Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'm just in shock about how wonderful the finale was. What will they even have to do in Season 2? :pac: Rebuild Republic City, I guess. Let Korra get glowy against some bad guys. They'll probably search to discover what happened to Amon, though they never will. And Osami and Bolin will get together? :P

Holy. ****.

Was that the first ever possible death? That was incredible, how Tarlock and Amon together, reaches over, grabs the electric glove and .. woah.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

tumblr_m639zouZQG1rvqyozo2_500.png

tumblr_m634bybyvL1qjgtca.gif

I have so many feelings right now, oh Amon :(

This episode made me feel so much for them, he was such a good brother.
    Why did he have to die? Ozai was worse than him and he didn't die.

Oh, PS: I still hate Mako, that little bitch didn't even break up with Asami before he kissed Korra, I hope she gets with General Iroh and they get married and live happily and Mako can go be a whiney douchebag elsewhere. He doesn't deserve you Asami baby!

Amon was terribly misguided though. I'll be interested to see how his storyline is resolved in Book 2; it's not like Team Avatar know he's dead yet.

Amon was terribly misguided though. I'll be interested to see how his storyline is resolved in Book 2; it's not like Team Avatar know he's dead yet.

Still, Ozai instigated genocide, thats worse than anything Amon did (not saying Amon was right or a good guy but he was more three dimensional than Ozai, who was more of a 'generic badguy')

Tarrlok turned out to be a brave man though, I believe the whole murder-suicide thing was a self-sacrafice, he could have just run away and started life over in somewhere remote, but Tarrlok knew what his brother had become and how messed up he was, so he chose to break the cycle and kill them both. :(

• Advertisement

Too soon?

tumblr_m64vwuIkEf1roer81o1_1280.jpg

You guys need to check out the Korra tags on tumblr, really good stuff on there, the creators of the show, Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino have tumblrs too! :D

Did Amon get some kind of facelift? He's clearly brown-skinned as a young Water Tribe boy, but he's really pale in the present day. Next to Tarlok, he doesn't look like a water-bender...

Did Amon get some kind of facelift? He's clearly brown-skinned as a young Water Tribe boy, but he's really pale in the present day. Next to Tarlok, he doesn't look like a water-bender...

I didn't wanna bring it up here but, that really bothered me.

Coz he is not 'tanned' he's naturally dark skinned, big difference.
    No one who is born with naturally dark skin goes THAT pale, even if they have been wearing a mask for years. Thats not how skin works.

Edit: Water Tribe people are not "white people with a tan", they're based on Inuits. There are no white people in this world, its based on Inuit and Asian culture.

Is it possible that he had a face lift like his father did?

His hands and neck were also pale though? It shouldn't bother me, but I did find it annoying how he basically changed skin types :/

• Advertisement

Not too sure. I'm guessing it could be explained at some point, as we still don't know what happened between when Tarlock last saw him and when he became Amon. I'm assuming it was known that he had to take off his mask eventually, so if he did and it was seen that he was tanned, then they'd realize he could be a water bender.

Wonder what happened to the main Equalist, that Amon threw into the boards.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent finale and indeed excellent season. I was just saying to the bf that they packed more characterisation into 12 20-minute episodes than most shows do in 22 40-minute ones. Shows the quality of the writing.

Amon was a very good villain - he was horribly misguided but he actually had good intentions. That's how you do a villain well and not some mad lunatic. Many shows could learn from this.
    And killing him - brave for a kid's show!

My only two niggles:
    - Osami got messed around. Korra and Mako should apologise to her.

- It was a little too easy / quick for Korra to get her powers back. Now the method was perfectly reasonable and made sense but I would have liked to have seen the consequences a bit more. I think a wrap-up episode with Korra seeking out her power, and communication with Aang, would have been a little bit better.

