Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí struggling to pay bills - AGSI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

latenia wrote: »
    Revenue District 480 in O'Connell St. I left about 8 years ago but I believe they've reorganised on geographical lines in the meantime. Anything to do with garda tax went through there-medical expenses, credit union dividends, top slicing relief, sections 23 and 50 etc. You could use your detective skills and ask some of your older colleagues about it.

A garda can retire at any age they want.

I'm sure you know many, many more gardaí than me but how many of their tax returns have you seen? Most people don't discuss their personal finance with work colleagues.

By medical expenses I presume you mean Med 1's? Most medical expenses are covered by St. Pauls so its not likely that alot of Gardai go to the bother of filling in Med 1 forms as well in my experience
    Credit Union dividends are meagre in most cases and they apply to non Gardai as well as Garda members!

Section 23 - Tax relief on residential property in designated areas (like holiday resorts) possible I suppose

Section 50: Relief similar to Section 23 except in deals with student accomodation, expenditure incurred in renting accommodation to students can be written off against the income earned sure that is the same for any rented property you write off the maintenance against the income

Giving it snazzy names to confuse the poor coppers now are you? :D

Personally as an accountant who has actually done tax returns for Gardai I have never heard of "revenue district 480"
    People's revenue returns are sent to the district offices based on their geographical area i.e. Limerick deals with Clare, Limerick & North Tipp
    (and I've been doing tax returns for individuals for more than 10 years)

As for the retirement age, yes you can retire at any age PROVIDED you have done 30 years service
    It should be remembered though that the life expectancy of a Garda is less than the average joe soap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Ok fine yeah. I registered 6 years ago and made over 1000 posts so I could pretend I used to have a job to make a point in some bullshit thread. Can't get nothin' past the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Angelfire9,

You should be in the Garda and he should stay at home and babysit.
    You are bloody deadly, well done again. You are the complete spoofer detector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

A wife plus children is an expense that I will never take on. Most people my age are married by now and some have children. Not I because I realised they would be cramping my style. Instead I can afford to live like a playboy in a poor country about a month each year.

Maybe if you had taken other decisions when you where younger you would have more money at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

whiteonion wrote: »
    A wife plus children is an expense that I will never take on. Most people my age are married by now and some have children. Not I because I realised they would be cramping my style. Instead I can afford to live like a playboy in a poor country about a month each year.

Maybe if you had taken other decisions when you where younger you would have more money at the end of the month.

each to their own, right?

• Advertisement

Only one month each year? :)
    What do you do with the other €9,900 you have spare annually?
    if my husband's wages hadn't been cut by over €100 a week i'd have more money at the end of the month and there's no maybe about that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Take it a step further and ask the starving in Africa what it would be like to have the dole money!
    bet they would rather the gardai wages

[QUOTE=angelfire9;71847445
    It should be remembered though that the life expectancy of a Garda is less than the average joe soap[/QUOTE]

working life i presume

working life i presume

Ha ha
    Actual life expectancy is 5-8 years less than average

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

bet they would rather the gardai wages

If they were to get garda wages they would need to qualify and work as gardai however with social welfare they can continue doing nothing and get help and I doubt they would be spending it in the pub!

• Advertisement

I'd say he is terribly jealous.
    Probably failed the entrance examination for the Garda.
    there cant seriously be an entrance exam for the gardai, its definetly not intelligence based probably more along the lines of wheres your father stationed or did he retire early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

a rank and file Garda only getting 40k + overtime?

http://www.kernel.dk/smallest-violin.jpg

there cant seriously be an entrance exam for the gardai, its definetly not intelligence based probably more along the lines of wheres your father stationed or did he retire early

Yeah yeah yeah yeah same old same old

When will the begrudgers get it into their heads that Gardai are not "as thick as planks" as offy so eloquently put it
    There is a stringent process for acceptance including an appitude test and 2 interviews as well as a fitness test

Once Gardai qualify they undergo Continuous Professional Development with courses at Templemore see here:
    http://www.gardacollegelms.ie/file.php/1/Frontpage_images/College_Courses_2010/CPD_Courses2.html#_Toc262467280
    a rank and file Garda only getting 40k + overtime?

http://www.kernel.dk/smallest-violin.jpg
    29k nett after 11 years service
    Overtime is non existent at the moment and yes they do get allowances but people ought to remember that when you are at home in your bed asleep tonight or any other night including Christmas, New Year & Easter the Gardai are out on the streets and roads keeping it safe for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

angelfire9 wrote: »
    people ought to remember that when you are at home in your bed asleep tonight or any other night including Christmas, New Year & Easter the Gardai are out on the streets and roads keeping it safe for you

like with the multiple thread about people being terrorised by gangs of youths in their estate, and the Gardai doing nothing about it?

like with the multiple thread about people being terrorised by gangs of youths in their estate, and the Gardai doing nothing about it?

