Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí struggling to pay bills - AGSI

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Offy wrote: »
    Those that cant do teach!

When I was young and the washing machine broke down the parents would call "the washing machine man" now when he calls to me he's an "engineer" but little does he know that to me he's "the washing machine man". Don't get me wrong I like and respect the man but at that rate as a police officer I would be an "attitude adjustment engineer".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

We do pay their wages, they provide a service that cost tax money, what do they generate in fines? We pay the rest! Without us they dont exist. We come first so we are more important, get over it!

A garda can pay their own wage by issuing 8 fines per week. After that they are making a profit on their net pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Offy,

I probably paid your Childrens Allowance.

Swings and roundabouts !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

k_mac wrote: »
    A garda can pay their own wage by issuing 8 fines per week. After that they are making a profit on their net pay.

So thats why they are only interested in crimes against the state and why they couldnt be bothered catching scum that rob peoples houses. I kinda thought there was a profit to be made somewhere! Tell me more, how much could the average AGS member add to €40k in profits like these? Or do you mean profit for the government? So we put up with stupid laws so you can line government pockets? hehe the government really values cops so if they dont pay them enough to pay their bills! Maybe a change in career is the best thing? Something like engineering perhaps?

Am I trolling? I dont really know but Im having one hell of a laugh ;) Its the only time in life a normal person can tell a cop to shut the fcuk up and not get nicked for it, ye really do talk a lot of rubbish. Oh poor Mr. policeman, I feel so sorry for you - haha - you choose to be a cop so lap it up!

angelfire9 Im aware of what an accountant does, I used to run my own company and have hired some very expensive accountants. They do not make the same contribution to a company or even society as engineers do, sorry that you have issues with that but thats up to you. Only the rich in society benifit from AGS, us middle class and the poor lower class (who get a shocking hard time from AGS) do not benifit or at least I never have and Im not a criminal before someone throws that in. We simply get told to fcuk off or the polite ones tell us to hire a solicitor. As long as they look down their nose at me in real life I will look down my nose at them anywhere I can get away with it. Build a bridge! The law is supposed to protect people like me, not just persecute us.

k_mac level 7 would maybe get you a WWP in engineering, afther that your working min. wage till you retire. Engineers spend half their life in and out of college and Uni. We never stop training. I dont hate cops but based on most of my experience with them I have little or no respect for them, its about as much respect as I get from them whenever I get stopped for something stupid (ie one of the profit things). If you showed as much enthusiasm when a member of the public tried to make a complaint then maybe I would have some sympathy of the 120 that cant pay their bills. Maybe you should remember that next time you tell the victim of a crime to fcuk of because theres no profit in it, just a thought.

Offy,

I probably paid your Childrens Allowance.

Swings and roundabouts !!

And Im probably paying your pension!

• Advertisement

And Im probably paying your pension!

I would love if you were but its a private pension i'm afraid !!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

I dont hate cops but based on most of my experience with them I have little or no respect for them, its about as much respect as I get from them whenever I get stopped for something stupid (ie one of the profit things).

I respect individual people based on my experiences with them, not on what organisation they work for. Out of curiosity where did you do your undergrad study in engineering?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

delta720 wrote: »
    I respect individual people based on my experiences with them, not on what organisation they work for. Out of curiosity where did you do your undergrad study in engineering?
    Athlone Institute of Technology according to this:
    I received training from First Polymer and it was very good training. I have a degree from the AIT.

and according to this: (Posted 3 weeks ago) he hasn't actually graduated yet!
    Does anyone know when the AIT will release the third installment of level 8 VEC grants?

Funnily enough Offy doesn't appear to be earning anywhere close to his 40k to get out of bed amount at the moment:
    I pay €400pm for a three year old four bed semi, thats 2/3's of a weeks income for me, sure I need the rest for beer, cigs and chicks!

Then there is this gem:
    Im not unemployed, Im a student. Yes I am on social welfare but thats by the by.
    Who's taxes pay your social welfare Offy??

delta720 wrote: »

A washing machine repair shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Ha! Thanks angelfire, thankfully despite being the lower class thick child of a Garda I managed to get into a real University (TCD) to do my engineering degree, maybe I'll let you work for me someday Offy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i dont see what the huge fuss is about.

many people over extended during the boom years, gardai included.

i think we can all agree that gardai are human

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Athlone Institute of Technology according to this:

and according to this: (Posted 3 weeks ago) he hasn't actually graduated yet!

Funnily enough Offy doesn't appear to be earning anywhere close to his 40k to get out of bed amount at the moment:

I graduated in '94, if you read my posts you would see Ive stated that we engineers spend half our lives in college. That means at the moment Im BACK in college. That post was from three weeks ago ad if you read this one you will see it is a couple of years older. Stick with accountancy, detective work doesnt suit you.

Then there is this gem:

Who's taxes pay your social welfare Offy??

