Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí struggling to pay bills - AGSI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Nope, he's stating a fact as K_mac said
    If the Gardai are called to an incident they have to respond regardless of who is calling them for help be it a rapist, a murderer, a paedophile or a little old lady in a wheelchair ;)

It's not the fact that their job requires them to come to the assistance of a caller that's the issue. The fact that I should be "Damn Glad" he did is the issue. We all pay into the Gardai service so we EXPECT them to come to our assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I disagree. His post oozed arrogance.

I hopefully won't have to encounter a time when I need the assistance of the guards. If I do it will obviously be because a crime has been committed against me. Will I be "Damn Glad" that a crime has been committed against me?

Nope, I wouldn't imagine you would
    But if you get robbed or assaulted believe me you will be glad when the gardai arrive

There is nothing more guarantee to shake your self confidence then having your house burgled or being assaulted
    The fear that the scumbags will come back and finish the job will terrify you (i speak from experience)
    I spent an hour talking on the phone to the 999 operator one night after a serious assault because I was convinced if I hung up and was on my own in the house he'd come back & I'd be killed, somehow talking to the cop on the phone kept me together til the lads in the car actually arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You really are coming across as one of those Guards that thinks they are better than everyone else.

AND you call them arrogant.

But if you get robbed or assaulted believe me you will be glad when the gardai arrive

There is nothing more guarantee to shake your self confidence then having your house burgled or being assaulted
    The fear that the scumbags will come back and finish the job will terrify you (i speak from experience)
    I spent an hour talking on the phone to the 999 operator one night after a serious assault because I was convinced if I hung up and was on my own in the house he'd come back & I'd be killed, somehow talking to the cop on the phone kept me together til the lads in the car actually arrived

Honestly, burglary? I'm not up on statistics but I am sure the best possible outcome I could get from a burglary is a crime number for insurance purposes. And that is from experience.

If I thought someone was in my house, yes, I would call the guards (a crime is possibly being committed after all). But I could also then ring my neighbour and receive the same assurances and possibly their actual presence whilst I waited for the guards to arrive. The 999 operator and neighbour both as honourable as each other but one of them doesn't get paid to be.

AND you call them arrogant.

Their posts = my outlook on them :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Break all ties

There is no such thing as a poor cop.

Honestly, burglary? I'm not up on statistics but I am sure the best possible outcome I could get from a burglary is a crime number for insurance purposes. And that is from experience.

If I thought someone was in my house, yes, I would call the guards (a crime is possibly being committed after all). But I could also then ring my neighbour and receive the same assurances and possibly their actual presence whilst I waited for the guards to arrive. The 999 operator and neighbour both as honourable as each other but one of them doesn't get paid to be.

Our place was burgled and I almost got strangled for the sake of a TV (not my idea of fun let me assure you)
    Living in Rathmines about 2 months at the time I didn't know my neighbours so that wasn't an option even where i live now I don't know my neighbours phone numbers off by heart and its not like you'd have time to look up the phonebook if your in that situation :rolleyes:

When you panic (and you would panic) you don't think logically on the night in question i couldn't even remember my OH's phone number and I ring him & text him all the time and know if off by heart
    Dialling 999 is an awful lot easier!

Its lovely to have theories about what you would do in a given situation but unless you are in the situation you really don't know how you'd react, logic & common sense go out the window when you are threatened and believe me there is no more welcome a sight then a high vis Garda jacket at your door at 2am when you've been through that kind of ordeal!

Their posts = my outlook on them :rolleyes:

So you have met all of them or just have an agenda !!

There is no such thing as a poor cop.

I didn'y know the pay was so good in Bulgaria.

So you have met all of them or just have an agenda !!

Their, as in that particular poster. Please read above for my reasons and take note I said some, not all.

For the record, there are Tw@ts in all professions that think they are better than you just because they are who they are.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Good old corruption. :D

Hang on is there no corruption in Cuba at all these days? :D

So they are ALL into bribery and corruption in Bulgaria ?
    Big generalization there imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Their, as in that particular poster. Please read above for my reasons and take note I said some, not all.

For the record, there are Tw@ts in all professions that think they are better than you just because they are who they are.

What is your profession question in 10, 9, 8, 7.........

So they are ALL into bribery and corruption in Bulgaria ?
    Big generalization there imo.
    Only the other week I had to give them 20 Leva (around 10 euro) for a speeding stop. Would have cost a lot more if they did the paperwork.

It happens everyday, bribery is common place. At least you know where you stand.

