Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí struggling to pay bills - AGSI

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Half the celtic tiger houses are defective, who signed off on them - engineers, brown envelopes come to mind! Oh! what a perfect profession. Anyone else out there care to share their profession and leave it open to scrunity! People in glasshouses etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Bosco boy wrote: »
    What do ya do yourself for a living? I might have an opinion on it, typical sh1te on boards with faceless hyprocites with chips on their shoulders, if you want a poorly paid police force accept the consequences, it's recognised as one of the best forces in the world, unarmed, what a fcuking toilet this country is starting to become, everyone watching everyone else and begrudgery thriving!
    Are you sh!tting me???

My eyes stung for about a week and the balls on the end of those telescopic bars are like taking a golf ball in the chin from a Tiger woods special:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

surely any gardai struggling to pay their bills would just wear their uniform in and get it sorted for free thats what they do everywhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

angelfire9 wrote: »
    is far in excess of the average Garda salary of €40k being bandied about

Is that €53k salary a fair reflection on what all engineers earn? Nope not at all it doesn't have to be because its an AVERAGE :rolleyes:
    Get my point??

Ahem -its historic data and is not really comparing like with like.How many engineers are working ??????

I happen to know that engineers who accept 14 euro per hour and these guys are qualified and experienced.

In the current market what you are quoting is not an average. I don't have stats to back it up -but it is a reflection of the state of the economy.

You probably do have engineers in the semi-state sector earning those amounts but not in the "real economy" in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It is taxed
    And the reason for it is that Gardai can be transferred anywhere in the country without any say in the matter
    If you are stationed in Clare (my area) you can be sent anywhere from Cork to Donegal or Dublin and the fact that you may have a wife, kids & a mortgage in Clare makes no difference
    On promotion a Garda will nearly always be transferred out of his division and a Garda is not supposed to be stationed within 30 miles of his/her home town

the rent allowance was brought in to compensate Gardai for this situation

I cannot think of any comparable private sector job where you can be shuffled around to anywhere in the country with only a few weeks notice and no choice in the matter simply because management say you have to

dont ever go and look at the oil&gas industry then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

Don't want to go off topic, but on a similar theme, I personally know of a primary school in Dublin where kids were sent home within the last month because of staff shortages, caused by some teachers over a fortnight in the school having landed a census enemurator job and taking the time off for that.

As somebody who was a parent on a school board of management I find this with respect imposable to believe, what school? When ?

smokie2008 wrote: »
    Are you sh!tting me???

My eyes stung for about a week and the balls on the end of those telescopic bars are like taking a golf ball in the chin from a Tiger woods special:mad:

Did they shout "four"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

It is taxed
    And the reason for it is that Gardai can be transferred anywhere in the country without any say in the matter
    But you still get it even if your not transferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

CDfm wrote: »
    Ahem -its historic data and is not really comparing like with like.How many engineers are working ??????

Since when is January 2011 historic data?????????????
    :cool:
    dont ever go and look at the oil&gas industry then
    Can we compare the garda salaries to the oil & gas workers? Can we? Please?
    Pretty please? :)
    Oil & gas is one of the few (and i hadn't thought of it so thanks) industries that transfer staff in a manner similar to the Gardai
    And they get damn well compensated for it too (the oil & gas workers I mean)
    hellboy99 wrote: »
    But you still get it even if your not transferred.
    Yes.... because you don't know when you are going to be transferred
    I think it is a 2 week notice thing like 1 week notice before the end of current payroll kinda thing (Bosco or KMac can confirm)
    In recieving rent allowance AGS members are compensated for not knowing where they might end up working from one month to the next (as far as I understand it)

Sales, construction,electrical, transport & distribution, IT, retai. Lots of people do.It is the norm and people have to switch jobs for small amounts.

The difference with the public service is job security.

Lots of people commute between short term contracts all the time.

• Advertisement

lots of people drive 100 or even 200 miles for work at their own expense

Sales, construction,electrical, transport & distribution, IT, retai. Lots of people do.It is the norm and people have to switch jobs for small amounts.

The difference with the public service is job security.

Lots of people commute between short term contracts all the time.