I've seen people on various internet sites complain about the Amon thing, I think the reason it does bother them so much is the racist undertones, given the whitewashing that happen in the godawful Last Airbender movie (where they cast all the main heros as white people) There are non-white fans of this show who are sensitive to this kind of thing, i.e. showing a character as brown skinned as a child and white skinned as an adult, which they have every right to be pissed off about tbh, consider the implications.

Wonder what happened to the main Equalist, that Amon threw into the boards.

OMG I heard someone on tumblr say it felt like a break-up speech when he was all like "you lied to me Amon". He was totes in love with him. LOL :D

I'd say there was no intentional racist allusions though. Yes, it was a diabolical choice to have Aang, Sokka and Katara as all white.

Speaking of which, have people heard of Rifftrax? They're the same people that did the Mystery Science Theatre. They couldn't get the rights to modern movies like they could to old B-movies, so they're basically audio-tracks in sync with the movie that comment and rip the piss out of them. Was watching their one on the Last Airbender and it's brilliant.

I Love Rifftrax :D

Yes, I doubt the creators had racist intentions.
    I'm just pointing out the unfortunate implications when you show someone as dark skinned as a child and then light skinned as an adult, if people want to complain than they are fully within their right, but I'm prob not gonna say anything else about this because there is nothing really more to say. They shouldn't have done it, lets leave it at that.

It was likely a colouring error (I hope) and not intentional.

About what someone was saying earlier, I do agree that the show has some pacing issues (prob because they squeezed it all in to only 12 episodes). And it did feel like Korra got it all handed to her in the end.

Also, remember at the very end when she rejects Mako's love because she has lost her bending and doesn't feel very worthy of his love?
    Thats a pretty big issue to explore. It seems Korra's entire self-esteem is based on her bending ability, without it she feels unworthy as a person and unworthy of love.

I would have loved it if they didn't give her her bending back so quickly and instead gave Korra a chance to grow and learn her self-worth as a person. Give her a few episodes of season 2 learning to cope without it and learning to love herself regardless, it would have been great character development. But NO, they had to give her her bending back and instantly make everything better and she runs off into Mako's arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I was surprised she gained her restorative powers so quickly, whilst also regaining her bending, but I know the writers must've wanted to get it out of the way as they've gotten something massive planned for Book 2 and don't want to shed an episode of a relatively short season getting to it.

The Aang-Tenzin bait and switch was genius. My only real kerfuffle with the Book 1 finale is I don't have requisite imagination to envision where they go from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It may not have been intentionallt racist but there is no question in my mind that whitewashing in the movie and television industries is racist and it worries me when people just pass it off as accidental.
    The people behind the movie made a conscious decision to have white actors playing characters who are unquestionably of inuit origin.
    Heres an incredibly worrying example of peoples attitudes and why whitewashing is very deffinitely a choice made as regards who the makers think will be watching the movie

http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunger-games-fans-dont-care-how-much-money-the-movie-made

VinLieger wrote: »
    It may not have been intentionallt racist but there is no question in my mind that whitewashing in the movie and television industries is racist and it worries me when people just pass it off as accidental.
    The people behind the movie made a conscious decision to have white actors playing characters who are unquestionably of inuit origin.
    Heres an incredibly worrying example of peoples attitudes and why whitewashing is very deffinitely a choice made as regards who the makers think will be watching the movie

http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunger-games-fans-dont-care-how-much-money-the-movie-made

You are absolutly correct about the movie of course.
    I meant that I don't think the Amon whitewashing was intentional, at least I hope to God it wasn't, the movie was intentional for sure

I think when people say things like 'but skin colour doesn't matter' they are missing the point. It shouldn't matter, but it does matter. The fact is, they took a story based in Asian culture and mythology and cast all the heros as white and all the backround characters as non-white speaks volumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I was also a little disappointed in how quickly Korra got her powers back, it felt a bit rushed and it would have been more interesting to see her deal with the consequences for a while longer. Also interesting that she kept her air-bending, rather than her default water-bending - a gift from Aang perhaps?

