Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

For a book that's supposed to be about Spirits, there's not a lot about Spirits so far, it's all about Civil Wars.

flazio wrote: »
    For a book that's supposed to be about Spirits, there's not a lot about Spirits so far, it's all about Civil Wars.

In the Legend of Aang, the books Air, Fire, and Water were never about just those, there were always separate story lines, where each became integral to the plot. In this case, Korra is too distracted by the civil war to do her Avatar duty and so it'll likely become a battle between them and the Spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I didn't think Milo could talk so much. His conversations with Tensin were probably the most he's spoken all series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Hah, best episode of the season so far and it has practically no Korra. Awkward.

Story's picking up now. Funnily enough I wasn't massively keen on season one until episode six (the one where **** goes down at the championship final). So I'm hoping this season is building to something great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

my only problem this season is really that it seems a lot less focused then season 1.

But perhaps its because I didnt start watching the avatar series as it came out until Korra. I could imagine season 1 & 2 of the last airbender feeling a bit scattered at points and if I had to wait a week to see the next episode I could be a bit annoyed.

That and yes, they really do feel like they regressed Korra's character from the end of season 1. Which is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Very good episode. Great progression. Lots of seeds for the rest of the season/series.

Frieday's is a double episode!!!!!! (Season has obviously been building up to this. May give the series a bit more focus.)

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Hah, best episode of the season so far and it has practically no Korra. Awkward.
    And it had no Tenzin and his family at all. J.K. Simmons is a pretty big name for a prduction like this but he hasn't been given much to do this year so far.

Unbelievable double episode. Wan's a great hero and that last battle was just beautiful.

Those two episodes were just incredible. Sure, he wasn't a great hero, but I guess that was sorta the point? He was never meant to be, he just became one. Yes, the last battle was just stunning and the last scene when he eventually dies.. breathtaking. Everything about those episodes were excellent - the voice acting, the animation, the backdrops, the music. Again Korra stands above other shows.

that double bill could be in the running for best avatar episode ever (hell I'm pretty sure it tops the korra series easily)

we still have the issues that the main cast (korra, tenzin etc) were absent and most issues with season 2 so far have been with them.

But what was a scattered season so far has finally pulled into focus with this 2 parter so from here on out it should be a lot tighter and it is surprisingly much closer to the original series then it was to the first season (ticking clock, worldwide event etc)

I loved the first world, and I'll be a d*ck and say if they do a third avatar series following another character I somewhat want to go back to that world. Shame the whole journey was tied up in two episodes...

• Advertisement

rainbow_puke_2.jpg

That was simply stunning! Where to begin? From the beautiful, traditional Japanese and Chinese art design, to the fantastic character design and pitch-perfect voice casting: from the child-like spirits voices to Stephen Yuen's Wan. (Sure beats the drivel he's been given in the last few years on The Walking Dead)
    It was great to see Aang but seeing Roku and Kyoshi gave me goosebumps. Followed minutes later by more goosebumps when we see Wan doing the Dragon dance exactly like Aang and Zukko.

I loved the character of Wan. A flawed, three-dimensional character that was completely believable. My only concern is: Where do you go from here? There's no topping that!
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I loved the first world, and I'll be a d*ck and say if they do a third avatar series following another character I somewhat want to go back to that world. Shame the whole journey was tied up in two episodes...

To be honest, I'm glad they've done this. I'm sure he'll appear at a pivotal point (Probably the end of this season) to give some sound advice and we'll love these brief appearances. But they told his story beautifully.

Now to rewatch......

Do you think their needing Korra to open the spirit portals is actually a way to release this great evil?

I would assume that it could possess them too, making them as powerful and polar opposite to the Avatar, hopefully leading to a really interesting battle.

Do you think their needing Korra to open the spirit portals is actually a way to release this great evil?

I would assume that it could possess them too, making them as powerful and polar opposite to the Avatar, hopefully leading to a really interesting battle.

This.

This would, as someone said earlier, would mirror the Aang storyline nicely: Varatu/Unaloq instead of Ozai; Korra's more spiritual progression as opposed to the physical. She's even riding a Ski Bison for God's sake.

I think this is going to go all the way back to season 1 avatar. I may need to rewatch it, but perhaps Ang opened/weakened the seal on the northern spirit portal and from what I can quickly remember from this weeks episode the southern portal allows spirits to enter our world and the northern allows humans to enter the spirit world.

So with the northern one already broken in some fashion Unaloq has clearly met and is being guided by Varatu.

Taking control of the southern one is a means to use the harmonica convergence to free him I guess.

Other details I liked

The lemur spirit

The massive nod to Princess Monomoke in the latter half of the first episode. In fact the whole story has a monomoke vibe to it.

