Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra [** Spoilers **]

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

matrim wrote: »
    Not related to your point but is a metal benders having metal armour is a good idea? Its find against other element benders but surely it's leaving your own armour as something an attacker can use against you if you are fighting another metal bender.

I think it was a good idea here because Kuvira was throwing extremely sharp pieces of metal at her.

Otherwise, I presume for one metalbender to mess with another one's armour would provoke a kind of bending tug-of-war thing and probably isn't the best strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Nothing to do with the current series, but it's funny:
    http://9gag.com/gag/aVQ2nmP?ref=fb.s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

They've been touting the fact the finale is an hour long. Well, the combination of the last two episodes. Now, I wonder, if that's a TV hour, with commercials, or an actual, matter-of-fact hour. They've kept the standard TV running-time of 22 minutes, even within online distribution and having only returned to Nicktoons in the last few weeks.

It's a niggly thing, but it's an extra 10+ minutes of Korra. There was an extra few minutes thrown onto Aang's closing 4-parter.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    They've been touting the fact the finale is an hour long. Well, the combination of the last two episodes. Now, I wonder, if that's a TV hour, with commercials, or an actual, matter-of-fact hour.
    I'd be shocked if it's more than TV hour, so only actually 44 minutes or so of TV. It's nearly always how they present things in the US. Even more likely now that it's airing on the TV station itself and not just online.

Well then. I wasn't quite expecting Kuvira to be that psychotic. I don't see how Batar will do anything other than help Korra now that Kuvira has tried to kill him. Perhaps a little obvious from a plot point of view, but I guess they need to move the plot quickly now.

The cost cutting is obvious all over the place in this episode too: all the stills during the evacuation especially. I just hope they've saved it all for next week's finale.

• Advertisement

Chimaera wrote: »
    Well then. I wasn't quite expecting Kuvira to be that psychotic. I don't see how Batar will do anything other than help Korra now that Kuvira has tried to kill him.
    Kuvira will see it merely as weighing the pros and cons - a clean surgical kill will achieve her aims better than a prolonged battle. Batar just a casualty of war. She's a cold fish.
    You're right though - Batar will just tell the rest the machine's weak point and off they go to take it out. I'm guessing the first half of the story next week will be the battle and then it will focus on picking up the pieces an deciding how to progress.
    The cost cutting is obvious all over the place in this episode too: all the stills during the evacuation especially. I just hope they've saved it all for next week's finale.
    Yep - I noticed that. We're watching "Attack on Titan" at the moment too and they use those sort of scenes a lot but I can't recall seeing it in Avatar before.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Caught up this morning (skipping remembrances) and I'm up to date. The last few episodes were very good. The Baatar development in the last episode was a bit predictable though. Hopefully there will still be a few surprises in the closing episodes.

ixoy wrote: »
    Yep - I noticed that. We're watching "Attack on Titan" at the moment too and they use those sort of scenes a lot but I can't recall seeing it in Avatar before.

They did it a bit in Book 1 of Korra.

Lin's "I'll see if there's any survivors" and the fact Kuvira pretty much shot at all the important players, makes me wonder if they're offing someone next week.
    Mr E wrote: »
    Caught up this morning (skipping remembrances) and I'm up to date. The last few episodes were very good. The Baatar development in the last episode was a bit predictable though. Hopefully there will still be a few surprises in the closing episodes.

Remembrances is worth it for the 4-5 minutes of new content they shoved in there. It's got a couple of interesting character bits, with Korra and Mako, but the Bolin and Varrick business nearly saves the whole thing. Byrne and Higgins are a match made in comedy heaven.

They did a live table-read at Comic Con 2012, and how anyone gets any work done around Bryne is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jJdMjYdTMM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Yeah I also think one or two people were killed in that attack

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Someone told me season 4 was only 7 episodes long so I stopped watching after Wu got captured in episode 7! Aaah!!!

That explains why the end didn't make sense, I thought there'll be a new season.

I'm such an idiot! If I hadn't seen this thread, I would never have seen the rest :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well then. I wasn't quite expecting Kuvira to be that psychotic. I don't see how Batar will do anything other than help Korra now that Kuvira has tried to kill him. Perhaps a little obvious from a plot point of view, but I guess they need to move the plot quickly now.

