Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Thanks patsy, I may learn these linear scores, so according to that, Cerberus would be the longest bull followed by agb?

Edit, can you filter bulls by breed and then the best linear type or do you have to look at bulls individually? Thanks

Yes, of those example I gave, Cerberus would be the highest, LM4027 (Gamin) the lowest.

If you download the Excel file from ICBF, create a table and use the sort function, you can list the bulls in desending order under SKELETAL.
    That's as far as you can go though. You have to look them up individually then. Believe me I've tried everything else.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Take this for lodge hamlet. Is it saying that he's in the top 2% for muscle but scores bad for skeletal and isn't very functional? There by saying you'd want to use him on a big cow that's fairly correct on locomotion?

If his skeletal scores were going to the right it would be saying the opposite, that he would be a big framed bull with size? Thanks

Exactly, hamlet is in the top 2% on muscle but average skeletal and poor functionality. His locomotion is average but he scores very bad on visual assessemnt on his legs. Hind legs are very straight on the side view. Some lads might laugh at that but it is important i fyou want to breed a bull that looks right.

There is a huge amoungt of data there in the Linear Asessment. Well worth looking tru it as a breeder.
    By the way, the graphics are a lot better on a computer than on the phone. Easier make sense of them. Watch the reliability figures too. Very important.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Thanks patsy. That's a night shift or two sorted lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Twototango

Any recommendations for a limousin stockbull sire? Previous stockbulls were by vantastic and foreman. Vantastic a disaster for milk. I sell stock as stores but keep some replacements for calving. Will be purchasing before the spring. Appreciate any knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

Twototango wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a limousin stockbull sire? Previous stockbulls were by vantastic and foreman. Vantastic a disaster for milk. I sell stock as stores but keep some replacements for calving. Will be purchasing before the spring. Appreciate any knowledge.

On-dit stock good for milk. I'm after finally getting a heifer from 10 mereside favori attempts. Gr8 long cattle

• Advertisement

Cerberus if you don't care about stars. Big long muscle machines. Super big females with milk. Stars dropped because females were taking 20/30 days longer to go incalf. If you have a fertile herd you'll have no issues.

adne wrote: »
    On-dit stock good for milk. I'm after finally getting a heifer from 10 mereside favori attempts. Gr8 long cattle

I have heard good things about mereside favori. Did you find him ok for calving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Are on dit heifers not poor for fertility? Had a cerbus heifer here that calved in Feb, beautiful pair with plenty of milk.... Calf died with gangrene in March!?!

Cerberus if you don't care about stars. Big long muscle machines. Super big females with milk. Stars dropped because females were taking 20/30 days longer to go incalf. If you have a fertile herd you'll have no issues.

Cereberus is a sire of foreman as far as I can remember. Would gene pool be getting too tight? . Found foreman bull good for calving though. I have plenty of stars as I also keep a Simmental bull. So that’s not a problem. May be a case that I exclusively keep Simmental heifers if limousin bulls continue to lose milk. I have a fertile herd but vantastic cattle done little to improve that. Most aren’t coming back in calf within the 12 week breeding season. So almost all younger cows are Simmental with older limousin cows thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

If youre going to keep a Sim and a Lim bull in the future would you not be better going for a terminal Lim bull and keep replacements from the Sim.

I put FZF on most of the cows here five years ago. He's harder calved than average, calves are fairly long and big framed when born i found.
    They have more muscle than On-Dit but not as milky i'd say.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    If youre going to keep a Sim and a Lim bull in the future would you not be better going for a terminal Lim bull and keep replacements from the Sim.

I put FZF on most of the cows here five years ago. He's harder calved than average, calves are fairly long and big framed when born i found.
    They have more muscle than On-Dit but not as milky i'd say.

Last year or two I’ve kept about 10 heifers a year, 8 to 9 of them were simmentals. I have a soft spot for a good limousin cow. Almost always guaranteed a u grade store with very little meal. Was just wondering if lads knew of any bull that could be good for terminal and the odd replacement. Otherwise I’ll have to buy one for terminal use only which is probably the wiser route.

