Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hi guys, after watching Avatar: The Last Airbender straight through on Netflix, I picked up Legend of Korra through, erm, other sources, (lets face it, we all did). Lovely series, any idea when they open Book 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some time in 2013 (another 14 episodes).
    This years season started in April, so I hope this is the same (or even sooner)

Brilliant, love the series but the comedy element of the show just wasn't there as much as it was in TLA (love how that acronym can mean either The Legend of Aang or The Last Airbender) I was disapointed that Lin hadn't picked up her mother's dry sense of humour, now Bumi, looks like he could be bringing the madness but what I really want to see is an offspring of Sokka and Suki who is a chip off his/her old dad. That's one hope I have for the next series.
    The other being that I hope they draw a line under the Muh Night Shyamalan movie and start again, I'd love if they got the Harry Potter crew to take on the reigns. Imagine if Alfonso Curan or David Yates directed an Avatar movie?

Yeah an Avatar movie reboot could be fantastic. They can't continue the story with the cast of the first (who were uniformly awful), or the writer/director of the first (a one or two hit wonder who hasn't released a good movie in over 10 years).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Somewhat related - look what just arrived in our house for Christmas:
    233670.jpg

• Advertisement

I was rewatching the "And The Winner Is..." episode recently and I remembered just how good that one was. It was the perfect blend of humour, action and suspense!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

BOOK 2 STARTS IN SEPTEMBER!!!

the first episode aired in comic con today but until we hear any feedback all we got is this awesome trailer!!!

A bit random, but looks cool. Can't wait. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Anyone know how many books there will be? Season 2 is looking promising from the trailer :D

wikipedia says they've already scripted up to book 4
    Animation director Yoo Jae-myung of Studio Mir said that the impetus to renew the series for four seasons came from the president of Nickelodeon and its parent company MTV, who believed that The Legend of Korra had the potential to replace SpongeBob SquarePants as the channel's flagship animation series.[34] By June 2012, Book Two's writing had been completed and the episodes were in the process of being storyboarded and animated.[18] The animation for Book Two is done principally by the Japanese Studio Pierrot, with oversight by Studio Mir.[34]
    As of May 2013, seasons two, three and four were in development simultaneously according to Bryan Konietzko.[35]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

God i cannot wait for this, seriously no other show holds my anticipation more, all i want is another "OMFG Tarlocks a bloodbender!!!?" moment

To pass the time there is another avatar comic book mini series and much like how the last one (the promise) tied into a lot of what the first season of korra was dealing with this one steps into the spirit world a lot so would be leading into a lot of what season 2 could involve

also if you were a huge fan of the original series you just need to know the following 3 points:

1. It deals with the last unanswered question of the original series, Zuko's mom.

2. It actually might involve a twist on something everybody's been assuming but actually has never been addressed at all during season 1 of korra.

3. It has Azula as a main character.

as for those not willing to read but still curious spoilers
    It shows what Zuko's mum did to get banished, (she poisoned the firelord) it also showed her life prior to marrying the firelord and of the man she loved, also it showed where the blue spirit mask comes from and other tidbits. But bigger news is that either Azula or Zuko is actually not fireloard Ozai's child, but actually a child of an affair their mother had with her true love. It is heavily hinted that it is Zuko, but I'm expecting the twist to be it's Azula. If it is Zuko he is technically not firelord and since it's never been confirmed in the series that his line continued to be firelord (his grandson was a general of the *united* army, not the fire nation) it could mean he might not be firelord and azula might have some influence on events in the korra time. Also Azula has gone completely insane, she is seeing her mum everywhere and is paranoid that her mum has been plotting against her from the beginning.

all in all exciting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

I really hope they introduce an azula-like character. I just loved her poisonous demeanor and all of her biting remarks. Fingers crossed!

My episode guide is showing this as starting on Saturday September 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So this is due to start back this Friday Sept 13th.

I'm in 2 minds whether to watch as they air or let them build up to take into account the big random gaps animated series tend to have.

The current schedule is only up to episode 5 but seems to be pretty consistent in 1 episode every friday with a double for the first, dont think i would actually be able to stop myself watching tbh

Yaaaayyy. I haven't been this excited about watching something first thing on a Saturday morning since I was a child!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So this is due to start back this Friday Sept 13th.

I'm in 2 minds whether to watch as they air or let them build up to take into account the big random gaps animated series tend to have.

As far as I can remember Korra only had one week gap last season for some American holiday*. They certainly didn't do the whole Warner Brothers dicking about with Young Justice. This is their prestige show so they want to make sure nobody misses it I'd say. I watched it last year as it aired and only remember being homicidal one week.

Also, apparently this is a double bill!!!!!!!!!

* Not counting the gap between the prerelease of the pilot and the series starting properly last time

Okay, I'm convinced (that was hard :)) I'll watch it weekly.

Just counting the weeks and with a little luck they'll air them all without having to break for Christmas

Decent start.
    Not sure what's happening at the air temple, but looks like the Northern water tribe is trying to do "what's best for" the Southern water tribe. So can we expect a battle or will they accept their "help"?

• Advertisement

Yeah it was a decent start, they've been upping the fight sequences with each passing season.

They're are sowing a lot of plot points that hopefully will go to interesting places.