The complete opposite effect to the star wars prequels. Where the revelation of what the force is in episode 1 was such a loathed and despised action. Here the reveal of *what (or more who)* the avatar state is proves to be a touching and enhancing revelation.

Though I dont know how it would hold up to scrutiny with how the second/third season of the last airbender had it being locked away via the breaking of a chakra point.

Finally the symbol of the avatar state (the four elements spinning around a subject is actually a seal which is interesting.

Now that's more like it. Superb writing. Loved it.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Taking control of the southern one is a means to use the harmonica convergence to free him I guess.

Oh man. I love the idea of a harmonica convergence.

habit.

I play harmonica so wrote that by mistake :D

Would that be something like the Dueling Banjos?

As for the whole Mononoke thing? At the time it reminded me of Spirited Away. As soon as you saw all the spirits streaming across the bridge to the spa I thought of Chihiro seeing the spirits pouring into Yubabba's for the first time.

I still can't get over the voice acting on this particular episode......... It's easy to see that Andrea Romano is the best voice casting director in the business: From Batman:TAS to this . Stellar work

oh wow...

this weeks episode is a massive love letter to fans of the first series. Some really nice nods and a few dark ones.

The series has really picked up since they focused it. Massive spoilers below, really dont look unless you want things ruined.
    Iroh!!!!!! I almost cried when he showed up to help chibi korra and the library, the betrayal and the sadness of knowing the good doctor died :(

Fantastic episode. Moving connections to Aang that were done just right.
    Got goosebumps when you heard Iroh's voice: That sounds like..... Great to see the young Korra. Cute character design with the belly and all that. The tea party was great. Wonderful Spiritworld characters and especially the bit where Korra says "My teapot!" (As opposed to "Wan's Teapot")

Great to see series back on track. And, once again, anticipating the next episodes. Don't know if actually true or not but even the animation quality seems better post "Beginnings". The only thing is
    Seeing Iroh there really highlights the fact that the series needs an Iroh-like character. It needs a Zukko/Iroh pairing. The wonderful thing about Aang was the development of the characters. From Zukko's big bad to conflicted tragic figure to ally and hero. To Sokka's comedy sidekick to great strategist with self doubt. There is no real character that has had that kind of story arc

According to IMDb he next two weeks (15th/22nd) are EACH two parters. Giggiddy. So it looks like they might be wrapping up this story this season. I hope they actually don't though. Would like to see this story go on now it's got focus and we've gotten our teeth stuck into it.

• Advertisement

you would think they'd let this story run multiple seasons. I mean the only reason season 1 ended up getting wrapped up the way it did was because it was originally only going to be 1 series and only got extended during it's run.

I'd like to hope
    this season ends with vatu getting free but being drained he is forced to merge with a human like the avatar and the next season is chasing this new *evil* avatar.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    you would think they'd let this story run multiple seasons. I mean the only reason season 1 ended up getting wrapped up the way it did was because it was originally only going to be 1 series and only got extended during it's run.

I'd like to hope
    this season ends with vatu getting free but being drained he is forced to merge with a human like the avatar and the next season is chasing this new *evil* avatar.

I was thinking something like that too. And if it was only a two-parter then I'd say, yeah, that's how they'd go. But since it's Two two-parters there's enough time to go further and finish it out. Although maybe part will be focusing on Akami and the rest of the Scooby Gang and yer man taking over her company and that will let them end in such a way.

I know they greenlit season 3 + 4 but ratings for this season have been down on season 1 apparently (Although hopefully good word-of-mouth regarding the last few episodes hopefully improved them again). So hopefully they'll continue as planned with 3 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well that's tomorrow's watching sorted
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/11/15/the-legend-of-korra-finale-debuting-tonight

4 episodes to watch. 2 airing on tv in the States and the 2 part finale debuting online later tonight

well that was a solid season finale...

overall the series picked up once it got focused. I do wish it had gotten focused sooner but once it got moving it was quite good.

Also lot of potential from the ending and genuine concrete change.

more thoughts when I have time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

As a seaon it wasnt great although the last 6 episodes did kind of save it for me.

More of that please next season

For me, everything from "Beginnings" was great. I thought it was floundering at the start with Korra unlikeable, the gang off on their own thing and characters with little to do. Most of this was tied up nicely in the finale. Although poor auld Asami had little to do. I wasn't overly gone on the whole final battle: Thought it just came across as pretty generic anime monster fighting until the end.(And this is coming from an anime fan.)
    I loved Jinora's story arc and, assuming they continue with production on season 3 and 4, she'll obviously have a much bigger part given her innate connection to the spirit world. And I loved: It's Jinora, and she looks beautiful.... Be careful sweetie!!!!!
    Loved the fog of lost souls. Can't believe they actually got Jason Isaccs back for his Zhao scene. Thought that was amazing. Another nice little throw back.

