Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

Has anyone kept lzf heifers for cows. I am puzzled why he a 5 star maternal bull given he figures say he is poor for milk with ch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

adne wrote: »
    Has

High bike wrote: »
    Has

???

???
    sorry misread ur post thought it was lzr sales bull u were talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Ch4252 caves land Levi? Anyone have calves out of him and what is the quality like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Baalbec10

What ye reckon guys? Have been using predominantly saler and sim the last 3 years so will be all 5 star cows by next spring. Getting to use more terminal bulls for the spring and with finishing in mind have decided on heracles for my mature cows, Ivor for 1st and 2nd calvers, bivouac for my maternal cows, and a mix of Ivor and knottown roy for the heifers to balance out the beef traits. Any advice would be welcomed as the list will change a handful of times over the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    What ye reckon guys? Have been using predominantly saler and sim the last 3 years so will be all 5 star cows by next spring. Getting to use more terminal bulls for the spring and with finishing in mind have decided on heracles for my mature cows, Ivor for 1st and 2nd calvers, bivouac for my maternal cows, and a mix of Ivor and knottown roy for the heifers to balance out the beef traits. Any advice would be welcomed as the list will change a handful of times over the winter.

What sims straws did u use the last few years. Bought a shot today dickens, haribo, sunnyboy and a few escalop.... But I might throw them in the bin incase I use them 15.5% cd

Pidae.m wrote: »
    What sims straws did u use the last few years. Bought a shot today dickens, haribo, sunnyboy and a few escalop.... But I might throw them in the bin incase I use them 15.5% cd
    15% cd jaysus I hope ur good with a calving jack.Anyone any Goldie’s Jackpot calves yet 8.8 % cd?.

15% cd jaysus I hope ur good with a calving jack.Anyone any Goldie’s Jackpot calves yet 8.8 % cd?.

I've a neighbour who is gifted!!

I've a neighbour who is gifted!!
    Fair play I’d be afraid to chance it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

At 15% calving difficulty, they should be giving out free rosary beads with the straws.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

At 15% calving difficulty, they should be giving out free rosary beads with the straws.
    did you try jackpot patsy or hear anything about his calves?

did you try jackpot patsy or hear anything about his calves?

No, slow to go any higher than 7%, to be honest. I've asked the AI guy about jackpot. but he hadn't seen too many from him to give an opinion.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

No, slow to go any higher than 7%, to be honest. I've asked the AI guy about jackpot. but he hadn't seen too many from him to give an opinion.
    im tempted,he looks a proper bull with breeding and figures

Ah jaysus. Delboy is his brother and he is 10%

im tempted,he looks a proper bull with breeding and figures

Ya, I've thought about it too. Foreman his sire. might be a safer bet, but €80 a straw plus ai visit on top of that.
    https://www.semenstore.ie/limousin/products/ampertaine-foreman.html

Ah jaysus. Delboy is his brother and he is 10%

While I have you patsy. Your preferred maternal lm bull for cows and your preferred lm bull for heifers?

Ya, I've thought about it too. Foreman his sire. might be a safer bet, but €80 a straw plus ai visit on top of that.
    https://www.semenstore.ie/limousin/products/ampertaine-foreman.html
    pricey all right how much are the jackpot straws?

pricey all right how much are the jackpot straws?

€55 plus ai cost.
    https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/GOLDIES-JACKPOT

they could be got through Munster so if pg have em

• Advertisement

they could be got through Munster so if pg have em

Ya, foreman would be a safer bet till more is known about Goldies Jackpot, I'd say.

While I have you patsy. Your preferred maternal lm bull for cows and your preferred lm bull for heifers?

Bavardage (AGB) seems a great bull for maternal, but he brings a lot of size and he aint cheap. ZAG or EBY seem to be good for heifers. I've used ZAG but not EBY. Saw some good EBY bulls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

How much were the Sunnyboy straws?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Bavardage (AGB) seems a great bull for maternal, but he brings a lot of size and he aint cheap. ZAG or EBY seem to be good for heifers. I've used ZAG but not EBY. Saw some good EBY bulls though.

Haven’t been impressed by ZAG but I really like EBY

tanko wrote: »
    How much were the Sunnyboy straws?

20 notes each.
    I bought 20 straws for mostly 10euro so I said 5 more at 20 euro ain't going to break me, although I'll bin the 4 escalop straws ;)

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Haven’t been impressed by ZAG but I really like EBY

I think someone back along here said lm2014 was a good a alternative to ZAG

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Pidae.m wrote:
    I think someone back along here said lm2014 was a good a alternative to ZAG

We've been using LM2117 Tomchoice Imperial last couple yrs on heifers and although his calving difficultly is high 8 or 9 % the heifers mostly CHX and LMX have no bother calving them and leave a nice Weanling either bull or heifer compared to the butty Zag. His a short gestation too.

What age are the heifers calving at,30 Mrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

High bike wrote:
    What age are the heifers calving at,30 Mrs?

Calving approx 26 - 30 months about used on over last couple yrs

• Advertisement

Any recommendations lm or ch relatively easy calving for a lm muscly 2nd calver. Most lm bulls seem to be lacking in skeleton figures

Advertisement