Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí struggling to pay bills - AGSI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Well after coming back from a day out collecting the rent. Went for a skip of free pints in the local after and have just bet the wife up to bed. I log in here and my god this is amusing. Where do I start

That is a lie, the pubs are closed!! :D
    Why do you keep harping on about this. I posted a link, have a look at it.
    How do I burn 320 euro petrol in a month. Ok Ill try and explain as simple as I can.
    Right you have this thing you call a car. Now the car has a thing called an engine. This engine requires petrol to run it. Im not sure of the technical issues with this(maybe one of the engineers can explain) Anyway this petrol costs money. So you call into a place called a petrol station and a nice man will fill the car with petrol for you. Sometimes he even lets you do it yourself. The problem with this nice man is he wants money for this petrol. €1.55 a litre at the moment. So you drive out of the petrol station and the more you drive the more petrol the car uses. My car does about 30mpg. I live 35miles from my place of work. That 70miles to and from work. Ok, you following me. Thats 350miles for 5 days. So for 350miles the car uses 11.3333 Gallons. 4.5 litres in a gallon so we multiply 1.55 by 4.5. This is €6.975 for a gallon of petrol So the car needs 11.3333 of these a week. That gives €79.04. Oh damn. your right. Im 96 cent short.

Depreciation is a real cost of owning a car. Simple as that. Im not even going to try and explain that to you. It doesnt come out of my paypacket but it is still a cost more me and every car owner in the country. As for the other made up stuff. Please explain

So you see sir your call of baloney is wrong and Im not driving a ferrari.

I never explained how a single person can pay 3000 on 'medical aid' because I never said a single person spends 3000 on medical aid. Can you stop making stuff up and letting on I said it. If you must know I spend 3300 on medical aid, but Im not single. I just said 3000 to round off. I think the cost of medical aid has already been posted. Have a look at that.

What I find amusing about your constant picking at my post is that I only posted it to give an example of different expenses someone on €50,000 may have compared to say someone who has never worked. I gave examples as a Garda because I know what they are but they relate to most working people, public or private sector. The ones you keep coming back to me with are everyday expenses regardless of salary.

Again I never said it effects my take home pay. But in fairness to you, you seem to have a bit more of an idea what depreciation is then gurramok

Yes plucked from the air my gurramok. But thanks for posting the rates. Lets
    hope he reads them.

Ah well. I did try

Nowhere near 7k sir, you are still plucking that figure from thin air even if your fuel costs are accurate.

You claimed you did not have a wife. Big difference to the 'struggler' on a single wage paying 3k in Medical Aid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

gurramok wrote: »
    That is a lie, the pubs are closed!! :D

Nowhere near 7k sir, you are still plucking that figure from thin air even if your fuel costs are accurate.

You claimed you did not have a wife. Big difference to the 'struggler' on a single wage paying 3k in Medical Aid.

Car running costs are about 5k and medical deductions (including critical illness, injury cover and life cover) are 2.5k per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Petrol 80pw
    Tax/insurance 1000pa
    Maintenance 600pa
    Depreciation 1200pa

Medical aid 62.38pw. Tax deducted at source

By the way the 9000 figure for mortgage is quite low. Don't you think this could be increased a bit

How can anyone take this seriously when you are using depreciation as an expense coming out of the salary? Like how does your car going down in value affect you? i wonder what car it is actually, 600 maintainance nd 1200 depreciation!

k_mac wrote: »
    Car running costs are about 5k and medical deductions (including critical illness, injury cover and life cover) are 2.5k per year.

That's assuming the petrol costs are accurate.

The poster quoted a figure of 3k for 'Medical Aid' yet said it was for a single person and yet posted later that he was married!! Hilarious stuff, if only he came clean initially..

The poster quoted a figure of 3k for 'Medical Aid' yet said it was for a single person and yet posted later that he was married!! Hilarious stuff, if only he came clean initially..

