Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 07-03-2011 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone who watched Avatar: The Last Airbender (the animated series, not the Shyamalan abomination) knows it was one of the best animated series in the last 10 years. I was surprised (and happy!) to hear that a sequel mini-series of 12 episodes is in development and is due to air this November on TV. Konietzko and DiMartino, creators of the original series, are writing all episodes of the sequel.

More info here and first promotional pic here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ADGOBE

sounds awsome really liked the first

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Hah, funny, I was just looking this up yesterday. I'd heard the announcement about it just before M. Knight Shambles film came out and was looking yesterday to see if there was a due date. November huh? Deadly. Really looking forward to it. Probably the best western animated series I've seen since Batman:TAS

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah being keeping track of this, hopefully if this gets the numbers this universe can be explored more thoroughly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have mostly given up on anime.
    But this.

I. Am. HYPED!!

Also: Polar Bear Dog.
    Best mount. Ever!
    Polarbeardog.jpg

The REAL Avatar, not James Cameron's giant smurfs or M Knight Shyalamalamalanmam's dismal snorefest, Airbender.

Taking place 70 years after the end of Avatar: The Last Airbender, it concentrates on a water bender, Korra in a time when bending is frowned upon. 26 episodes are planned and apparently the plan is for Avatar creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko to write all the episodes. The trailer looks cool and the animation excellent. (Just check out that statue of Aang

Cannot....... Wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks great alright! Merged with existing thread.

Hurry up and release this!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I remember reading somewhere that while it is only 12 episodes, there is the chance of there being more made. I rewatched the final 4 episodes there recently and they were just phenomenal, culminating in one of the greatest fight scenes in a long time between the Firelord/Phoenix King and Aang, and, of course, the heartwarming final scene.

Just worry that 12 episodes might not be enough to get the emotional connection going. Oh, I misread - 12 episodes for the first Book, I'm guessing, 3 seasons in total.

A bunch of new songs were just "leaked" by the track team, who for those of you who dont know did the entire music composition of the original series, needless to say its sounding pretty good.

I dont think ive been this excited about the start of a new series in my life

So episodes 1 & 2 just aired in the states and i have to say they were pretty damn awesome.
    So many awesome things to talk about.
    Its great that Katara is still alive so theres a link to the past for the fans however im guessing that her death will be a part of the series.
    Whats really interesting is how Korra is essentially the polar opposite of Aang. She is always on the offensive whereas Aang was much more evasive in his fighting style. Also she isnt exactly spiritual and that is gonna be a big part of the series im guessing, her unlocking the avatar state and learning how to commune with past avatars, specifically Aang, her meeting him is gonna be epic.
    Im still not completely sold on the massive leap in technology the world has taken but i do like the idea of the anti-bending movement.
    The pro-bending stuff is and interesting idea although i hope it doesnt take up too much of the show as it is very pokemoney

Only problem now is its gonna be about 2-3 weeks till they air episode 3

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update VinLieger. Been waiting for this for AGES!!! Just loaned my DVDs to my niece (And got a text last night at 1AM calling me all kinds of names for getting her hooked) so I need me fix.

Am I the only one that felt a bit of an emotional tang when Katara said that Sokka was dead?

My God - its .. amazing. Just watched the first episode and will be launching into the second one shortly, but .. the animation is superb, the voice acting is top notch, the bending sequences so far have been phenomenal.

It's like Nickelodeon has increased the budget ten fold!

I just watched the first two episodes and really loved them. The story has the potential to be pretty involved (I like that they're thinking long term with this being Book One!).

One thing that really stood out for me was the music.... absolutely stunning.

Now.... 2-3 weeks? :(

The music somewhat reminded me of Cowboy Beebop, which is an incredibly great thing. It kept moving between the traditional style from Last Airbender to this traditional/jazz infusion.

The scenes from the pro-bending matches were superb. Loved the little things - like Aang's son's wife about to say what happened to Zukko's mother before being interrupted, and many many more.

What's also great is they seem to have dumped the kiddy-kiddy vision that was in the first season of the previous show.