Are you saying your place of work can change with 2 weeks notice if you work in these industries?
    Like a sales person may have a specific area to cover (midwest or northwest or southwest or whatever) but their BASE remains the same (Head office of the company) therefore their place or work doesn't change even if they get moved from midwest to southeast

Switching jobs and commuting are not the issue
    I'm talking about a complete change of work location
    A garda stationed in Clare today might end up in Roscommon/Wexford/Dublin/Kerry next month living & working in the new area and have absolutely no say in it

lots of people drive 100 or even 200 miles for work at their own expense

Their choice though isn't it

Are you saying your place of work can change with 2 weeks notice if you work in these industries?
    Like a sales person may have a specific area to cover (midwest or northwest or southwest or whatever) but their BASE remains the same (Head office of the company) therefore their place or work doesn't change even if they get moved from midwest to southeast

Switching jobs and commuting are not the issue
    I'm talking about a complete change of work location
    A garda stationed in Clare today might end up in Roscommon/Wexford/Dublin/Kerry next month living & working in the new area and have absolutely no say in it
    the big thing is might. i might have a job today i might have none tomorrow this would be a lot more worrying than knowing i was clearing 40k+ a year for the rest of my workin(i am using the word lightly) life

i doubt that a two or three hour drive to and from work would be anybodys prefered choice not with the price of fuel anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

the big thing is might. i might have a job today i might have none tomorrow this would be a lot more worrying than knowing i was clearing 40k+ a year for the rest of my workin(i am using the word lightly) life

Wether they are transferred or not they still have to be 80km from their home which is not commutable on the current shift schedules which are not subject to the working time regulations. As such they will either have to rent or buy property near their place of work. This is the purpose of the rent allowance.

If a sales person does not sell they do not have a job - they will have to do the hours and travel the distances needed to meet their targets.

I think you are struggling here to make your point because you are trying to defy logic.

The economy in many sectors has collapsed and with it wages salaries & the tax take.

Public service workers are the least affected.

I am not saying being a garda is a nice job but having to move with work is part of the private sector except the dynamics are different.

People have seen whole industries and wages collapse in the private sector & you cannot expect them to be as sympathetic to you.

If Garda & public sector jobs were benchmarked to the real economy or to the public wage rates in other countries or the eu average then people may have more sympathy.

k_mac wrote: »
    Wether they are transferred or not they still have to be 80km from their home which is not commutable on the current shift schedules which are not subject to the working time regulations. As such they will either have to rent or buy property near their place of work. This is the purpose of the rent allowance.
    from their home town not their home

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

If a sales person does not sell they do not have a job - they will have to do the hours and travel the distances needed to meet their targets.

I think you are struggling here to make your point because you are trying to defy logic.

The economy in many sectors has collapsed and with it wages salaries & the tax take.

Public service workers are the least affected.

I am not saying being a garda is a nice job but having to move with work is part of the private sector except the dynamics are different.

People have seen whole industries and wages collapse in the private sector & you cannot expect them to be as sympathetic to you.

If Garda & public sector jobs were benchmarked to the real economy or to the public wage rates then people may have more sympathy.

How would you put a price on what the Garda wages should be?

from their home town not their home

From their home town, their spouses home town, their families home town and any towns in which their apouse or family have a licence obtained via the Gardaí.

• Advertisement

they do it to provide for their families.

a guard can resign or do they have to provide for their families too.

sillybird wrote: »
    How would you put a price on what the Garda wages should be?

What are the wage levels in other countries ? Our public sector workers are amongst the highest paid in Europe.

I think it is a bit unfair to single out the guards amongst all public sector workers.

What are the wage levels in other countries ? Our public sector workers are amongst the highest paid in Europe.

I think it is a bit unfair to single out the guards amongst all public sector workers.

To be honest I have yet to see any comparable figures from any official source for EU wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Since when is January 2011 historic data?????????????
    :cool:

Can we compare the garda salaries to the oil & gas workers? Can we? Please?
    Pretty please? :)
    Oil & gas is one of the few (and i hadn't thought of it so thanks) industries that transfer staff in a manner similar to the Gardai
    And they get damn well compensated for it too (the oil & gas workers I mean)

Yes.... because you don't know when you are going to be transferred
    I think it is a 2 week notice thing like 1 week notice before the end of current payroll kinda thing (Bosco or KMac can confirm)
    In recieving rent allowance AGS members are compensated for not knowing where they might end up working from one month to the next (as far as I understand it)

Or the airline industry were my mate was given a another country to be based at without compo.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Snapper

it opens the door to massive corruption and conflict of interest if Gardai are working other jobs...