Well they are the same as my petrol costs so they work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Why do you keep harping on about this. I posted a link, have a look at it.
    How do I burn 320 euro petrol in a month. Ok Ill try and explain as simple as I can.
    Right you have this thing you call a car. Now the car has a thing called an engine. This engine requires petrol to run it. Im not sure of the technical issues with this(maybe one of the engineers can explain) Anyway this petrol costs money. So you call into a place called a petrol station and a nice man will fill the car with petrol for you. Sometimes he even lets you do it yourself. The problem with this nice man is he wants money for this petrol. €1.55 a litre at the moment. So you drive out of the petrol station and the more you drive the more petrol the car uses. My car does about 30mpg. I live 35miles from my place of work. That 70miles to and from work. Ok, you following me. Thats 350miles for 5 days. So for 350miles the car uses 11.3333 Gallons. 4.5 litres in a gallon so we multiply 1.55 by 4.5. This is €6.975 for a gallon of petrol So the car needs 11.3333 of these a week. That gives €79.04. Oh damn. your right. Im 96 cent short.

No sympathy on this bit mate. I drove just under 550miles last week and only cost €80. So €40 gets 275 miles and €50 for 350. I drive a 1.8L petrol car that drinks it. You must be driving at least a 2 litre (jeep maybe?) if not above and if your telling me that you pay €1.55 weekly your having a laugh that not 1 garage in your daily trip does petrol for cheaper. I drove from way down south through Dublin and back and nowhere did petrol for that price, though I was paying 151.9.

Not taking a stab but if thats that expensive get a diesel. Your tax gives it away that you must drive something with some bit of speed €1000! You are either under 25, have claimed recently or a load of penalty points. Anyone I know under 25 and over 23 with anything under a 2L pays less than €1000 in insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

CDfm wrote: »
    What are the wage levels in other countries ? Our public sector workers are amongst the highest paid in Europe.

I think it is a bit unfair to single out the guards amongst all public sector workers.

Here are GROSS salaries compared like for like after 10 years of service of normal ranked police:

I converted it to Euros where applicable to save you the bother.

Ireland: 42,138
    UK: 41,404.06
    Canada: 51,085.62
    NYPD: 66,000

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭greenoverred

I have no sympathy, Let them struggle on the 21,000 a year before tax that my partner and I live on and then thay can complain!We were sensible and got a small morgage, but them with their rental propertys. If your struggling SELL ONE OF THEM!
    People losing their homes and their jobs and they blooming moaning, theres worse off people in the world!

I notice you've highlighted 'before tax' in bold. Care to tell us exactly how much tax you pay. Dont want to mislead anyone now do we.

A feckit. Ill be straight out. I think you are been economical wth the truth. Are you sure this is all the income coming into your house and has this always been the way. Small mortgages are hard to come by and can really only be got if you have money already saved. Well actually you could probably get a few of them now but I dont think a bank would entertain you with €21,000

latenia wrote: »
    The cops as landlords thing is far from an urban myth-I used to work in the Revenue section that dealt with gardaí and most of my time was spent processing their returns for rental income. Anecdotally, most people I know who have rented for any length of time over several properties will have had a garda as their landlord at some stage.

Another interesting trend I noticed was the number of gardaí who 'inherited' property and other bequeaths from unrelated elderly people living in their area. I'm sure they'll say it was recognition of the care and attention they received from compassionate gardaí but a cynic might see opportunism and exploitation.

Putting the bare gross salary or takehome pay figures doesn't give an accurate picture of the real value of a garda's remuneration. They can retire on half their salary after 30 years service and receive 1.5 years salary as a 'retirement present' from Joe Taxpayer. Put it this way: a bean-garda could retire at 48 and reasonably expect to live to her mid-eighties, all the time drawing down index-linked money for doing nothing.

That something has to give here is not a matter of ideology-it's basic arithmetic.

And here we have another spoofer. You worked in the revenue section that dealt with gardai. Care to enlighten us what section this may be. PAYE is deducted from pay. Hardly needs a special section to do this. If any other income to declare form12 is completed just like everyone else. You trying to say revenue has a special section for gardai sending in a form12. You dont even know the retirement age for a Garda for god sake

As for the rest of your post well what can I say. Seen as I work in the Gardai Id say I now a damn site more Guards then you. I have never heard of a garda inheriting property or anything else from unrelated elderly people. Im not saying it never happened I dont know, but its hardly a trend.

Oh, also Anecdotally, I or any of my family or friends or anyone I know who have ever rented accommodation have never rented from a Guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Different categories of struggling there. Its shameful how you lump someone on the dole as a struggler with a person on 50k as a struggler. The former has a crap standard of living while the latter still has a high standard of living out of choice.

Well Welfare for a married couple together with all the benefits can be about 30k Net so not that different as the Guards here are talking about 40k net.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Well Welfare for a married couple together with all the benefits can be about 30k Net so not that different as the Guards here are talking about 40k net.