Mr E wrote: »
    red dave wrote: »
    Yeah I also think one or two people were killed in that attack

Baatar killed, maybe? Would make things interesting and rule out the obvious route of him turning on Kuvira and helping Korra scenario...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Baatar killed, maybe? Would make things interesting and rule out the obvious route of him turning on Kuvira and helping Korra scenario...

Given the obvious size of the explosion the only way I can see them getting away without more being killed is if Korra went into some the Avatar state and threw up a protective spirit bubble (similar to what Aang did with air(?) when he was trapped under the ice)

That could potentially lead to how Korra defeats the giant death robot. The spirit weapon makes the same noise that we had during the fight between the vaatu and rava (giant Korra and Uanlaq), so if she goes full avatar state she might be able to deflect / absorb the spirit energy

Yep. Was not ready for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The final 2 episodes are "available" now.
    Amazing finale. The ending with Asami & Korra was well done and was hinted at over the last 2 seasons.

You can see how technology is taking over and the Avatar is not nearly needed as much as she was in Aangs time. It was nice to see nearly everyone having their hero moment.

Gonna miss this show.

Been reading a lot of accussations as to it being fan service, but for a book whose pacing demanded a not inconsiderable amount of patience, it seems only right that it be rewarded in the closing act.

It is quite beautiful how these became not stories of the immense Avatar power and constantly having proceedings devolve into 'and now, the Avatar state', but that of those who came to wield such powers and gaining the wisdom as characters to know when to dispense it.

Aang outright won it with the state, but gained his victory with own honest mercy. Korra, likewise, saw fit that the final shot be one of rhetorics.

With diverting into hyperbole, I am hard done to conceive of stories likewise satisfying as the Avatar books.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Really enjoyed that had it all really, glad I was able to watch whole series and the stories were done justice.

Good ending. Not on the grand scale of Aang's finale but it worked for the characters. My only serious gripe is that Korra wasn't reconnected with the previous Avatars. With all the spirit energy being thrown around during this book, and especially during the final battle, I was hoping that somehow it'd result in that connection being restored.

Sad that the whole thing has come to an end though. I wonder if we'll get a series of follow-on comics like we got with TLA?

Loved the finale. Here's the music from the ending, on the composer's soundcloud. I can't stop listening to it.

https://soundcloud.com/jeremy-zuckerman/the-legend-of-korra

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Must say, I loved the finale. The showdown was everything I wanted it to be, every character had their moment and in the end Korra won with her compassion and not her glowy power (half expected her to be a giant blue spirit again and fight toe to toe with the mecha suit).

I was also half expecting Korra and Mako to get back together which I would have felt was a big cop out. I was so glad it ended the way it did.

Overall, a very satisfying ending to a brilliant series!

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Loved the finale. Here's the music from the ending, on the composer's soundcloud. I can't stop listening to it.

Korra ending theme

In fear of finding what I want to find, the Korrasami theme has remnants of both Korra's ending song and, more interestingly, Avatar's Love theme (otherwise known as the Kataang song, as it would play exclusively during flirty/love-y scenes between Katara and Aang, and, well, during their eventual union).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t49awwcktN0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Looking back over all four seasons of a series I completely enjoyed I do feel a lot of what people point to as the flaws keep coming back to a series that the creators had complete faith in but the corporation flip flopped on.

Season 1 went from being the *only* korra mini series the the first of four. This led to that awkward transition from season 1 into season 2 (where rightly everyone pointed out that the characters felt like they got regressed, especially Korra) it wasnt til the second half of season 2 that everything clicked into place again.

Season 3 felt much more comfortable due it being so firmly in place as a middle season between 2 and 4 and is probably why it'll top most people's list of best of the series moments.

But then corporation flip flopping I felt hurt season 4 again and while there is a very strong story there it was hurt by its distinctly limited run and cuts.

At the heart of it all I still blame M. Night Shamalyn, I think if he hadnt done such a balls of the avatar movie, nickelodeon would be banking on the franchise more as a whole rather then the current status quo where it's the odd off shoot with a strong fanbase following.

On the finale itself, there are things that I nitpick about.

such as the conductivity of platinum and why no one tried lightning on the damn robot.

but overall I'm satisfied

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Great ending and well earned I thought. Of all the joking that was done about the Korra-Asami relationship, it felt right at the end.