I'd need to watch it again but if you look at before and after pictures of Yakone, his skin tone seems darker after his surgery to fit in with the water tribe. Maybe it's implied that Amon did the same in reverse? I'd be surprised by intentional racism on this show (the movie doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned)

Penny-Arcade did a Korra comic!

elekid wrote: »
    I was also a little disappointed in how quickly Korra got her powers back, it felt a bit rushed and it would have been more interesting to see her deal with the consequences for a while longer. Also interesting that she kept her air-bending, rather than her default water-bending - a gift from Aang perhaps?

She kept her water bending because she hadnt "unlocked" it yet so amon couldnt block her from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

VinLieger wrote: »
    She kept her water bending because she hadnt "unlocked" it yet so amon couldnt block her from it

I thought it had to do with the lessons from episode 1

water, earth and fire all draw from a physical notion (muscles, breath, stance) but air as tensin described it, flowed and rode the wind and directed them rather then controlling them.

So if bloodbending was physically damaging the body sealing of key chi points or flows then it actually couldnt block air bending because air bending didnt draw on the same source as the other three.

Much like how Korra had such difficulty in understanding air bending because it was so different to the other elements. Amon is also a waterbender so would equally be ignorant of airbending and not know what chi pathways or physical muscles are used in controlling it.

I'd wager Amon's ability was the equivilent of putting a blood clot on key chi points, much like how azula's lightning at the end of season 2 broke a ckey chi point for ang. If he doesnt know how the bending works then he cant seal it and would need to physically control an airbender like a normal bloodbender.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I thought it had to do with the lessons from episode 1

water, earth and fire all draw from a physical notion (muscles, breath, stance) but air as tensin described it, flowed and rode the wind and directed them rather then controlling them.

So if bloodbending was physically damaging the body sealing of key chi points or flows then it actually couldnt block air bending because air bending didnt draw on the same source as the other three.

Much like how Korra had such difficulty in understanding air bending because it was so different to the other elements. Amon is also a waterbender so would equally be ignorant of airbending and not know what chi pathways or physical muscles are used in controlling it.

I'd wager Amon's ability was the equivilent of putting a blood clot on key chi points, much like how azula's lightning at the end of season 2 broke a ckey chi point for ang. If he doesnt know how the bending works then he cant seal it and would need to physically control an airbender like a normal bloodbender.

Yes but if he knows which chi points block earth water and fire it stands to reason he would have the knowledge to block air as well. Also he was pretty confident he could block Tenzin and the kids airbending.
    Im of the opinion it was a more general blocking of the ability to bend rather than specific to the type of bending he was blocking. Which is why Korras airbending wasnt blocked by him as it was still blocked by her due to her inability to connect with her spiritual side.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Much like how Korra had such difficulty in understanding air bending because it was so different to the other elements.

This was my interpretation. He had never blocked an air bender before and hadn't quite mastered it. Given more time he may have been able to figure it out.

Wow. I only just realized that Tenzin was voiced by J.K. Simmons, of Spiderman and Portal 2 fame.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Wow. I only just realized that Tenzin was voiced by J.K. Simmons, of Spiderman and Portal 2 fame.
    I'll always see him as the leader of the Aryan Brotherhood Vern Schillinger in "Oz".

ixoy wrote: »
    I'll always see him as the leader of the Aryan Brotherhood Vern Schillinger in "Oz".

I never even realized that was him!

WOOOOO Nickelodeon have ordered 26 more episodes after the 14 set for next year, so were either gonna see a massive book 3 or 2 similar sized books 3 and 4
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/11/legend-of-korra-second-season/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great news! I hope it doesn't dilute the story, though... As long as DiMartino and Konietzko stay involved, it should continue the quality of the first season.

From reading previous interviews with them, it seemed like both were hoping for 3 seasons anyway. I really hope they have an endgame too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Shamefully, I just got around to watching this now. Wow, it was amazing and leaves me very excited for the follow on seasons. Only gripe I had was with how fast Korra got her powers back but it was only a minor issue.

Advertisement