I do think that this was a much better finale than last season in that it really sets up season 3 and 4: Korra has to reestablish the link to past avatars; the ramifications of the spirit world and physical worlds now being connected - this really changes everything; What has happened to the "dark avatar" (Is there now a dark avatar cycle?).

It will be interesting to see the new, mature and complete Korra in the next seasons.

I know they were in production of season 3 and even recording season 4 apparently. However ratings did drop seriously at the start (Understandably) but they picked up again from "Beginnings" on so hopefully they'll continue. Will be a tense couple of months until we know for sure.

Loved the last few episodes. Although I still have issues with a lot of what happened on an intellectual level, now that the season as a whole is wrapped up:
    • Jinora is magic? I don't understand
    • Korra can become a giant blue thing and shoot Korra beams? I don't understand
    • Was Varrick's aim really to help the south, or just to profit from war?
    • Won't Vaatu just regenerate inside Korra, like Rava did in Unalaq?
    • Why exactly were spirits attacking the southern tribe at the start of the season? Unalaq's doing, as justification for occupancy?
    • We never really were told what that water-bending spirit calming/soul-trapping technique is all about
    • Were Korra's dad and his mates really just standing around on a hill for the entire season waiting for Korra to come back? We got loads of references to a "civil war" but we were shown absolutely nothing on screen. Kind of cheap.
    • Rava "died" temporarily, cutting off Korra's connection to all of her past lives. But if Rava was "reset", why can Korra still bend four elements
    That's quite a list, but it doesn't really impact on my overall enjoyment of the finale. Loved the culmination of Tenzin's daddy issues arc, and almost all of the fight scenes were breathtaking. Especially loved the shot of Mako, Tenzin, Kya and Bolin going all-out on the spirits approaching Korra's body. Seeing a real-life Bumi tall tale happen was another highlight.

Altogether, I had my doubts at the start of this season but the second half really brought it together. Easily on a par with Book 1. Roll on books 3 and 4!

For me, everything from "Beginnings" was great. I thought it was floundering at the start with Korra unlikeable, the gang off on their own thing and characters with little to do. Most of this was tied up nicely in the finale. Although poor auld Asami had little to do. I wasn't overly gone on the whole final battle: Thought it just came across as pretty generic anime monster fighting until the end.(And this is coming from an anime fan.)
    I loved Jinora's story arc and, assuming they continue with production on season 3 and 4, she'll obviously have a much bigger part given her innate connection to the spirit world. And I loved: It's Jinora, and she looks beautiful.... Be careful sweetie!!!!!
    Loved the fog of lost souls. Can't believe they actually got Jason Isaccs back for his Zhao scene. Thought that was amazing. Another nice little throw back.

I do think that this was a much better finale than last season in that it really sets up season 3 and 4: Korra has to reestablish the link to past avatars; the ramifications of the spirit world and physical worlds now being connected - this really changes everything; What has happened to the "dark avatar" (Is there now a dark avatar cycle?).

It will be interesting to see the new, mature and complete Korra in the next seasons.

I know they were in production of season 3 and even recording season 4 apparently. However ratings did drop seriously at the start (Understandably) but they picked up again from "Beginnings" on so hopefully they'll continue. Will be a tense couple of months until we know for sure.

Someone on another board pointed out that as Unalaq died while in the avatar state, his avatar cycle is broken and he won't reincarnate with Vaatu.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I marathoned the entire series this morning. I'm glad I did - it really picked up the pace at Beginnings and became a show worth the investment. Before that I wasn't all that bothered, to be honest.

The finale was pretty entertaining but ultimately not satisfying. There were too many plot devices introduced too late in the season or not really explained thoroughly enough. For example, WHY could Jinora's spirit be a homing beacon for the piece of Rava inside Unaloq/Vaatu? Is that even what happened there?? Why on earth can Iroh survive in the spirit world - does death not mean anything in the avatar universe (not gonna lie though, seeing Iroh interact with Chibi-Korra made me :D:D:D:D:D )
    A Neurotic wrote: »

• Korra can become a giant blue thing and shoot Korra beams? I don't understand
    • Rava "died" temporarily, cutting off Korra's connection to all of her past lives. But if Rava was "reset", why can Korra still bend four elements

These are my main two issues with this season too. I don't think either was adequately explained tbh. Especially the second there, as I was under the impression that Rava had to hold the other elements for the avatar.

As for this:
    • Won't Vaatu just regenerate inside Korra, like Rava did in Unalaq?

I'm pretty sure he will, which I'm hoping will be the story arc of Books 3 and 4. That'll make the Legend of Korra into an Epic to rival/surpass Legend of Aang if it's handled well. I'm looking forward to it :D

Advertisement