Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

That's good to hear,ya I sold him at a sale in tullamore. Can't remember name of the lad that bought him but he rang me a couple of years back saying how happy he was with him

Ya he told me. He was looking for another out of your cow but I think you had her moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 antrimite

Have half a dozen Simx heifers to sync and AI end of November and looking ideas on what to use? Preferably Sim but the aul fella has a notion of a bit of Shorthorn. Used APZ last year on a bunch with mixed results, 2 dead out of 4, the 2 surviving bull calves are thick types and thriving well. Calving ease is a must. All advice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

If you're going Simmental i reckon Lisnacrann fifty cent Si2469 would be a good option, have two nice heifers off Limx second calvers off him here this year.

He seems to be easy calved with short gestation and nice quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

antrimite wrote: »
    Have half a dozen Simx heifers to sync and AI end of November and looking ideas on what to use? Preferably Sim but the aul fella has a notion of a bit of Shorthorn. Used APZ last year on a bunch with mixed results, 2 dead out of 4, the 2 surviving bull calves are thick types and thriving well. Calving ease is a must. All advice welcome

Do you just cidr & AI or do you do something else?
    Thinking of doing some this year

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Anyone any experience using Baverdage? Have seen some progeny and he looks the business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

MeheeHohee wrote: »
    Anyone any experience using Baverdage? Have seen some progeny and he looks the business
    I've one young bull calf here by him and another cow in calf to him. He looks like a good bull to me too. Saw a good few cows by him at the Thomastown dispersal sale a few years back and they all looked good types.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

I hope I have one in calf to him too ,due in April.How did u find him for calving Patsy?

High bike wrote: »
    I hope I have one in calf to him too ,due in April.How did u find him for calving Patsy?

Grand, no bother and cow is very small.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Did u get the on dit straws?

Did u get the on dit straws?

Ya, got 5 at €30 a pop. Didn't use any yet.

• Advertisement

Ya, got 5 at €30 a pop. Didn't use any yet.
    Munster?

Munster?
    Ya. A good bull to have in the pot, I think. One of the old reliables.

Would he be too hard for a maiden?

Would he be too hard for a maiden?

I haven't used him yet but he's well proven now at 5.1%. On a well grown heifer, I'd chance him.

Yeah she's big enough,she'll prob be calving at 28mts

Do you just cidr & AI or do you do something else?
    Thinking of doing some this year

We have only used the sync process as past 3 years due to having high number of daughters and grand daughters off our stock bull, the first year we used cidr and only 1 of 6 went in calf, last 2 years have used prid with a lot better results... definitely recommend the prid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭squinn2912

We've done cidr and it had poor enough results too. What is the difference with Prid? I'd be green enough with it. Can anyone give me a fool's guide?
    Also what type of bull is APZ? I entered that into ICBF and I think 3 fresians came up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

squinn2912 wrote: »
    We've done cidr and it had poor enough results too. What is the difference with Prid? I'd be green enough with it. Can anyone give me a fool's guide?
    Also what type of bull is APZ? I entered that into ICBF and I think 3 fresians came up!

Curaheen apostle simmental bull

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

CIDR and PRID are same thing just different brands except there is marginally higher progesterone concentration in PRIDs. CIDRs label changed this year so now only vets can administer strangely so if doing it yourself should be PRID.

For a fools guide basically the more injections there are in a program the more tightly synchronized the ovulation will be for fixed time AI. If you just put in a PRID for 8 days, inject Prostaglandin(Estrumate) on day 7. Remove PRID day 8 and observe for heat there will be quite a spread in when they come in. If you don't have time for heat detection you require a program with more injections to get them lined up for fixed time AI. More injections = more money.

Other factors such as cows body condition score and days since calving and whether she had a hard calving are even more important to consider before spending money

CIDR and PRID are same thing just different brands except there is marginally higher progesterone concentration in PRIDs. CIDRs label changed this year so now only vets can administer strangely so if doing it yourself should be PRID.

For a fools guide basically the more injections there are in a program the more tightly synchronized the ovulation will be for fixed time AI. If you just put in a PRID for 8 days, inject Prostaglandin(Estrumate) on day 7. Remove PRID day 8 and observe for heat there will be quite a spread in when they come in. If you don't have time for heat detection you require a program with more injections to get them lined up for fixed time AI. More injections = more
    Other factors such as cows body condition score and days since calving and whether she had a hard calving are even more important to consider before spending money

Thanks a million all clear now!

• Advertisement

Curaheen apostle simmental bull

Dunno why he didn’t come up. Won’t use him again

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I've used APZ before... stone mad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Used fifty cent, look short when calved, but OK now. Quietest animals on ground this year and great thrive.

I think we have 2 50 cent calves. They were both very strange looking when born I thought there was a shoulder deformity but they grew into two good chunks and nice quiet animals. 2 bulls though wanted heifers

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I've used APZ before... stone mad!!

The two we have are actually not too bad, mothers are both very quiet!

50cent seems to be throwing good stock!

A lot of men wouldn’t be keen on APZ for replacements, heifers can have poor pelvis and lack milk.

The last apostle one we had got it very hard to calve to an easy lim that the rest of the cows spit out. She was well mannered enough but got shockin noisey. Milk was grand but out of a milky cow herself. Think she made £1780 or £1750 with the calf at 9 weeks. Boys in the mart were mad for her and in fairness she’d have been a good upgrade on a lot of cows

What lim bulls have you found to be good breeders for length? IV a few nice long Heifers and I really don't want to loose the length as it can be hard to breed back in iykwim. Thanks

What lim bulls have you found to be good breeders for length? IV a few nice long Heifers and I really don't want to loose the length as it can be hard to breed back in iykwim. Thanks

Have a look under 'Linear TYpe' tab on the ICBF bull search function. It will give you the Length percentile there. Any bull high on skeletal values, will tend to have high length values too.

For example;
    XGL - 76% Length percentile
    AGB - 90%
    LM4027 - 80%
    WGE - 99%

Have a look under 'Linear TYpe' tab on the ICBF bull search function. It will give you the Length percentile there. Any bull high on skeletal values, will tend to have high length values too.

For example;
    XGL - 76% Length percentile
    AGB - 90%
    LM4027 - 80%
    WGE - 99%

Thanks patsy, I may learn these linear scores, so according to that, Cerberus would be the longest bull followed by agb?

Edit, can you filter bulls by breed and then the best linear type or do you have to look at bulls individually? Thanks

• Advertisement

Take this for lodge hamlet. Is it saying that he's in the top 2% for muscle but scores bad for skeletal and isn't very functional? There by saying you'd want to use him on a big cow that's fairly correct on locomotion?

If his skeletal scores were going to the right it would be saying the opposite, that he would be a big framed bull with size? Thanks

Advertisement