Last year or two I’ve kept about 10 heifers a year, 8 to 9 of them were simmentals. I have a soft spot for a good limousin cow. Almost always guaranteed a u grade store with very little meal. Was just wondering if lads knew of any bull that could be good for terminal and the odd replacement. Otherwise I’ll have to buy one for terminal use only which is probably the wiser route.

Your right I forgot that Cerberus was realated to forman. Bavardage is supposed to be very milky and terminal. To me he looks very material and I'm not sure if he'll breed consistent u grade cattle unless he's used on good shape animals. IV a few of him in the pot to use on muscled types. It's hard to get good shape and milk. I'd go all out terminal lim bull and you'll probably have enough milk in a few of your best Sims to keep the Heifers for good cows.

Lodge hamlet and Ivor are similar types of bulls. Almost red Belgium blues with easy calving. I've seen some smashing fourmala one calves. They are small at birth, light boned and heavily muscled.

Ronick Hawk (RKH), Umpire (UPI), Ramses (RMX), Vision (VZN) etc all have milk.

Your right I forgot that Cerberus was realated to forman. Bavardage is supposed to be very milky and terminal. To me he looks very material and I'm not sure if he'll breed consistent u grade cattle unless he's used on good shape animals. IV a few of him in the pot to use on muscled types. It's hard to get good shape and milk. I'd go all out terminal lim bull and you'll probably have enough milk in a few of your best Sims to keep the Heifers for good cows.

Lodge hamlet and Ivor are similar types of bulls. Almost red Belgium blues with easy calving. I've seen some smashing fourmala one calves. They are small at birth, light boned and heavily muscled.

Thanks everybody for the assistance. Only properly calving last 3 or 4 years. Parents were at it before me. Great to get information from experienced campaigners.

Why do you know does Dubai take such a hit off icbf? His dam is a full sister to hawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ramses was a sire to palmerss iirc and pam cows werent hectic milkers out of good cows

Why do you know does Dubai take such a hit off icbf? His dam is a full sister to hawk.

True but look at his sire Objat's figures.
    He has terrible maternal scores.

Ramses was a sire to palmerss iirc and pam cows werent hectic milkers out of good cows

PAM cows here had lots of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

PAM cows here had lots of milk.

Ours are muscly and small in stature with nice tight guts but not very milky

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭valtra2

Going to try a few ch this year. Any recommendations from eurogene.

• Advertisement

I have heard good things about mereside favori. Did you find him ok for calving?

Calves come fairly big off him. I would not put him on a maiden or a 2nd calver. Very consistent stock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

valtra2 wrote: »
    Going to try a few ch this year. Any recommendations from eurogene.

Illusion is bringing nice calves, shortish gestation
    Matt is a full brother to Derryolam Impeccable.
    Filou is bringing good shapey calves
    Then the old reliables Frank & Ulysses

How much are foreman straws making?

€80 on Semenstore.ie

€80 on Semenstore.ie

Dovea are after buying a Foreman bull at the last Roscrea sale, Ernevalley Madison ET. I saw him selling and he's a right smasher. Nicest bull at the sale. A real good walker too. Straws might be more reasonable.
    https://www.irishlimousin.com/2018/10/30/new-heights-reached-in-the-sales-arena-by-all-conquering-carrickmore-maximus-et/

€80 on Semenstore.ie

Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

True but look at his sire Objat's figures.
    He has terrible maternal scores.

He is bringing a nice calf and with objat will have muscle, very hard to get a lim with lots milk and muscle and keep track of icbf figures.

He is bringing a nice calf and with objat will have muscle, very hard to get a lim with lots milk and muscle and keep track of icbf figures.

Oh i agree with that, ive never used Dubai but have heard good things about him.
    If theres Lim bulls that improve milk and muscle id love to know which they are.
    Dromanig king looks good on paper.

A bull I keep going back to look at is kingbull, anyone using him? He looks to have savage breeding, length and muscle.

• Advertisement

Oh i agree with that, ive never used Dubai but have heard good things about him.
    If theres Lim bulls that improve milk and muscle id love to know which they are.
    Dromanig king looks good on paper.

IV 3 Dubai cows I bought this year to calve down in Jan. I'll let you know how they go for milk. The have super length and presence. Nice and square, not to muscled. Just what I like in a cow. Hopefully they will do ok.

Advertisement