Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

CptMackey wrote: »
    Just after joining strava there. It should keep me motivated for the winter training. 1 question tho, I have seen segments in my area that I want to have a go off. I have an edge 500. Do I just cycle thru the segment on a spin and it will pick off the segment on strava site or do I need to start it recording at the start of the other guys segment?

Yes, Just record your entire ride, and Strava will match up all the segments you pass through when you load the activity when you return home...

Sweet. Will make it a bit easier. I presume that I can create my own segments in a similar way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

CptMackey wrote: »
    Sweet. Will make it a bit easier. I presume that I can create my own segments in a similar way?

Yes - it's easy. Just do the cycle, upload the data and then go into your account on the website. Click on Actions -> Create new segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

hey,

is it possible to do simular to MapMyRide and browse roads/rides to plan a route on your PC?

I just want to pic a route/distance for a spin, but the map my ride gradings of hills seem different to strava?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Have you tried:

http://www.bikely.com
    http://ridewithgps.com
    http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com

You can plan a route on any of them and upload the completed ride to strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

603504_3609415126467_809455095_n.jpg

Was rather upset when I got this email :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Has anyone done any of the routes in Ballyhoura? Did the 2 shorter loops last weekend and there are a good few segments up on Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

Anyone have any free codes? :) About to run out of premium !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not sure if this is the right thread but I was wondering for people who use an iPhone to record strava cycles with an iPhone how do they recorded their heart rate/cadence?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

godtabh wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread but I was wondering for people who use an iPhone to record strava cycles with an iPhone how do they recorded their heart rate/cadence?

I use my SMRTphone, as far as I know you can buy ANT+ adapters for iphone which should be able to pick up Garmin HRM and Cadance monitors.

Found here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-iphone-ant-adapter-and-garmin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

You can't as far as I know. Either get a HRM like Polar and add it later or buy a Garmin. Iphone will just go the basics well enough for you; route, distance, speed, elevation and I wouldn't take too much heed in watts or cals burned. I've discovered it recently and it's great fun on your commute, afterwards of course :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks

The more I think about it I dont think I like the idea of the iphone as a cycle computer.

At the moment I am just recording runs but I'd like more data but I dont want to put the iphone at risk (ie its safe in my pocket)

I think ideally I want a HRM with GPS that can hook up to a cadence sensor. Expensive I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think ideally I want a HRM with GPS that can hook up to a cadence sensor. Expensive I'm sure!

£185 + shipping.

Garmin Edge 500 Heart Rate Monitor & Speed Cadence
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2337/garmin-edge-500-heart-rate-monitor---speed-cadence--010-00829-01-

At the moment I am just recording runs but I'd like more data but I dont want to put the iphone at risk (ie its safe in my pocket)

I have my phone in my pocket and it workd fine, safe so lons as I don't come off but it saps battery quite quickly (you'll get a little over 4 hours from a full charge), unsure what the iphone is like.

Edge 500 is the more popular, I got one and would recommend it but if you want one for running as well, Polar are renowned for there quality HRMs, and you can get the GPS in a watch from them so it will be cross compatible with the running, the Garmin would need an additional arm mount or something to that effect. Search the Cycling Adverts section, there was a high end polar, going for 200, basically unused, with HRm and cadence, I think the RRP for it was 400 so it was great value but I couldn't afford it. I had the polar for work and found them very reliable but the unit I had was sans GPS.

Apologies, no GPS but does have an altimeter for climbing: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79008172

EDIT: According to Amazon you can buy a GPS unit for it.

No GPS unit with it so for what you want the Edge is a better buy, it also comes with the slightly rubbish free online software rather than their protrainer 5 software which is far superior in its capabilities in my opinion.

I linked to the wrong version. There is a GPS version as well

To many choices

I linked to the wrong version. There is a GPS version as well

To many choices

I suppose the question should be is it for cycling only?

Solution: EDGE 500

Is it for cycling and running?

SOLUTION: Polar CX range

Garmin are better known for there GPS, Polar for there HRM, I have found slight differences but not enough to put me off using either.