Referring to the thread in relation to the young lad from Bray are you?
    The thread where Boardsies told him to fight back if he is being bullied or take up martial arts and kick the crap out of them?
    After Hours is not supposed to be a bastion of common sense to be fair but that takes the biscuit!

I amn't aware of other threads at present but even if I were I think I'd leave it for the Gardai who post here to respond to operational issues as that would not be my place

Ha ha
    Actual life expectancy is 5-8 years less than average
    suppose thats what hapens when you spend your day sitting in a car eating free burgers and chips

suppose thats what hapens when you spend your day sitting in a car eating free burgers and chips

The life expectancy is likewise lower for fire fighters
    What is your smart ass excuse for that one? :rolleyes:

Yeah yeah yeah yeah same old same old

When will the begrudgers get it into their heads that Gardai are not "as thick as planks" as offy so eloquently put it
    There is a stringent process for acceptance including an appitude test and 2 interviews as well as a fitness test

Once Gardai qualify they undergo Continuous Professional Development with courses at Templemore see here:
    http://www.gardacollegelms.ie/file.php/1/Frontpage_images/College_Courses_2010/CPD_Courses2.html#_Toc262467280

29k nett after 11 years service
    Overtime is non existent at the moment and yes they do get allowances but people ought to remember that when you are at home in your bed asleep tonight or any other night including Christmas, New Year & Easter the Gardai are out on the streets and roads keeping it safe for you
    people speak as they find

The life expectancy is likewise lower for fire fighters
    What is your smart ass excuse for that one? :rolleyes:
    what about farmers, construction workers, lorry drivers and many more low paid jobs without the added benifits and the requirement to do some actual work

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fighterman

A ridiculous press release from the Guards that deserves ridicule.

120 gardai are living beyond their means. Boo hoo!

The sense of entitlement in the public sector unions is absolutely breathtaking.

• Advertisement

people speak as they find

In my experience, some people are like sheep, they follow the crowd!

The most fervent critics of the Gardai are those who have had run ins with them

The press often has stories praising Gardai but these are over looked as criticism is more popular!
    THE brother of the 36 year-old man who died tragically in Killaloe at the weekend, when he accidentally reversed his car into the canal, has praised the courage of the gardai and emergency services who tried to save him.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/brother_of_limerick_accident_victim_praises_emergency_services_1_2189972

TWO Canadian tourists were amazed at the professionalism and courteous nature of Garda after their car was broken into in at Kells Priory in Kilkenny
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/tourists_praise_thomastown_garda_237_for_help_after_theft_1_2174861
    The Minister for Justice, Michael McDowell, has praised the bravery of the two gardaí who were stabbed while responding to reports of a robbery in north Dublin last night.
    Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mcdowell-praises-bravery-of-gardai-after-dublin-stabbing-211668.html#ixzz1KQWTDo6t
    GARDAI were highly praised by the FBI last night after one of its most wanted men was arrested in France yesterday for the 1998 sniper killing of abortion doctor Barnett Slepian.
    James Kopp (46) had a $50,000 bounty on his head when he was finally caught yesterday in the village of Dinane, in Brittany France
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fbi-praise-gardai-as-most-wanted-man-is-captured-353610.html
    THE most senior garda officer in Limerick has paid tribute to a colleague who was injured by armed criminals as they attempted to evade arrest.
    The wounded member of the Emergency Response Unit (ERU) underwent surgery to his face yesterday after he was struck by an open door of a Toyota Avensis which was rammed off a country road by gardai on Wednesday.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/praise-for-garda-hurt-on-duty-2198126.html
    A JUDGE yesterday praised a garda who is set to retire after 30 years of work with young offenders.
    Judge Elizabeth MacGrath led tributes at the Dublin Children's Court to Garda Pascal O'Brien who "broke down the barrier" between gardai and young offenders
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/praise-for-garda-who-was-backbone-of-childrens-court-2291799.html
    A GARDA has been praised for going "beyond the call of duty" when he arrested an armed robber who threatened to shoot at him twice within minutes of carrying out a raid on a Dublin pharmacy.
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/courts/garda-gets-praise-for-tackling-armed-thief-1444704.html
    A Salthill Garda is being praised for braving freezing sea waters last night to rescue a man who entered the sea in Lower Salthill.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/6159-praise-salthill-garda-involved-sea-rescue