Why are you comparing a welfare couple to a singleton Garda??

• Advertisement

ulinbac wrote: »
    No sympathy on this bit mate. I drove just under 550miles last week and only cost €80. So €40 gets 275 miles and €50 for 350. I drive a 1.8L petrol car that drinks it. You must be driving at least a 2 litre (jeep maybe?) if not above and if your telling me that you pay €1.55 weekly your having a laugh that not 1 garage in your daily trip does petrol for cheaper. I drove from way down south through Dublin and back and nowhere did petrol for that price, though I was paying 151.9.

Not taking a stab but if thats that expensive get a diesel. Your tax gives it away that you must drive something with some bit of speed €1000! You are either under 25, have claimed recently or a load of penalty points. Anyone I know under 25 and over 23 with anything under a 2L pays less than €1000 in insurance.

I know your not having a go or anything. But just to clear things up. The nearest station to me is charging 154.9. Im not driving a 2l. Its a 1.4 petrol but has a bit of speed. I do a combination of city and country driving. I have no doubt I could do with a diesel because of the milage Im putting up but cant change at the moment. By the way the tax and insurance combined is €1000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Or the airline industry were my mate was given a another country to be based at without compo.
    Airline Industry
    Median Salary by Company Size

50-199 €50,750
    200-599 €85,000
    600-1999 €50,000
    2000-4999 €58,250
    5000-19999 €44,749

Let us not forget that
    A) Aer Lingus staff went on strike this year over a change to their working times an option that Gardai do not have

B) ALL employment legislation that protects private sector & semi state employees are NOT APPLICABLE to Gardai and the Army
    I.E.>

Organisation of Working Times Act - DOESN'T APPLY
    Minimum Notice & Terms of Employment Act - DOESN'T APPLY
    Health, Safety & Welfare at Work Act - DOESN'T APPLY
    Terms of employment (Information) Act - DOESN'T APPLY

Sorry, Your just not getting this are you. I never said it was for a single person. Its hilarious stuff alright that you don't understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

I know your not having a go or anything. But just to clear things up. The nearest station to me is charging 154.9. Im not driving a 2l. Its a 1.4 petrol but has a bit of speed. I do a combination of city and country driving. I have no doubt I could do with a diesel because of the milage Im putting up but cant change at the moment. By the way the tax and insurance combined is €1000

Fair enough stand corrected. Was wondering about that €1,000 insurance. Makes sense there cause ye guards gets cheaper insurance :p.

The faster you go the less petrol you will burn also :D

K-9 wrote: »

We are NOT Talking about 40k net
    No member of AGS at the rank of Garda earns a net wage of €40,000 unless he works 120 hours a week or something mad like that
    The average net is around €32k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

angelfire9 wrote: »
    We are NOT Talking about 40k net
    No member of AGS at the rank of Garda earns a net wage of €40,000 unless he works 120 hours a week or something mad like that
    The average net is around €32k

Thats slightly higher than my income as a student, its still to high for a copper. When I return to work next June I wouldnt get out of bed in the morning for €40k if Im to be honest but engineers pay isnt the topic of this thread, its cops pay and as you can see from all these replys €40k is to high. Sorry that you are annoyed by this but its simply true, coppers are not worth €40k per year!

jdooley28 wrote: »
    How can anyone take this seriously when you are using depreciation as an expense coming out of the salary? Like how does your car going down in value affect you? i wonder what car it is actually, 600 maintainance nd 1200 depreciation!

Did you read my post

Offy wrote: »
    Thats slightly higher than my income as a student, its still to high for a copper. When I return to work next June I wouldnt get out of bed in the morning for €40k if Im to be honest but engineers pay isnt the topic of this thread, its cops pay and as you can see from all these replys €40k is to high. Sorry that you are annoyed by this but its simply true, coppers are not worth €40k per year!

I'm not sure if there is an element of sarcasm here or if you are just very conceited.

Sorry, Your just not getting this are you. I never said it was for a single person. Its hilarious stuff alright that you don't understand this.

Yes you did http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71814490&postcount=263

You deliberately mislead us on your financial position and marital position when quoting your expenses. You threw in the 3k 'Medical Aid' when its for a family instead of a single person while detailing a single persons income and expenses and you have been found out. Next time quote your entire household income to have a shred of credibility.
    Ill take your other suggestion on board. Get a wife to help with the bills. Any ideas where id find one of these. Internet, Copper face jacks, etc

Game, set and match.