I have found the edge great for cycling, and incredibly easy for strava users as it has an option to upload direct from Garmin devices, polar though should not be much more difficult, you just need to know where its stored on your PC and upload directly from file. AFAIK, EDGE 500 will win in the opinion polls around here but you can wear your polar as a watch if you don't have one already.

I presume I was no help whatsoever :pac:

i want to use it for both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

If you'll use it predominantly for cycling, I'd say buy the edge 500.

• Advertisement

i want to use it for both

YOu could try the forerunner range from Garmin, that covers both, they don't have all the options of a EDGE 500 but they are designed for both running and cycling, you can also buy a wrist attachment for the 500 but it would probably look a bit odd, the edge 500 won't work as well in your pocket.

No matter what you pick, there will be drawbacks unless your minted. The polars look nicer as far as watches go IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

colm_gti wrote: »
    If you'll use it predominantly for cycling, I'd say buy the edge 500.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    YOu could try the forerunner range from Garmin, that covers both, they don't have all the options of a EDGE 500 but they are designed for both running and cycling, you can also buy a wrist attachment for the 500 but it would probably look a bit odd, the edge 500 won't work as well in your pocket.

No matter what you pick, there will be drawbacks unless your minted. The polars look nicer as far as watches go IMO.

If your using it for both running and cycling I would look at the 310xt

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-310XT-Heart-Monitor/dp/B0025VKUPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347281566&sr=8-1

It is a multisport watch designed for triathletes so is better for cycling than the forerunners Cramcycle linked to. Bigger screen and better battery life and you can mount it on the stem.

I have its predecessor a forerunner 305

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-305-Wrist-Worn-Personal/dp/B000FMQ296/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_5

with a quick release kit for the bike

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Quick-Release-Kit-forerunner/dp/B000ONDECY/ref=pd_sim_ce_3

It was a lot cheaper when I bought it last year only paid around €125 and the 310xt was closer to €300 at the time, its been discontinued but you may still find it cheaper. Does nearly everything the 310xt can main differences water resistant vs waterproof and you can't mount it on the stem and it looks like its from the 1990's. It looks clunky but it is actually very light and comfortable to wear on the wrist.

If I was buying now I'd get the 310 unless I could find the 305 cheap. There is a newer 910xt but its a lot dearer and lots of reports of problems with it.

Money no object Edge for the bike and a Forerunner for running. I may yet get an Edge for the bike and keep my 305 for running main thing I don't like is that I can't mount it on the stem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

"Y'up for this one, Mav....."

Skratch Labs World Championship Challenge

"Can you ride 455 miles (732km), the cumulative distance raced by Skratch Labs athletes Taylor Phinney, Tim Duggan, and Evelyn Stevens during the 2012 UCI Road World Championships?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Challenge accepted \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Strava hits Achill island, and a 104.2% gradient....!

app.strava.com/rides/23507541

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

seve65 wrote: »

There are two other similar anomalies between Achill Sound and Keel. Includes a 100m ascent in 0.15km. You should see my power output for that stretch :pac:.Their elevation data for Achill seems to be totally screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

I reported a section of road that had this stupid 105% gradient on it and they just deleted the whole segment and my KOM with it so don't report :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

The claims made for this South Dublin segment aren't very dramatic, but considering it's almost flat, the average gradient value of 14.3% seems a bit, eh..steep

http://app.strava.com/rides/21850948#390214187

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

seve65 wrote: »

Aye it tough alright Seve65, I nearly had to use the small chainring . . . . :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Just uploaded to Strava for the first time. (Garmin edge 500 - happy birthday to me etc etc)

Very impressed with my 4528 VAM on the "Carrickbrack Rd Climb" segment, although I can't say I actually noticed the 131m high hill that seems to be on it. Only managed 4400 on the second time up.

Back to a more normal/accurate 693 for the climb from sutton fc to the Irish times sign (the boards howth hill climb).

So anyone got any freebie codes for premium?

Advertisement