Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it... I've just used Strava a couple of times (from iPhone) and I've found it doesn't agree with my polar 200. E.g. 1
    Distance: polar 46.9 strava 49.3
    Max speed: polar 49.3 strava 85.9
    Calories: polar 1974 strava 1010

E.g. 2
    Distance: polar 39.7 strava 41.8
    Max speed: polar 43.9 strava 49.5
    Calories: polar 1552 strava 846

I've never really trusted calorie measurements anyway but I guess the polar would be more accurate as it is reading hr and cadence as well as speed and distance. What about the speed and distance though, why the variances? The 85.9kph is definitely wrong by the way :)

The gps on the iphone is fairly crap, and it will often record anomolies with speed, altitude or indeed location. One lad on boards recently travelled to Africa and back in 90 or so minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Inquitus wrote: »
    The gps on the iphone is fairly crap, and it will often record anomolies with speed, altitude or indeed location. One lad on boards recently travelled to Africa and back in 90 or so minutes.
    Dammit, I thought I had a record on Sunday when I ran to Sally Gap and back (and then did a lap of Firhouse) in 31 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Jebus - Strava segment "Johnny Fox- Kilternan" (descent) has been "marked as hazardous" now :(
    I'm a ridiculously cautious descender, but liked to track my slow progress

• Registered Users Posts: 44 alanjgalbraith

Seems quite a few of segments in Dublin are being marked in the past few weeks Strava Blog states "Any Strava member who feels a hazard designation has been made in error can notify Strava Support using the “report abuse” link.".
    I already reported this route as incorrectly reported as hazardous.... I generally use my brakes if I find a road hazardous and let everyone else do their own thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Jebus - Strava segment "Johnny Fox- Kilternan" (descent) has been "marked as hazardous" now :(

Either of these two great websites will allow you to see segment leaderboards marked as hazardous -

http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/segmentDetails.php
    http://raceshape.com/

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Either of these two great websites will allow you to see segment leaderboards marked as hazardous -

http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/segmentDetails.php
    http://raceshape.com/

;)
    Thanks - I remember trying these out before, but they don't seem to work for me now. Also, I don't know if they display personal time lists (as opposed to general leaderboards)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Can't see how it is hazardous - single road the whole way down. I like that stretch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

For those who have access to a Wattbike, the following site allows .dat transfer to .tcx to allow your sessions on to strava, haven't used it myself yet but it may be of use to some:
    http://wattbike2garmin.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Looks like Garmin are now on Strava ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Here's another one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

-K2- wrote: »

It would be good if there was a display on hazardous segments that showed the reason a user gave for it being hazardous. At least you could argue against it. But then I guess it's all subjective anyway.

Sure just create a new identical segment. :D

-K2- wrote: »

Now that is just stupid - why the hell is it marked hazardous... I suppose every road in the country should be marked hazardous - jeez, standing at the traffic lights is hazardous... Where is my cotton wool filled room?

I would only mark segments as hazardous if they 'force' a rider to ride through a yield junction/lights etc... No need on a continuous segment of road to be hazardous

buffalo wrote: »
    It would be good if there was a display on hazardous segments that showed the reason a user gave for it being hazardous. At least you could argue against it. But then I guess it's all subjective anyway.

Sure just create a new identical segment. :D

Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

There is an easy fix to this. One person's opinion shouldn't conclude what is hazardous, I'm sure someone who finds descending at over 35 km/hr would find Stocking Lane "hazardous".

Strava should only mark a segment as hazardous if a fixed percentage of the riders who have ridden that segment report it as such. If 20% of the people who ride Stocking Lane find is hazardous, then I could accept that. One guy going along and marking every segment as hazardous for unexplained reasons (maybe even some f**ked up Strava "troll"!) really grinds my gears.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Given that someone's family is suing them after they were killed trying to take a downhill KOH, I guess it's not surprising they're clamping down on people racing descents on open roads.

If you want to track your own times, create a private segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Did anyone record their Ring of Kerry ride last weekend? I tried to but Strava went mad. Apparently I started in Cavan and cycled over the sea at a top speed of 215km/hr. Now I'm not saying I didn't, and although I can't remember a lot of the cycle, I'm sure something like that would have stuck in the mind.

My suspicion on "hazardous" segments is that it's people ragequitting when their KOM gets stolen or when they can't get near the top of the table no matter how hard they try.

As someone else also mentioned, it may be the case that someone intends on flagging a ride as erroneous (i.e. Garmin left on in the car) and flags the segment instead.