Different parts of the country, different Gardai, same result

what about farmers, construction workers, lorry drivers and many more low paid jobs without the added benifits and the requirement to do some actual work

Are you saying that farmers, construction workers etc have a lower life expectancy?
    No they don't
    They have a high risk profession perhaps but life expectancy after retirement is average for most professions outside of the emergency services and that is a fact!

fighterman wrote: »
    A ridiculous press release from the Guards that deserves ridicule.
    120 gardai are living beyond their means. Boo hoo!
    The sense of entitlement in the public sector unions is absolutely breathtaking.
    We are not talking about a sense of entitlement
    We have shown (more than once) the nett income of the Gardai has been decimated by cuts and the facts are that some of them are having trouble making ends meet as a result

What do you do for a living yourself? :cool:

Are you saying that farmers, construction workers etc have a lower life expectancy?
    No they don't
    They have a high risk profession perhaps but life expectancy after retirement is average for most professions outside of the emergency services and that is a fact!

We have shown (more than once) the nett income of the Gardai has been decimated by cuts and the facts are that some of them are having trouble making ends meet as a result

two points just cause you call it a fact doesnt make it true. and second point is that everybody is taking home considerably less money and or struggling but most havent got the reassurance of a secure job for life and a nice pension

two points just cause you call it a fact doesnt make it true. and second point is that everybody is taking home considerably less money and or struggling but most havent got the reassurance of a secure job for life and a nice pension

There is a link back on this thread somewhere of an FBI survey of life expectancy for police officers post retirement off the top of my head its somewhere in the region of 5-8 years less than average

In response to your "job for life" comment, Gardai can be disciplined and indeed sacked for having civil debts which is a big difference from the private sector
    A Garda cannot take a second job
    A Garda cannot go to court & plead the poor mouth
    A private sector worker can do both

A nice pension is only a nice pension if you live long enough to enjoy it!

No they don't

I think decimated is stretching it. A reduction obviously but still more than enough to get by. I still believe there is a huge sense of entitlement in this press release, which refers to a small percentage of the workforce who overstretched themselves. Their pay comes from tax revenues, which are down, ergo there is less money to pay them.

fighterman wrote: »
    I think decimated is stretching it. A reduction obviously but still more than enough to get by. I still believe there is a huge sense of entitlement in this press release, which refers to a small percentage of the workforce who overstretched themselves. Their pay comes from tax revenues, which are down, ergo there is less money to pay them.

Standard pay down by over €100 a week in some cases
    Overtime is extinct
    That is more than a "little" cut

And we are not talking about a small percentage
    There are LOTS of Gardai in a similar position
    And we are not talking about guys with 2/3 houses they don't deserve sympathy
    I'd be talking about guys with an average mortgage and average expenses that are literally living hand to mouth every week

Overtime is extinct

I'd be talking about guys with an average mortgage and average expenses that are literally living hand to mouth every week

The average weekly pay for a Garda was 837.87per week in 2008 it was 1,207.24 per week or 62776 per year (CSO).

As it's an average salary there are obviously guards on much less than this and guards on much more than this. Even after a reduction of about €5k this is still a very good salary would you not agree? Having your income 'decimated' is losing your job, not the reduction suffered by the guards.

Pay comes from Revenue, Revenue down, Guards salary down. What do the Gardai want? That they be exempt from cuts. Whiny press releases such as this let down the Guards as a force, of which there are many fine members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Overtime is extinct

I'd be talking about guys with an average mortgage and average expenses that are literally living hand to mouth every week[/QUOTE]

apparently so are 700k+ other people in Ireland according to credit union survey , that will only rise as Ireland has created one the highest personal debt ratios in the world ,what makes you think life should be different for gardai ?

In every type of job in Ireland, there are people in this situation. Do the Hairdressers Union of Ireland issue a press release stating that certain of their workforce are having difficulty meeting mortgage repayments as take home pay is down as the economy is in decline?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

What do you work at yourself fighterman?

Advertisement