I do and you do, thank you for that. Not that its any of your business but:
    Widowers contributory pension: €253.10 per week (from PRSI payments, ie tax I contributed)
    Rent Subsupplemant: 118.00 per week (thank you for paying your tax:))
    VEC Grant: 2033 per three months (169.42 per week)
    Child Benifit: 280 per month (Again thank you as thats 64.61 per week)
    Total take from the government €605.13 per week.
    Thats my income as a student so why the hell would I feel sorry for a cop that cant get by on €40k? Now angelfire9 will you stop trying to discredit me and stick to the topic? €40k is to much for a copper, just look at Bosco boys last comment, thats what I meant earlier, typical smart ass cop comment. Why should I respect that? Bosco I hope the IMF slash your payscale in half but thanks for paying for my third degree, couldnt have done it without you :)

angelfire9 are you stalking me? ahhh a bunny boiler!!!!!!!

I graduated in '94, if you read my posts you would see Ive stated that we engineers spend half our lives in college. That means at the moment Im BACK in college. That post was from three weeks ago ad if you read this one you will see it is a couple of years older. Stick with accountancy, detective work doesnt suit you.

I do and you do, thank you for that. Not that its any of your business but:
    Widowers contributory pension: €253.10 per week (from PRSI payments, ie tax I contributed)
    Rent Subsupplemant: 118.00 per week (thank you for paying your tax:))
    VEC Grant: 2033 per three months (169.42 per week)
    Child Benifit: 280 per month (Again thank you as thats 64.61 per week)
    Total take from the government €605.13 per week.
    Thats my income as a student so why the hell would I feel sorry for a cop that cant get by on €40k? Now angelfire9 will you stop trying to discredit me and stick to the topic? €40k is to much for a copper, just look at Bosco boys last comment, thats what I meant earlier, typical smart ass cop comment. Why should I respect that? Bosco I hope the IMF slash your payscale in half but thanks for paying for my third degree, couldnt have done it without you :)

:eek:

You get €31,466 NETT per annum into your hand for NOTHING
    That is €2k more per annum in Nett Income than a cop on 44k gross

Do you not see the irony here?
    Their taxes pay your social welfare

What exactly gives you the right to say ANYTHING about how much they get paid?

Ha ha ha Poor old Offy was caught out bluffing. Very funny. There's detection for you Offy.

:eek:

You get €31,466 NETT per annum into your hand for NOTHING
    That is €2k more per annum in Nett Income than a cop on 44k gross

Do you not see the irony here?
    Their taxes pay your social welfare

What exactly gives you the right to say ANYTHING about how much they get paid?

Do you have any idea how much tax I will be paying come the summer? Do you have any idea how much tax Ive paid to date? When we engineers go back to college we dont have to pay tax because the government we voted for set it up that way. If you want to blame someone look to them, I didnt set up the system we live in, I just use it to my benefit when I can. The more degrees I have the more pay I get. Thats how it works in a knowledge based society (thank God). Their taxes pay for sfa, its the education and experience, provided by the government, that gets foreign investment into Ireland, not AGS. Its company owners, like me I might add, that create jobs, not AGS. AGS will not get us out of this recession, thats left to those that create and generate. Thats what gives me the right, Im every bit a member of this society and every bit as entitled to an opinion as anyone else. You previously denied been conceited, how conceited is it to question what right a student has to voice his opinion on a public issue? You bore me, Im done with you.

Ha ha ha Poor old Offy was caught out bluffing. Very funny. There's detection for you Offy.

You blithering idiot! Read my last post!!!!!!!!!! You were in just a little to quick there! Im done with you too.

mod: poster banned.

You blithering idiot! Read my last post!!!!!!!!!! You were in just a little to quick there! Im done with you too.

Finally he's unmasked! Well done angelfire9

Yes well done Angelfire9. Hero of the boards !!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

gurramok wrote: »
    Most of those builders are unemployed/emigrated now. Maybe you should inform your manager/team leader if you feel you are being overworked?
    those builders and property developers made a fortune through the boom time and bought second and third houses all over the place. did they never think of saving ???? Yes you dead right Im overworked but unfortunalty peoples LIVES depend on me doing my job so being a PROFESSIONAL I do it to the best of my ability ;)

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Finally he's unmasked! Well done angelfire9

Your fun, Im not done with you just yet! Are you one of the 120? Why should we feel sorry for 120 cops that can live on their earnings? What kind of person spends more than they earn in this climate? Need I say any more? So Ireland has 120 cops that are thick as two planks, thats not really news to any of us, I would have thought the figure was higher to be honest!

mod: poster banned.

• Advertisement

Your fun, Im not done with you just yet! Are you one of the 120? Why should we feel sorry for 120 cops that can live on their earnings? What kind of person spends more than they earn in this climate? Need I say any more? So Ireland has 120 cops that are thick as two planks, thats not really news to any of us, I would have thought the figure was higher to be honest!