Only the other week I had to give them 20 Leva (around 10 euro) for a speeding stop. Would have cost a lot more if they did the paperwork.

It happens everyday, bribery is common place. At least you know where you stand.

Why didn't you report that and get them sacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Why didn't you report that and get them sacked?

Do you think they would be sacked?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Do you think they would be sacked?

Definitely. Corruption is unacceptable and should be reported. Taking bribes is corruption.
    That is something which certainly would lead to them being sacked.

Definitely. Corruption is unacceptable and should be reported. Taking bribes is corruption.

In fairness man I have nothing agaisnt the gaurds but there have been several cases of assaults brought against the gaurds, monies paid out to the victims and not one of them have got sacked. In donegal gaurds made up evidence and had corruption coming out their ears yet the left with a pension. If corruption is acceptable within the irish gaurds what makes you think bulgaria would deal with it?

• Advertisement

In fairness man I have nothing agaisnt the gaurds but there have been several cases of assaults brought against the gaurds, monies paid out to the victims and not one of them have got sacked. In donegal gaurds made up evidence and had corruption coming out their ears yet the left with a pension. If corruption is acceptable within the irish gaurds what makes you think bulgaria would deal with it?

If they were found guilty they would have been sacked or disciplined.
    If sacked then they lose their pensions as far as i know. If disciplined they have other forms of punishment, fines, transfers etc. Just because there has been cases of assault taken does not make someone guilty as there has to be a court case or enquiry. Donegal was a bad episode in the Garda history but how many were involved in total? I believe only about five or six in total and it was dealt with. I have spoken to some Gardai who were glad these people were caught.
    Corruption is never acceptable.
    I have to say that throughout 38 years of both working in the P.S. and running my business i have had many dealings with the Garda and have only come across 1 or 2 that i had a problem with because of their attitude. I cannot say that about other professions i had dealings with to be honest.

If they were found guilty they would have been sacked or disciplined.
    If sacked then they lose their pensions as far as i know. If disciplined they have other forms of punishment, fines, transfers etc. Just because there has been cases of assault taken does not make someone guilty as there has to be a court case or enquiry. Donegal was a bad episode in the Garda history but how many were involved in total? I believe only about five or six in total and it was dealt with. I have spoken to some Gardai who were glad these people were caught.
    Corruption is never acceptable.
    I have to say that throughout 38 years of both working in the P.S. and running my business i have had many dealings with the Garda and have only come across 1 or 2 that i had a problem with because of their attitude. I cannot say that about other professions i had dealings with to be honest.

The procedings against theses gaurds involved other gaurds lying in court to protect other gaurds being found guilty and being guilty are two different things but how do I know as a citizen that these things have changed its not good enough for someone to tell me they are.

The procedings against theses gaurds involved other gaurds lying in court to protect other gaurds being found guilty and being guilty are two different things but how do I know as a citizen that these things have changed its not good enough for someone to tell me they are.

You now have the Ombudsman for the Garda and they keep an eye on everything as its their job to do so.
    You can report to them if you know of anything suspicious.The Ombudsman is informed of every issue involving the Garda even traffic accidents i believe.

You now have the Ombudsman for the Garda and they keep an eye on everything as its their job to do so.
    You can report to them if you know of anything suspicious.The Ombudsman is informed of every issue involving the Garda even traffic accidents i believe.

No doubt things have improved and I do agree with you that gaurds in the force who are decent people are sickened by the few criminals in the force.

No doubt things have improved and I do agree with you that gaurds in the force who are decent people are sickened by the few criminals in the force.

Yes they have to be sickened but its also their job to weed them out so that we all can trust them. I always take people as i find them myself and not on the word of others and if i have a run-in with a dubious one i will report him no fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭g_moriarty

You think it's only the front-line police accepting bribes in poor countries? Ha, the guys at the top are the worst offenders.

g_moriarty wrote: »
    You think it's only the front-line police accepting bribes in poor countries? Ha, the guys at the top are the worst offenders.

To be honest i wouldn't know as i have never been outside this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

the general response to a robbery is a bit of lip service with the final word usually you will never see your stuff again as for the asssault surely a doctor would be a more welcome sight

the general response to a robbery is a bit of lip service with the final word usually you will never see your stuff again as for the asssault surely a doctor would be a more welcome sight

You seem to be a real know-all however you were not the victim so i would take the poster's word over yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭g_moriarty

And another famous line used by the gardai after burglaries "also, they will probably come back, right.. best of luck now"

Advertisement