Mr E wrote: »
    I just watched the first two episodes and really loved them. The story has the potential to be pretty involved (I like that they're thinking long term with this being Book One!).

Unfortunately theyve already stated that at the moment its only 26 episodes across 2 seasons but apparently there is an option for more

I'd love if there was a maximum of three seasons. That was more than enough Legend of Aang.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I must say I really enjoyed those 2 episodes - I think I'm liking this series a lot more than the original so far. I can't wait to see more!

.... apart from maybe one or two....

I....... LOVED........ IT!!!!

I was a big fan of Avatar and could not wait to see this. Obviously, being only two episodes in, we can't tell how intriguing the overall story is going to be but so far, so good. The animation and design is just as wonderful and smooth as the original series. Amazing animation actually for a TV series. The character design really in keeping with the original series
    Does anyone think that Tenzin's wife, and especially his girls look a lot like Ty Lee? Hmmmm
    . And I liked all the references to the original series, even the sad ones.
    Sokka passing, Toph's legacy (awesome), the names of many of the new characters (Right down to Bato for Tenzin's Sky-Bison)
    . That was one of the strengths of Avatar - It didn't shy away from life and death situations. The humour was still there also from the scene with Tenzin's daughter asking about Zukko's mother to Korra's parting scene with the inspector.
    The writing was spot on too. Tenzin's kids are VERY funny
    I make no such promises
    and Tenzin and Korra themselves are very well written. Korra's feisty without being annoying or brattish. Her rebelliousness is completely understandable. As for the voice acting itself? Well I thought that was also top notch. I didn't find a single voice that didn't suit the character well.

So, overall, I thought, from what we've seen of the first two episodes, that it is a worthy successor nad certainly all I hoped it would be.

Anyone know when the next episode is airing??

The first two are officially on Saturday April 14th, so I'm guessing the third is on Saturday April 21st.

• Advertisement

So so so far away. Hopefully then they'll have a weekly run. How are Nickelodeon for screening shows? Are they like the rest and have gaps or could we potentially see a solid 13-week run?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Well the "official" airing of eps 1&2 happens at 11 am tomorrow in the states which means next week we get properly new episodes... YAY

I didn't actually realise that ep 1 & 2 were specially released early for fans; it got me too excited.

Good to know the wait is almost over.

This really does just keep getting better and better; the fight scene with the Chi-blockers was superb, the voice acting is still excellent, and we've got another pretty interesting villain.

mHLwb.jpg

Now to go find ep 3...

I hope it's ok for me to link to the 3rd episode for those who haven't seen it? Loved the latest episode! I'm really quite curious to see how the rest of this series pans out. Though I'm still not convinced of the plausibility of such technological advancement in such a short space of time...

I hope it's ok for me to link to the for those who haven't seen it? Loved the latest episode! I'm really quite curious to see how the rest of this series pans out. Though I'm still not convinced of the plausibility of such technological advancement in such a short space of time...

Pretty sure thats a no no, even though its not available to watch on tv over here its still not technically legal to stream or download it

Episode 3 was pretty awesome very curious as to how Amon learned how to spirit bend and who taught him cus i dont believe it was a spirit unless it was Ko'h. But im also on the fence as to whther he is actually spirit bending and if it isnt just some permanent chi blocking technique

I removed the link so. Even though the site is totally legal :P

• Advertisement

Another great episode. The voice casting just gets better and better. The fluid animation is amazing for a TV show (Hell, for any animation medium). The fight with the blockers was amazing. The writing is spot on- going from funny
    Tenzin's daughters teasing Korra about Mako and her method of getting rid of them made me laugh
    to serious
    The realization that the anti-bending group is more than just a bunch of nuts and has a huge following
    seamlessly. Not an easy feat.

I'm not overly gone on the look of the gangsters/some of the characters. Obviously this series owes a lot in it's look and music to Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop). This is great, I'm a big fan of his work (Currently enjoying "Kids On The Slope" even though it's only 2 episodes in) however I'm not overly gone on how stylized some of the characters are (Gangsters esp). It's not that they're bad, it's just that their look sometimes distracts me from the story for a sec.

It's a TINY complaint and I only brought it up to stop this being a love-fest :)

Advertisement