Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

pure breed wrote: »
    Is that Tomchoice Imperial? Have a Weanling heifer here debating whether to keep her. Great shape but bit worried about milk? She is off a CH cow.

Ironstone. S.Hit picture. But is a cracking quiet heifer, should have plenty of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ironstone not very poor for docility?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've an Ironside bull here and he is very quiet. Outta very quiet cow though.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Who2

Who2 wrote: »
    I have that heifer moving back today for calving. Getting a bit nervous as she hasn’t grown much. Do I need to be worried? His cd is nearly 9% now.

Calved down today . Heifer calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ordered Goldies Jackpot only yesterday for a rew pedigrees. I would have thought at 50 a pop on diy he would be a bit pricey for commercials. On the point what straw price limit would everyone put on for the commercials?? Tend to stick between 5 and 10 euro myself with the odd few 12 euro ones.

How did Goldies Jackpot work out for you?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Just weighed the bulls today. Adg 1.46. Top performer is zkf then lm4007then zag then sff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

valtra2 wrote: »
    Just weighed the bulls today. Adg 1.46. Top performer is zkf then lm4007then zag then sff

Have you used Kilbride Farm Dragoon much, he's a serious looking bull, was going to get a few straws when he was €16 but didnt, they're €50 now i think.
    Any bother with calving him.

tanko wrote: »
    Have you used Kilbride Farm Dragoon much, he's a serious looking bull, was going to get a few straws when he was €16 but didnt, they're €50 now i think.
    Any bother with calving him.

No problem calving. Had 3 straws left this year and all 2 repeated. Have used curheen earlap and Antrim bodybuilder this year so will see. Have a few more lm4007 he has impressed me. Trying to find a good bb bull have tried sff geu and ceq but would like to get recommendations on better ones without to much calving difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

No problem calving. Had 3 straws left this year and all 2 repeated. Have used curheen earlap and Antrim bodybuilder this year so will see. Have a few more lm4007 he has impressed me. Trying to find a good bb bull have tried sff geu and ceq but would like to get recommendations on better ones without to much calving difficulty.
    Keep us updated on how bodybuilder goes

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

Hi. How do they rate on quality of offspring. Quality send to beat weight currently.

• Advertisement

reps4 wrote: »
    Hi. How do they rate on quality of offspring. Quality send to beat weight currently.

I will tell you next week. They are heading to mart

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

I will tell you next week. They are heading to mart

Best of luck!

Have used Earp a bit here, he's not a bad bull at all but i think i prefer Direct debit. Going to try Frosty King next year, have you used him?
    As for blues have you tried DBZ, not hard calved and good quality, would work well on bigger cows i think.
    All things considered i still think its hard to look past Fiston when choosing a bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Have used Earp a bit here, he's not a bad bull at all but i think i prefer Direct debit. Going to try Frosty King next year, have you used him?
    As for blues have you tried DBZ, not hard calved and good quality, would work well on bigger cows i think.
    All things considered i still think its hard to look past Fiston when choosing a bull.

Did you keep that Earp heifer off my girl?
    Dad put bzc bb on a few of his cows this year, I used Torres & jks on a second calver & older, low muscley cow.

Yeah kept her, will put a Saler on her next summer hopefully.
    Those last two blues dont look too easy calved.

You need to be around for jks anyway. Can come big.i only had one in calf this year but she threw the calf, but a mate put him on a few and would be well used to a jack and said he had an awful pull on a massive cow.

Calved down today . Heifer calf.

Nice looking calf, is she fairly big, did you have to help the heifer with calving.
    Ive heard good things about Gunshot, no horns to be done also which is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Nice looking calf, is she fairly big, did you have to help the heifer with calving.

One of the nicest Heifers I thought yesterday was by gunshot. Not a huge thing to go by but still. I'm going to use him this year he has savage breeding behind him.

Big enough calf for a heifer, good shape for a sh si cross. I thought she would be better marked, but healthy and lively so happy out. She needed a slight pull more so as the heifer seemed lazy on the pushing more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

You need to be around for jks anyway. Can come big.i only had one in calf this year but she threw the calf, but a mate put him on a few and would be well used to a jack and said he had an awful pull on a massive cow.

Cow that has JKS on has never had a big calf, no matter the calving difficulty she throws out little ones. Second calver with Torres is a blonde, mother had small calves too & she farted out a saler bull this year so hopefully no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

One of the nicest Heifers I thought yesterday was by gunshot. Not a huge thing to go by but still. I'm going to use him this year he has savage breeding behind him.

Did ya sell in ballymote yesterday?

Did ya sell in ballymote yesterday?

Ya, poor enough trade but that's the year that's in it.

Ya, poor enough trade but that's the year that's in it.

Ya it was middlin enough, they were your calves up on done deal? They were nice ones

Ya it was middlin enough, they were your calves up on done deal? They were nice ones

Ya that was them. Thanks. Hard to know what to do. I'm running a Ch bull over my cows next spring. I'll only ai a few cows with SIM for replacements. Hard to beet the orange Ch in good times or bad.

Ya that was them. Thanks. Hard to know what to do. I'm running a Ch bull over my cows next spring. I'll only ai a few cows with SIM for replacements. Hard to beet the orange Ch in good times or bad.

Ya there hard bet alright. That glebefarm Tyson bull that sired the dams of your heifers. Did you have him or did ya buy in them cows? I bred that lad- small world!

Ya there hard bet alright. That glebefarm Tyson bull that sired the dams of your heifers. Did you have him or did ya buy in them cows? I bred that lad- small world!

Ha that's gas. No I bought them in as Heifers. You probably know off who. You sold him at a sale I think? No matter how hard I culled this year I couldn't bring myself to cull any of his. He left outstanding stock behind him that are unreal fertile, milky, quite and calve them selves. The lad I brought them off has a good few too and reckoned that he was a once in a lifetime bull that done everything right and clicked with nearly every cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Lads can anyone tell me If lm2116 TOMSCHOICE IRONSTONE is polled? Either he is or I need to have a chat with my AI man. Cheers

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Lads can anyone tell me If lm2116 TOMSCHOICE IRONSTONE is polled? Either he is or I need to have a chat with my AI man. Cheers

Doubt it, no mention of that in the book anyway.
    Until last year had a white CH cow that was 12.5% Angus. None of her 8 CH and Lim calves had horns.
    Its funny how the polled gene works sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Doubt it, no mention of that in the book anyway.
    Until last year had a white CH cow that was 12.5% Angus. None of her 8 CH and Lim calves had horns.
    Its funny how the polled gene works sometimes.

Tis i suppose i must give her a closer examination later. Shes HO (12.5%), BB (25%), LM (50%), UN (12.5%)
    So maybe that 12.5% has some Angus in it. God only knows. Shes genotyped an all.

• Advertisement

Ha that's gas. No I bought them in as Heifers. You probably know off who. You sold him at a sale I think? No matter how hard I culled this year I couldn't bring myself to cull any of his. He left outstanding stock behind him that are unreal fertile, milky, quite and calve them selves. The lad I brought them off has a good few too and reckoned that he was a once in a lifetime bull that done everything right and clicked with nearly every cow.

That's good to hear,ya I sold him at a sale in tullamore. Can't remember name of the lad that bought him but he rang me a couple of years back saying how happy he was with him

Advertisement