I like the idea of having multiple people flagging a segment before it is actually flagged. Maybe, the first flag puts up a message for people who have actually rode the segment to take a vote... Also, only premium members should be able to flag segments (make troll entry more difficult and not anonymous)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

I like the idea of having multiple people flagging a segment before it is actually flagged. Maybe, the first flag puts up a message for people who have actually rode the segment to take a vote... Also, only premium members should be able to flag segments (make troll entry more difficult and not anonymous)

That's exactly what needs to be done.
    If your ride passes through a flagged segment you get asked if you consider it dangerous, if the segment gets a certain number of negative votes then fair enough it gets pulled.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Done years ago by Boardsie g0g who wrote his name in the Phoenix Park IIRC. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Some climbing :eek:

He's completed the week long "Rapha Rising Challenge" in one ride. :eek:

http://app.strava.com/rides/13483413

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

jimm wrote: »
    Done years ago by Boardsie g0g who wrote his name in the Phoenix Park IIRC. :D
    Indeed it was!!! And I didn't have the benefit of roads - just guessed on a football pitch! :) Granted I wasn't the first either though! Would love to see some bigger ones done in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Strava missed a segment on my cycle last weekend: "Lovers Leap (Poggio)" - linky - on the approach to Eniskerry in Wicklow. And I think I know why: Too much canopy cover from the trees at this time of the year leaving my phone-based GPS unable to see all the satellites accurately. Strava excluded this segment because my recorded trail didn't match the original segment accurately enough. Probably assumed I was cheating by taking shortcuts?

I would'nt mind, but I might have got a personal best on the day :(

EDIT:

Just checked it manually with my recorded cycle on the day by zooming in to the same piece of road the segment is on (link) and I don't think I missed out - I reckon I would have recorded a dismal 3:21. Interesting to compare the segment "profile" Vs what I recorded on the day - the start of the segment I recorded is well to the right of where it should be.

route66 wrote: »
    Strava missed a segment on my run last weekend: "Lovers Leap (Poggio)" - linky - on the approach to Eniskerry in Wicklow. And I think I know why: Too much canopy cover from the trees at this time of the year leaving my phone-based GPS unable to see all the satellites accurately. Strava excluded this segment because my recorded trail didn't match the original segment accurately enough. Probably assumed I was cheating by taking shortcuts?

I would'nt mind, but I might have got a personal best on the day :(

Funny that, I cycled through the same segment on Saturday and it also failed to register. AFAIK it needs 70% of the GPS points to register.

Having said that there's no way I was anywhere near my fastest up it so no concern!

I wonder does the Strava app keep logging your time even when it loses cover?

You would think they could devise a fix for that such that if it loses GPS cover, it would keep timing and then "rebuild" your route when the cover comes back, tracing it along the roads.

Obviously this would only work effectively for road biking and road running, but if they even added it as an option like, "Insert missing segments", that could be cool.

Though it wouldn't be fair to allow you to claim KOMs on this basis without the actual data. So you'd still not appear on the segment for Poggio :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭One_Time

If you raise a TT through their online support and include the ID of your ride and the segment they can sometimes manually match them (granted it's probably only worth your while if you got a really good time - haven't had many occasions to try them out myself yet :P)

https://strava.zendesk.com/anonymous_requests/new

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

route66 wrote: »
    Strava missed a segment on my cycle last weekend: "Lovers Leap (Poggio)" - linky - on the approach to Eniskerry in Wicklow.

I had the same problem with that segment last week with my Garmin 500 - wouldn't mind but I really bust my gut up it!! I'm sure I did a PB....:rolleyes:

C3PO wrote: »
    I had the same problem with that segment last week with my Garmin 500 - wouldn't mind but I really bust my gut up it!! I'm sure I did a PB....:rolleyes:

Check it out manually - it'll give you a reasonable idea of how you did.

• Advertisement

Went out last night and this time Strava had no problem recording the "Lovers Leap (Poggio)" segment - different day, everything else the same. :confused:

On another Strava related note, I also did the "Glencree Valley anticlockwise Loop" on my cycle last night. Except I didn't (Strava segment actually recorded). Persuaded by references to "The Wall" in another thread, I diverted from my normal segment to give it a go*. So why does Strava not count some segments when my GPS misreads by a meter or 2 and allow a segment to be recorded when it is obviously way out?

I'm guessing that accuracy at the very start and end of a segment is critical, with the stuff in the middle not being so important.

* I have since been told, I only did half the Wall - Strava has 3 segments covering different parts of it :eek:

Advertisement