Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

This is a Commander (APM) heifer from teh recent Castleview/Roundhill sale that made €3,600. She would be a very typical commander heifer shape wise.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

This is a Commander (APM) heifer from teh recent Castleview/Roundhill sale that made €3,600. She would be a very typical commander heifer shape wise.

Thanks, ya she looks like a smasher. These are going to be big framed types so I'm hoping commander would suit them. Hoping a bull would be a good seller by him and if I get a heifer she would do the job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I’m not convinced about on-dit, I used him on two abi cows and was not happy with the bulls, would be wary of him as a stock bull unless you had a very even bunch of cows that would suit him. Was talking to a few other breeders and the common thing I heard was that the bulls were hard finished. He has serious figures but maybe a better cow maker than a bull maker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I’m not convinced about on-dit, I used him on two abi cows and was not happy with the bulls, would be wary of him as a stock bull unless you had a very even bunch of cows that would suit him. Was talking to a few other breeders and the common thing I heard was that the bulls were hard finished. He has serious figures but maybe a better cow maker than a bull maker

Would agree with that. You'd want muscle and beefiness on the cow side.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Would agree with that. You'd want muscle and beefiness on the cow side.

True and the cow wouldnt want to be tall either.
    I see any bullocks i sold off him took 28 or 29 months to finish.
    I think FZF is a better bull, more muscle to them. He's harder calved and lacks a bit of milk tho.
    ZCH is a savage bull but not exactly easy calving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

tanko wrote: »
    True and the cow wouldnt want to be tall either.
    I see any bullocks i sold off him took 28 or 29 months to finish.
    I think FZF is a better bull, more muscle to them. He's harder calved and lacks a bit of milk tho.
    ZCH is a savage bull but not exactly easy calving.

Have 2 ZCH here. Stone clean mad... never again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

adne wrote: »
    Have 2 ZCH here. Stone clean mad... never again

Im surprised to hear that.
    Only had one a few years ago off a flighty enough cow, he was a pet, quiet as a lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has anyone used inverlochy Fergie S1381 & what’s your thoughts?

Has anyone used inverlochy Fergie S1381 & what’s your thoughts?

Friend used him allot and likes him. I'm not a huge fan. Leaves them a bit raw. I'd say you would want a bit of shape to the cow.

Friend used him allot and likes him. I'm not a huge fan. Leaves them a bit raw. I'd say you would want a bit of shape to the cow.

Looks a nice bull in the pic, but on closer seams leggy

• Advertisement

Looks a nice bull in the pic, but on closer seams leggy

Ya he brings them a bit tall. Notting wrong with them just not for a very plain cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Plan on using him this year on the pb cow. Bull might be a touch too high on the cd% though now that i think of it
    Progeny are Long, Clean Cattle with Exceptional Muscling & Style
    Huge Terminal Index Combined with Carcass Weight & Conformation
    Use on Plainer Type Pedigree Cows for Best Results.
    Are You on about the same bull never wrestle with pigs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Vdt cow
    On dit calf bought yesterday.
    Calf a bit hungry

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Vdt cow
    On dit calf bought yesterday.
    Calf a bit hungry

Nice pair. Was it just a normal sale. You can pick up some bargains at them . bought a lovely springer 2 yr old 700kilos 1380 last year. She was worth that dead never mind on point of calving

Nice pair. Was it just a normal sale. You can pick up some bargains at them . bought a lovely springer 2 yr old 700kilos 1380 last year. She was worth that dead never mind on point of calving

Private. She's dirty so I'll split them. Heard ennis was on the floor, good stock worth 1800 only making 1300 all brought home.
    Any word on gortatlea last night??
    Great sucklers for sale in macroom tomorrow awful sad story behind them. The older cattle were there a few weeks back, epic stock sold not so dear.

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Private. She's dirty so I'll split them. Heard ennis was on the floor, good stock worth 1800 only making 1300 all brought home.
    Any word on gortatlea last night??
    Great sucklers for sale in macroom tomorrow awful sad story behind them. The older cattle were there a few weeks back, epic stock sold not so dear.

Dirty?

Dirty?

Cyst

Plan on using him this year on the pb cow. Bull might be a touch too high on the cd% though now that i think of it
    Progeny are Long, Clean Cattle with Exceptional Muscling & Style
    Huge Terminal Index Combined with Carcass Weight & Conformation
    Use on Plainer Type Pedigree Cows for Best Results.
    Are You on about the same bull never wrestle with pigs

Just what I've seen from him, only about 10 pedigree bulls and heifers from bigger plainer type cows off Jupiter etc. They were tall and very long but just missing that muscle or wow factor you'd like to see in them. Cd isn't great with him on icbf but the same lad is having no issues calving him.

Just what I've seen from him, only about 10 pedigree bulls and heifers from bigger plainer type cows off Jupiter etc. They were tall and very long but just missing that muscle or wow factor you'd like to see in them. Cd isn't great with him on icbf but the same lad is having no issues calving him.

Are Jupiter cows more suited to smaller wider well muscled bulls

Are Jupiter cows more suited to smaller wider well muscled bulls

Well muscled yes,but dont think we should aim to breed small cattle either

• Advertisement

Bulls of him will have a high enough cd ehich ismr what buyers really want

Bulls of him will have a high enough cd ehich ismr what buyers really want

Ya he got it a bit hard to shift them but moved them all the same. The likes of fiston crosses well with a big raw cow and it's what is in fashion at the moment. I've a lovely young cxy bull for next spring. A little bit short but savage lean muscle on him and not to heavy boned. Hopefully he'll be a good weanling maker off SIM cows.

Ya he got it a bit hard to shift them but moved them all the same. The likes of fiston crosses well with a big raw cow and it's what is in fashion at the moment. I've a lovely young cxy bull for next spring. A little bit short but savage lean muscle on him and not to heavy boned. Hopefully he'll be a good weanling maker off SIM cows.
    Do you keep many?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Who2

Who2 wrote: »
    I just put iceberg on a ion heifer and a nin heifer. Got greedy and stuck gunshot on a sh heifer by jfz. Here's hoping for a heifer calf.

I have that heifer moving back today for calving. Getting a bit nervous as she hasn’t grown much. Do I need to be worried? His cd is nearly 9% now.

Do you keep many?

No, I've no pedigree Ch, about 35 cows, a few pedigree Simmental and a few pedigree lims, the rest are near pedigree SIM cows.

Who2 wrote: »
    I have that heifer moving back today for calving. Getting a bit nervous as she hasn’t grown much. Do I need to be worried? His cd is nearly 9% now.

From 583 calvings only 5 scored 3 or 4 for very hard calving. He was used across a good few breeds too. He has a long gestation of 290 days. That could be from being used on a good few lims, hard to say. I wouldn't be to worried if she's not to fat. If she starts and the feet are huge and no movement I'd just ring the vet for the side Door.

From 583 calvings only 5 scored 3 or 4 for very hard calving. He was used across a good few breeds too. He has a long gestation of 290 days. That could be from being used on a good few lims, hard to say. I wouldn't be to worried if she's not to fat. If she starts and the feet are huge and no movement I'd just ring the vet for the side Door.

5 per cent
    From 86 calvings on heifers...8% were hard...i think youll be alright

Tomschoice heifer calving in Feb. Cost 840 as a wealing last year

Pick of the summer calves. Stock bulls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Pidae.m wrote:
    Tomschoice heifer calving in Feb. Cost 840 as a wealing last year

Is that Tomchoice Imperial? Have a Weanling heifer here debating whether to keep her. Great shape but bit worried about milk? She is off a CH cow.

Advertisement