull lists on ICBF.com you can use the Filter tab and then Supplier to look at the WWS Bulls listed and how much they cost. There's eight or nine beef bulls listed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Was he sold for breeding

No he wasn't registered. There isn't a great market for PB Saler bulls out there, you really need an exceptional bull to make it worth registering I think. I'd rather wait and see how the bull turns out and then register him with late fees than try and sell an average bull and think I should be getting 2K because he's registered. Too many PB bulls out there across all breeds in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

tanko wrote: »
    I don't have the list but if you look at the Active bull lists on ICBF.com you can use the Filter tab and then Supplier to look at the WWS Bulls listed and how much they cost. There's eight or nine beef bulls listed there.

Thanks Tanko, tried that but the bulls I’m looking at weren’t coming up there. Lexicon is €20 so I’d say there priced around the sameðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭White Clover

I have a RIO heifer here that was one of a bunch bought with the intention of fattening her. She's 23 months, dark red and a pure pet. Not over tall, around 430kg.
    If I was to put a Dovea bull on her, what would people recommend? I'm out of touch with AI bulls with a few years. Might be as far on to sell springing as to finish her.

I'd go with Ewdenvale Ivor LM 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I have a RIO heifer here that was one of a bunch bought with the intention of fattening her. She's 23 months, dark red and a pure pet. Not over tall, around 430kg.
    If I was to put a Dovea bull on her, what would people recommend? I'm out of touch with AI bulls with a few years. Might be as far on to sell springing as to finish her.

Personally I wouldnt think she's growthy enough but Lm2014 if you were bulling her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭White Clover

Personally I wouldnt think she's growthy enough but Lm2014 if you were bulling her

She wouldn't have had a great do where she came out of. She is well made, will be a 600ish kg cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Only have 2 of them here but they throw out calves every year with no issue, the KCE cow has grand milk, reared twins last year. The KOY cow isn't great for milk or temper though, was meant to be her last year but had two cows break at 6 weeks so I gave her one chance with a TVR straw & luck was with her as she held. Blue5000 used to have a lot of blondes, he might be able to give a better perspective on them.

They cross very well with limousin or blue.

Do you have you have any Landais cows? I have a Landais Maiden heifer out of a KJB cow who herself is out of a PXU cow. Not sure if i will keep her myself

• Advertisement

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Do you have you have any Landais cows? I have a Landais Maiden heifer out of a KJB cow who herself is out of a PXU cow. Not sure if i will keep her myself

No, not got any of them, would be a bit worried about milk there, how's the KJB for milk? We've one here who is topping for milk but her mother is sim bred so there's milk behind her.

Advertisement