The dying kick of a sore loser.
    When all else fails turn to childish insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Yes well done Angelfire9. Hero of the boards !!
    Have been following you too Angelfire well done to you you make us women out there proud I couldnt have said it better myself me thinks you should apply for the GARDAI after they have lifted the EMBARGO on employing more .. Well done again you won for sure . goes to prove the truth wins everytime ;);););)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

gurramok wrote: »
    Yes you did with these disgraceful remarks
    k-9 wrote:
    Well Welfare for a married couple together with all the benefits can be about 30k Net so not that different as the Guards here are talking about 40k net

LOL

boards.ie - View Single Post - Unmarried Mothers

Apologies for not targeting Single Parent Gurramok, wouldn't be as disgraceful then Gurramok?

The poster never said he was married until many posts later after been pressed on the issue. Why would he say he was looking for a wife in CFJ's then?

The poster responded so I'll let them reply to that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

cordub wrote: »
    Have been following you too Angelfire well done to you you make us women out there proud I couldnt have said it better myself me thinks you should apply for the GARDAI after they have lifted the EMBARGO on employing more .. Well done again you won for sure . goes to prove the truth wins everytime ;);););)

Unfortunately I'm too old ;)

Besides being married to a cop is quite enough for me :)

Obviously some of my father's skillset rubbed off on me
    I think i'll stick to accountancy why waste 8 years of education at this stage of my life besides my 42% taxes (when I get back to work) will pay for social welfare and college for others :D

And Offy before you say it I don't receive any welfare payments other than the reduced rate child benefit

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

FYI offy banned.
    (ie stop feeding him)

FYI offy banned.
    (ie stop feeding him)

But I was having fun :D

Ok ok I'll behave.....

Who's next? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

The poor little Garda on 40K year, get up outa that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

I'm on less than 25K before tax and if I feel like it I can save €900 a month. People who are "struggling" on 40K a year before tax must be complete idiots.

whiteonion wrote: »
    I'm on less than 25K before tax and if I feel like it I can save €900 a month. People who are "struggling" on 40K a year before tax must be complete idiots.

Ok
    Do you have a mortgage/wife/kids?
    With a salary of circa 25k gross how much tax do you actually pay? I.E. what do you come out with per annum around 21,500?
    That is €1791 per month so you live on around €800-€900 per month?
    That is what alot of people pay for mortgages alone!

Did you see my post on our household income?
    Here i'll post it for you again:
    After 11 years service Gross Pay €46,602 (now €43857 p.a. following cuts in Dec 2010)
    Net Pay per week €565.31
    Source: http://www.gra.cc/net_reductions_2008_-2011.shtml

Deductions from payslip (at source) WEEKLY
    GRA Subscription €7.05
    Life Assurance/ critical illness/ Life Cover €13.50
    Garda & Clare Division Benevolent funds €3.76
    Medical Aid (Health insurance) €62.33

Which leaves a Net Pay per week on the payslip of €478.67

Assuming a 4 week month this is €1914.70 per month
    Monthly expenses:

Mortgage 700
    Petrol 240 (60 per week in and out of work for hubby)
    Electricity 100
    Gas/Heating 100
    Food 500 (feeding 2 Adults 2 kids (1 of which is a baby)

Balance per month is down to €274.00
    Which (again assuming a 4 week month) is 68.67 per week

Per Annum Equivalent (52 weeks) €3570.84

Now I already hear ye saying that we are doing well to have that kind of money spare every year with all the household bills paid
    BUT
    Then there comes these little expenses:
    Per ANNUM:
    House Insurance 400
    Car Insurance 400
    Car Tax 470
    Car Maintenance (1 service) 200
    Car Tyres (1 set per year) 280
    Non reimbursable Medical Expenses 840 (THIS IS FOR MEDICATION ONLY & ASSUMES ZERO DOCTORS & HOSPITAL VISITS)

These add up to €2590 per year

Which leaves our household with a surplus income of €980.84 or WOW a whole €18.86 per week

Now there are the other things that have to be paid
    Christmas Presents for the eldest child
    Clothing & Footwear for 2 children
    School books & uniforms
    These come out of the children's allowance

So in actual fact we live from hand to mouth EVERY WEEK

Where can we save €900 per month????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

And here we have another spoofer. You worked in the revenue section that dealt with gardai. Care to enlighten us what section this may be. PAYE is deducted from pay. Hardly needs a special section to do this. If any other income to declare form12 is completed just like everyone else. You trying to say revenue has a special section for gardai sending in a form12. You dont even know the retirement age for a Garda for god sake

As for the rest of your post well what can I say. Seen as I work in the Gardai Id say I now a damn site more Guards then you. I have never heard of a garda inheriting property or anything else from unrelated elderly people. Im not saying it never happened I dont know, but its hardly a trend.

Oh, also Anecdotally, I or any of my family or friends or anyone I know who have ever rented accommodation have never rented from a Guard.

Revenue District 480 in O'Connell St. I left about 8 years ago but I believe they've reorganised on geographical lines in the meantime. Anything to do with garda tax went through there-medical expenses, credit union dividends, top slicing relief, sections 23 and 50 etc. You could use your detective skills and ask some of your older colleagues about it.

A garda can retire at any age they want.

I'm sure you know many, many more gardaí than me but how many of their tax returns have you seen? Most people don't discuss their personal finance with work colleagues.

Advertisement