Aside from that I thought the humour was a bit hit and miss compared to season 1's more convenient *fish out of water* humour with korra. Actually that is probably my biggest issue with the episode, korra was not as likeable as a character this episode as she was for most of season 1. Of course falling back on old staples such as *my broyfriend doesnt get me* is going to make me :(

this coupled with the somewhat awkward plot mechanics led to some brief moments of eye rolling
    Korra being the chief's daughter threw me cause as far as I can remember, she wasnt in the first season, they were a family in the southern water tribe, but not the chief. And even in the first episode of season 1 they were not the chief. Though I admit it was never stated they were or were not. Just never felt like she was. So the backstory and the conflict between korra and her dad felt forced a lot of time because its all stuff that has never come up before.

As for her uncle I really really really hope he doesnt turn out to be controlling the spirits or some such evil ploy, I rather he is more like tarlock from season 1 and is taking advantage of a situation to further his own ends and will end up in trouble when the real antagonist shows up. But that army got their very quickly, almost as if he knew things would go this way from the beginning.

As for new characters, I like the twins, there is some surprising good humour from them and bolin.

though I will admit to being disapointed that we appear to be firmly staying away from republic city. I thought it was an amazing setting for the series. I do hope if we are not returning there then the series should move around more, please lets not stay in the south pole, it's not the most...uhmm interesting of visual backgrounds.

Decent start. I wasn't gone on the tone initially but once the story kicked in (the last 8 mins or so of episode 1) it improved rapidly.
    • Liked Bolin and the twins
    • Liked Her uncle and the family story. The uncle's motives are very interesting. That was always interesting in Aang: While Ozi was always a flat out baddie he was always just in the background really. The more upfront antagonists, Zuko and Azula, were very interesting, sympathetic (even Azula) and three dimensional characters. Not straight up mustache-twirling bad-guys. I hope it will be the same here.
    • Didn't like Bumi but if he becomes a regular character I can see him having an interesting arc. (Ala Sokka in Aang: He started almost as the comedy sidekick before evolving interestingly and convincingly over the seasons).
    • Didn't like the eccentric businessman but we'll see
    • Didn't like the fact that Korra could slip in and out of the avatar state so easily
    • LOVED the potential with Jinora (Always loved the character, good to see them do something with her. Obviously going to be a major plot point as seen in the trailer).
    It struck me that THIS season is the REAL start of Korra's path and, potentially, the rest of the overall storyline: Korra's a very physical avatar but not nearly as spiritual as Aang was. She's all about the fight fight fight. Her imediate reaction was to fight the spirits and assume they were "evil". This will obviously be part of her journey. Plus, if the whole "reeducation" of the tribe is going to be a thing then it would be interesting. It gives a different slant on Aang's storyline. This is not an enemy force coming to conquer. This is a "friendly" force coming to try to "capture the hearts and minds" of the locals and reeducate them........ Sound familiar?

Am I the only one that wasn't overly impressed with the twins, moreso with Aubrey Plaza? That's weird for me to say, as I love her in other things that she does, but it just seems like her voice isn't suited to this. Also, they already did the whole dispassionate shtick with Mai in the Legend of Aang.

I mean they were funny, but still.

Apart from that, it was an excellent episode.

Good solid start, Are we it take it then that these twins replace Asami as a main character? Not sure I like that, I thought it was great having a non bender as part of 'The Gang' so to speak.
    Apart from that not much else to add from above comments except I'm a bit disappointed with the presentation elements of the show. I would have thought with this being the opening episode of a new series we might have had the long version of the opening and,I presume we've all been using the Nick HD feed here, I didn't like this new system of rolling the credits under the last scenes of the episode, I can see that tactic ruining a cliffhanger ending, and besides I love the end credit music.

I still enjoying it... kinda but so far this season just hasnt clicked for me.

TLOK hasnt been a patch on TLOA in my opinion, but id be happy to be proven wrong if only something would actually happen in this season. So far its just been "oh were gonna have a civil war, no we're not, yes we are, no we're not, yes we are" or "Korra you can't fight, i want to, you can't, i want to, you can't".

Seriously getting a bit repeptitive and boring and now it seems we're returning to republic city to play politics? seriously?

I'm going to give it a chance still. TLOA didn't find it's true footing until maybe the second season. Remember how kiddyish it was at the very beginning? It's insane just how it doesn't compare to how it finished. I'm hoping it'll get into its stride this season.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In our house we're both enjoying it a lot and I do agree that it was in Season 2 that The Last Airbender took off (speaking of which - this thread should really be renamed to Avatar: The Legend of Korra). Korra though is not as likeable as Aang being a more stroppy scene.

However, whatever small faults there may be, are immediately forgiven in this episode:

tumblr_mttc25uER61ruu897o10_250.gif
    Blueberry Spice Head, Princess Rainbow, Twinkle Star Child and Juniper Lightning Bug are automatically one of the greatest creatures of all time and should appear in every episode.

MUCH better episode. I've enjoyed the last few but I didn't think they were a patch on season 1. However this looks like the proper story has started now. Really looking forward to the rest of the season now.

Only concern though is (Trying not to sound like richard dower) that viewership has dropped this season and that it is apparently moving to the Nick Toons channel in the states. Hopefully this won't impact on their long term plans and they'll stick to their story arc.

Oh excellent, I can really see this season building to something excellent - all out war between the South and the North and the spirits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm finding Korra very unlikeable this season - like she's been reset and none of her development from season 1 ever happened. She's way too confrontational and wild - dismissing Tenzin and her dad, nearly ramming the judge off a cliff, threatening him with Naga, and now bursting into Mako's office. It's just not cool...

Advertisement