Every Garda I know, bar two, have second jobs or a business interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Nett or gross?
    Nett yep I agree
    But the lads in AGS on €43857 gross are coming out with €29k nett which is a different kettle of fish

Struggling on 29k net are we now? How about asking those on the dole what 29k net feels like. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

gurramok wrote: »
    Struggling on 29k net are we now? How about asking those on the dole what 29k net feels like. :mad:

What does it feel like?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭greenoverred

Well after coming back from a day out collecting the rent. Went for a skip of free pints in the local after and have just bet the wife up to bed. I log in here and my god this is amusing. Where do I start
    Stop treating depreciation along with other made up stuff as an expense then, you are making a fool of the Gardai's 'struggling case' here.

So please feel free to show how you managed to spend 320quid a month on petrol. Your real expenses are that 1k Car tax/Ins & 600 Maintenance plus a disputed amount in petrol. Nowhere near 7k per year.

And you never explained how a single person can spend 3k on 'Medical Aid'. Your numbers are seriously inflated to deceive us.

Why do you keep harping on about this. I posted a link, have a look at it.
    How do I burn 320 euro petrol in a month. Ok Ill try and explain as simple as I can.
    Right you have this thing you call a car. Now the car has a thing called an engine. This engine requires petrol to run it. Im not sure of the technical issues with this(maybe one of the engineers can explain) Anyway this petrol costs money. So you call into a place called a petrol station and a nice man will fill the car with petrol for you. Sometimes he even lets you do it yourself. The problem with this nice man is he wants money for this petrol. €1.55 a litre at the moment. So you drive out of the petrol station and the more you drive the more petrol the car uses. My car does about 30mpg. I live 35miles from my place of work. That 70miles to and from work. Ok, you following me. Thats 350miles for 5 days. So for 350miles the car uses 11.3333 Gallons. 4.5 litres in a gallon so we multiply 1.55 by 4.5. This is €6.975 for a gallon of petrol So the car needs 11.3333 of these a week. That gives €79.04. Oh damn. your right. Im 96 cent short.

Depreciation is a real cost of owning a car. Simple as that. Im not even going to try and explain that to you. It doesnt come out of my paypacket but it is still a cost more me and every car owner in the country. As for the other made up stuff. Please explain
    7k? Ah come on, what are you driving, a Ferrari?? I call baloney on that figure.

So you see sir your call of baloney is wrong and Im not driving a ferrari.

I never explained how a single person can pay 3000 on 'medical aid' because I never said a single person spends 3000 on medical aid. Can you stop making stuff up and letting on I said it. If you must know I spend 3300 on medical aid, but Im not single. I just said 3000 to round off. I think the cost of medical aid has already been posted. Have a look at that.

What I find amusing about your constant picking at my post is that I only posted it to give an example of different expenses someone on €50,000 may have compared to say someone who has never worked. I gave examples as a Garda because I know what they are but they relate to most working people, public or private sector. The ones you keep coming back to me with are everyday expenses regardless of salary.
    bamboozle wrote: »
    1200 for depreciation? who do you pay this to? if the car is losing its value by 1200 a year this has no impact on you annual take home pay it just means your car is worth 1200 less at year end, unless of course you are saving 1200 a year towards a new car??

Again I never said it effects my take home pay. But in fairness to you, you seem to have a bit more of an idea what depreciation is then gurramok
    bamboozle wrote: »
    you could be waiting, figures seemed to be plucked from thin air, another poster (i think a wife of a guard) provided these figures

FYI re Medical Aid

Single Adult €25.77 p.w. or €1340 per annum
    Couple €51.54 p.w. or €2680 per annum
    Couple with children under 18 €62.38 p.w or €3244 per annum

Yes plucked from the air my gurramok. But thanks for posting the rates. Lets
    hope he reads them.

Ah well. I did try

Take it a step further and ask the starving in Africa what it would be like to have the dole money!

• Advertisement

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Take it a step further and ask the starving in Africa what it would be like to have the dole money!

without having to work at all.

Advertisement