Offy man what happened you. You were having such craic in this thread, now when the tide is turned on you your gone all serious. You run out of them chill pills or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm not sure if there is an element of sarcasm here or if you are just very conceited.

I'd say he is terribly jealous.
    Probably failed the entrance examination for the Garda.

Im simply pointing out that as an engineer with 10+ years experience I wouldn't lift my ass for €40k, that doesn't mean a copper with the same experience is worth the same as me, I don't believe they are worth as much to society as an engineer is, the link I provided earlier validates this.

I'd say he is terribly jealous.
    Probably failed the entrance examination for the Garda.

I was always to ambitious to even think of becoming a copper plus I never hungered after power, just money :)

Im simply pointing out that as an engineer with 10+ years experience I wouldn't lift my ass for €40k, that doesn't mean a copper with the same experience is worth the same as me, I don't believe they are worth as much to society as an engineer is, the link I provided earlier validates this.

So, very conceited then.

So, very conceited then.

Ive earned it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why are you comparing a welfare couple to a singleton Garda??

Because some Guards are married? ;)

Btw, I'm not, don't know what gave you that idea?

You complain about welfare regularly and post about the high welfare rates and disincentive to work. Seems it doesn't apply to Guards though.:rolleyes:

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dean09 wrote: »
    If I was taking home anywhere near that I wouldn't be complaining.
    Yeah sure............
    Tell you what..train for 12 months for nothing, spend the first year on 23k and put up with the scum of this city these guys put up with and come back to me.

Yes you did http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71814490&postcount=263

You deliberately mislead us on your financial position and marital position when quoting your expenses. You threw in the 3k 'Medical Aid' when its for a family instead of a single person while detailing a single persons income and expenses and you have been found out. Next time quote your entire household income to have a shred of credibility.

Game, set and match.

Sorry mate. I was asking where would I get a wife to help with the bills. Big difference.

At least you've given up on the motoring costs.

Anyway your still missing the point. These were not meant to be a breakdown of my expenses although they are similar. These are expenses that every working person MAY have. When you take them into consideration with other deductions, 50 grand doesn't be long disappearing. And before you jump in on me again neither does 40grand, or 30grand. By the way you want me to declare my entire household income on here and yet you have no intention of letting us know what you work at

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Airline Industry
    Median Salary by Company Size

50-199 €50,750
    200-599 €85,000
    600-1999 €50,000
    2000-4999 €58,250
    5000-19999 €44,749

Let us not forget that
    A) Aer Lingus staff went on strike this year over a change to their working times an option that Gardai do not have

B) ALL employment legislation that protects private sector & semi state employees are NOT APPLICABLE to Gardai and the Army
    I.E.>

Organisation of Working Times Act - DOESN'T APPLY
    Minimum Notice & Terms of Employment Act - DOESN'T APPLY
    Health, Safety & Welfare at Work Act - DOESN'T APPLY
    Terms of employment (Information) Act - DOESN'T APPLY

Are you for f**king real yet your so called professional traffic corp are to uphold the law regarding the above and fine people for not obeying the law,Then again I probely know more about the H&S act 2005 WTD etc and transport laws than most of the corp fact,And if it's the case that the H&S act does not apply how do Gardai sue the state for injuries like a cival case the employer must be found negiable in not providing measures put in place to stop injury to their emplyees as set out under the 2005 act.

• Advertisement

Are you for f**king real yet your so called professional traffic corp are to uphold the law regarding the above and fine people for not obeying the law,Then again I probely know more about the H&S act 2005 WTD etc and transport laws thanmost of the corp fact.

Sorry I know I'm tired but I've no idea what you mean?

What has employment legislation got to do with the traffic corps???

And offy, you won't get out of bed for less than 40k?
    Seriously?
    So what should I as a qualified accountant with more than 10 years experience be holding out for?
    50k? 70k?
    Are your qualifications worth more than mine?

If you really knew what running a household, paying a mortgage and having kids entailed you wouldn't come out with those kind of statements!
    I'd happily get out of bed for €30k and that in itself would be a massive drop on my last salary
    It's not what I'm worth that matters
    It's paying bills and having a life as opposed to an existence!

Advertisement