On the off-chance you need your interpretation of the closing shot validated, co-creator DiMartino outright confirms it.

http://mikedimartinostory.com/2014/12/22/korrasami-confirmed/
    Now that Korra and Asami’s final moment is out in the world, it seems like an appropriate time to express how I feel about it. I didn’t want to say anything right away so the audience could experience the finale for themselves.
    The main themes of the Avatar universe have always revolved around equality, justice, acceptance, tolerance, and balancing differing worldviews. In subtle and maybe not so subtle ways, Avatar and Legend of Korra have dealt with difficult subjects such as genocide, child abuse, deaths of loved ones, and post traumatic stress. I took it as a complement when Joanna Robinson of Vanity Fair called the show subversive. There were times even I was surprised we were able to delve into the really tough stuff on a children’s TV network. While the episodes were never designed to “make a statement”, Bryan and I always strove to treat the more difficult subject matter with the respect and gravity it deserved.
    And over the years we’ve heard from numerous fans, in person and online, how Avatar and Korra have influenced their lives for the better or helped them overcome a life struggle or setback. I am always humbled when people share their personal stories with us and I am grateful that my love for telling stories has been able to help people in some small way. So while Avatar and Korra were always meant to be entertaining and engaging tales, this universe and its characters also speak to the deeper humanity in all of us, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, culture, nationality, or sexual orientation.
    Our intention with the last scene was to make it as clear as possible that yes, Korra and Asami have romantic feelings for each other. The moment where they enter the spirit portal symbolizes their evolution from being friends to being a couple. Many news outlets, bloggers, and fans picked up on this and didn’t find it ambiguous. For the most part, it seems like the point of the scene was understood and additional commentary wasn’t really needed from Bryan or me. But in case people were still questioning what happened in the last scene, I wanted to make a clear verbal statement to complement the show’s visual one. I get that not everyone will be happy with the way that the show ended. Rarely does a series finale of any show satisfy that show’s fans, so I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the positive articles and posts I’ve seen about Korra’s finale.
    I’ve already read some heartwarming and incredible posts about how this moment means so much for the LGBT community. Once again, the incredible outpouring of support for the show humbles me. As Tenzin says, “Life is one big bumpy ride.” And if, by Korra and Asami being a couple, we are able to help smooth out that ride even a tiny bit for some people, I’m proud to do my part, however small it might be. Thanks for reading.

The other co-creator, Bryan Konietzko, has come out likewise in a bit of a longer post.

http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/

Excellent series finale - best I've seen this year (and watched it after the lacklustre 'Newsroom' finale). It had a lot of things going for it: some great action, everyone working together and a strong demonstration of how much Korra has grown as a person. The fact they had enough guts to go with the final shot is the icing on the cake.

They certainly left it open for more story so hopefully, like with 'Avatar: The Last Airbender', we get some graphic novel spin offs.
    Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    On the off-chance you need your interpretation of the closing shot validated, co-creator DiMartino outright confirms it. [/url]
    Great that they actually confirmed it. Despite it being flippin' obvious, there were still a significant minority online who would only perceive it as friendship.

ixoy wrote: »
    They certainly left it open for more story so hopefully, like with 'Avatar: The Last Airbender', we get some graphic novel spin offs.

Given that they're still producing TLA comics (there's a new one coming out next year - "Smoke and Shadow") I'd be hopeful that we'll see some TLoK ones in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

whoa!! i must be so dense, i did not cop that korra and asami had developed romantic feelings!! i just thought the writers were going for a thelma and louise type ending to avoid a predictable ending Korra ends up with Mako. Now when i think about it, they did have a very close relationship once they became good friends. i'm going to miss the avatar universe once again and i hope it comes back again in some shape or form!

Nice interview with Jeremy Zuckerman about the music used in the final scene here.

Given that they're still producing TLA comics (there's a new one coming out next year - "Smoke and Shadow") I'd be hopeful that we'll see some TLoK ones in due course.

'Scuse the necrobumpishness, but, per Comic Con, it seems we're getting a comic series continuing directly on from the finale.

11700804_1153365534680038_6113698642097456909_n.jpg?oh=268ca7ad908e0da3413bee8a8b7f09dd&oe=56574425

Advertisement