Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

-K2- wrote: »
    Knockmaroon Hill

"This segment has been flagged as hazardous."

Really?

That was mentioned a few months back.
    Want to see it anyway? Here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    A picture is up in our village of a fella who is very alike you as a recognised sex offender. They all know now why you avoid it!
    RT66 wrote: »
    I heard that everyone in the village looked alike so one pic was enough for the lot of them. :)

I heard all the local fathers banded together to put up the photo after none of their kids, looked like THEIR kids :cool: You auld dog you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

I heard that everyone in the village looked alike so one pic was enough for the lot of them. :)

Just as well I don't originate from there so!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's very easy to flag a segment when you are intending to flag a ride (as potentially done in a car) - I suspect that's what has happened here, looking at how much faster the "KOM" is than everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Jeez, that Eoin Morton lad doesn't hang around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lumen wrote: »
    Jeez, that Eoin Morton lad doesn't hang around.
    I'm not sure what's worse; That he drove to do a very easy spin in the hills, That he left his speedo on for the return journey, or that he did only 60km/h down the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not sure what's worse; That he drove to do a very easy spin in the hills, That he left his speedo on for the return journey, or that he did only 60km/h down the M50.

He clearly doesn't like toll bridges either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

haha! Can we rename the thread to "stalking Eoin Morton" ? :pac:

-K2- wrote: »

Haterz be hatin', studentz be rollin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I had a few notifications when I logged in recently, and they were all of the "Uh oh!" type, ........."damn", I thought to myself !

So I clicked in to see the damage, and it looks like someone is on a mission to get some KOM's !! So few km's, but so many KOM's........
    /weird :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I had a few notifications when I logged in recently, and they were all of the "Uh oh!" type, ........."damn", I thought to myself !

So I clicked in to see the damage, and it looks like someone is on a mission to get some KOM's !! So few km's, but so many KOM's........

Is he driving to those segments? :eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You can report suspect KOMs. They remove them if they think they are dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

colm18 wrote: »

Never mind "driving to" them ..... is he driving up them? :rolleyes:

colm18 wrote: »

That's what I thought initially, but I think he's just stopping/starting his GPS.
    You can report suspect KOMs. They remove them if they think they are dodgy.

I don't think they're suspect, just a bit weird the way all the segments were 'attacked'. It's just a bit abnormal, ie. normally people go out for a cycle and take on a segment or two (or 10) :pac:
    So it looks like he was well informed and he's no beginner either (sure fair play to him!).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

C3PO wrote: »
    Never mind "driving to" them ..... is he driving up them? :rolleyes:

if he is, he's driving a rubbish car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

It's possible he could be doing the segments as part of longer rides, then just uploading selected bits containing the segments to Strava, for privacy. (Easiest way with a Garmin = make a lap while riding, extract it with GTC, then upload that)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's possible he could be doing the segments as part of longer rides, then just uploading selected bits containing the segments to Strava, for privacy. (Easiest way with a Garmin = make a lap while riding, extract it with GTC, then upload that)

You used to be able to edit the bits on the ride you wanted to put up before it was posted, not sure if its still available.

CramCycle wrote: »
    You used to be able to edit the bits on the ride you wanted to put up before it was posted, not sure if its still available.
    Yes, think I've used that too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

He's using the iPhone App. I have used the Android app which is practically the same. You can basically view segments on the phone on a map, cycle up to start, start the clock, stop it at the end of the segment and upload it there and then to see if you got the KoM. Would be a handy way of going out and trying specifically to pick up KoMs. Would also allow you to go round and try again if you narrowly missed out.

Inquitus wrote: »
    You can basically view segments on the phone on a map, cycle up to start, start the clock, stop it at the end of the segment and upload it there and then to see if you got the KoM. Would be a handy way of going out and trying specifically to pick up KoMs. Would also allow you to go round and try again if you narrowly missed out.

If there is a line, that sort of behaviour is well over it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

New Open Street Map Data and MapBox Maps coming to Strava

This could be an interesting development. Apparently Google Maps are now too expensive... Didn't realise sites had to pay to use google maps...

I've always liked the Open Cycle maps, definitely prefer them to the Google Terrain maps, wonder will these be included on the strava website.

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »

OSM FTW. Or in non-acronym language, open street map is great. If you don't think they're great, use your GPS data to improve things in your area. Great initiative, and fantastic to see it work well in Ireland.

But without a satillite view(?) it's not easy to choose segment ends or to identify the ends of existing ones
    (+The MapBox thumbnails don't even show the routes in my account now, although that may be a temporary glitch on Strava's part)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    New Open Street Map Data and MapBox Maps coming to Strava

This could be an interesting development. Apparently Google Maps are now too expensive... Didn't realise sites had to pay to use google maps...

I've always liked the Open Cycle maps, definitely prefer them to the Google Terrain maps, wonder will these be included on the strava website.

A lot of the smaller roads in my location (rural Meath) are not shown on Open Cycle Map.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

macnab wrote: »
    A lot of the smaller roads in my location (rural Meath) are not shown on Open Cycle Map.
    You'd better move to Dublin then ...

macnab wrote: »

Well once you ride them, you'll have a GPS trace. You can upload that to OSM, and then draw a road over it. Et voilà!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Strictly speaking you don't even need a GPS trace, you can just draw roads over the satellite view, but it helps if you know the area well.

Just make sure you 'draw' the roads really wide, and hence negate the dredded GPS 'drift' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Beasty wrote: »
    You'd better move to Dublin then ...

ha ha, tried that, now back home where I belong. Now I just need to get the job to move to Meath too....but then my commute would be too short....swings and roundabouts:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it... I've just used Strava a couple of times (from iPhone) and I've found it doesn't agree with my polar 200. E.g. 1
    Distance: polar 46.9 strava 49.3
    Max speed: polar 49.3 strava 85.9
    Calories: polar 1974 strava 1010

E.g. 2
    Distance: polar 39.7 strava 41.8
    Max speed: polar 43.9 strava 49.5
    Calories: polar 1552 strava 846

I've never really trusted calorie measurements anyway but I guess the polar would be more accurate as it is reading hr and cadence as well as speed and distance. What about the speed and distance though, why the variances? The 85.9kph is definitely wrong by the way :)

Advertisement