Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

buffalo wrote: »
    ............ KOHs .......

...I think I may be addicted to Strava. Is there a cure?

Clearly not that addicted, there is no need for medicine/psychotherapy........yet !! :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

D.Collins is really putting the miles in ...over 7,500 in two spins :D
    http://cosmocatalano.com/strava/club_leaders/329/#

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

colm18 wrote: »
    D.Collins is really putting the miles in ...over 7,500 in two spins :D
    http://cosmocatalano.com/strava/club_leaders/329/#

Well at least he's not messing up the climbing stats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Anyone know what the PR medals are about? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

jaqian wrote: »
    Beating yourself. Personal best times.

• Advertisement

The 'My Segments' tab is a bit fooooked up for me atm, several segments are showing up a bit weird !!!
    eg. the Kilworth-6km-climb.
    It's showing up as Distance=0km, AvgGrade=0%, Speed=0km/h !!!!

Is this happening to others or is my acc just gone mental ??!! :eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

The 'My Segments' tab is a bit fooooked up for me atm, several segments are showing up a bit weird !!!
    eg. the Kilworth-6km-climb.
    It's showing up as Distance=0km, AvgGrade=0%, Speed=0km/h !!!!

Is this happening to others or is my acc just gone mental ??!! :eek::confused:

Appears to be just that segment.

I don't know whether it's a recent thing but I find Strava ridiculously inaccurate for longer segments! I've made a few for regular training rides that I do but Strava will include other rides that are even vaguely similar as being part of that segment!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

C3PO wrote: »
    I don't know whether it's a recent thing but I find Strava ridiculously inaccurate for longer segments! I've made a few for regular training rides that I do but Strava will include other rides that are even vaguely similar as being part of that segment!
    They did it with my Swords TT "KOM/CR" last week - because it was out and back they found someone who had turned about a kilometer earlier and gave it to him

It seems to me that they only do this when they find a slightly more direct route (so I've set a few which include the Lusk by-pass for example, but they include rides going through the village also - they don't do it the other way round though)

Beasty wrote: »
    They did it with my Swords TT "KOM/CR" last week - because it was out and back they found someone who had turned about a kilometer earlier and gave it to him

It seems to me that they only do this when they find a slightly more direct route (so I've set a few which include the Lusk by-pass for example, but they include rides going through the village also - they don't do it the other way round though)

I got lazy recently and took a 10kms short cut on a regular spin - that ride is now KOM by about 25 minutes on my previous best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

RT66 wrote: »
    jaqian wrote: »
    Beating yourself. Personal best times.

I have the opposite, on a 10 mile TT segment near Black Bull. Except when I did it, I went out, turned left and went 2km off the road, marshalled, then the 2km back, and down the course again. Still counted, and puts me very far down the list.

Appears to be just that segment.

No, on my acc I have several segments with the same missing data ?!

Also I seem to be missing a 'tab' on My Segments, I just have Created Segments & Segment Preferences ?!

I updated my name recently, would that have fceked up the data ?!

No, on my acc I have several segments with the same missing data ?!

Also I seem to be missing a 'tab' on My Segments, I just have Created Segments & Segment Preferences ?!

I updated my name recently, would that have fceked up the data ?!

http://app.strava.com/segments/1184258 is broken as well, but most segments (picked at random) are okay. Drop support an email maybe.

I only have those two tabs on My Segments - what do you think is missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

C3PO wrote: »

This is the official line:
    I looked at the segment plotting it and see it is an out and back configuration. The problem with segment matching in this configuration is it is hard to tell if they complete the full segment after the rider passes the start and end points. They could go straight through and that would be a match. It is a poorly designed segment to say the least.
    Here is some complete information about segment matching limitations:
    https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20950148-segment-matching-issues
    Here is a portion about this specific issue:
    Out and Backs
    Another issue that can come up with our segment matching algorithm is turnaround points. Out and backs can also cause false matches if you go past the turnaround point to turnaround or if you turnaround prior to the turnaround point but have completed at least 75% of the out and back. It is currently not possible for our segment matching system to detect these details.
    My suggestion is that you ride straight through that stretch and create a new segment from your ride data and make it public. People that ride directly through from start to end will match that new segment. Although, some may match the crazy out and back segment that already exists.

The crazy out and back that they are referring to is the Woodgreen circuit which will be well no known to the testers amongst you. I'll just get Cycling Ireland to declassify the route as an official circuit so that it meets Strava's segment matching principles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye the criteria for completing a segment are that the start and finish points are passed and 75% of the points of reference on the route. Its a shame that this buggers some out and backs up....but then I guess its no more irritating then the people who leave their GPS on for the drive home!

http://app.strava.com/segments/1184258 is broken as well, but most segments (picked at random) are okay. Drop support an email maybe.

I only have those two tabs on My Segments - what do you think is missing?

Phew, so it's not just me, it seems like a glitch in their system so.
    Maybe they're upgrading their software/system/storage etc ?!

edit: I've requested them to look into it and I'll update ye with any info I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

http://app.strava.com/segments/1184258 is broken as well, but most segments (picked at random) are okay. ...
    I created this segment and just noticed the issue myself on Sat when I was setting up a new one from another location.

(My new segment, made from a lap extracted from a Sat ride, took until today to get associated with the full ride entry and with my older entries over the same route, which may suggest that things are also slower than usual on the Strava servers...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Any freebie codes knocking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Has anyone else had trouble with the Dam Hill on the way out to coachford this morning?
    I rode it this morning knowing I put a decent time in but it didn't recognise it.
    Before I get onto them I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I love when people create random segments that give you a "KOM". Apparently the quickest time you can make it from the canal bridge in Rathmines to the Terenure College gate is 7:52, and I did it :D

I can only guess that the traffic was light, being July, and I got green lights all the way.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

seamus wrote: »
    I love when people create random segments that give you a "KOM". Apparently the quickest time you can make it from the canal bridge in Rathmines to the Terenure College gate is 7:52, and I did it :D
    It's even better when you create a segment yourself to take a KOM, as AFAIK, you can't identify who actually creates them

The real challenge is when you know you've done a fast time, but you want it to be notified to all your followers as such - you then have to scurry around for an earlier ride over the segment before uploading your own;)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

It's even better when you create a segment yourself to take a KOM, as AFAIK, you can't identify who actually creates them

The real challenge is when you know you've done a fast time, but you want it to be notified to all your followers as such - you then have to scurry around for an earlier ride over the segment before uploading your own;)

Strava meets Foursquare, perhaps? "Person x., just took your Strava KOM". :)

brasshead wrote: »
    Strava meets Foursquare, perhaps? "Person x., just took your Strava KOM". :)

Or "Beasty, you are no longer mayor of Lusk bypass"?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Speaking of foursquare, I'm the mayor of the Sally Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Going off on a tangent, the InstaCrown is coming, for real-world visibility

Back to the present, the Kilworth and Ballyedmonduff S segments are working (have non-zero distances) again :)

RT66 wrote: »
    Or "Beasty, you are no longer mayor of Lusk bypass"?
    Phew!! You had me worried there ....

I actually see Lusk as best avoided, hence my obsession with its bypass;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Phew!! You had me worried there ....

I actually see Lusk as best avoided, hence my obsession with its bypass;)

A picture is up in our village of a fella who is very alike you as a recognised sex offender. They all know now why you avoid it!

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    A picture is up in our village of a fella who is very alike you as a recognised sex offender. They all know now why you avoid it!

I heard that everyone in the village looked alike so one pic was enough for the lot of them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Knockmaroon Hill

"This segment has been flagged as hazardous."

Really?

Advertisement